PDA

View Full Version : Finally completed my handgun consolidation effort.

87GN
09-24-09, 00:01
At one point I had around 25 centerfire handguns. Hard to actually use that many, and with no job for quite some time, I looked for a place to trim the fat...

I now consider myself "consolidated" with only 6.

I have 2 1911s, 2 9mm Glocks, a S&W 442 and a Beretta 92FS.

I sold, traded, and/or gave away everything else. Some I have small tingles of regret about selling/trading, but I really had no use for them.

It feels good, now, to have only what I really need. I know I should get down to fewer, or just one platform, but I can't get rid of my 1911s and just keep coming back to Glocks. The 442 is always with me, mostly as a BUG, and the Beretta is around on the 3% chance that I get called up and need to re-familiarize myself with that platform.

So...there's my story, if anyone cares. :D

sff70
09-24-09, 01:09
Same thing here.

I used to have many, many different handguns.

When I started actually shooting them, I figured out what worked for me, and stopped simply collecting.

I purged everything except:

1911s
Glock 9mms
J frame

Honu
09-24-09, 01:44
had a thread a while back kinda like this about consolidating
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=24740

as I get new guns I try to think if I want them or need them or where they fit in etc..

my only regrets are selling my ruger redhawk and my old ruger army and a high standard military trophy I had :)

so there is the problem I want to consolidate but miss those guns and would like to replace them which gets me back to having to many toys :)

Jay Cunningham
09-24-09, 02:15
I have two Glock 19s.

:D

tpd223
09-24-09, 02:48
My serious carry battery is all Glock 9mms of one size or another, and S&W J frames.

I'm pretty much covered for what I need.

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-24-09, 15:04
At one point I had around 25 centerfire handguns. Hard to actually use that many, and with no job for quite some time, I looked for a place to trim the fat...

I sold, traded, and/or gave away everything else. Some I have small tingles of regret about selling/trading, but I really had no use for them.

It feels good, now, to have only what I really need. I know I should get down to fewer, or just one platform, but I can't get rid of my 1911s and just keep coming back to Glocks. The 442 is always with me, mostly as a BUG, and the Beretta is around on the 3% chance that I get called up and need to re-familiarize myself with that platform.

I feel you buddy, I did the same thing, though I didn't start with as "many" =) good judgement call though IMHO.

Our pistol collections are pretty similar except I have 3 (9mm) glocks and 1 1911. on the plus side I've found my shooting has really improved as I practice a lot on the glock platform.

BTW, I keep my beretta for the same reason as well :D

Stay safe
GU

civilian
09-25-09, 14:14
Guns are tools to me - I collect as many as I can even if I don't have time to use them all. If I buy it, it's bought to keep unless it does something that convinces me it should be ditched. I don't consolidate a collection....I enlarge it!

Littlelebowski
09-25-09, 14:28
Are you guys not counting .22s?

TehLlama
09-25-09, 14:32
That's extremely impressive that you were able to part with that many. At least you kept the 1911's and 442.

RyanS
09-25-09, 16:54
Are you guys not counting .22s?

I agree. No collection, armory, battery, or whatever the accepted parlance is these days is complete without at least one or two .22s.

trio
09-26-09, 23:30
My serious carry battery is all Glock 9mms of one size or another, and S&W J frames.

I'm pretty much covered for what I need.

you clearly a gentleman and an accomplished scholar....

(i now own 8 handguns....3 G17s, 1 G19, 1 G26, 1 G34, and a S&W 442 and 638) :D

kihnspiracy
09-28-09, 05:37
Same here. 3 1911's in 45acp. 3 Glock 17's. Got rid of everything else for carry pistols.

ra2bach
09-28-09, 10:53

I like it. I too had a bakers dozen of different handgun calibers and actions and they each have their intended purpose.

when I go bumming around in the woods, I've a got a .357Magnum revolver on my hip - loaded with snake shot when I go fishing, or cheap .38SPL wadcutter reloads for some plinkin'. I've taken three whitetails with it using full house magnum loads and even a couple of annoying crows who just wouldn't leave me in peace. but I wouldn't even consider it the best choice for a defensive handgun.

I still luvs me some 1911 for setting up the 25 yard target and enjoying some personal time with just me, my gun, and a lunch box full of 200gr. lead SWC. it's a fine piece and serious folks have been using it for a defensive handgun for a long time but I just don't feel comfortable having a manual safety between me and bang when I might need it most.

and I've got a couple striker fired pistols in 9MM that I think are the best thing since sliced bread for gun games. these games are intended to mimic defensive situations but they are not. there are many folks who consider this type of pistol the Sine qua non of fighting handguns but I'm just not comfortable living with a 5lb. single action sans manual safety, day in/day out. I've seen/heard of too many "experts" who end up shooting themselves to be think it'll never happen to me.

but with all that, I've come to the conclusion that while it's nice to have what we like, it's important to become proficient with what we choose as our primary defensive handgun. for me, that's become the Traditional Double Action, or DA/SA auto pistol. I like SIGS.

I have a P226 with 20 round mags, night sights, and a light on the rail in 9MM for basic home defense and I carry a P229 with night sights and no rail in 357SIG when I leave the house. it's my buddy, it's my friend. I feel more affinity for that gun than any other I've ever owned. I don't see that changing.

since I'm left handed, I've considered flirting with the HK P30 the Todd Greene is testing now because it's ambidextrous. I like that. but that's not gonna happen any time soon. not unless I win the lottery, or I get divorced, or something....

I may lose the striker fired pistols and just compete with 1911s. or I may do it the other way around, time will tell. in any case, I'm in no hurry.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of my lone revolver. it's not costing me anything and I like having it around.

so I guess I could say I'd be satisfied with just 7 pistols. if I had to, that is...

Savior 6
09-28-09, 14:16
Sorry to hear about your losses:(

MarshallDodge
09-28-09, 14:29
I have a pretty diverse handgun collection but it isn't 26 different makes and models. :eek:

There are a couple of them that I shoot the most- Kahr, 1911, and lately a M&P40.

The rest of them are taken out a once in a while for fun or to let a friend try out when they are shopping for a gun.

87GN
10-18-09, 18:35
I just realized that I made a big mistake when I made this post.

I was cleaning my house and found my BHP and my CZ-52.

I don't feel like selling the BHP and I paid too much for it anyway, and the CZ-52 was bought too cheap to sell...though I may be getting a 7.62x25 1911 soon, anyone want a CZ-52?

Littlelebowski
10-18-09, 19:11
I just realized that I made a big mistake when I made this post.

I was cleaning my house and found my BHP and my CZ-52.

I don't feel like selling the BHP and I paid too much for it anyway, and the CZ-52 was bought too cheap to sell...though I may be getting a 7.62x25 1911 soon, anyone want a CZ-52?

I was just cleaning my house and found an Accuracy International .338 Lapua with a Nightforce 5.5-22x on it. Is anybody missing one?

John_Wayne777
10-18-09, 19:19
If you mow your lawn and find a car, you're a redneck.

What are you when you clean your house and "find" a firearm?

THE FROG
10-18-09, 19:40
I've kept 9mm & .45 acp but also my Ruger Mk. II .22 and a Ruger GP-100 .357 mag for the woods.

87GN
10-18-09, 21:43

Extremely forgetful? :(

Last year I found an AR-15 that I had moved to my parents house during my divorce. Put it in a hard case and forgot about it. It was a Tier Seventeen AR from my early days, so I sold it.

NinjaMedic
10-19-09, 00:45

Enlightened?