PDA

View Full Version : Potable Water in an Urban Post-Disaster Scenario

JB2000
09-21-09, 00:44
I have about two weeks of water stored for the family and a First Need filter to provide more. However, the first need is designed for the widlerness and is not designed to remove chemicals and pesticides. Being in a urban environment with industry nearby, if there were a serious event, I would be concerned about those things getting in the water. I have seen references to activated carbon removing some but no actual data.

What is the best way to remove chemicals and pesticides from water? Filtering? Boiling? Other?

Thanks,

JB

perna
09-21-09, 06:01
Not sure what you mean by that stuff getting in the water?

If you mean like a flood situation and what will be in the city water supply, well I think chemicals are the least of the worries. More chance of sewage/biological waste hurting you than anything else.

Filters are made to take out alot of metals/chemicals/pathogens, depending on where the water came from it might be a good idea to boil it, after filtering just to make sure there are no pathogens in it.

If you live in a city you should check their water reports, you might be surprised about the allowable limits of stuff in water, and how much stuff your water has in it everyday.

Outlander Systems
09-21-09, 21:25
I've thought about water treatment post-collapse and had a very bad thought.

With all the Chem-Lawn/Fertiliser/Pesiticides etc. in urban/suburban areas, what is one to do.

I wouldn't drink a lot of the runoff in my neck of the woods with someone else's gullet...

The best strategy I can think of is to ride out the "storm" with stockpiled H20 and wait for Ma Nature to washout and dilute the rest.

:confused:

00leland00
09-21-09, 22:44
You could build a rain catch to supplement your stores, then boil it to add a second layer of protection...

LMT4me
09-21-09, 23:00
1+ on the rain water catch. Don't wait until it's too late to get a suitable barrel or container.

Elmer Fudd
09-22-09, 00:58
We buy used once 55 gallon blue or white plastic syrup barrels from the local Pepsi and Coke bottlers - about $5 each. They need some cleaning to get the syrup taste (mostly) out :)

JB2000
09-23-09, 00:17
Rain water is probably the safest bet in this type of situation. I found a publication from the National Pesticide Telecommunications Network that states a Granulated Activated Carbon (GAC) system or a reverse osmosis unit will remove some pesticides.

http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/drinkingwater.pdf

Some water filters use activated carbon and it would seem they would help although they are not rated for pesticide removal.

Thanks for everyone's input.

JB2000
09-24-09, 12:28
I found some interesting information on Wikipedia about using rain water and also a purification method called solar water distillation (SODIS) which is different than using a solar still)

Rainwater Harvesting (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainwater_harvesting#Advantages_in_urban_areas)

Solar Water Disinfection (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SODIS)

bkb0000
09-24-09, 13:07
just dont forget to take into account the fact that rain water coming off an asphalt composition roof is EXTREMELY TOXIC, especially coming off a new roof. i'm sure older roofs are much safer, but how much safer is a big question mark.

don't drink water from your roof unless it's metal, untreated cedar, or untreated tile.

Elmer Fudd
09-24-09, 16:24
We have a rain barrel setup off a metal roof to store water for secondary uses - laundry, showers, anything but eating or drinking. One thing to consider is a first flush diverter. It is a pipe column setup that basically bypasses the first few minutes of rainwater that contains all the dirt, bird poop, etc. that is washed off the roof at the beginning. It was too difficult for me to construct, so I set up a manual diversion, figuring I would have to run out after the rain had started to change the pipe over to fill the barrel. Sounds like a good chore for the kids :D

KYPD
09-24-09, 16:39
What is the best way to remove chemicals and pesticides from water? Filtering? Boiling? Other? JB

Distillation is the traditional method, but it takes equipment and energy, and without the right equipment and adequate energy (whether gas, electric, solar, etc), it is very inefficient (meaning you may not be able to distill enough water in a day to survive in hot weather).

But if you have power, reverse osmosis is the best way. Other than that, activated charcoal filter is the only portable method of removing a wide range of dissolved chemicals. But it won't be perfect.

bkb0000
09-24-09, 16:42
Distillation is the traditional method, but it takes equipment and energy, and without the right equipment and adequate energy (whether gas, electric, solar, etc), it is very inefficient (meaning you may not be able to distill enough water in a day to survive in hot weather).

