PDA

View Full Version : Ammo finds????

Shihan
02-16-07, 05:19
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone has found any decent 5.56 ammo finds on the net? All I can find is the junk loose box stuff and M855 for 8bucks/20.

Thanks

f.2
02-16-07, 07:06
AMMO PRICE LIST (http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=222888) Updated Thursday, February 15, 2007

Lots of XM193 52 gr. Expensive. Looks like kiser on arfcom EE has Black Hills blue box (remanufactured).

Jim Colborn
02-16-07, 07:29
e mailed kiser and here was his reply about 55 gr Black Hills blue box - remanufactured.

"I have one case left...a fella backed out on the deal. It is $349/1000 delivered."

Jim

Shihan
02-17-07, 18:10
Thanks for the link, I picked up 2 cases of reloaded Blackhills last week I wish I would of known your price Jim as I got it a few bucks cheaper but was stuck with tax making your delivered price a bargin.

Razorhunter
02-17-07, 18:24
Ammoman.com or Cheaperthandirt.com usually have some decent deals...

Shihan
02-18-07, 02:30
Ammoman wont sell me any M855, he says that ole military me dosent qualify as government personel?????????????????????? It looks like what he has is loose turn-ins anyhow. Im trying to stock up on everything now since i might not be able to get it when im a civilian again?

Thanks

rmecapn
02-18-07, 21:11
Ammoman wont sell me any M855, he says that ole military me dosent qualify as government personel?????????????????????? It looks like what he has is loose turn-ins anyhow. Im trying to stock up on everything now since i might not be able to get it when im a civilian again?

It's against the law to sell military surplus ammo anyway. Ammoman shouldn't have any actual surplus, unless it's for LE use only. He may have QC rejects that were set aside prior to being sent to the government for inspection that he can sell to other than LE.

Actual 5.56 loads are extemely hard to come by as Uncle Sugar is keeping all the manufacturers busy producing for them. AIM Surplus had some SS109, I'm not sure if they still do. 30 cents a round is about as cheap as you're going to get it, if you can find it.

-H-
02-18-07, 23:35
I usually don't share my ammo finds, but I may not be around to buy any and plus it's not the greatest deal but...

About .23 a round but good ammo and a tad hotter than our own XM193 IMO.
Buy battle pack amounts only! If you buy individual boxes they give you the most corroded guat I've ever seen. The stuff that came in loose boxes was so bad that I ended up putting some of the Grade 2 Guat I bought from AIM for .14 a round in storage and shot the corroded stuff. The boxes in the battle packs were grade 1.

I might even pick up 3-4 more battle packs...
http://www.centuryarms.biz/proddetail.asp?prod=AM1090

Enthusiast
02-28-07, 17:57
Some of the better deals I have found are at Gun Shows.

Shihan
02-28-07, 23:25
I pciked up 100 rounds of M193 at a show this weekend and today at a gunstore found the sealed top quality Lake City for 300bucks for 840rounds. Man this is expensive, but like a idiot I bought a can as well. They had 5 more cans but I had to resist.

jem375
03-01-07, 14:34
I just ordered some Georgia Arms 223 55 gr. ammo packed loose in a ammo box for $120+$17 shipping for 500 rounds....not bad, not good pricing but this is reloaded ammo not surplus....this is 223 ammo loaded to SAAMI specs..

Enthusiast
03-01-07, 15:51
Becareful with Georgia Arms Canned Heat. Some people who post on GetofftheX.com have had kabooms with it. Tactical Response in Camden, TN. no longer sells or recommends it.

jem375
03-01-07, 20:57
Becareful with Georgia Arms Canned Heat. Some people who post on GetofftheX.com have had kabooms with it. Tactical Response in Camden, TN. no longer sells or recommends it. I thought that was in Glocks that they had the trouble with a couple of Kabooms....well, will find out soon as I just ordered 500 223's from them..

USMC03
03-01-07, 21:47
Do a search in the Tactics and Training section of this board. There is a 3 or 4 page thread (with pics) of AR's that have been blown up with .223 Georgia Arms .223 Canned Heat.

Stay away from Georgia Arms Canned Heat. In fact run, run like your hair is on fire. You will thank me later.

Semper Fi
Jeff

jem375
03-02-07, 11:53
Do a search in the Tactics and Training section of this board. There is a 3 or 4 page thread (with pics) of AR's that have been blown up with .223 Georgia Arms .223 Canned Heat.

