PDA

View Full Version : Taking An SBR Across State Lines

09-23-09, 11:05
I will be attending an upcoming carbine class and will be bringing my SBR as my primary. What form do I need to fill out or is it just a "courtesy" notification?

9mmkungfu
09-23-09, 12:21
I will be attending an upcoming carbine class and will be bringing my SBR as my primary. What form do I need to fill out or is it just a "courtesy" notification?

http://www.titleii.com/TitleII.com/Forms.html

The form you are looking for is 5320-20. It is not a courtesy; approval is required.

09-23-09, 12:51
How long does it take for these forms to be approved?

Kimbo
09-23-09, 13:23
I heard it takes like two weeks.

Zhurdan
09-23-09, 14:19
When I called to ask about the forms, I was told that you can mark them for just under a year. For instance, from Oct. 1, 2009 to Sept. 30, 2010. Anyone else heard that? I'd like to take my suppressor to a shoot. I think it'd be fun to shoot with it.

Titleist
09-23-09, 14:23
I heard it takes like two weeks.

I got one approved in just under 1.5 weeks. Usually those are handled quicker since they just verify you're in the system, and the state allows it, then they send it back all signed and good to go.

RetreatHell
09-23-09, 19:17
Yes, that is true. That's what I have done both times I sent my "SBR travel" forms in. And both times they were approved and had a turnaround time of no more than 2 weeks max.

When I called to ask about the forms, I was told that you can mark them for just under a year. For instance, from Oct. 1, 2009 to Sept. 30, 2010. Anyone else heard that? I'd like to take my suppressor to a shoot. I think it'd be fun to shoot with it.

09-23-09, 21:24
Looks like I'm SOL then. Just found about the class, will be overnighting the form tomorrow. Will be there by Fri.-West Virginia. Wondering if I have approval, verified by phone, but haven't received form in mail yet, could I still travel with it?

May just have to purchase a 6920 tomorrow. Not the worst thing to happen, but $$$ is tight. Getting geared up sure isn't cheap. Sling(s)(going plural sometimes now b/c prob. need 2 of certain items) MIAD grip(just one), rear sights(fixed or flip up-what's your opinion), CTR(or EMOD). Not to mention rails. Not getting into optics until I learn the irons correctly.

Let's hear some sling recommendations based on hard usage. Rear sights? I want to keep the FSB. I have done my research/asked questions so let's hear your thoughts. I feel a CTR stock on an SBR has several good points. Thoughts?

Tennvol12345
09-23-09, 21:33
I think you can fax the forms. I've heard of others needing a quick turn around and sending them in via fax. Maybe call NFA and ask them.

Titleist
09-23-09, 21:34
Fax is generally no go anymore.

09-23-09, 22:09
Tennvol- Like the screen name. Graduated from UT. Hopefully Kiffin will get us where we should be in 3-4 yrs.

Tennvol12345
09-23-09, 22:12
I graduated in 2001, got a chance to see Manning play and Tee win it all in 1998. I'm hoping it will be more like 2 years rather than 4.

9mmkungfu
09-23-09, 22:13
I would call them. They may still fax the approved form back to you. They will try to help you as much as they can, from my experience.

RetreatHell
09-23-09, 23:39
You could also quite possibly borrow a complete rifle from your instructor. They generally have several rifles that they are T&E-ing for different companies, and also just have a few extras as back-ups for when students' rifles go down. If you have the extra money, sure go ahead and buy the Colt. But you mentioned money is tight right now, so I'd email/call the class instructor or training company and ask them if they have an extra carbine they could let you shoot.

Your fellow students will also generally have a spare back up rifle just in case their primary one goes down, and I guarantee that there will be those who would gladly let you use one of theirs. I know I would.

As far as slings go, I have used a Specter single point sling in one 2-day carbine course with no problems, and have used a Magpul MS2 sling in a 3-day course with no problems. They both worked great, but I LOVE the MS2 a lot more mainly because of the quick adjustment loop (which is mainly intended for switching to the 2-point config I think, but I don't use that) and the material it's made of is A LOT easier on the neck and any exposed skin. It's just so soft and feels great!

CTR stock rocks in my opinion from SBRs to any other carbine-length AR (up to 16" barrel)

For BUIS I have been using KAC flip-up 300m and KAC 200-600m BUIS's lately. On my SR-15 E3 I'm going to keep the KAC BUIS on there. But for my other 3 carbines, I'm going back to Troy flip-up BUIS. After doing some training this past Monday with a few friends I met in a recent carbine course, I realized that I like the option to have dual apertures. But that's just me, and everyone is different and have differing opinions on gear and accessories, especially when it comes to their BUIS of choice.

I personally don't like a fixed rear BUIS, but once again that's my personal preference, YMMV greatly on that. I couldn't seem to NOT focus on the Larue fixed rear BUIS when I was using my aimpoint T-1 RDS to aim. But I know for a fact that I didn't give it much of a chance to work, as I only used it for one short range session and decided I didn't like it. I am thinking about buying another one someday and actually giving it a solid chance at that time.

That's all I got for you, brother. Hope this helps.

Semper Fi',

Paul

Looks like I'm SOL then. Just found about the class, will be overnighting the form tomorrow. Will be there by Fri.-West Virginia. Wondering if I have approval, verified by phone, but haven't received form in mail yet, could I still travel with it?

May just have to purchase a 6920 tomorrow. Not the worst thing to happen, but $$$ is tight. Getting geared up sure isn't cheap. Sling(s)(going plural sometimes now b/c prob. need 2 of certain items) MIAD grip(just one), rear sights(fixed or flip up-what's your opinion), CTR(or EMOD). Not to mention rails. Not getting into optics until I learn the irons correctly.

Let's hear some sling recommendations based on hard usage. Rear sights? I want to keep the FSB. I have done my research/asked questions so let's hear your thoughts. I feel a CTR stock on an SBR has several good points. Thoughts?

Kimbo
09-24-09, 00:18

Yup your travel form can be good for up to a year as long as you mark the appropriate area...

sdacbob
09-29-09, 06:48
I've always faxed mine in. I did however mail my first one so they had an original on file before I faxed the others. I also had them fax an approved copy to me as I hadn't received the hard copy in the mail and I was leaving the next morning. They will work with you.

GIFFMANN
09-30-09, 12:20
Faxing is not a problem. I faxed mine the day before I was departing. Called up the NFA office, left a VM. They returned my call Thursday morning, asked me to fax it over and mark it urgent and give a return fax #. I had my faxed approval back within 3 hours and about a week later had the hard copy approval in the mail from them.

10-01-09, 12:24
Talked to Ted Clutter at the ATF. He was helpful and nice. He received my form Mon. morning and had it in the mail to me that afternoon. He even offered to fax me a copy tomorrow, Oct. 2, if I didn't receive the original in the mail in time to leave for the class. Good customer service.

From my limited interactions with the ATF, they have been cordial, helpful, and willing to work with me each time. Nice to see not all our taxes are wasted.

Doggiecop
10-14-09, 10:12
Good information . . . . . let us know hw the class went.

Good to see the ATF was helpful to you.

caporider
10-14-09, 10:41
If you put a non-NFA upper on your SBR lower, and you don't take your SBR upper along, you can transport your SBR lower/non-NFA upper combination across state lines without notifying NFA Branch:

http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/SBR_TRANSPORT_LETTER_PG1_001.jpg
http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/SBR_TRANSPORT_LETTER_PG2_001.jpg
http://personal.visualitymedia.com/personal/misc/SBR_TRANSPORT_LETTER_PG3.jpg