PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one that does not like to shoot poly framed handguns?

Avenger29
09-23-09, 20:47
Just wondering. I dislike shooting poly framed handguns. It's not that I distrust them (Lord knows they've proven exceptionally durable and are light and easy to carry).

I just don't like shooting them. For some reason, I can feel a reverberation that is transmitted through the frame. In some cases, firing them is downright painful for me.

The three most recent poly frame pistols I've had the (dis)pleasure of shooting are the Glock 17, S&W M&P 9mm Compact, and one of the Kahr 9mms. I just did not like shooting any of them. I shot them all using proper (although more than likely not perfect) technique/grip.

Anybody else this way? Should I try a different caliber?

(Or I may just be pretty f***ed up on my own...I even prefer revolvers to autos:D)

bkb0000
09-23-09, 20:54
if you prefer revolvers to autos, for some odd reason, its no surprise you don't like to shoot poly guns. the highest bore axis you're gonna get are revolvers, the lowest are poly guns... totally different beasts.

i suspect you're allowing biases influence your opinion... perhaps you should try some self-evaluations in the form of competition or professional training. nothing shows you what is and isn't G2G like a high intensity match or class.

09-23-09, 20:54
Give the full size M&P's a shot (no pun intended. :p ). I found the M&P 40 to be the softest shooting 40 there is among the poly framed handguns. I'm pretty sure the M&P9 FS will be super soft. Have you fired a full size XD?

Avenger29
09-23-09, 21:17
Give the full size M&P's a shot (no pun intended. :p ). I found the M&P 40 to be the softest shooting 40 there is among the poly framed handguns. I'm pretty sure the M&P9 FS will be super soft. Have you fired a full size XD?

M&P- I'm trying to get a chance to shoot a 9mm FS M&P. No rental ranges in my area. I have heard that they are some of the softer shooting poly guns.

I haven't tried the XD, but I have a friend that has a .45 version...now, if I could find a box of .45ACP to try it out with...

you should try some self-evaluations in the form of competition or professional training. nothing shows you what is and isn't G2G like a high intensity match or class.

Unfortunatly, I am not able to attend matches (none around here + no time) and the only opportunity I'm going to have to take some time off for training would likely be next year sometime- I'm balls to the wall with studying and work right now. It is a priority, though, to get some good training in as soon as I am able.

09-23-09, 21:35
Sounds like you simply have a preference. Considering the G17 is so widely used by some serious scalp takers, I'm inclined to give the G17(19's), and the HK's, and the M&P's, respect. If you aren't comfortable with them, you're not comfortable with them. Love my HK USP .45 & USP Compact, looking to buy a G17. But, what feels great to me may not feel great to you. All I can say is give them a serious trial run with multiple sessions.

Avenger29
09-23-09, 21:42
Sounds like you simply have a preference. Considering the G17 is so widely used by some serious scalp takers, I'm inclined to give the G17(19's), and the HK's, and the M&P's, respect. If you aren't comfortable with them, you're not comfortable with them. Love my HK USP .45 & USP Compact, looking to buy a G17. But, what feels great to me may not feel great to you. All I can say is give them a serious trial run with multiple sessions.

The G17 is definitley out of the picture for me. Good gun on it's own, and many like/love it, it and me just don't get along, at all. The Glock grip feels awkward and blocky in my hand.

The HK pistols are something else I'm looking to try...

.357sigger
09-23-09, 21:53
I would say that I dont love the 17/22 full size frame...until you draw it from a holster. I used to be a die hard SIG guy. I despised glocks when I first started shooting but the more I shot them, the more I liked them. I find that the 19/23 glocks fit my hand like a glove and I will never sell my 19...ever! I would say give the previously mentioned guns (glock, m&p,etc.) in additional sizes/frames a try before you write polymer guns off completely. :D

LockenLoad
09-23-09, 22:12
nothing wrong with liking revolvers, I am dead on with even my snub nose revolver, OK with my HK45c it's my first poly gun and yea I don't like that I don't shoot it as well, my gun instructor goes let me see that thing, pops 3 bullets in and made 1/2 inch group at 15 yards, goes nope gun is fine it's you. I vow to tame this beast and improve my skills, maybe you just don't like the feel of poly.

slowjon
09-23-09, 22:34
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I have had a Glock 21, a HK USP45, and a Springer XD45. Sold two of them, still have the XD for bedside duty. Have shot the M&P and the Kahrs also. I just can't get excited about any of them. I shoot them okay, but not nearly as well as a 1911.

