PDA

View Full Version : Reflex vs Non-Reflex Suppressor

LBG375
09-18-09, 21:00
I'm trying to decide on a suppressor for my personal AR. I want to know the differences between reflex and non-reflex suppressors. I have used both types at work (on different systems though). I understand the basics, one extends behind the muzzle, and one doesn't. What's the difference in performance? Is one more quiet or accurate than the other? What are the designed applications for each? I've seen certain types being issued with different weapon systems, and have drawn conclusions based on this, but I would like to see if there is any concrete info on the subject.

erik_
09-19-09, 10:13
AAC had a video on their blog stating that the SPR/M4 and M4-2000 are identical forward of the muzzle. The difference is that the SPR/M4 is a reflex mount with added expansion area in the back.

Performance of a reflex will be better than a standard mount. After all, anytime you add expansion area, you lower decibel output. The AAC SPR/M4 is quieter than the M4-2000 by a noticeable amount as is the SureFire FA556AR over the FA556-212.

If you have the extra space behind your muzzle for a reflex, go with a reflex. If you're running an SBR with the muzzle at the end of the rail, you're limited to a forward mount. At that point I would consider getting a longer barrel since a reflex can lower decibel output by a good 3~6 dB on average. In the world of decibels, that's noticeable.

Check out this video when you have some time: http://vimeo.com/4204331

LBG375
09-19-09, 16:30
It makes sense to me that the reflex is quieter as I've seen them mounted on SPRs, MK13s, and MK11s. Is there any other differences besides noise reduction, ie less recoil, less carbon sent into the action, accuracy, durability etc?

erik_
09-19-09, 20:33
In my limited experience with both Surefire and AAC cans, reflex cans are quieter but seem the same as forward-mount cans in terms of accuracy, recoil, and gas blowback. Reflex cans are typically a few ounces heavier, too, since they're longer and use longer mounts. There are trade-offs with each type.

Durability varies between all brands and depends on the ammo you're using, rate of fire, heat cycles, amount of rounds through the can, how the planets are aligned, if you got enough sleep the night before, if you can rub your belly and pat your head, your political views, whether or not you have a beard, and your favorite color. Seriously, durability depends on so many factors that it's near impossible to answer. Most modern cans from the top makers will outlast your barrel many times over.

Just make sure you screw the can on TIGHT and absolutely avoid running .22 LR ammo through it. Both of these tips will help keep from blowing a round out the side and blowing all your hard-earned cash and NFA paperwork headaches.

Get a good can, take care of it, and be smart with it. It could last your lifetime. ;)

KevinB
09-21-09, 14:28
The added expansion of the reflex suppressor will decrease the amount of increased bolt carrier velocity you will get from adding a can.

Reflex cans can add additional matting sufaces to make less POI shift when removed or added.