Stay away from Georgia Arms Canned Heat. In fact run, run like your hair is on fire. You will thank me later.

Semper Fi
Jeff too late, order is on the way here...will make sure to wear safety glasses when I shoot the ammo for sure........

C4IGrant
03-02-07, 12:03

Thanks

I have lake city M855 in stock if you want some.

C4

UVvis
03-02-07, 12:25
I have lake city M855 in stock if you want some.

C4

How does it come packaged?

C4IGrant
03-02-07, 12:48
How does it come packaged?

Loose.

C4

Shihan
03-02-07, 13:57
I just picked up 840 rounds of the good LC and 1000 rounds of Federal XM193. But could always use more how much?

C4IGrant
03-02-07, 15:32
I just picked up 840 rounds of the good LC and 1000 rounds of Federal XM193. But could always use more how much?

$299 per 1 thousand.

C4

SuicideHz
03-02-07, 20:41
AIM had the Radway Green for $169 per can of 720 a few weeks ago. I posted it here and noone took notice. TOS didn't even have it on their list when I looked.

Shihan
03-03-07, 01:47
I noticed but it was all gone when I tried to order.

Sniped
03-03-07, 14:45
I'll post it here because I know the ammo whores would buy it up @afr :D

Its not talked about much, but the Federal 50gHP in the 200 round value pack is very good suff. My recent batch is LC05 brass, crimped primer, canuelure pill with a big hole HP. Oddly enough I'm getting great groups with RRA Wilson barrel 1/8 SS . rated fps is 3400

Oh, the cost is 52.00 per value pack from you local shithole walmart. 260 per 1K is really good current prices for very decent ammo.

But don't tell the whore @ arf ;)

rhino
03-03-07, 20:45
I wish I'd sold my plasma or other bodily fluids to get more of the "grade 2" Guatemalan IMG M193 that www.aimsurplus.com had for a good price a few months ago. The first case of 1440 rounds was the most corroded, crusty stuff I've ever seen (worse than any of the photos published on AR15.com), but it all fed and extracted fine. I had exactly one (1) failure to fire somewhere before the 2000 round mark (a second case got mixed into my magazines during that time). Zero problems since then.

SuicideHz
03-04-07, 01:12
I won't tell them if you don't!

05 brass and big HP sounds great. 50 is light but a 1/8 shouldn't be too tight for it, should it?

Sniped
03-04-07, 19:00
I won't tell them if you don't!

05 brass and big HP sounds great. 50 is light but a 1/8 shouldn't be too tight for it, should it?

you would think its to light for 1/8 but I guess I'm lucky with my combo. I also have cloned MK262 match reloads what work really well :D

Shihan
03-04-07, 23:49
The Federal 50gr HP stuff is great, I got some at Walmart awhile back but here in AZ they havent got any more in? I shot some Remingtom UMC at the range today I got a bad batch and need to contact them tomorrow, the rounds were barely crimped and the projectile would collapse back into the case on a few rounds. I had a hell of a time getting one out of my newly returned M&PT also.

Sniped
03-06-07, 20:18
05 brass ?

correction, be sure to check the box for LC brass. I bought three and one of the boxes used FC 223 Rem brass :(

AMMOTECH
03-07-07, 06:13
Bass pro shops in Charlotte (Concord) NC had green box UMC 55gr for $4.99 a box on Sunday and with a 10% off sign above it.
I snagged a "few" boxes. :D

KiloSierra
03-07-07, 10:43
correction, be sure to check the box for LC brass. I bought three and one of the boxes used FC 223 Rem brass :(

I've bought two Federal "Value Pack" boxes and approximately the same amount of the American Eagle version. Both were mainly FC 223 brass with some LC 04, 05, and 06 cases. I'm guessing Federal's using whatever brass it has lying around to load it.

After the Federal, the best available locally is the Winchester USA 45gr JHP's in 40 round boxes and the Remington UMC 55gr FMJ. I tried the Remington 45gr JHP's but had several out of spec rounds, some extremely hard primer's on a couple of rounds, and extremely poor accuracy out of three boxes out of three different lots.

jem375
03-07-07, 11:27
I've been buying Black Hills and Ultramax 55 fmj's every week 1 or 2 boxes of 50 at a time. It's not cheap but if you buy it little at a time, it don't seem as bad as when you shell out $300 at a time...:) ...I just ordered some Georgia Arms and will try some of that this spring, this is my first order from them and am curious about it since all the kaboom talk....
What some of these dealers are charging for surplus is just plain robbery and am glad I bought a couple of thousand of XM193 when I did and then I only paid $74.95 per 500 case.....