The plastic guns just don't inspire me.

MarshallDodge
09-23-09, 23:02
I can see where you are coming from Avenger.

Glocks are funky to me as well. I have not owned one because of the the way the recoil feels and the stock trigger makes my finger hurt after a mag or two. HK USP was similar. I had an XDsc and it was alright. The Kahr CW9 that I shot was comfortable.

A lot of my dislike for the polymer guns changed when I picked up a M&P 40 recently. I am really liking this gun. It's accurate, comfortable, and I don't get the flexing feeling when I shoot it.

I am not a revolver fan but I have seen guys that can run the pants off of them so it can be a platform that you could definitely learn.

I still like a 1911 the best. Yep, I'm still clinging. :D

Paul45
09-23-09, 23:04
I LOVE my 1911's, my Revolvers and my HP's. I clean, hold them, look at them and lust over them! But I shoot the G17 better than any of my 70+ other handguns. But I carry a 1911 or g30. Why because I like them!

Avenger29
09-23-09, 23:18
I can see where you are coming from Avenger.

Glocks are funky to me as well. I have not owned one because of the the way the recoil feels and the stock trigger makes my finger hurt after a mag or two. HK USP was similar. I had an XDsc and it was alright. The Kahr CW9 that I shot was comfortable.

A lot of my dislike for the polymer guns changed when I picked up a M&P 40 recently. I am really liking this gun. It's accurate, comfortable, and I don't get the flexing feeling when I shoot it.

I am not a revolver fan but I have seen guys that can run the pants off of them so it can be a platform that you could definitely learn.

I still like a 1911 the best. Yep, I'm still clinging.

1911- yeah, I like a 1911 too. But the reliability issues that many see worries me. A lot. What about the S&W 1911s (the plainer ones)?

I'm definitely going to take a serious look and evaluation of the S&W M&P (but most likely in 9mm).

MarshallDodge
09-23-09, 23:41
I still cling to the 1911 because I don't see the issues but I am pretty good about maintaining them and run good stuff from Baer and Dan Wesson. I have a pre-series II Kimber that has treated me very well. Good magazines with good springs are critical.

The newer polymer guns have improved extractors and the way they are setup don't require the maintenance, especially with the cleaner and softer shooting 9mm.

On edit: I went with 40 for a couple reasons, the main one being that I pin shoot and 9mm will not take them down like a 40.

Shadow1198
09-23-09, 23:49
Just wondering. I dislike shooting poly framed handguns. It's not that I distrust them (Lord knows they've proven exceptionally durable and are light and easy to carry).

I just don't like shooting them. For some reason, I can feel a reverberation that is transmitted through the frame. In some cases, firing them is downright painful for me.

The three most recent poly frame pistols I've had the (dis)pleasure of shooting are the Glock 17, S&W M&P 9mm Compact, and one of the Kahr 9mms. I just did not like shooting any of them. I shot them all using proper (although more than likely not perfect) technique/grip.

Anybody else this way? Should I try a different caliber?

(Or I may just be pretty f***ed up on my own...I even prefer revolvers to autos:D)

Yes, you are the only one. ;)

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-24-09, 15:24
You know what you like and you know what works for you nothing wrong with that at all. Personally I love my plastic wonder 9's but there are plenty of non polymer pistols out there that work great and would serve you well, especially if you are more comfortable shooting it. As long as you can find something that you are comfortable with that is reliable I wouldn't worry about shooting the latest and greatest polymer framed guns.

