PDA

View Full Version : Ruger SR-22

ST911
09-21-09, 11:52
http://www.ruger.com/SR22/index.html

STURM, RUGER ANNOUNCES NEW RUGER ® SR-22TM RIFLE

Southport, CT September 21, 2009 – Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc. (NYSE:RGR) announces the introduction of the Ruger® SR-22TM Rifle, an autoloading, rimfire rifle that combines the legendary reliability of the Ruger® 10/22® with the ergonomics and configurability of the new AR-style Ruger SR-556™. The new SR-22 Rifle allows shooters to use economical .22 LR ammunition, while still enjoying the look and feel of an “AR” and experiencing the reliability they have come to appreciate from Ruger.

Because it utilizes the unique rotary magazine supplied with the Ruger 10/22, the SR-22 Rifle offers the same gold standard for reliability in autoloading rimfire rifles. Like the 10/22, the AR-style SR-22 Rifle also has an extensive array of accessories available, allowing shooters to select a custom configuration that best suits their tastes and needs.

The SR-22 Rifle uses a standard 10/22 action inside a top-quality, all-aluminum chassis that faithfully replicates the AR-platform dimensions between the sighting plane, buttstock height, and grip. The SR-22 Rifle provides a Picatinny rail optic mount, and includes a six-position, telescoping M4-style buttstock (on a Mil-Spec diameter tube), plus a Hogue® Monogrip® pistol grip. Buttstocks and grips may be swapped out for any AR-style compatible option.

The SR-22 Rifle also features a round, mid-length handguard mounted on a standard-thread AR-style barrel nut. Picatinny rails, specifically designed for this handguard, are available from Ruger, allowing the handguard to be configured to accept any number of rail-mounted sights or accessories. A barrel support block is installed in the handguard, ensuring accuracy and allowing the standard 10/22 V-block barrel attachment system to be used.

The SR-22 Rifle is equipped with a precision-rifled, cold hammer forged alloy steel barrel. The 16-1/8” barrel is capped with an SR-556/Mini-14 flash suppressor mounted with a ˝”-28 thread.

For more information on the SR-22 Rifle, and other great Ruger products, please visit our website at www.ruger.com.

Interesting convergence of "win" and "fail".

The SR22 utilizes 10/22 controls. Mag release, bolt stop, safety, bolt handle, etc, all require a wholly divergent skill set and muscle memory from a conventional AR. For the dedicated AR user, this will be relegated to toy status only.

The venerable 10/22 is a good action though, will be reliable, has a variety of magazines available, and will sell in this platform. Similar ergos to the conventional AR, as well as the ability to integrate AR accessories will appeal to many.

Ruger brought it's own rimfire AR to the market and avoided most issues with others by simply repackaging an existing offering. This is not an AR, this is a 10/22 with new furniture.

Video on Downrange TV: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/?p=768

ST911
09-21-09, 11:53
Double tap.

wargasm
09-21-09, 13:10
About time.

glockeyed
09-21-09, 13:17
cough Nordic AR cough

Tokarev
09-21-09, 13:24
Interesting gun. I like that it appears to be "mostly" 10/22 underneath. There are some good aftermarket upgrades to the 10/22 that can be used on this new rifle.

With that said, I think Smith and Wesson's got 'em beat. The ability to use an AR trigger and manual of arms is a big plus for a trainer-type rifle.

Bowser
09-21-09, 14:17
cough Nordic AR cough

+1 lol

Outlander Systems
09-21-09, 15:35
Interesting. But, there has to be some sort of relationship between Ruger and NC on this. It's too, too similar for comfort.

ST911
09-21-09, 15:37
cough Nordic AR cough

With so many other designs on the market to imitate, there's little need to innovate. See also: SR9, LCP

glockeyed
09-21-09, 16:14
With so many other designs on the market to imitate, there's little need to innovate. See also: SR9, LCP

true, but talk about saturated markets... 10/22, 1911, AR's ;) however i thought the 10/22 Charger was a neat idea.

if i build another 10/22 it won't have a single ruger part in it.

mrbieler
09-22-09, 20:16
cough Nordic AR cough

Interesting. But, there has to be some sort of relationship between Ruger and NC on this. It's too, too similar for comfort.

The Ruger web page notes that the chassis is made by Nordic to Ruger specs.

Robb Jensen
09-22-09, 20:22
Totally Nordic.