Enthusiast
03-07-07, 15:16
I just ordered some Georgia Arms and will try some of that this spring, this is my first order from them and am curious about it since all the kaboom talk....

Remember curiosity killed the cat and it just might kill your AR as well.:D

Shihan
03-07-07, 16:51
I had a bad batch of Remington UMC 55hr this weekend. The projectiles were not properly crimped and wwould either fallout or go back into the case. It took me a half hour to get one of those suckers out of there. Im still trying to get ahold of someone at Remington but keep getting the run around.

jem375
03-07-07, 22:21
Remember curiosity killed the cat and it just might kill your AR as well.:DThere is always that possibility, but I doubt it...You take your chances with just about any ammo you buy anyway....

jem375
03-12-07, 10:10
Well, my 500 rounds of Georgia Arms came Friday, so will probably shoot some this coming week. If you don't hear from me again, I am probably in the hospital suffering from a Kaboom....:) :)

FlyAndFight
03-12-07, 13:43
I can't find the Federal 50gr HP 200 value packs anywhere down here. When I asked the lady servicing the ammo counter about it, she looked at me as if I had spoken to her in Chinese. :( I ended up picking up several boxes of 9mm WWB for my Glocks instead...

Please do share the info if anyone spots these in S. Florida. :p

Shihan
03-12-07, 16:42
I just picked up 4 cases of AE 55hr fmj for 4.99 a box and hope I can find more.

jem375
03-12-07, 21:46
That's a pretty good price for AE, not bad at all....

mtdawg169
03-13-07, 09:04
I've been buying Black Hills and Ultramax 55 fmj's every week 1 or 2 boxes of 50 at a time. It's not cheap but if you buy it little at a time, it don't seem as bad as when you shell out $300 at a time...:) ...I just ordered some Georgia Arms and will try some of that this spring, this is my first order from them and am curious about it since all the kaboom talk....
What some of these dealers are charging for surplus is just plain robbery and am glad I bought a couple of thousand of XM193 when I did and then I only paid $74.95 per 500 case.....

Why fool around with GA when you could buy HSM? They sell good "range" ammo (reloads) and I think they also sell a mil spec M193 clone with crimp. Prices are reasonable too. I haven't heard of any Kabooms with thier stuff & their customer service is pretty decent too.

PaulSantos knows more about them.

ST911
03-13-07, 19:09
Why fool around with GA when you could buy HSM?

Not much difference between them in my experience.

I haven't heard of any Kabooms with thier stuff & their customer service is pretty decent too.

There are accounts of failures posted on ARF and other sites.

Yes, there customer service is indeed good.

Snake RAH
03-13-07, 21:59
HSM blew up my friend's Bushmaster at a class we were at this past September. Once BM said it was ammo related, HSM stepped up and did the right thing.

I'm glad they did, but I still won't buy their ammo.

ISAIAH53
03-14-07, 06:26
Here in northern Illinois, I have recently picked up a bunch of Remington UMC 55-grain on sale at Farm & Fleet for 4.79 per box of 20. (Individual boxes, not in cases)

jem375
03-14-07, 11:08
I don't know guys, but I think Georgia Arms is still the best buy for 223 at $120+$17 shipping for 500 rounds. I can't find anything cheaper on the internet, everything has just gone to the moon on prices and they seem to be holding the line on prices better than anyone else...I just bought my first 500 rounds from them..

Cold Zero
03-14-07, 11:13
i would rather pay a little more for winchester white box and not have my weapon blow up in my face with the cheap stuff. it is actually cheaper in the long run when you don't have to replace your weapon.:o

FlyAndFight
03-14-07, 11:17
I agree except that I can't find WWB .223 anywhere down here... :(

By the way, I just ordered 500 rds of "Guatemalan" .223 from "Surplusammo.com" for approximately $150.00 shipped. I've read some good reviews on this ammo but would be curious to hear from my fellow m4carbine-ites. ;)

-H-
03-14-07, 15:15
Guat is good stuff. I have shot 2500 - 3000 rounds through a couple of AR's and it ran 100%. It isn't the most accurate ammo expect 2.5 MOA at best.

