PDA

View Full Version : Mag Carrier Bullets to front or rear

Rickenbacker53
09-23-09, 12:07
Sorry if this has been discussed. I couldn't find anything. I am going to order a bladetech mag carrier to wear on the left hip but I am also a lefty rifle shooter. My thinking is I will we reaching across my chest to grab a mag for a reload. My thinking is bullets to front. That correct.

Before someone says why wouldn't it be on you right side ? it's because my handgun is on the right hip. Although I shoot rifle lefty -ambi actually_ I am right handed handgun shooter.

custom-x_sponjah
09-23-09, 12:17
I am cross eye Dominate. Rifle Lefty, Pistol Righty..
I would run bullets forward on the left side, when extracting with my right hand and "Beer Canning".
Bullets back if I was extracting as I normally do, with my index finger along the front spine of the magazine and the base plate in my palm.
This may change depending on what rifle I'm shooting. I do not reload AK mags the same as AR and so forth..
Also keep in mind where your pistol reloads are located..

CXS

andy t
09-23-09, 12:31
I would run it bullets backward, and when extracting, I would place my right palm on the base plate, right index finger along the front of the magazine. I think this would be easier to manipulate and put less strain on the wrist compared to trying to "beer can the magazine".

LOKNLOD
09-23-09, 12:52
Try this: Do dry runs with the reload, in reverse. Put the empty mag in your empty rifle, put your hand on it in the way you want to be grasping it when you insert it, then reverse the motion and try to put it back into an imaginary pouch on your belt in the spot you intend to wear it. See how the orientation ends up.

If you can't make up your mind, you could always try one of these instead: Ready-Tactical ambi pouch (http://www.skdtac.com/Ready_Tactical_AR15_Mag_Pouch_p/rdt.110.htm) so you're not committing to one direction or the other.

Personally, I'd put it behind my pistol (about 4:30-5:00 o'clock) on my right side with bullets to the rear, and then beer-can it. Reaching across is awkward to me, especially in an agressive stance. If I wanted to put it on my left side, it would have to be at about 11:00, really more on my front, and the bullets would point rear/left for a pistol-style grab with forefinger on the front of the mag. Maybe I've got T-rex arms, but getting to my left hip (9:00) with my right hand requires me to stand up straight and twist a little.

Failure2Stop
09-23-09, 14:49
Sorry if this has been discussed. I couldn't find anything. I am going to order a bladetech mag carrier to wear on the left hip but I am also a lefty rifle shooter. My thinking is I will we reaching across my chest to grab a mag for a reload. My thinking is bullets to front. That correct.

Before someone says why wouldn't it be on you right side ? it's because my handgun is on the right hip. Although I shoot rifle lefty -ambi actually_ I am right handed handgun shooter.

It seems to me that you are making life harder than it needs to be.

True ambidexterity means that you can perform tasks with equal performance and comfort with either hand. Simply being able to pull the trigger with the support hand is not ambidexterity.

Reaching across your torso for a reload is a bad way to go. I would make every effort to get my rifle mags on the side that is going to reload the gun.

Jake0331
09-23-09, 19:51
Retrain your handgunning to the other side.

CAPT KIRK
09-23-09, 22:12
You have to figure out what your individual body mechanics allow, develop a style and practice with it.

I firmly believe in the "beer can grip", but am a bit of an oddball in how I do this because of my past wrist injuries.

I am right handed and carry my mags mostly on the left side with bullets forward. I extract with my left hand by running my hand thumb down, with the back of my hand towards my body, down behind the mag. This gives me my "beer can grip" without struggling with the difficulty of contorting my wrist.

This also puts them in a perfect orientation for a "beer can grip" if I retrieve with my right hand while shooting support side.

Iraq Ninja
09-24-09, 13:35
Determine what your Primary Weapon is. I assume it is your carbine. Primary has priority. Put the mags on the correct side and don't cross draw.

Then set up your secondary around the primary.

Norone
09-28-09, 05:21
+1 for Iraq Ninja...

While not ignoring your weaker parts always play to your strengths- your primary.
Train for true dexterity of course but you set your rig to run your guns- to feed bullets to your guns to feed bad guys in due course.
Set up to do just that and train it with dry fire and live. You will be amazed how fast you will adapt.
Bets of luck bro.

rob_s
09-28-09, 07:37
Determine what your Primary Weapon is. I assume it is your carbine. Primary has priority. Put the mags on the correct side and don't cross draw.

Then set up your secondary around the primary.

I agree, but I would argue that if you're a non-military type (to include the majority of LE) your handgun is your primary.

We have two or three guys in our club that shoot rifle and pistol from opposite sides, and I've never thought to look at how they carry their ammo. I think at least one avoids the question and uses a chest rig.