PDA

View Full Version : Murderer Escapes from County Fair "Field Trip"

9Y10C
09-20-09, 14:02
"A killer escaping a field trip to the Spokane, WA County Fair has become a wakeup call for fair officials."
TIMELINE:
April 1987: The gasoline-soaked body of Ruth Motley, 78, is found in a shallow grave, her throat slit and neck broken. Phillip Arnold Paul, who lived nearby, told deputies "voices" in his head instructed him to "kill the witch on Emerald Road."

July 1987: Paul is found not guilty by reason of insanity in Mottley's murder and ordered held indefinitely at a "state mental institution for the criminally insane."

August 1990: Paul refuses his medication and later escapes from Eastern State Hospital. He's arrested near Fishtrap, WA and while being booked into the Spokane County Jail, overpowers a deputy, shattering the law enforcement officer's shoulder. A jury later orders the state to pay the deputy more than $100,000.

Early 1992: Paul enrolls at Spokane Falls Community College and is allowed to leave Eastern State Hospital to attend classes. During the next two years he also works part time at the Spokane Goodwill store and at an antique furniture shop downtown, sometimes for 30 hours a week.

October 1994: Paul seeks release from his court-ordered commitment at Eastern State Hospital. A Yakima judge refuses.

1998: Paul seeks approval to return home to live with his parents in the Yakima Valley and is allowed to spend two weeks at a time at the family home, then return to the Eastern State Hospital to receive his medications before doing another two-week transition.

June 2000: Paul is approved for a full-time return to his family home in Yakima Valley, but within a few months his counselors begin expressing concerns over his progress.

October 2000: Paul is ordered back to Eastern State Hospital after treatment providers notice threatening and delusional behavior. Among other things, Paul tells counselors of someone he thinks is a "witch."

October 2005: After five years back at Eastern State Hospital, Paul is approved for a conditional release to The Carlyle, an assisted living facility in downtown Spokane. He begins dating a woman who becomes pregnant and has a baby boy in 2006.

February 2006: Paul is ordered back to Eastern State Hospital after refusing to take his medications.

October 2007: Paul is approved again for release to the Carlyle, but counselors report he begins exhibiting increasingly defiant behavior.

January 2009: Paul is ordered back to Eastern State Hospital after refusing to take his medication and being spotted in a pawnshop that sells firearms and other weapons, which is prohibited under terms of his release.

September 17, 2009: During a field trip to the Spokane County Interstate Fair with other "criminally insane" patients, Paul escapes. A manhunt remains under way. (as of 09/20/09)

other excerpts from the article:
"Paul, who was 25 at the time, attacked Ruth Mottley, snapping her neck and slashing her throat twice. He then doused her body with gasoline and buried her in her own flower garden. Paul told authorities that the voices in his head told him Mottley was a witch who was casting spells on him."

"He was not the only murderer on the outing to the fair yesterday..."

"A judge ruled earlier this month that a paraniod schizophrenic killer who remained at large Friday after walking away from a supervised outing was a threat to public safety because he had become more aggressive and less aware of his psychosis."

"Eastern State Hospital officials waited more than two hours before reporting Paul's escape to police."

"Field trips to such public events as fairs, baseball games, circuses and the Ice Capades routinely include murderers, rapists and pedophiles committed to the hospital as criminally insane."

"We don't consider him extremely dangerous."

"All we know is that he is on foot with $50 in his pocket, headed somewhere."

"Court documents show that the child from 2006 now is in state custody."

9Y10C comment-- and we taxpayers actually pay these people to make such decisions???

Titleist
09-20-09, 14:20
Wait isn't this the plot of John Carpenter's Halloween?

bkb0000
09-20-09, 14:30
well we cant very well have witches casting spells all over the place. what do you want from the guy?

Romeo Foxtrot
09-20-09, 14:41
wtf was he doing on a field trip?

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 16:27
The hospital had a "Bring your crazy homicidal killer for half off" coupon.

Bet the people at the fair were happy to hear he was there.

I hear we don't have enough money for prisons, and they are taking them on field trips to the county fair? These killers get taken more places than I did as a kid.

I guess the one good thing is that while he is out, someone might finish the job. Everyone in WA state has a "Crazy Killer" hunting tag, bag limit one.

John_Wayne777
09-20-09, 17:53
Field trips for the criminally insane. Seems to me that might be a campaign issue for somebody.

"Field trips to such public events as fairs, baseball games, circuses and the Ice Capades routinely include murderers, rapists and pedophiles committed to the hospital as criminally insane.

I certainly see no reason why any of us should be worried about government healthcare when one can so easily find examples of quality decision making by government agencies such as this.

I mean, who can object to the logic of taking a bunch of pedophiles to the circus or Disney on Ice? How about a Wiggles concert?

Erik 1
09-20-09, 18:53
I like to take them to midget wrestling. Drives them nuts. So close, but no cigar.

ThirdWatcher
09-20-09, 19:41
Field trips for the criminally insane. Seems to me that might be a campaign issue for somebody.

You'd think so, but not in Washington State. The voters in King County (Seattle area) carry every election and since this all occurred in Eastern Washington, it's really not relevant.

tb417
09-20-09, 19:47
Come hang out with us in Spokane, we also let the Geiger Correctional inmates go to the county fair, in orange jumpsuits for your safety of course.

RudyN
09-20-09, 20:11
He was caught. By the same deputy that arrested him in 1991.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090919/US.Mental.Institution.Escape/

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-20-09, 20:11
Freerange sociopaths, great.

ThirdWatcher
09-20-09, 22:24
Thanks for the update, Rudy. :)

Spiffums
09-21-09, 08:20
The hospital had a "Bring your crazy homicidal killer for half off" coupon.

Bet the people at the fair were happy to hear he was there.

I hear we don't have enough money for prisons, and they are taking them on field trips to the county fair? These killers get taken more places than I did as a kid.

I guess the one good thing is that while he is out, someone might finish the job. Everyone in WA state has a "Crazy Killer" hunting tag, bag limit one.

Makes you want to kill don't it :p

9Y10C
09-21-09, 12:24
He was caught. By the same deputy that arrested him in 1991.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-general/20090919/US.Mental.Institution.Escape/

Yes he was. On Sunday evening while emerging from the woods where he was hiding. Oh, and with a scythe is his backpack. As the hospital officials had previously said, "he's not dangerous." Just planning a little Freddie Kruger gardening, eh? And they wonder why we conservative radicals carry guns???

colt191145lover
09-25-09, 11:13
There is a reason us North Idaho boys (and girls) dont like to go to Spokane very often. The worst part is he probobly blends in with half the population there :rolleyes:

9Y10C
09-25-09, 13:04
There is a reason us North Idaho boys (and girls) dont like to go to Spokane very often. The worst part is he probobly blends in with half the population there :rolleyes:

Yeah, unless you like hunting.:D:D

And DSHS has announced they are not going to prosecute him for escape. I think they could prove he knew right from wrong regarding that charge. So he would probably be convicted and then they would have to lock him up? After being placed under "strict supervisory constraints" when back in the hospital, he conducted two interviews with the media. But hospital officials don't know how that possibly could have happened? :confused:

colt191145lover
09-26-09, 16:08
They also dressed him in street clothes and gave him $50 to spend ...sounds like a "get out of jail for free " card to me. Good old tax payer dollers at work