But again it is 5.56 spec ammo and I don't know anyone who buys 5.56 for it's accuracy. The exception being mk262 even though I've found that the .223 pressure loading is more accurate in my barrels.

It's hot loaded and clean, with the way the market is I stashed 2 crates worth. You never know when or where the next surplus source is going to come from these days. $150 is a high price for 500 but then again it's all about availability.

Cold Zero
03-14-07, 19:19
I agree except that I can't find WWB .223 anywhere down here... :(

Q3131
do like i do. when you do find it and i have even found it on sale. buy all they have, then immediately go to the nearest 2-3 stores within the same chain and buy all they have.

this approach has worked well for me and i am now sitting on quite a bit of it. if i told you what the sale price was, you would not beleive me anyway. bought late 2006.

i saw this shortage coming and 2nd quarter of 2006 i tried to buy 30,000 rds from an online distributor, he did not take even take me seriously. not only do i think this was a good idea at the right time, i wish i had made the purchase and for even more than i wanted.

rmecapn
03-14-07, 21:24
i tried to buy 30,000 rds from an online distributor

There was a time when I would have thought you were nuts. Now I'm sitting on 6k of 5.56 and wishing I had 5 times that much. If I had known then, what I know now, I would have bought as much of the Guat from Aimsurplus at 18 cents a round delivered that I could have reasonably afforded.

I have a Dillon 550, but it's such a pain in the fourth point of contact for me to reload that ammo would have to be much more to make me pull out the press.

Cold Zero
03-14-07, 21:31
there was a time, not too long ago. i would not even have thought of this , nor was there a need to make such a purchase. last summer was not that long ago.

that being said, i do not think that one need to have been pychic to see then, what the ammo availability and prices would be like now...

it sure would be nice to have now. price is one thing, availability is another.

jem375
03-15-07, 10:28
You're not kidding. I remember when I bought XM193 for $74.95 per 500 rounds and thought that was a little high...good thing I stocked up on that and some Winchester Q3131A...hopefully things will get better but I doubt it since a lot of shooters keep buying the high priced ammo and they will just keep selling it at that price until people quit buying for awhile, but I don't see that happening....the good old days, I remember buying Norinco preban 7.62x39MM steel and lead core for $79 for a 1200 round case.....

-H-
03-15-07, 13:50
Someday this war's gonna end...

http://www.informativos.telecinco.es/imgsed/kilgore_150.jpg

If you have a resonable stash I'd advise buying a reloading press and saving your money. Eventually in 5-10 years , hell maybe 20, the Middle East will cool down and there is going to be a shit load of ammo sitting in warehouses overseas that will eventually trickle into cirrculation. I look forward to the day we'll be buying Iraqi surplus 5.56 and 7.62 made in Iraq with American machines.

jem375
03-15-07, 14:52
Someday this war's gonna end...

http://www.informativos.telecinco.es/imgsed/kilgore_150.jpg

If you have a resonable stash I'd advise buying a reloading press and saving your money. Eventually in 5-10 years , hell maybe 20, the Middle East will cool down and there is going to be a shit load of ammo sitting in warehouses overseas that will eventually trickle into cirrculation. I look forward to the day we'll be buying Iraqi surplus 5.56 and 7.62 made in Iraq with American machines. you're right about the reloading press..I bought 2000 primed cases from RVOV when they were selling brass and haven't started loading them yet due to so much other 223/5.56 ammo I have..I only have a RCBS Rock Chucker for rifle ammo reloading, so it will take a while to load them all, so will probably just load 100 at a time when is raining or snowing until I get them all done........I have 3 Dillon Square Deals for pistol reloading so that is no problem, may have to take a look at that Dillon 550 one of these days...........

Cold Zero
03-15-07, 17:18
the reloading press sounds like a good idea for those inclined. i went to the store today for ammo, call me paranoid, they had no .556, .223, 9mm or .45 target ammo.:eek: they did tell me there was a shortage.

Snake RAH
03-15-07, 18:36
Q3131
do like i do. when you do find it and i have even found it on sale. buy all they have, then immediately go to the nearest 2-3 stores within the same chain and buy all they have.

this approach has worked well for me and i am now sitting on quite a bit of it. if i told you what the sale price was, you would not beleive me anyway. bought late 2006.

i saw this shortage coming and 2nd quarter of 2006 i tried to buy 30,000 rds from an online distributor, he did not take even take me seriously. not only do i think this was a good idea at the right time, i wish i had made the purchase and for even more than i wanted.

