PDA

View Full Version : Newbie has a question about handguards

rickcis
02-15-07, 12:20
Hi Folks
I am a newbie (In New York :rolleyes: ) and I have just picked up a a Post Ban Bushmaster M4A3 and I am looking at putting on Free Floating Handguards (Larue??).

My question is, can I put on free floaters when some directions I have seen tell you to take off the compensator? On the Post Ban carbines, the compensator is pinned and cannot be taken off.

By the way, great articles. It helps a newbie like myself learn things instead of making costly errors.

Chris_C
02-15-07, 12:37
I have never seen a compensator fatter that the handguard...?? Am I missing something here or reading something wrong. If you are going freefloat, the bbl will have to come off to remove the D Ring...

cpekz
02-15-07, 12:37
I'm pretty sure that the compensator needs to be removed for you to install a free floating rail. I know for a fact that I have to remove my A2 birdcage in order for me to install the Larue FF I've got coming, and something tells me your compensator is a little wider :D . You might be able to get a gunsmith to install it though.

rob_s
02-15-07, 12:56
You'll have to remove the flash suppressor in order to get the front sight base off, and you'll have to take the FSB off to get the handguard on. Or more correctly, to get the barrel nut on.

I would guess that ADCO could cut your muzzle device off, install everything, and re-install a new muzzle device, but I bet that would get pretty pricey.

You could use something like a Troy rail that clamps on though and save yourself some headaches. Or you could cut the FSB off and replace it with a two-piece clamp-on gas block. The barrel nut should fit over your muzzle device.

rickcis
02-15-07, 13:08
Thanks Guys. Sometimes it really sucks to live in NY... Taxes... weather...gun restrictions... I think you get the picture.:mad:

tikkafan
02-15-07, 13:13
You might want to just get a new barrel. It'll make your life easier.