Unless you are "issued" a pistol and "need to" become proficient with it I would not fight your body's natural mechanics and personal preferences. So you like shooting non polymer framed guns...no sweat, Sig, Beretta, S&W's, HK, etc all make something that suits your preferences.

My take on this is that if you are forced into a gun fight you should be fighting the enemy not your gear so choose what works for you, especially if you have the freedom to (agency / dep policies) etc. If you shoot exponentially better with a revolver and are a private citizen living a primarily low risk life I don't think there is anything "wrong" with carrying a wheel gun, especially if that is the gun that you practice most with and gives that extra little bit of confidence in the face of adversity (I'll take as much of that as I can get ;)).

Don't feel like you "need" to jump on the polymer wonder band wagon. Pick your pistol poison then shoot the piss out of it :D

Stay safe,
GU

Avenger29
09-24-09, 15:59
You know what you like and you know what works for you nothing wrong with that at all. Personally I love my plastic wonder 9's but there are plenty of non polymer pistols out there that work great and would serve you well, especially if you are more comfortable shooting it. As long as you can find something that you are comfortable with that is reliable I wouldn't worry about shooting the latest and greatest polymer framed guns.

Unless you are "issued" a pistol and "need to" become proficient with it I would not fight your body's natural mechanics and personal preferences. So you like shooting non polymer framed guns...no sweat, Sig, Beretta, S&W's, HK, etc all make something that suits your preferences.

My take on this is that if you are forced into a gun fight you should be fighting the enemy not your gear so choose what works for you, especially if you have the freedom to (agency / dep policies) etc. If you shoot exponentially better with a revolver and are a private citizen living a primarily low risk life I don't think there is anything "wrong" with carrying a wheel gun, especially if that is the gun that you practice most with and gives that extra little bit of confidence in the face of adversity (I'll take as much of that as I can get ;)).

Don't feel like you "need" to jump on the polymer wonder band wagon. Pick your pistol poison then shoot the piss out of it :D

Stay safe,
GU

That's pretty much my thought. One of my problems, however, is budget limitation. The poly pistols (with, somewhat, the exception of HK) are pretty much more in line with my budget than metal frame pistols, although I will spend a little more for a metal framed pistol.

I'm giving SIG a good lookover now. Are there any sites selling SIG CPO pistols? New SIGs are a bit rich for my blood and I worry about their QC these days. (it would have been nice to have turned 21 a few years ago and gotten choice pick on the CPO and police refurbs)

Are there any pistols I'm overlooking as far as metal frame pistols go?

My previous plan was to buy a Ruger SP-101, but I'd like to go with a semi-auto. A 1911 feels excellent in my hands (like for everybody else) but I'm not quite ready to jump on the .45ACP bandwagon and it's associated costs of ammunition (and scaricity, now), nor can I really shell out the bucks for a quality 1911 (for that price, I could get a SIG and sleep easier)

RogerinTPA
09-24-09, 16:41
Apparently, you are the ONLY ONE!:p

Seems like you are like some folks who are stuck in their ways, and snarl at any weapon not steel and wood, just like my father. He was a 1911 guy to the grave, but after spending an afternoon with me with all my plastic fantastics, including my AR, he relented and actually enjoyed shooting them, but wouldn't trade his 1911, or other weapons, for anything. I had an old S&W 6906 that I had for years and shot very well, but finally gave it to a female friend as a gift, then went all out for the M&P line. If going that route, go for the Full Sized models. Nothing wrong sticking with metal framed pistols/revolvers, as long as it's reliable and your proficient with it, in the end, who gives a rat's ass.;)

Business_Casual
09-24-09, 17:10
in the end, who gives a rat's ass.;)

More to the point, why start a drama thread about how you can't shoot a polymer pistol.

M_P

FF750
09-25-09, 13:58
Are there any pistols I'm overlooking as far as metal frame pistols go?

