PDA

View Full Version : My 1st AR, DD XV vs. BCM vs. 6920

j-easy
09-22-09, 12:31
I am in the market for my first AR and have been researching this off and on for about a year or so and now that the market is coming back down to normal I am probably gonna make a move on something. I had originally decided to go with the Colt LE6920 but after looking into this I have recently discovered the new Daniel Defense XV and the complete BCM rifles from G&R tactical that are actually a bit cheaper yet still use all the same high quality parts and quality control and stack up just as well on the left side of the chart. I would like to eventually get a rail system but will probably have to get one later as I really can't go over about $1200, $1300 tops right now.

I'm heavily learning towards the DD XV, I can get it for $1,139 with free shipping at aimsurplus and with a $25 transfer it is well within my budget, the other thing is that Daniel Defense is doing a deal where you get a $250 gift card to use on there accessories if you buy one of there rifles before Dec. 31st, so I could get the rifle and one of there rail systems and still be around $1200.

I could get a BCM for $1,134 but I am unsure of whether or not I should get the Mid-Length or the M4, and I would have to buy a rail for it down the road at full price.

and the 3rd option is the Colt LE6920 from Clyde Armory at $1249 and still have to buy the rail later on, the only advantage of going with colt that I can see is maybe it would hold is value better due to better brand recognition. but I don't really plan on selling this rifle anytime soon if ever.

and the BCM and DD rifles both have lifetime warranties, whereas the colt as a 1 year.

So am I on the right track with the DD XV and using the gift card to get the DD rail? Is there somewhere else selling any of these rifles at a better price? is there something else I have overlooked? I would appreciate any feedback or thoughts on this matter as this will be my first AR. I am just a civilian who enjoys target shooting and would like to buy quality the first time, I thinking about doing Tac 3 gun or maybe some carbine courses down the road. Thanks.

Icculus
09-22-09, 12:39
Think your on the right track thinking wise. Don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I just saw this in the EE though and you might want to take a look. Would keep you in your price range and get you the rail

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37556

Rider79
09-22-09, 12:40
They're both excellent rifles, but the Daniel Defense gift card makes the DD an even better deal. Check with Grant at G&R though, he had a decent discount for M4C members on the DD Xv before, not sure if its still going on. Its a significant savings off the price you quoted.

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=XV-M4

bubba04
09-22-09, 13:09
I am torn on which to get as well, however I am sitting on the fence between the DDXV and the BCM mid length from G&R. I really really like the middy.

hammonje
09-22-09, 13:22
Get the BCM middy. Can't go wrong with that one.

Biggy
09-22-09, 13:48
I hear BCM , DD and probably another very well respected barrel maker will have lightweight (.625") standard and CHF barrels available in the not to distant future. So this may be another option for you to consider if and when they offer these in a complete rifle package.

j-easy
09-22-09, 14:12
I hear BCM , DD and probably another very well respected barrel maker will have lightweight (.625") standard and CHF barrels available in the not to distant future. So this may be another option for you to consider if and when they offer these in a complete rifle package.

as in the next couple months? I will be buying a rifle before the end of this year so I have some time

Biggy
09-22-09, 14:20
I don't know for sure so best to call or email them.

adh
09-22-09, 14:59
Have you considered the BCM upper/BCG/CH and buying the complete lower separately? This would save you $$ on the FET.

redworm
09-22-09, 15:11
I'm in the same situation as the OP. I'm going back and forth between the 6920, BCM complete or even BCM build. Anybody want to convince me one way or the other. The lifetime warranty on the BCM is reassuring.

redworm
09-22-09, 15:14
Have you considered the BCM upper/BCG/CH and buying the complete lower separately? This would save you $$ on the FET.

Any truth that the upper and lower have to be purchased on separate days to avoid the FET?

RogerinTPA
09-22-09, 16:40
Code4 has Colt 6920s for $1150.00 http://code4lesales.com/listman/listings/l0005.php

JSGlock34
09-22-09, 18:10
Since you mentioned Clyde Armory, I suggest you give them a call regarding their pricing on the Daniel Defense XV. Their discount is substantial, and when you add on the current Daniel Defense gift card promotion, it is quite a deal. I'm having a hard time resisting...

htxred
09-22-09, 19:37
i've owned both, dd and bcm. both are great and for the money, i think you come out on top more then you would with a 6920

seb5
09-22-09, 19:51
Well, I've owned Colt, own 2 DD's and have bought many parts from Bravo to build a couple of my carbines. You are on the right track. All you need to do is pull the trigger. IMHO the DDM-4 is the way to go. I also prefer mid length so much so that I have one DD with an Adco middie on it. For the dollars it's hard to beat anything from Bravo. I've been looking hard at a G&R tactical complete Bravo middie even though I do not need another rifle.

Looey
09-22-09, 19:58
Think your on the right track thinking wise. Don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. I just saw this in the EE though and you might want to take a look. Would keep you in your price range and get you the rail

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=37556

I dont think you cant beat this deal, right out of the box you have a great set up. specially for that price. I think the other rifles are great but for the money you cant beat the DD, i have put about 1500 rounds thru mine already and she is running like a champ. plus the rail allows me to place my support hand further forward than the other rifles.