PDA

View Full Version : Federal Assault Weapons Ban Legislation Introduced: Please Read!!!

jswanson
02-15-07, 05:48
Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy of NY is introducing a bill to ban assault weapons... Her website link and more info is listed below.

Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy of NY is exploiting the deaths of innocent people in recent shootings in PA and UT. She claims on her website that 10 people were killed in the UT shooting. 5 people were killed in this tragedy. I think I speak for the gun owners of America when I say that congresswoman McCarthy's exploitation and outright lying about recent tragedies to promote an assault weapons ban will not be tolerated! The congresswoman is using the deaths of these citizens of Utah to further her own political gains, and may actually be disappointed that more people were not killed.

Please spread the word about what this woman is trying to do. Also, be sure and go to her website so you can read "in her own words" of what she plans to do.

Source: carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=686&ParentID=0&SectionID=32&SectionTree=32&lnk=b&ItemID=675 (http://carolynmccarthy.house.gov/index.cfm?ContentID=686&ParentID=0&SectionID=32&SectionTree=32&lnk=b&ItemID=675)

Here is some of her contact info, I'll keep looking for an e-mail address for her. I suggest everyone get in touch with their state representatives and head this woman off at the pass...

Washington Office:

106 Cannon House Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20515
Phone: 202-225-5516

Nassau Office:

200 Garden City Plaza
Suite 320
Garden City, N.Y. 11530
Phone: 516-739-3008

combatvet
02-15-07, 08:39
OMFG, doesn't she know that when she's dead no one will remember her tired ass. This is just another "hey look at me, I care" smokescreen. I can't stand people that try to "immortalize" themselves.

Nathan_Bell
02-15-07, 09:21
The people who pull these types of stunts bring to mind for me the worst type of ambulance chasing lawyers.

"Have you been injured due to the negligence of others? Are you not getting the money you need out of the insurance company? Call us; Dewey, Screwem, and Howe for a free consultation"

ETA: This was done with a pump shotgun and a he had a 38 revolver on him

Cyclic240B
02-15-07, 15:38
ETA: This was done with a pump shotgun and a he had a 38 revolver on him

Yep. That fat **** mayor of Seattle did the same shit out here after the "Seattle Massacre" last year. The perp' who did it used a shotgun, yet super mayor immediately went on a media blitz calling for assault weapons to be banned. What was really good is the bad guy did have an AR-15, but it was not on his person during the act, yet he had his police lackeys display it along with the shotgun he did use, in a "the tools he used" ruse for the cameras. :mad:

rubberneck
02-15-07, 19:00
OMFG, doesn't she know that when she's dead no one will remember her tired ass. This is just another "hey look at me, I care" smokescreen. I can't stand people that try to "immortalize" themselves.

I despise her stance on guns as much as the next red blooded Amreican but the notion that her crusade against guns is nothing but an attempt to seek attention is wrong. Her husband was murdered and her son was left with brain damage by that nut job Colin Furgeson on the LIRR back in the mid 90's. So in her mind she does have a dog in this hunt.

I dismiss her position on guns as being totally misguided and ineffective but she isn't in this for attention.

Dozer
02-15-07, 19:13
We should ban all knives because of the amount of people that get stabbed every year. Clearly these sharp tools of death were designed to kill. Give me a break, just because one asshat went crazy doesn't mean that all law abiding citizens should give up their right to own such firearms. By her reasoning we should ban anything that causes death. I had an aunt and a cousing that were murdered by her abusive husband with a claw hammer so we should get rid of those too. Give me a break.

S/F
Libardo

Business_Casual
02-15-07, 19:59
Rubberneck, no offense, but a similar argument could be made about Mohammed Atta.

In any case, it will be interesting to see how the "conservative" and "moderate, free-thinking" Democratic freshmen congressmen vote on this. We all know how they are veterans and mavericks, right? The media told us that over and over. They don't support gun control, right? Well, let's just see.

Same goes for you brilliant Jim Webb voters.

M_P

rubberneck
02-15-07, 20:30
Rubberneck, no offense, but a similar argument could be made about Mohammed Atta.