Have you looked at CZ-derivatives?

I LOVE my polymer pistols - M&P40, XDm40, P99 9mm - and plan on adding more but I won't lie and deny that the gun I'm most accurate with is my all-steel Jericho 941 9mm - been very reliable to boot. At about 600 bucks new I think it's a great deal for a metal-frame pistol. CZ USA's prices are in that range too for their all-steel guns. If you really must have a steel-frame pistol then I think you should give them a look.

Avenger29
09-25-09, 17:44
Yes, I have given the CZs a look. In fact, went to the gunstore today to buy a used one, but it was gone.

So I got an FN Hi Power instead.

Alpha Sierra
09-25-09, 21:35
if you prefer revolvers to autos, for some odd reason, its no surprise you don't like to shoot poly guns. the highest bore axis you're gonna get are revolvers, the lowest are poly guns... totally different beasts.
That is not correct. A properly gripped S&W K frame has a bore axis as low as a semi auto M&P and fits significantly more naturally in the hand.

I own and shoot both regularly, and there is no comparison between the two. Everyone loves to rave about the semi M&P's ergonomics. But shoot a 4" heavy barrel round butt K frame with grips that truly fit YOU and you will realize that semi auto handguns have a long way to go to match the ergos of a pistol design from 1896.

Problem is, shooting a revolver as a fighting weapon is quickly becoming a lost art.

Littlelebowski
09-25-09, 21:46
Does ergos not entail the concept known as "reloading" in your book, Alpha Sierra?

Avenger29
09-25-09, 22:27
Does ergos not entail the concept known as "reloading" in your book, Alpha Sierra?

That's my main issue with the revolver. Slow to reload, and a bit cumbersome...

Sure, Jerry Miculek and a few other superhuman freaks can do it really quickly. I can't. And those 6 rounds run out real quick, I've noticed...too quick for my tastes. Even the lower cap of the 9mm doublestacks hold 12 or 13 rounds (like the S&W M&P Compact), double the count in the cylinder of a revolver.

Anyway, now I've got a Hi Power to play with...still have to shoot it a good bit for a reliability check and get holsters and mags for it.

Is changing the Hi Power safety a job any halfway worthwhile gunsmith could do or is it strictly for the professionals (i.e., Cylinder and Slide)? I need an extended safety and slide release- the stock ones are too low profile (especially the safety).

LockenLoad
09-26-09, 06:40

that might matter to him in 3 gun comp. but in a HD, SD scenario, 5 shots should be plenty, and if he is more comfortable with the revolver at the moment, that's why I would carry your revolver, our a non poly gun until you are comfortable with something else if you feel you need a hollywood shootout round count type gun

Business_Casual
09-26-09, 07:58
in a HD, SD scenario, 5 shots should be plenty,

Come on, man. Seriously you can predict that 5 rounds is plenty? :confused:

Seriously, handgun technology didn't stop in 1873.

M_P

ggt1_02
09-26-09, 17:57
I hated poly pistols for the longest time. Swore up and down how great 1911's were. Then I shot an XD in 9mm, and thought ok there may be some promise here, and finally I found my full size M&P in 9mm. My 1911 is now the a safe queen. Maybe I will sell her some day.

JohnN
09-26-09, 18:16
that might matter to him in 3 gun comp. but in a HD, SD scenario, 5 shots should be plenty, and if he is more comfortable with the revolver at the moment, that's why I would carry your revolver, our a non poly gun until you are comfortable with something else if you feel you need a hollywood shootout round count type gun

Should be enough?? you generally get only one chance.

LockenLoad
09-26-09, 18:42
Come on, man. Seriously you can predict that 5 rounds is plenty? :confused:

Seriously, handgun technology didn't stop in 1873.

