PDA

View Full Version : Man sues holster makers after shooting himself at courthouse (Uncle Mikes)

TMMT
09-19-09, 21:20
Man sues holster makers after shooting himself at courthouse

CHICAGO (STNG) - A man filed a lawsuit against a handgun holster company Wednesday, claiming a defective holster caused him to shoot himself at the Markham Courthouse in 2007.

John Bruno, a Lockport resident, was at the courthouse, 16501 S. Kedzie Pkwy., on Sept. 21, 2007 when he intended to re-holster his weapon, according to a suit filed in Cook County Circuit Court.

As he attempted to put the gun back into the holster, the weapon unexpectedly discharged, the suit said.

Bruno is suing Bushnell Outdoor Products, Michael’s of Oregon, Co., Uncle Mike’s and Kale Uniforms, Inc.—the companies that manufacture and sell the Kydex Belt Holster for Glock Model handguns—claiming the product was defective and caused him to shoot himself.

The suit claims the holster’s retention strap moved out of position when a weapon is being re-holstered, which causes the gun to discharge and, in Bruno’s case, caused him “severe” and “permanent” injuries.

It was unclear why Bruno had a weapon at the courthouse, and his lawyer could not immediately be reached for comment Wednesday evening.

http://www.wbbm780.com/Man-sues-holster-makers-after-shooting-himself-at-/5239054

Palmguy
09-19-09, 21:25
Sounds like his fault to me, given the information provided.

Ridge_Runner_5
09-19-09, 21:28
Impossible, there are no guns in Chicago

joffe
09-20-09, 00:08
Filing this in the 'burnt by hot coffee at miccy d's' department.

I bet he wins, anyway.:rolleyes:

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 00:40
Retention strap sounds like he was a security guard or something. I don't doubt he could get some kind of handgun dispensation from some corrupt Pol downstate.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 00:40
It was a poor design that allowed a 3/4 inch wide curved plastic strap to enter the trigger guard during holstering, not a good time for anything to enter the trigger guard.

ryr8828
09-20-09, 05:57
Retention strap sounds like he was a security guard or something. I don't doubt he could get some kind of handgun dispensation from some corrupt Pol downstate.

I don't understand unless this was tongue in cheek.

Cold Zero
09-20-09, 07:00
Severe injury, sounds like he failed to keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction at all times.

perna
09-20-09, 08:12
Finger on the trigger while putting it in the holster=chance to get paid and covering up being a moron.

Alpha Sierra
09-20-09, 09:21
It was a poor design that allowed a 3/4 inch wide curved plastic strap to enter the trigger guard during holstering, not a good time for anything to enter the trigger guard.

Holster have had thumbreaks for well over a half century. That this moron did not pay attention when reholstering is not the holster maker's fault.

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 10:17

I don't understand unless this was tongue in cheek.

I wasn't disparaging security guards. I figured if he was a cop it would have stated it. Most concealed carry holsters wouldn't have a retention strap, so who is the only person I could think that would have a gun in a court house with a retention strap, and that would be a contract security person. I guess it could be a lawyer that is authorized to carry, maybe even a former cop who is just used to a retention strap holster and has the ability to carry due to a former LEO connection.

Anyway you slice it, it is odd that they don't mention why he had the gun there, or even why he was there, or had the gun out to start with. You'd think if it were illegal, he would have been charged with something.

The Downstate Pol comment just meant someone at the state level, versus could he get some kind of handgun dispensation from the Cook County Sheriff?

Used to live a mile away from there, used to. Convienent place for a justice center, putting it close to the crime part.

ra2bach
09-20-09, 10:26
from a random reply to a post somewhere discussing the cop who shot himself while "adjusting" his piece while spectating a basketball game - "you'd have to be a dipshit to cap yourself in the ass"...

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 13:29
Alpha, I am well aware of the fact that holsters have had retention straps, and yes, they have had them for much more than 50 years, that does not abrogate the fact that the UM Kydex holster design was poorly thought out. When holster one handed with the trigger finger properly along the slide, the strap could enter the trigger guard. With a striker fired fired pistol one would have no indication of the snag that putting the holster hand thumb on the hammer would provide (so that you could feel the hammer moving back in the event of a trigger snag). It was a piss poor design. It is crap like this on the market that force departments to have approved holster lists; every rule has someones name attached to it.

K.L. Davis
09-20-09, 14:05
When the Glock first came out, there was a noticeable increase in people shooting through the bottom of their holster... some say that a strap or something got snagged in the trigger guard; truth is, most where fingering the trigger while holstering.

In any case, it is 100% the fault of the owner... a pistol being holstered is still in hand, too many people have a feeling of ease because they are holstering, they think that somehow the pistol is like a player leaving the field, and is no longer in play -- to try to blame the gun/holster maker simply is shoveling responsibility from the gun owner and accepting an excuse for an answer.

subzero
09-20-09, 16:25
If I'm not mistaken, Uncle Mike's issued a recall, or at least a warning, on their thumb break holsters holsters for the Glock back in like 2006 or so. For this very issue.

IIRC, the packaging now has a specific warning on it to be careful of the dangly strap during reholstering.

Plenty of hits on Google. First hit: http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/holster_recalls.html

TMMT
09-20-09, 16:51
When holster one handed with the trigger finger properly along the slide, the strap could enter the trigger guard.

This happened several years ago with two deputies, one in Georgia another in Kentucky. Both were using Safariland 070's and carrying Glock's.

They sued Glock and not the holster manufacture.

Glock settled.

It was shortly after this the Safariland 295 became popular because it has no strap to accidentally enter the trigger guard upon reholstering.

M4arc
09-20-09, 20:37
Why did he have his handgun out of the holster in the first place?

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 20:40
Many courthouses require that guns be placed in gunlockers if you are going to be inside a courtroom or judges' chambers.

Iraqgunz
09-20-09, 20:49
So this guy purchases as holster, has an accidental discharge and then blames the holster manufacturer? Sorry, I don't buy it. I am almost willing to bet that he purchased it and used it very little if at all prior to carrying.

Issues with holsters, weapons and gear tend to manifest themselves rather quickly when they are actually being used. No piece of gear is 100% and you still have to take care.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 20:58
Iraqgunz, I think you are 100% on the money.

Mac5.56
09-21-09, 01:47
The title of this thread should be: Dumb ass shoots himself, judges laugh, dismiss lawsuit, and request that congress begin forging legislation to prohibit frivolous lawsuits. Law is titled: Darwin's Law.

Safetyhit
09-21-09, 10:52
... a pistol being holstered is still in hand, too many people have a feeling of ease because they are holstering, they think that somehow the pistol is like a player leaving the field, and is no longer in play.

Sums it up very well.

Although there will be some that, lets say, need a worry free holster for re-holstering quickly while distracted as they prepare to handcuff a struggling suspect. Or something of the sort.

Hunter Rose
09-23-09, 17:11
Stories like these are why I still prefer pistols with manual safeties, just one more way to break the accident chain before something bad occurs.

ST911
09-23-09, 21:46
Stories like these are why I still prefer pistols with manual safeties, just one more way to break the accident chain before something bad occurs.

The same could be said for having holsters without thumb breaks. ;)