PDA

View Full Version : Winchester White Box .45ACP JHPs

cathellsk
09-21-09, 00:22
One of my local Walmarts had two boxes of the 230gr. JHP and I picked them up since .45 is hard to find in any form around here, at least for a decent price. Also got 5 100rd. value packs of FMJ earlier at the same store. What bullet is used in the .45 white box JHP? I've heard in 9mm its the SilverTip without the silver coloring. What about the .38Spl. white box JHP since were on the subject? I prefer Gold Dots but considering availability, just wondering about the above. Thanks!

tpd223
09-21-09, 10:50
The .45 and .38 loads use their standard old school JHPs. Lot's of ballistic info available on those bullets with a little digging.

cathellsk
09-21-09, 18:53
The .45 and .38 loads use their standard old school JHPs. Lot's of ballistic info available on those bullets with a little digging.

tpd223,

Thanks for the info. I tried a search for WWB (too short) and White Box (didn't bring anything back for these loads) with no luck. I haven't gotten any of the .38s yet (still have a good supply of Nyclads and GDs) and figured the .45 was better than ball. I can't find any .45 hollowpoints locally.

PA PATRIOT
09-21-09, 23:40
The old AmmoLab had a test section which covered the Winchester White Box loads in 9mm and .45acp. From what I can remember the .45acp expanded in both bare and covered calibrated ballistic Gel but had a problem losing its jacket. I don't remember the penetration depth and maybe someone here still has the old AmmoLab tests stored.

tpd223
09-22-09, 04:26
We shot the .38 load here when we were testing, I'll try to find my notes.

wrinkles
09-22-09, 10:23
I have also been searching for WWB tests and have not come buy any.

flyer
09-24-09, 06:43
If it is all you can find, then it is better than nothing. That's what I thought when I saw one box at my local Walmart and snapped it up.

tpd223
09-24-09, 08:15
"I have also been searching for WWB tests and have not come buy any."

That's because back in the day these weren't "white box" generic loads, they were considered premium defense ammo. The bullets stayed the same, technology advanced, which make these bullets old tech generic projectiles.

askani79705
09-24-09, 10:45
http://www.firearmstactical.com/ammo_data/45acp.htm

about three quarters down the page under the heading ".45 ACP 230 grain Winchester JHP, 8/2/94:" looks to be it.

DocGKR
09-24-09, 12:20
"That's because back in the day these weren't "white box" generic loads, they were considered premium defense ammo. The bullets stayed the same, technology advanced, which make these bullets old tech generic projectiles."

Bingo! We have a winner! Old style projectiles lacking robust expansion capabilities that tend to plug with clothing and act like FMJ...

cathellsk
09-24-09, 17:17
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

One last question, does anyone know why the ammo companies still even produce these loads if they have such newer better performing stuff on the market? Just always wondered....

DocGKR
09-24-09, 18:44
Because people still buy them...kind of like why they still sell hard and medium bristle toothbrushes, or push crappy beer like Olympia and Budweiser...

tpd223
09-24-09, 22:36
and people still buy them because they are cheaper to make, and thus sell for a lower price.

jaholder
09-27-09, 12:50
Thanks guys, appreciate the info.

One last question, does anyone know why the ammo companies still even produce these loads if they have such newer better performing stuff on the market? Just always wondered....

Because they're cheaper and they still work, albeit not as well as the stuff that costs twice as much.

But then again, I've no dog in the WWB fight, my SA 1911 doesn't like WWB, be it ball or JHP. I feed it Remington's version of WWB and works just fine.

tpd223
09-28-09, 03:11
Found my notes on the gello shot we did here a couple of years ago.

Ref the WWB .38 +P 125gr JHP, fired from my 642, through heavy clothing, a three shot average was 829fps, expansion at .415, penetration 16"

I've seen worse .38 loads