PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Day

HwyKnight
09-20-09, 17:30
My 115lb yellow lab 'Jaxson' moved on to a higher place today. It was very sudden, especially since he seemed fine yesterday. The vet said he had fluid around his heart caused by a tumor. He was with us for 9yrs. Today sucks!

Gunfighter.45
09-20-09, 17:33
So sorry for your loss.

trappernana
09-20-09, 17:52
I've often thought our dogs are living angels.Very sorry for your loss. Take care and the very best to you and yours.

C-Fish
09-20-09, 18:34
Sorry for your loss. I dread the day...:(

My GSPs are getting up there in age.
Indy-7
Zoe-6

bkb0000
09-20-09, 18:49
the day i put Bucky down was the saddest day of my life- and i've had a few sad days. I'd had him since he was a puppy.. since i was ten years old. 15 long years of the truest friendship a man will likely find on earth.

and the next day was the first day i ever showed up late for work, and the first day i'd ever left work early... 'cause it was the worst hangover i'd ever had too.

i'm sorry for your loss.. buy a bottle of your favorite, and toast to his faithful companionship tonight.

cosmok
09-20-09, 18:51
Sorry for your loss man, I had to put my 13yr old chocolate down in June.

bulbvivid
09-20-09, 19:09
I lost mine this summer. He was with me all day, every day, everywhere I went for 13.5 years. Lost him suddenly on the fourth of July.

I've learned a couple of things since then. For one, words don't help a lot. It's nice to know that people are thinking of you, but it doesn't fill the hole. What does help, especially with dogs, are people who understand that kind of relationship and know it's more than just master/pet, and who know the gravity of such a loss. An old guy at work would tear up about the dog he lost 15 years ago. It really helped me to know that others understand.

The thing I have to keep reminding myself is that I wouldn't trade the pain for having not known him.

So here's to Jaxson and all those good dogs for the richness they add to our lives. . .

GLOCKMASTER
09-20-09, 19:21
Sorry to hear that.:(

LockenLoad
09-20-09, 19:40
sorry for your loss

rjacobs
09-20-09, 19:58
That sucks, I know how you feel.

I had a malamute from the time he was a puppy and he died suddenly when he was only 3. He had a embalism in his spinal cord that paralyzed him and when they went to do surgery he never woke up. It tore our family up.

rrpederson
09-20-09, 20:09
sorry about your loss bro. that happened to me also a few years ago. my dad took my dog to the vet while i was at work. came home and he was gone. didnt even get to say goodbye. i had that dog 12 years. he was born in our garage and i was the first person he ever had any contact with. i was with him his entire life and wasnt there for him in death. sometimes they are not "just a dog."

MSP "Sarge"
09-20-09, 20:36
Brother I am very sorry. I had a dobbie that was a former police K9 from Texas. I had to put him down a few years back. I think of that dog everyday.

I have a yellow lab now . Scout is his name. Go out and get another. Suprise the family and bring home a new pup. Things will get better. Here is a toast to your bud!

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 20:43
HwyKnight, sorry about your loss. I haven't had my chocolate lab around for almost ten years and I still miss him. One of these days I'll get another.

HwyKnight
09-20-09, 21:58
I knew you guys would 'get it'. Thanks for the encouraging responses. I got to say goodbye when I dropped him off at the vet, I told him that if he needed to go not to wait. He was gone about 2min before we could make it back to the vets office. Gotta work tonight, so no beer, I'll save that for next weekend, or wait till we get his ashes and paw prints in a week or so. Good thing the weather sucks, not much in the mood to fly. Boss said I can go home early, but since I'm the only duty pilot available I have to cover half the shift. Undecided as to weather we will get another dog or not. Daughter just left for college, and the boys are just 2 years behind. We stand to be doing quite a bit of traveling, and anyone who has Labs can tell you that they stay puppies for the first 2-3 years.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 22:02
Stay puppies 2-3 years? Mine stayed a puppy up to the end at 13. If you and the family are going to be doing some traveling, wait a bit before getting another dog; it'll give some time to find the right one when the time is right. Duty pilot? What do you fly? AS350? Stay safe and watch out for your crew.

HwyKnight
09-20-09, 22:11
AS350B2- I have about 600hrs.

C-172/182- I have abou 4500hrs.

nfranco
09-20-09, 22:18
Oh hell, I'm sorry.
Raising a glass for Jaxson tonight.

kmrtnsn
09-20-09, 22:58
Again, sorry for your loss. Losing a pet is like losing a family member, our thoughts are with you. Sent you a PM.

HES
09-20-09, 23:13
Oh man Im so sorry to hear this. :(

parishioner
09-21-09, 05:28
I can't remember where I saw this and it actually might be someones sig line here but the quote is "I aspire to be the man my dog already thinks I am." It shows the imperfection of man and the wonderful qualities of dogs. To me, that is one of the best quotes ever put to paper. If you show them love, they will always be loyal and never pass judgment. Relationships with dogs are better than most relationships with humans.

Sorry for your loss. I am sure he was a good dog who loved every minute you spent with him.

Safetyhit
09-21-09, 08:40
That sound like about as bad a day yesterday as one could have. Really sorry.

I remember the time I picked my childhood dog up from the vet as a young man in 1994, while he was in a black bag, like it was yesterday. They make such an impact on our lives.

K.L. Davis
09-21-09, 09:08
There is no finer friend than a man's dog... and there are no words to describe the sorrow of losing that friend.

HAMMERDROP
09-21-09, 11:59
I lived your day twice in ten months ... it is a major drag. No doubt about that but do get another 'friend' there are so many out there who need YOUR love and YOUR friendship.

Michael

vel525
09-21-09, 18:50
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have two as well and just the thought of losing them makes me sad.

ljlinson1206
09-22-09, 00:01
Sorry for your loss Brother. :(