PDA

View Full Version : battle belt vs pistol belt for classes

andy t
09-22-09, 10:00
I used a Wilderness instructors belt with two AR mag pouches, 2 pistol pouches and a holster for a previous rifle class. However, I'm thinking about using a battle belt concept with a molle belt.
Which brings me to a few questions: what means are there to attach accessories designed for standard 1.5" belts to molle?
Also, since they seem very similar in function I'm curious about pros/cons of either aproach.

Thanks

Iraq Ninja
09-22-09, 10:28
Wear what you intend to wear for work, play, SHTF, etc. You should not buy gear just for a course.

A course is just a course. I think too many people get overly concerned with their "course kit". If you are in decent shape, no course will be so physically challenging that your kit will make much of a difference. As long as you can carry some spare mags and a sidearm if needed, it is good to go.

A regular belt is just fine. Battle belts are good too, and a bit more "cool" as they say. Depends also on the level of comfort you require.

Don't discount the shoulder bag as a viable option. It is probably more practical for civilian situations than a battle belt or chest rig.

andy t
09-22-09, 12:42
Iraqi Ninja,

I agree with you. My only interest in getting a battle belt:
I recently got a new Safariland belt holster with the hood that I would like to use. However, this holster is a PITA to thread on to the belt. So I thought - if I have a dedicated battle belt, I can have the holster mounted, so there is no need to to fuss around with the holster etc...Also, since the general position of the holster would remain similar to a belt rig, it would offer training value for everyday carry as well.

Failure2Stop
09-22-09, 12:46
The Ninja gives some very good advice.

Anyway-
I prefer the comfort of a padded molle sleeve over a duty-belt type setup. I can't think of many occasions in civilian life where I would be trotting around with rifle mags on my pants-holdie-uppie belt. Maybe, just maybe, I might stick an AR Kydex pouch on my pants belt. Seriously though, it would be a pretty odd circumstance for that to happen, unless I was in some odd security role that would require me to carry a rifle and sustainment ammo, but conceal them.

The Molle Belt system I find to be very flexible. At work under a big vest it carries my pistol mags, holster, frags, dump pouch, multi-tool pouch, and a forget-me-not pouch. Under a plate carrier I add a rifle speed reload. Off duty- for competition and classes it is slightly reconfigured to give more space to rifle sustainment pouches, but the pistol is basically the same throughout, and the rifle speed reload is the same regardless of how many more pouches go on behind it. I just add a bleeder kit to the rig for personal/range use. It goes everywhere with me and is easy to put on.

The "Mag-Bag" approach is also sound- but is prone to more errors and is slower to reload from. The major advantage of it is that it is inconspicuous.

Kimbo
09-22-09, 12:47
Make sure you test the belt by wearing it for a good portion of the day with you gear on it. In my personal experience with "battle belts" they tend to ride up or sag and making your pants underneath sag as well. Suspenders help keep you pants up if you have a lot of gear or weight on your battle belt.