PDA

View Full Version : Andrew M. Manis, "When are WE Going to Get Over It?"

SHIVAN
09-24-09, 10:52
Andrew M. Manis is associate professor of history at Macon State College in Georgia and wrote this for an editorial in the Macon Telegraph.

When Are WE Going to Get Over It?

For much of the last forty years, ever since America “fixed” its race problem in the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts, we white people have been impatient with African Americans who continued to blame race for their difficulties. Often we have heard whites ask, “When are African Americans finally going to get over it?

Now I want to ask: “When are we White Americans going to get over our ridiculous obsession with skin color?

Recent reports that “Election Spurs Hundreds’ of Race Threats, Crimes” should frighten and infuriate every one of us. Having grown up in “Bombingham,” Alabama in the 1960s, I remember overhearing an avalanche of comments about what many white classmates and their parents wanted to do to John and Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King. Eventually, as you may recall, in all three cases, someone decided to do more than “talk the talk.”

Since our recent presidential election, to our eternal shame we are once again hearing the same reprehensible talk I remember from my boyhood.

We white people have controlled political life in the disunited colonies and United States for some 400 years on this continent. Conservative whites have been in power 28 of the last 40 years. Even during the eight Clinton years, conservatives in Congress blocked most of his agenda and pulled him to the right. Yet never in that period did I read any headlines suggesting that anyone was calling for the assassinations of presidents Nixon, Ford, Reagan, or either of the Bushes. Criticize them, yes. Call for their impeachment, perhaps.

But there were no bounties on their heads. And even when someone did try to kill Ronald Reagan, the perpetrator was non-political mental case who wanted merely to impress Jody Foster.

But elect a liberal who happens to be Black and we’re back in the sixties again. At this point in our history, we should be proud that we’ve proven what conservatives are always saying -that in America anything is possible, EVEN electing a black man as president. But instead we now hear that schoolchildren from Maine to California are talking about wanting to “assassinate Obama.”

Fighting the urge to throw up, I can only ask, “How long?” How long before we white people realize we can’t make our nation, much less the whole world, look like us? How long until we white people can -once and for all- get over this hell-conceived preoccupation with skin color? How long until we white people get over the demonic conviction that white skin makes us superior? How long before we white people get over our bitter resentments about being demoted to the status of equality with non-whites?

How long before we get over our expectations that we should be at the head of the line merely because of our white skin? How long until we white people end our silence and call out our peers when they share the latest racist jokes in the privacy of our white-only conversations?

I believe in free speech, but how long until we white people start making racist loud mouths as socially uncomfortable as we do flag burners? How long until we white people will stop insisting that blacks exercise personal responsibility, build strong families, educate themselves enough to edit the Harvard Law Review, and work hard enough to become President of the United States, only to threaten to assassinate them when they do?

How long before we starting “living out the true meaning” of our creeds, both civil and religious, that all men and women are created equal and that “red and yellow, black and white” all are precious in God’s sight?

Until this past November 4, I didn’t believe this country would ever elect an African American to the presidency. I still don’t believe I’ll live long enough to see us white people get over our racism problem. But here’s my three-point plan:

First, everyday that Barack Obama lives in the White House that Black Slaves Built I’m going to pray that God (and the Secret Service) will protect him and his family from us white people.

Second, I’m going to report to the FBI any white person I overhear saying, in seriousness or in jest, anything of a threatening nature about President Obama.

Third, I’m going to pray to live long enough to see America surprise the world once again, when white people can “in spirit and in truth” sing of our damnable color prejudice, “We HAVE overcome.”

It takes a Village to protect our President!!!

About the author:
Andrew Manis is author of Macon Black and White and serves on the steering committee of Macon’s Center for Racial understanding.

http://www.clarksvilleonline.com/2009/01/19/when-are-we-going-to-get-over-it/#more-14607

Sudden
09-24-09, 12:31
Idiot!

Zhurdan
09-24-09, 13:00
"It takes a Village to protect our President!!! "... and it takes a Village Idiot to believe that people will ever "get along" completely.