But if you have power, reverse osmosis is the best way. Other than that, activated charcoal filter is the only portable method of removing a wide range of dissolved chemicals. But it won't be perfect.

even distillation doesn't remove VOCs and similar pollutants that distill right along with the water.

we're all gonna die!

KYPD
09-24-09, 17:24
even distillation doesn't remove VOCs and similar pollutants that distill right along with the water.

we're all gonna die!

Good point re distillation. Ergo my statement : "reverse osmosis is the best way."

Damn, it must be dark in that handbasket.

RogerinTPA
09-24-09, 18:24
You could build a rain catch to supplement your stores, then boil it to add a second layer of protection...

Another consideration for rain water is that it brings, whatever is trapped in that piece of atmosphere, down with it. I work/fly out of an airport several times a week. When I get back to my car after a rain shower, it looks like it took an acid bath, but it's actually a dried watered down jet fuel, from aircraft exhaust particles suspended in the air, until the rain brings it to the ground. One way is to filter it through a drum filled with alternating layers of sand, ground charcoal and several layers of cheese cloth at the bottom, then I'd still boil it, before storage.

The best way to purify water , from any water source, is to simply distill it. 2 x 50 gallon drums, one filled with water, suspended with a fire underneath, copper tubing, leading from that one, to the empty 50 gal container to collect the steam/distilled water for collection, with a water hose nozzle at the bottom to fill other storage containers.

bkb0000
09-24-09, 18:43
Damn, it must be dark in that handbasket.

why's that? did i shave all jacked up or something?

JB2000
09-24-09, 21:30
I have a tarp shelter that uses a pole on each corner and one in the middle. I was thinking I could set that up without the center pole so the middle hangs down. Rainwater could then run into the middle and through the grommet into a bucket, barrel, etc. The tarp would be clean when I set it up and I could let the first bit of rain run onto the ground before I set my catchment underneath. I could then purify it using one of the methods discussed above.

Here's some more information on the SODIS water purification method developed by the Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology. They have lots of information on the methodology and the research it was developed from. It was developed as a method of water purification for the third world buy would be a good method to employ in an emergency because it requires nothing but sunshine and doesn;t need to be monitored.

SODIS (http://www.sodis.ch/index_EN)

Submariner
09-25-09, 11:47
Katadyn.

http://shop.katadyn.com/media/dimg/27af3554b8e1d21458e20ba9c89602bd.jpg?l=1

00leland00
09-28-09, 18:43
http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=51917

perna
09-28-09, 23:34
I have a 16ft Walmart pool, so I have about 4 thousand gallons of utility water. But I dont count on in because if a hurricane does come through it will most likely be the first thing destroyed.

kmrtnsn
09-29-09, 00:15
There is a reason why the State Department acquires housing for their personnel overseas with swimming pools and it has nothing to do with recreation. With a sufficient supply of chlorine tabs a 20,000 gallon pool can supply drinking water, cooking water, and washing water for a half dozen people for months. Just ask the staff of our Embassy in Kuwait who held out for months before the first gulf war invasion.

00leland00
09-29-09, 14:40
That's kind of my intention. I have the four 55gal drums for drinking/cooking, then I have a 20k gal in ground pool in the backyard which i plan on using for washing, flushing toilets, etc. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and pick up a case of shock to keep on hand, either.

PA PATRIOT
09-29-09, 21:06
Make sure to check with your local pool supply stores before they close for the season, most have great sales on chlorine tablets and shock and I ended up buying two 20lb buckets of 1"inch On-Guard chlorinating tablets which have 90%available chlorine for $22.00 each. I only have a pop up pool which holds about 2000 gallons of water for the kids which I drain every year but the chlorine never goes bad if stored properly and has many uses.

00leland00
09-30-09, 08:39
Good idea, thanks!

Armati
08-09-11, 21:07
Special Forces Base Camp Operations:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/12777375/fm305

A good reference for all. Check out the section on water purification. After filtering, all water should still be chlorine treated.