PDA

View Full Version : Shorten 700 barrel

blaster22
02-14-07, 14:05
Have a PSS. Getting a 700 Varmit .308. Want a handier length for field shooting. 300 - 500 yards max. Shorten to 18" or 20"? Varmit is used from friend, good stick. Opinions/experiences, please.

mark5pt56
02-14-07, 20:47
I had the LTR, no issues out to 600. By the way, what's the actual barrel length on an M1A?

nyeti
02-15-07, 02:18
All of our snipers use Tac Ops Tango 51 rifles with 18 inch barrels. They prefer this set up over longer barrels and they are disturbingly accurate. As long as you have a good barrel and good dope for the distance, length should not be a huge issue. I definately prefer the handling of a shorter rifle.

03humpalot
02-15-07, 02:36
M1A standard length barrel is 22in,

mike240
02-15-07, 06:05
My work rifle is a 18 inch #7 Lilja barreled 308 in a McMillan action. I like the short barrel for urban work and have no issues with the accuracy. They are a bit "jumpier" than the 24-26 inch barrel models we have when shooting from the bipod, when rested on a solid surface (asphalt etc). But when shooting prone I like a pack anyway. When I need to shoot off the bipod, I put the legs inside the scope cover to reduce the bounce.

blaster22
02-22-07, 16:01
Update- Got it! Feels GREAT with the 18" barrel. Nice crown job. Put on an old Burris 3x9. Need to shoot it. If it shoots as good as it looks, I'll be chopping my Savage .223 FP to 18". Stand by.

andy t
02-22-07, 23:29
blaster22,

If you don't mind me asking, how much such a job costs and how long it took?
Did you look for a gunsmith specializing in precision rifles ?

Thanks,

Andrew.

tikkafan
02-22-07, 23:57
Shorter barrels are stiffer and whip less. You lose velocity but may gain accuracy.

blaster22
02-23-07, 08:38
Andy- Not sure what it costs, it was part of the deal that my friend get it chopped. I'd guess $75 or so (no refinish included). Done in a couple days. Any full-service smithy can chop/crown barrels. A real gunsmith has a lathe and other power machines. That's the difference between armorers and gunsmiths. Training and equipment. I am an armorer on several different weapons (got the certificate AND the tee shirt!). Don't pretend for a minute to be a gunsmith. I've been to Bushmaster, SIG, Beretta, Ruger, Remington, etc. armorer's courses. As a former IPSC shooter, I learned 1911's out of necessity. Back in the day, there was no such thing as a factory gun with the right features. Colt was it, and most were very unreliable out of the box. Sorry Colt fans, that's the truth. I worked at a gun shop part-time that sold a lot of Colts. Colt rep came in one day with free hats, key chains, etc. I pounded him with legitimate questions. He left hastily, nearly in tears. Manager got pissed at me.