M_P

no can't predict, but things should be sorted out with five our 6 rounds, he could get a 8 round revolver, but unless it's a SHTF senario 5 our 6 should do, that's why for a carry gun he should be comfotable with it, and of course MP JMHO, I carry 10 with my hk, and five in my j-frame

bkb0000
09-26-09, 19:15
you can hope to fire 0, but i'm bringing 34, minimum. more in the truck.

JHC
09-26-09, 19:37
If I may paraphrase Matt, "5 or 6 will probably be enough . . . except for when it isn't."

09-26-09, 19:46
5 or 6 rounds enough....Read some AAR's. I guess our Mil guys use pistols with much larger capability just to spend taxpayer $$$. Oh yeah, LE uses 5-6 shot pistols.:rolleyes:

Alpha Sierra
09-26-09, 21:24
5 or 6 rounds enough....Read some AAR's. I guess our Mil guys use pistols with much larger capability just to spend taxpayer $$$. Oh yeah, LE uses 5-6 shot pistols.:rolleyes:

Their mission profiles are VASTLY different than mine.

And in case you forgot, peace officers in this country got the job done with six guns for decades.

Alpha Sierra
09-26-09, 21:29
Those who think revolver reloads are slow usually are those who never have put them time in to master them.

Does it take more effort? Yes. Can the gap be closed? Yes, to a degree that those who are not hardcore revolver shooters do not think is possible.

And no, one does not need to be Jerry Miculek to be effective.

bkb0000
09-26-09, 21:29
Their mission profiles are VASTLY different than mine.

And in case you forgot, peace officers in this country got the job done with six guns for decades.

they were up against 6 shooters then, too.. when was the last time you saw a homie packin a K frame?

nowadays, most cops wouldn't get into the cruiser without a "hi-cap" auto and a carbine/SMG. the 6 gun died with the birth of gangster rap. it'd been o its way out anyway already.

gringop
09-26-09, 22:15
Those who think revolver reloads are slow usually are those who never have put them time in to master them.

Does it take more effort? Yes. Can the gap be closed? Yes, to a degree that those who are not hardcore revolver shooters do not think is possible.

And no, one does not need to be Jerry Miculek to be effective.

I can do shot to shot slide-lock reloads hitting an 8" target at 7 yards with times ranging from 2.28 to 3.25. This is with a stock G19 and reloading from concealment.

I'm a fat old man who dryfires occasionally and is classified Expert in IDPA.

If you can show me a K frame shooter who can match those reload times with concealed carry equipment, I would surely like to see it.

I have a SW 625, Model 19, 642, 640, and a 25-5. They are great guns for what they are.

What they are not are speedy reloaders and the first choice for concealed carry self-defense guns.

Please tell (and show) us what the shot to shot reload time for hardcore K-frame revolver shooters is.

Gringop

Alpha Sierra
09-26-09, 22:22
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYvFii5ybk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmhmReBCyq4&feature=related

Looks like 3 seconds

bkb0000
09-26-09, 22:28
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxYvFii5ybk

Looks like 3 seconds

he fired 12 rounds during that course of fire... i still would have had 6 rounds left in my first magazine. reload as fast as you want, you can't reload faster than someone can pull a trigger.

i know you're kind of getting ganged up on, and i know that revolvers can be speedy and effecient- but never as speedy or efficient as pistols.. i think once you admit that, people will stop this gay wheel/auto debate.

Alpha Sierra
09-26-09, 22:38
he fired 12 rounds during that course of fire... i still would have had 6 rounds left in my first magazine. reload as fast as you want, you can't reload faster than someone can pull a trigger.

i know you're kind of getting ganged up on, and i know that revolvers can be speedy and effecient- but never as speedy or efficient as pistols.. i think once you admit that, people will stop this gay wheel/auto debate.

I don't have to admit or debate anything. It isn't a contest to me. I carry what I want without a second thought about others' opinions of it.

kmrtnsn
09-26-09, 22:42
"you can hope to fire 0, but i'm bringing 34, minimum. more in the truck."