Great kit but if you're using it to replace 'training' with ARs then it's different. Mag changes are still done like 10/22s. I sold my Nordic stocked 10/22 because of this and went with a Tactical Solutions .22 upper on a standard AR lower. I removed the FSB and used a 9" LaRue rail and Magpul sights. It also has an Aimpoint M4S in a Bobro mount. Magpul CTR stock and MOE grip.

Gramps
09-22-09, 22:13
And a MSRP of what, around $625? And how much for a M&P 15-22?

ST911
09-23-09, 09:53
And a MSRP of what, around $625? And how much for a M&P 15-22?

That's a big variable... Unless you're a dedicated 10/22 shooter, collector, or Ruger fan, there's just no reason to buy the SR-22 for more money than others.

Gramps
09-23-09, 12:16
That's a big variable... Unless you're a dedicated 10/22 shooter, collector, or Ruger fan, there's just no reason to buy the SR-22 for more money than others.

Exactly! I can't see spending MORE for a "WANNABE". After all, the 10/22 (Which I have one of, customized, and love it) was not designed to be an M/AR. If you want some thing that just looks like an M/AR, then why spend more for a look alike? If you want what is as close as can get to an M/AR, then why get a SR 22?

I guess it's just not for me, so to each his own, as long as we are happy.

perna
09-23-09, 15:30
I cant believe it does not come with any sights at all, and if you want to add iron sights it doesnt even come with a rail to mount the front one. For the price you shouldnt have to add stuff to shoot it.

Dan Goodwin
09-27-09, 07:37
What is the street price of the Smith trainer? Haven't seen one in my area.

perna
09-29-09, 19:02
SR-22 Price: $479.99

Competitively priced to the other 22's, but has no sights.

FVC3
10-03-09, 06:25
I handled one of these at the gun pusher's yesterday. As others have noted, it's not a valid AR trainer. What it is, is a very solid, obviously well built 10-22. I bought a S&W 15-22 about 6 weeks ago, and I love it. But I still damn near plunked down 469.00 for this thing. Hell, I know all it's negatives - but I've enjoyed a bunch of 10-22s over the decades - and this is a very nice one. If it earns a rep for really good accuracy, I will buy one.

glock2026
10-03-09, 13:31
:p just shoot 22 out of your ar with a kit , stupid to outfit 2 guns to /feel/ the same as an AR.Not cheap either conversions work well .

FVC3
10-03-09, 17:29
:p just shoot 22 out of your ar with a kit , stupid to outfit 2 guns to /feel/ the same as an AR.Not cheap either conversions work well .

Fail. I've got a CMMG kit, works fine, but...eh.

I've also got an M&P .22 - runs like a sewing machine. I like it a lot. As soon as my sling comes in, it will be set up just like my primary AR.

As I said, I wouldn't buy the Ruger as an AR trainer - I'd buy it as a cool 10-22 variant. But, Ill only buy it if it gets high marks for accuracy; then I'll put a cheap 1-4 RDS like a Millet DMS on it and enjoy it for what it is. Grandkids'll get a kick out of it, too.

glock2026
10-03-09, 17:42
I think they are expensive for plastic guns.

FVC3
10-04-09, 16:32
I think they are expensive for plastic guns.

Ahh - now you're talking out of your ass. The Ruger is aluminum, and solid as can be - weighs about 6.5 lbs, unless I miss my guess.

Odd comment from a guy with "Glock" in his handle.

glockeyed
10-04-09, 17:09
he might be refering to how now the 10/22 trigger housing is plastic.

FVC3
10-17-09, 12:29
he might be refering to how now the 10/22 trigger housing is plastic.

What difference would that make to the discussion? Besides, it doesn't seem at all likely that that is what he meant, given the statement "seems expensive for a plastic gun"

A very short list of guns with plastic trigger guards (in whole or in part) would include:

Glocks
AR15s
S&W M&Ps
Springfield XDs
Mossberg 500s

And many, many more.

Seems much more likely he just didn't know WTF he was talking about and got called on it.

Tokarev
10-19-09, 22:03
I got to see this new model today over at Shedhorn Sports in Ennis, MT. They had a bunch of these and two or three Colts in stock. No Smiths. I have to say that I like the Colt (which I don't really like at all) and the Smith versions much better.

On the plus side, the gun is the time-tested 10/22 action. It is also threaded for a flash hider.

Gator Monroe
10-19-09, 22:09
WASR 22 for the guys who wear .22 battlepacks ! lol:p