PDA

View Full Version : A little help on picking a rifle please

trojanman
09-18-09, 17:05
Daniel defense has the right deal right now and I'm ready to buy so DD it is. What I cant decide is if the ddm4 at seven pounds is worth the extra money over the XV at six pounds. Weight is important to me but. All I plan to mount is a light and maybe a grip(not really sold on them). I do want a light I can engage with my thumb. I dont know extra weight extra money that coud be used for optics. What do you think?

Iraqgunz
09-18-09, 17:14
Why is the weight important? I would buy the DD M4 which will give you more for the buck and the ability to mount a light and grip w/o having to dick around. I have one and it is light-even my wife thinks so. Add a Surefire X200 or X300 and you are set.

Daniel defense has the right deal right now and I'm ready to buy so DD it is. What I cant decide is if the ddm4 at seven pounds is worth the extra money over the XV at six pounds. Weight is important to me but. All I plan to mount is a light and maybe a grip(not really sold on them). I do want a light I can engage with my thumb. I dont know extra weight extra money that coud be used for optics. What do you think?

trojanman
09-18-09, 17:21
A pound just sounds like alot, at work some of our m4s have the KAC fore end and they seem front heavt as hell to me not sure how much the weigh though. Weight is important because I am going to carry it alot, when I carry one of the KAC I feel it after a while as compared to a standard m4(wimp)

nutnless220
09-18-09, 17:49
Why is the weight important? I would buy the DD M4 which will give you more for the buck and the ability to mount a light and grip w/o having to dick around. I have one and it is light-even my wife thinks so. Add a Surefire X200 or X300 and you are set.

Listen to Gunz....

The DDM4 is the bang for the buck
Mount the x300 @ the 12 oclock and call it a day.
Or add anything you might need later as your needs change.

Buy once, cry once.

Iraqgunz
09-18-09, 18:02
My wife is no gun person. I purchased mine when I was in Iraq. I asked her what it felt like and she said, "wow, it is really light". When I got home and manhandled it I was surprised as well. It is not frint heavy and I would probably carry it (if it was a daily thing) before my Noveske, PD15 or my SBR (which is heavy because of the PEQ-2, PVS-14 and suppressor.

A pound just sounds like alot, at work some of our m4s have the KAC fore end and they seem front heavt as hell to me not sure how much the weigh though. Weight is important because I am going to carry it alot, when I carry one of the KAC I feel it after a while as compared to a standard m4(wimp)

trojanman
09-18-09, 18:12
Thanks sounds good.

DragonDoc
09-21-09, 23:29
My wife is no gun person. I purchased mine when I was in Iraq. I asked her what it felt like and she said, "wow, it is really light". When I got home and manhandled it I was surprised as well. It is not frint heavy and I would probably carry it (if it was a daily thing) before my Noveske, PD15 or my SBR (which is heavy because of the PEQ-2, PVS-14 and suppressor.

How did you get ahold of a PEQ-2?

Failure2Stop
09-22-09, 08:00
Weight can be good and bad.
Just because the number indicates a total weight it does not differentiate between balanced weight or unbalanced weight, and it does not work out to just try to throw a bunch of weight toward the muzzle in an effirt to keep the front end stable or toward the rear to keep the gun swinging quickly.

It takes balance- which is one of the reasons behind the desire to get ahold of every stock ever made (besides blind flocksmanship). I will gladly eat a pound or two of rifle weight to achieve proper balance.

The advantages of a free floating rail system extend beyond precision improvement and light mounting.

ETA- When it comes to carrying the piece over long distances by foot, a sling can help a lot more than shaving a pound of weight.

vel525
09-22-09, 09:42
I'm a newb to rifles, so what it's worth. I was in the same boat. I got it narrowed down to DD (after a lot of hours of research) and then got it down to DDM4 and DDm4 v2 (for me I wanted the rail). After talking to a lot of people I decided on the DDM4 (for many of the reasons already listed).

Just trying to get a hold of Grant to put in the order. :D

JSGlock34
09-22-09, 18:15
Just a note - Daniel Defense is running a promotion right now where if you buy one of their rifles they give you a $250 gift card for DD accessories. As the M4 and M4 2.0 models come fairly loaded (with rail and foregrip), you might want to consider buying the XV and using the gift card to purchase an Omega Rail. This could get you where you want to go for a few dollars less. I think the deal on the DD rifle right now is excellent.

trojanman
09-22-09, 19:33
I went with the DDm4. Found a deal new from dealer for 1265.00.

nutnless220
09-22-09, 22:19
Trojanman, Share the love....

Care to tell us the dealer, that's a fantastic price !

trojanman
09-23-09, 18:42
Gunbrocker bro, several at that price. If you dont see one I get this guys number for you.

uwe1
09-23-09, 19:46
Listen to Iraqgunz, the DDM4 is great bang for the buck. The weight is definitely well balanced and the gun is extremely easy to handle.

Dunderway
09-23-09, 19:59
Just a note - Daniel Defense is running a promotion right now where if you buy one of their rifles they give you a $250 gift card for DD accessories. As the M4 and M4 2.0 models come fairly loaded (with rail and foregrip), you might want to consider buying the XV and using the gift card to purchase an Omega Rail. This could get you where you want to go for a few dollars less. I think the deal on the DD rifle right now is excellent.

That would be a very good deal to pick up an XV and then basically get an Omega for free.