Amen, brother. Even wearing shorts and a t-shirt I have 10 rounds of 155 gr. .40 hollow points with 9 more in a spare mag in the pocket (It is a tiny gun). God help them if I have to go back to the car for more.

bkb0000
09-26-09, 23:14
I don't have to admit or debate anything. It isn't a contest to me. I carry what I want without a second thought about others' opinions of it.

i'm just really surprised you cant concede that an auto is tactically superior to a revolver.. reminds me of guys at the knife/sword table at the gun show that somehow think carrying throwing knives and stars and ****in nunchuks and shit is just as good or better than a gun...

:p

but i'll agree to disagree.

Deaj
09-27-09, 01:57
I don't find it painful or uncomfortable to shoot polymer guns and I shoot well with the Glocks and XDs. I have yet to find a trigger I like in a polymer frame though. I carry a KelTec PF-9 concealed whenever I leave the house. I shoot well with it, it's been 100% reliable, and it's a joy to carry due to its size and weight. As with the other polymer guns I've shot or handled I don't like its trigger. I don't consider it important that I like the trigger in a carry weapon. I only need to be able shoot well with it. I train with the PF-9 but its not a pistol I enjoy shooting.

I'm trying to get over this general dislike for the triggers in the polymer guns as I find much to like about them otherwise. I've been shopping for a high capacity 9mm polymer pistol that I can to enjoy shooting with but I haven't come to a decision yet. I'd rather be punching paper with my S&W 4506 than a polymer gun but I'm not going to get over the trigger thing until I pick one and start shooting with it regularly. I think I'm down to either a SA XDm9 or a full size S&W M&P9 - I likee the ergos for both with a slight preference for the M&P. Dry firing I percieve XDm's trigger would be easier to grow accustom to. I've shot an XD but haven't shot a M&P yet. I'd like to rent a M&P before making a decision.

RogerinTPA
09-27-09, 07:36
If I may paraphrase Matt, "5 or 6 will probably be enough . . . except for when it isn't."

If it ain't enough, I highly suggest folks head back to the range. How many times have LEOs been in gun fights where several officers fire 100s of rounds at the BG, that eventually only gets hit with a few? Only hits count.

Business_Casual
09-27-09, 09:48
It is a mistake to carry a less capable firearm out of some macho mindset that a real man/shooter/warrior can "get it done" with 5 or 6 rounds. Seriously, that is counter-productive.

M_P

RogerinTPA
09-27-09, 10:56
If that was directed at me, there was no "macho" involved, only practicality, as far as effective fire is concerned. You fight with what you have access to. It is also a mistake to assume that if you cannot hit what you're aiming at, regardless of the weapon or mag cap, that you will successfully survive the encounter. Everyone who owns a firearm knows, or should know, the limitations of that weapon, and their skill to employ that weapon effectively. If that ability escapes the individual shooter, then more training is required until one can. Every one of my weapons have a cap of 10 rounds or higher, but better to be armed with a less capable weapon that you have access to and can shoot effectively, than to be uparmed and can't. Is 5 or 6 round enough? Hardly, but if that's all you got, better make em count.

JHC
09-27-09, 11:00
I'm tracking. Sometimes a 5 shot is all I make do with in NPEs. But "except when it isn't" doesn't necessarily mean misses but maybe multiple opponents who don't all fall to a single hit.

John_Wayne777
09-27-09, 11:04
If it ain't enough, I highly suggest folks head back to the range. How many times have LEOs been in gun fights where several officers fire 100s of rounds at the BG, that eventually only gets hit with a few? Only hits count.

That's true...but it's also true that accuracy under gunfight conditions isn't exactly an easy thing to accomplish, especially with a handgun.

I carry a revolver every day...but it's a J frame packed mainly as a BUG because of the blend of power, size, and reliability that make it ideally suited for deployment in that role. Personally, I only carry a standard sized revolver when I'm in the woods hunting, generally a S&W 629 loaded with the biggest bullet I can get. (270 grain JSP Gold Dots right now) It's mainly for use as a weapon of last resort against bears or lions, or against a deer if one gives me a good enough shot at close range.