I suppose that is true in as much as he was in the business of murdering people not for attention but to advance an agenda he believed in. Using that line of logic we could apply that to anyone who feels strongly about something and is willing to do something about it, including fellow gun owners. I don't know any serious minded person that would draw a moral equivalency between Mohammed Atta and Congresswoman Maloney, not matter how stupid her pet issue is.

TUNNEL RAT 33
02-15-07, 20:45
I remember the horrible incident that occurred on that Long Island Rail Road train all those years ago . where that savage was allowed to shoot all those people . what she needs to understand is that her husband may still be alive today if somebody was armed on that train besides that nutbag . only lawabiding people obey gun laws - perps do not ! no where in the constitution does it limit the type of arms i am allowed to bear . she needs to worry about other things , but you know that this is only the beginning , start stocking up cause its coming

Business_Casual
02-15-07, 21:26
Rubberneck,

"I don't know any serious minded person"

Interesting.

However, you've missed my point. The Constitution makes it perfectly legal and a protected right to have any belief. That could take many forms: abstract hatred for non-Muslims, a belief that Jews and Christians should die if they don't convert, a belief that killing oneself in an act of martyrdom will gain one 72 virgins in an afterlife paradise.

Or it could take the form that no one should have firearms, no one should ever own a firearm, or leave their home with it, etc.

What it does not mean is that one can act on those beliefs in a manner that encroaches on the rest of our rights and freedom. It does not mean one can fly an airliner into the World Trade Center. It does not mean that a congresswoman can re-write the Second Amendment to read "the Right to keep and bear arms as long as Carolyn McCarthy thinks they aren't scary or remind of her of her loss."

As much as I agree with you that she is trying to do good, she's merely that: a do gooder. There's nothing wrong with that, but that isn't a right and it is no way to govern a country.

M_P

Linea_de_Fuego
02-15-07, 22:18
what she needs to understand is that her husband may still be alive today if somebody was armed on that train besides that nutbag .

This is so true. If only the UT situation was a CCW civilian rather than an off duty LEO, but then those most willing to put themselves in harms way to be the hero are often LEOS. The officer was not looking to be a hero but was willing and humble at the same time.

Dave L.
02-16-07, 00:30
So a guy with an AK-47 only killed 5 people?

Anyone with some reasonable training could have killed a shit load more than that.

My point is if you ban assault weapons, who will turn them in? Personally they can kiss my ass. Realistically, gun violence will happen no doubt about it, but like was stated above the 2nd amendment has no limits and I should be able to own as many full-auto's as I want. So stop blaming gun violence on the gun you ornery ol' bitch.

Striker5
02-16-07, 06:06
I recall reading a report a few years back that broke down the numbers of people shot in these massacres, who got shot with what and who died. The point was to show that shotguns were much more lethal than assault weapons but were never targeted to the extent assault rifles were.
No surprise to gun people but to Lefties and I'm afraid the general public reality is movies and TV, every gang shooting is a multiple full-auto AK-47 driveby, bad guys drop with one well placed shot from the good guys, automatic weapons can be purchased by multiple felons as long as it's at a gun show and so on.

North Hollywood is another good example. While they royally screwed some people up, the bank robbers unloaded a lot of ammo and didn't hit much and the people they did hit survived.

rhino
02-16-07, 21:20
It would be tragically ironic if this bill or something like it passes both houses, then the president signs it into law just as he promised he would back in 2000.

Even if this bill does not succeed, these people are going to keep trying until they get it done. They have absolutely nothing lose in their minds, although their success would ultimately be a colossal loss for all of us.

Mark LaRue
02-17-07, 10:40
We should ban all knives because of the amount of people that get stabbed every year. Clearly these sharp tools of death were designed to kill. Give me a break, just because one asshat went crazy doesn't mean that all law abiding citizens should give up their right to own such firearms. By her reasoning we should ban anything that causes death. I had an aunt and a cousing that were murdered by her abusive husband with a claw hammer so we should get rid of those too. Give me a break.

S/F
Libardo

My big beef has always been the cars used to commit their crimes with.

I'm guessing that autos are used in 99% of all crimes. Can't do a drive-by without one, can't maliciously run into a crowd without one, can't scope out would-be victims' homes without one, can't get to the gun store to buy a guy without one.

And them two Muslim's doing the DC sniper shootings had modified a car into a mobile murder platform...yet no one took Detroit to task for it.:mad:

My $.02 worth.

