PDA

View Full Version : Crye Precision CAGE Chassis Performance

Leatherneck556
09-20-09, 14:52
I noticed that Crye is now selling their CAGE Battle Chassis and and the belt that goes with it. What sort of ballistic protection is provided by the included soft armor in these items? I know that it says it exceeds the IBA and USASOC requirements, but what does that mean exactly? And how does it hold up to contact shots?

Iraq Ninja
09-20-09, 15:13
I use the chassis, but all I can add is that the soft armor is really a semi rigid sandwich of what appears to be kevlar and a plastic, possibly HDPE.

It seems to be the same materials used in the NAPE neck protector Crye made for a Military contract.

I have never seen any testing data, nor heard any complaints. No idea about contact shots either.

It is probably the best all around High Risk setup you can wear.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 15:17
There's a fairly informative write-up over at MilitaryMorons.

militarymoron
09-20-09, 16:41
here's the link to the writeup - the CAGE has the same protection as the Gen I chassis, which is level IIIA +frag:
http://militarymorons.com/gear/crye3.html#cage

as iraq ninja said, the panels are semi-rigid, and are not flat panels but molded to conform to the body.

as far as contact shots, i called caleb crye just now (he was at work in a sunday!) and asked him about that. crye doesn't test for contact shots, but some of their customers have, and reported very good results/success with their testing. he's going to see whether he can make some of that info public, and if so, will pass along the data to me. don't hold your breath for that, though.

Leatherneck556
09-20-09, 20:08
Thanks a lot. That's some pretty good info.

I don't know that I'll ever pick one of these up - with that said, the system introduces something that I like a lot: the use of an armored belt to cover the lower torso. I can see how that would be very useful, and I may end up picking up one of those in the future if I get issued a plate carrier instead of a full MTV.

5102Yuma
09-27-11, 18:15
I recently tried on a friend's CAGE kit which included the belt and suspenders with standard ESAPI plates in the front and back. To say I was in awe is an understatement. It totally hugs the body, and does not ride around when running or moving, and is relatively similar in weight to the MCIRAS I have used for the past four years. I dunno if I could justify the price tag, however if I was ever to head back overseas I know enough to not put a price on my PPE, you get what you pay for. And from what my friend tells me, its worth every dime.