PDA

View Full Version : TROY Flip ups.... a question

Jon G23
02-14-07, 17:47
I want to have Troy Flip up front and rear sights on my new upper and I have a quick question about them. I assumed they are very high quality and tough sights that can be used for every-day shooting, not just as emergency back-ups. Is that correct?

I read on another forum, that most all BUIS are only made tough enough for temporary use if your optics go down at the worst moment.

I'm both an iron sight and optics type guy and really liked the idea of using the Troys for some time till I decide which optics to go with.

Are these sights made for all-the-time use or are that not that heavy duty??

Thanks for any thoughts!

Razorhunter
02-14-07, 18:03
I do not yet own the Troy BUIS system, but I will soon place my order for both the front and rear, as I've read nothing but good about them.
You can look at the way they are built, and see the quality.

The Troy's command well over $200, for good reason...

LOKNLOD
02-14-07, 18:13
I had them on my old carbine for a while until I got my Aimpoint. No probs...I don't see any reason they are more fragile in the "up" than "down" position, although they might be more prone to snagging. That they are "only tough enough for temporary use" is somewhat silly, I think. They stay on your rifle all the time, what's "short term" about them? Some types might be rudimentary or less "precise" but I'd wager they're a lot more durable than the EO or Aimpoint you're supporting with them.

But let's be realistic. For some people, they'd last forever. For others, they'd get torn up. Do you intend on doing anything with them that would cause them to fail?

TWR
02-14-07, 19:12
I use the rear sight, never seen the front one but can't imagine it'd be any different. I think they're as tuff as they can be made.

kel3at
02-14-07, 19:58
I bought a troy rear buis from grtactical a month ago. It is built very tough. I would say it could hold up to as much, if not more abuse, than many fixed sights.

MASP7
02-14-07, 20:34
I have Troy's for a reason- they're the best available, and as tough as any folding sights made.

Having said that, if I wanted to have always-up irons, I think I'd have the factory FSB and a Larue rear. I believe that combo has a edge in durability over any folding sight.

Dave L.
02-14-07, 21:03
Are troy flip-ups spring loaded?

MASP7
02-14-07, 21:09
No.
They have a spring detent that keeps them in the down position, and they lock when they're flipped up.

Dave L.
02-15-07, 00:10
No.
They have a spring detente that keeps them in the down position, and they lock when they're flipped up.

So they are on locked in the down position at all?

Dragon 2 Zero
02-15-07, 00:47
Raining Brass - The Troy's are locked when they are in the UP position & they have a detent that keeps them in the DOWN position. To flip them up, you do just that - flip them up with your thumb - or whatever. The detent is easy to overcome with a simple flip.

Jon G23 - Just get them - you won't regret it. They work great, as you've mentioned.

SinnFéinM1911
02-15-07, 07:58
I worked for Troy sinece opening until about a year ago, so my opinion may be a bit bias.

Steve Troy cares alot about his product and what he sells. His sights are the best on the market. He likes to "overbuilt and ruggedize" the items he sells.

They are very solid, strong and while working we just could not keep them in stock. Let me know if you have any questions on them !

Steve
02-15-07, 08:44
Steve's sights are good to go 100%

i have beat mine to death on several guns.

and they still taking it

Brett i talked with you a few times there steve built me up a sweet patrol gun

after i broke a tester sopmod stock in indy on an M1A that jeff hadd brought to class

SinnFéinM1911
02-15-07, 09:39
Sure do remember that !!

Hows things ?

We need to lay some influence down on Steve to make a Elevation rear sight !!

Steve
02-15-07, 13:22
I Second that..

that was fun, the look on Jeffs face when i finished the drill with an suppresed sopmod pistol.................:D

SinnFéinM1911
02-16-07, 08:16
I think they are working on some tritium ones soon ! I have not heard from them in a bit so not sure where they stand.