While I understand folks who do stockpile, as the early bird gets the worm, there are others of us who have classes to attend and can't find any ammo to shoot with. Or if I can find some, I pay out the butt for it.

Folks in my AO have already hit up all the cheap sources, and keep the shelves empty. I've had to go online to get ass-raped on ammo, and still don't have enough for the class.

The only American Eagle 55gr in town is $8.59 a box of 20. Ammo is costing me more than tuition ($400), gas ($65), food ($40), and hotel ($200) combined.

Cold Zero
03-15-07, 19:05
jem375

you are right, the war will end one day. the problem is by the time that happens i will be 60 and no longer interested in training seriously.

snake, i too am concerned about having the ammo available to go and train. i must admit that paying almost $9 a box would take the fun out of it for me. i have suggested what i could to try to help guys save money on ammo. for what good it might do.

all i could say is, if i had made that big purchase last year, i would now be in a position to help a fellow member such as yourself out with 1-2 cases when you needed it, no profit of course. it was a good idea, just did not happen due to that size quantity being unavailable.:eek:

jem375
03-15-07, 23:36
While I understand folks who do stockpile, as the early bird gets the worm, there are others of us who have classes to attend and can't find any ammo to shoot with. Or if I can find some, I pay out the butt for it.

Folks in my AO have already hit up all the cheap sources, and keep the shelves empty. I've had to go online to get ass-raped on ammo, and still don't have enough for the class.

The only American Eagle 55gr in town is $8.59 a box of 20. Ammo is costing me more than tuition ($400), gas ($65), food ($40), and hotel ($200) combined. too expensive for me ....

ISAIAH53
03-16-07, 07:45
jem375

you are right, the war will end one day. the problem is by the time that happens i will be 60 and no longer interested in training seriously.

Don't sell yourself short. I took my first class 5 1/2 years ago, when I was 49. My instructor (retired SEAL) was 61. Prior to that, opportunities for me to take classes were extremely limited. I hope to keep going well beyond 60.

Lumpy196
03-16-07, 10:28
Any opinions on Sellier and Bellot's 55gr FMJ load?

I may have a chance to score a decent quantity locally for a reasonable price.

jem375
03-16-07, 10:39

I may have a chance to score a decent quantity locally for a reasonable price. the only S&B I have shot has been 45ACP and 9x18 for the Mak...seems to shoot just fine...

Cold Zero
03-16-07, 10:47
jem and isiah;

thanks for the encouragement. i am just trying to be realistic. i expect to be retired before 60, so i will have the time. it will depend on physically what kind of shape i am in at that time. i do see this war going on for a long, long time. i enjoy the training, so if i am able, i would like to continue.

as for the s and b ammo. i used about 2,000 rds of the 55 gr. f.m.j. and found that the groups were big with it at 100 yds and other than that i had no issues with it. i discontinued it's use due to folks more knowlegable than i recomending that i do so. i have been using winchester white box ever since and never had a problem.

Harv
03-16-07, 17:50
Lumpy 196

2 years ago in a class, there was a father/son team that was shooting it and they had a few issues of unknown origin. I borrowed them some mags to use and they gave them back loaded up with S&B.

I shot those mags (about 90 rds) and had no issues what so ever.

I have also shot 9MM S & B by the case and never had issues.

If I could get a good deal on it, I don't think I would have any problems shooting S & B)

To be completely honest..with the prices they way they are, and my past experiences.. there is not much out there I would not shoot (To include Georgia Ammo Canned Heat).

Say what you will.. but the odds are in my favor....
besides.. having a gun blow up provides an excellent " no shit..there I was"war story and I always protect my eyes...:cool:

Cold Zero
03-16-07, 17:58
If I could get a good deal on it, I don't think I would have any problems shooting S & B)

To be completely honest..with the prices they way they are, and my past experiences.. there is not much out there I would not shoot (To include Georgia Ammo Canned Heat).

Harv;

now that is a dose of serious honesty.:eek:

i too had no serious issues with it, other than i found it to group bigger than some other brands i have tried. so basically, my gun did not like it. it did always go bang. i have read a lot of guys feel it is crappy ammo.

i pay the extra and use w.w., as long as i can get it. i do the best i can on the price.