ML

El Cid
02-17-07, 13:35
My big beef has always been the cars used to commit their crimes with.

I'm guessing that autos are used in 99% of all crimes. Can't do a drive-by without one, can't maliciously run into a crowd without one, can't scope out would-be victims' homes without one, can't get to the gun store to buy a guy without one.

And them two Muslim's doing the DC sniper shootings had modified a car into a mobile murder platform...yet no one took Detroit to task for it.:mad:

My $.02 worth.

ML
Amen! And how come Congress doesn't care that we lose 58,000 people on our roadways annually? We lost that many people in the entire Vietnam war! Seems to me cars and trucks are much more dangerous than any firearm invented.

Nathan_Bell
02-17-07, 16:12
Amen! And how come Congress doesn't care that we lose 58,000 people on our roadways annually? We lost that many people in the entire Vietnam war! Seems to me cars and trucks are much more dangerous than any firearm invented.

Using the antigun VPC's numbers of 89 gun deaths per day that gives us 32,485 or so deaths. FBI estimated that 66% of the 15,517 murders that year were committed with firearms. I think that I will trust the FBI on this one. So we get 15.517*.666=10334 firearms murders per year. This is out of over 200 Million privately owned firearms (numbers from BBC's site) So we have
.052 deaths per thousand guns.

Now lets look at cars. "There are 107 million US households, each with an average of 1.9 cars" states Reuters. 107*1.9=203.3 Million cars in the US. Damned close to how many guns are in the US. According to the NTSB in 2003 there were 42,643 auto deaths. .21 deaths per one thousand cars.

Medical News today states that 195,000 people die per year due to errors in hospitals. This was from a study of 37 Million patient's records. For a fatality rate of 5.2 out of 1000.

Harvard Public health states that 7 out of 1000 infants are dying in their first year. Hmm looks like playing with guns is about 4 times safer than driving, 100 times safer than the hospital, and about 135 times safer than being an infant.

Heavy Metal
02-17-07, 21:30
Using the antigun VPC's numbers of 89 gun deaths per day that gives us 32,485 or so deaths. FBI estimated that 66% of the 15,517 murders that year were committed with firearms. I think that I will trust the FBI on this one. So we get 15.517*.666=10334 firearms murders per year. This is out of over 200 Million privately owned firearms (numbers from BBC's site) So we have

Now lets look at cars. "There are 107 million US households, each with an average of 1.9 cars" states Reuters. 107*1.9=203.3 Million cars in the US. Damned close to how many guns are in the US. According to the NTSB in 2003 there were 42,643 auto deaths. .21 deaths per one thousand cars.

Medical News today states that 195,000 people die per year due to errors in hospitals. This was from a study of 37 Million patient's records. For a fatality rate of 5.2 out of 1000.

Harvard Public health states that 7 out of 1000 infants are dying in their first year. Hmm looks like playing with guns is about 4 times safer than driving, 100 times safer than the hospital, and about 135 times safer than being an infant.

The VPC uses suicides to cook that number. Roughly half those deaths are suicides.

Nathan_Bell
02-17-07, 21:49
The VPC uses suicides to cook that number. Roughly half those deaths are suicides.

Aye, they cook the numbers hard, which is why I used the Free Beer Inside folks numbers.

jswanson
02-18-07, 19:19
The full text is now available for the introduced bill...

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/billtext.xpd?&bill=h110-1022

this is bad people, really really bad. Do everything in your power to spread the word...

rayray
02-22-07, 18:57
More Political BS. More people are murdered by blunt force trauma. Lets go after and ban Baseball Bats, Pipes Rocks, etc. They always go after us Gun owners. Most of My weapons are assault rifles, pisses Me off.:mad:

RyanS
02-22-07, 19:34

Nathan, what year were the FBI numbers from?

paradoc
02-23-07, 23:56
Gentlemen,

Our mission is clear, we must use the momentum stirred by Jim Zumbo and Dave Petzal to clearly express no quarter will be given for those that support such legislation. The only way this can be accomplished is through an organized grass roots effort to reach our elected officials and urge them to not support this measure.

For now we must use the internet, email systems, and the ballot box as our weapons. We did not have the internet to use back in 94 but now we have proven that it is an effective sword when weilded together.