For everyday carry I wouldn't select a revolver as my primary. If, however, I had been carrying a revolver in that role for a long time and had built up a lot of muscle memory that made me very accurate and efficient with that platform, it might be a different story. Capacity is a great asset, but it's not the most important consideration in selecting a handgun for serious social purposes, in my view.

RogerinTPA
09-27-09, 11:10
That's true...but it's also true that accuracy under gunfight conditions isn't exactly an easy thing to accomplish, especially with a handgun. (Snip)

Agreed. Depending on the individual (Level of training and actual exposure to gun fights), your one way range accuracy will diminish considerably under the stress of a two way range encounter.

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-27-09, 23:11
It is a mistake to carry a less capable firearm out of some macho mindset that a real man/shooter/warrior can "get it done" with 5 or 6 rounds. Seriously, that is counter-productive.

M_P

I agree with your rational, don't choose the less efficient or capable firearm because of a desire to adhere to an excessively exaggerated idea of "manliness". But, If the reason for carrying a revolver comes from a more pragmatic or functional reason there is definitely room in the tool box for a wheel gun. I certainly agree more is better but for many situations (not all) 5 or 6 can be enough, especially if the shooter is up to the task.

If your sending all of your rounds into the dirt because of a flinch, trigger, grip, etc issues that you are having with a semi / polymer pistol, but you are able to shoot a wheel gun putting all your rounds where you went them to go in an efficient manner then yeah...the wheel gun may be for you. I don't fall into this category, but I could certainly see how someone would.

Most all of the above mentioned "software / user" issues above could be fixed or corrected with training and time, but normal citizens may be unable or unwilling to invest in one or both, so indeed a revolver may suit them. I caveat this ramble with the following...if any facet of your life leads you into harms way you definitely need to invest your time, training and resources towards making sure you stack the deck in your favor as much as possible. That means carrying the most effective and potent weapon you can, cheating, and not fighting "fair".

GU

LockenLoad
09-28-09, 04:59
I can do shot to shot slide-lock reloads hitting an 8" target at 7 yards with times ranging from 2.28 to 3.25. This is with a stock G19 and reloading from concealment.

I'm a fat old man who dryfires occasionally and is classified Expert in IDPA.

If you can show me a K frame shooter who can match those reload times with concealed carry equipment, I would surely like to see it.

I have a SW 625, Model 19, 642, 640, and a 25-5. They are great guns for what they are.

What they are not are speedy reloaders and the first choice for concealed carry self-defense guns.

Please tell (and show) us what the shot to shot reload time for hardcore K-frame revolver shooters is.

Gringop

targets don't shoot back( targets don't get the drop on you either), you obviously have good handling skills with that weapon, but if the op is more comfortable with a revolver accuracy, quick deployment of it, you still think he should go with the high round count gun, more rounds would only be better if he is accurate with them, It is really immaterial here which is better it's back to what works for the shooter KISS, if he gets better with the polymer gun than carry it, I never really saw the op saying one was better than the other, just at this point he feels more comfortable with a revolver, I read an article were a cop took out 3 robbers, with 3 head shots from his revolver, they had tec 9's and fired 30 plus rounds at him, wish I could find the link.

LockenLoad
09-28-09, 05:12

M_P

who said that no one, being a little provocative yourself, shoot and carry what you think can be useful too yourself, I did not see the op, saying macho, real man, warrior bs, just that he did not like the feel of polymer guns, and into the mud we go because someone has adifferent opinion

Business_Casual
09-28-09, 08:06
who said that no one, being a little provocative yourself, shoot and carry what you think can be useful too yourself, I did not see the op, saying macho, real man, warrior bs, just that he did not like the feel of polymer guns, and into the mud we go because someone has adifferent opinion

Fair enough.

M_P

John_Wayne777
09-28-09, 08:21
Gents: Let's keep it civil, please.