PDA

View Full Version : Gas block w/rails which is the best??

viejo67
09-22-09, 13:51
Hi Guys

I want to change my front sight tower for a nice gas block that do the same job,
I want to mount a Magpul Bius sight. No adjustable blocks.... I was thinking in a jp gas block..What is your best jugment.... thanks... :cool::cool:

carbinero
09-22-09, 14:17
My opinion is to use a folding front sight tower, like YHM at the low end, or ARMS' new one. Vltor also has one. I'm not fond of PRI's HK-like protective wings, but it should be a solid unit.

If you're thinking about putting a polymer sight on a railed GB--not a good idea. Gets hot.

Anyhow, if you do go with the railed GB, I'd be sure to get a tall one, so it works with standard BUIS like Troy. And, have it pinned on, no matter what.

Mac5.56
09-22-09, 18:14
Yea the guys from Magpul when I contacted them stressed not to put a MBUS on a railed gas block. It will melt. But go with a metal one. That is what I have, and I like having pop ups on the front and back and no traditional FSB.

JSGlock34
09-22-09, 18:22
If you want to run the MBUS, why not have a gunsmith shave down the gasblock and mount a free float rail or tube over it? You already own the current FSB and it is already pinned, which is a strong combination. Save your money on the gas block and put it towards a tube or rail.

(As an aside, I wouldn't go through this much trouble just to mount a MBUS - to me the advantage of the flip up front sight is in optics compatibility.)

Norone
09-23-09, 14:43
Forget money, melting, and shaving, and etc......
Get a JP adjustable low pro gas block so you can set the gun to run as you want.
Then purchase a free float hand guard to ride over it where you can place a solid and hard metal, non-plastic back up front site.
You will not regret it.:D

Ridge_Runner_5
09-24-09, 02:18
Midwest Industries Low Profile Gas Block - $35
LaRue Tactical 10" Handguard - $295
Troy Folding Front Sight - $125
Pure sex on the range - Pricele$$
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/89Sunbird/AR-15/d9c29e29.jpg

Failure2Stop
09-24-09, 07:50
In relation to the barrel, the height of a gas-block rail and the height of a handguard rail are NOT the same. The gas block rail is LOWER than the HG rail.
This means that you can NOT put a front BUIS on a gas-block that is made for a HG rail and expect to get a zero. You are gonna be shooting WAAAAAAAAAY high.

There are some advantages (as far as iron sight shooting) to having the front sight attached to the barrel and not the HG if you have a FF rail, but it has to be done right and most people wouldn't be effected in the slightest either way, especially if using receiver mounted optics.

carbinero
09-24-09, 10:24
There are railed GBs which are the taller height, so you can use a Troy.

Also, if you plan to use your irons as primary, it makes more sense not to have it on the handguard.

That said, I like the idea of an integral FS/GB, which is why I recommended as above.

Blankwaffe
09-24-09, 17:39
In relation to the barrel, the height of a gas-block rail and the height of a handguard rail are NOT the same. The gas block rail is LOWER than the HG rail.
This means that you can NOT put a front BUIS on a gas-block that is made for a HG rail and expect to get a zero. You are gonna be shooting WAAAAAAAAAY high.

There are some advantages (as far as iron sight shooting) to having the front sight attached to the barrel and not the HG if you have a FF rail, but it has to be done right and most people wouldn't be effected in the slightest either way, especially if using receiver mounted optics.

F2S,
Which of the detachable folding gas block mounted BUIS have you seen to work the best and highest quality?

Mac5.56
09-24-09, 20:56
I believe that about a year ago I saw that it was Troy that manufactured the railed gas block that comes on the MP15OR. But I went back to the Troy site to verify this just now and I can't find it any more. Anyway, the gas block on the OR is on the same plain as the rail on the upper receiver, they line up perfectly.

viejo67
09-25-09, 09:43
The Troy sights sound interesting....lets go with the lower gas block and a La Rue freefloat handguard... thanks guys I will place my pics at the of the job...thanks:cool::cool::cool: I think,can I pin block the gas block to the barrel right???

Failure2Stop
09-25-09, 11:51
There are railed GBs which are the taller height, so you can use a Troy.

Sorry for being vague, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any that were the "correct" height. It's just that most are the lower height.

F2S,
Which of the detachable folding gas block mounted BUIS have you seen to work the best and highest quality?

I have never used a railed gas block in conjunction with a gas block rail-mounted BUIS.
I only have personal experience with the PRI folding front sight gas block.
There are a few good options (according to others I believe).
Whatever you go with, it needs to be pinned on, and it will get really hot really fast.

I do not see any reason to get a railed gas block. They suck for mounting anything because of how hot they get and there are great options for either integrated gas block BUIS or rail mounted BUIS, at lower cost.

JSGlock34
09-25-09, 16:10
The Troy sights sound interesting....lets go with the lower gas block and a La Rue freefloat handguard... thanks guys I will place my pics at the of the job...thanks:cool::cool::cool: I think,can I pin block the gas block to the barrel right???

This is why I recommend simply cutting down the existing front sight block. It is already pinned for your barrel. Shaving down the existing FSB is an extremely strong - and economical - option.

Here's my SBR - sounds very similar to the configuration you are contemplating...LaRue 9" rail, Troy BUIS. Gas block cutdown and rail installed by GotM4...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x131/JSGlock34/IMG_2616.jpg

viejo67
09-25-09, 20:18
I think the best option is to cut the tower front sight and go with La Rue
handguard i like the way they attached to the upper receiver....thanks jcblock34 your M4 looks hot with that flash suppresor...

Blankwaffe
09-25-09, 20:23
Sorry for being vague, I didn't mean to imply that there weren't any that were the "correct" height. It's just that most are the lower height.

I have never used a railed gas block in conjunction with a gas block rail-mounted BUIS.
I only have personal experience with the PRI folding front sight gas block.
There are a few good options (according to others I believe).
Whatever you go with, it needs to be pinned on, and it will get really hot really fast.

I do not see any reason to get a railed gas block. They suck for mounting anything because of how hot they get and there are great options for either integrated gas block BUIS or rail mounted BUIS, at lower cost.

Well thats about the conclusion Ive come to as well.
I was looking at upgrading to a gas block with intergrated BUIS.
Thanks for the feed back.