I take umbrage to many points in the authors article, but the most of which is his belief that people ONLY look at skin color, and that the only way 'we' had to show we're over race was to elect a black President. I have no qualms with BO being black, but I do have an issue with how he can't seem to tell the truth. Unfortunately, that seems to go for pretty much any President/politician, regardless of their skin color. It just bugs me that he thinks there is some sort of watermark or level gauge that shows tolerance. Heck, I used to have a problem with people who were gay. I got over it as I have made friends with people who are and it doesn't make me any less of a person. I disagree with thier lifestyle, but I don't need to bend over and take one up the tail pipe to prove that I can tolerate it.

Rider79
09-24-09, 13:00
Haha.

I'll get over it when I stop getting accused of being a racist for doing my job.

"You're kicking me out because I'm black!"

"No, I'm kicking you out of the club because you grabbed our waitress's ass then called her a whore/slapped her/pushed her when she protested."

If I had a dollar every time I heard this exchange or something similar there'd be another BCM rifle in my safe.

If I had a dollar every time I was called racist/skinhead/cracker etc. when I was kicking someone out, or had someone try to intimidate me because I'm white and they're black while kicking them out, I would have a 6920 next to that BCM rifle.

The victim excuse is so old, I just don't want to hear it anymore. I hear it from every race out there, including white people, when my non-white doormen are kicking them out. I had an Asian guy who punched a Mexican accuse us of being racist because we handcuffed him and not the guy he punched, who was minding his own business. Said it was because "the other guy was white". When we told him he punched a Mexican, his answer was "well, he looked white".

parishioner
09-24-09, 13:06
I believe in free speech, but how long until we white people start making racist loud mouths as socially uncomfortable as we do flag burners? How long until we white people will stop insisting that blacks exercise personal responsibility, build strong families, educate themselves enough to edit the Harvard Law Review, and work hard enough to become President of the United States, only to threaten to assassinate them when they do?

This guy is seriously disconnected. As if whites want to assassinate every successful black person. What about Colin Powell and Condoleezza Rice? Who wanted to assassinate them?

It is not his skin color. It is his political agenda that we disagree with.
I think I could say this until Im blue in the face and nobody would listen.

They insist on making it a racist issue and won't ever let it go. They are making it a problem.

I'm starting to notice that most arguments spiral into cloud of confusion and before long the root of the argument is completely unrecognizable.

Sudden
09-24-09, 13:09
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/09/16/beck_skousen/index.html

Sudden, were you part of the 75,000 achem, I mean 2 million(yeah right, you lunatics wish you had that much support) that marched in D.C for your LITTLE get together?

And your calling this author who is speaking about the equality of all humans an idiot? What "huevos grandes":D

Crying racism is not the same as "Speaking of equality." Total BS. I was part of the march and proud of it. I get from your comments that in your small mind that you think that was about race too.

Rider79
09-24-09, 13:12
Your link just brings you to the main page of salon.com, so I'm not really sure what your link is supposed to be saying. I see a couple smear articles on Glenn Beck on the main page, so maybe that's what you're referring to.

If your main source of info is Salon, you need help.

And if there's some type of sarcasm in your post, maybe I'm missing it, but why does it make you a lunatic to expect the government to follow the Constitution and rule of law?

All this writer is doing is the typical liberal argument of late: if you can't argue with legitimate points, just call the conservative racist, then it just ends up with the conservative trying to prove that he isn't racist.

http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/09/16/beck_skousen/index.html

Sudden, were you part of the 75,000 achem, I mean 2 million(yeah right, you lunatics wish you had that much support) that marched in D.C for your LITTLE get together?

And your calling this author who is speaking about the equality of all humans an idiot? What "huevos grandes":D

SHIVAN
09-24-09, 13:13
...were you part of the 75,000...

No dog in that fight, but the number was easily mid-six figures, or higher. The vids and pictures are pretty compelling.

And your calling this author who is speaking about the equality of all humans an idiot?

He never referred to equality. In fact, his message is divisive and incendiary.

Sudden
09-24-09, 13:17
No dog in that fight, but the number was easily mid-six figures, or higher. The vids and pictures are pretty compelling.

He never referred to equality. In fact, his message is divisive and incendiary.

That's the way I saw it. I should have explained why I made the one word comment. Sometimes these guys make me speechless.

buzz_knox
09-24-09, 13:25
I've heard a lot of crap about "assassinations" but never any citations to something that irresponsible being put out by anything even theoretically linked to conservatives.

As for this idiot, where was he when Letterman put the "snipers wanted" banner over Bush's picture and the Dems were largely silent? I guess since that doesn't support his argument, it didn't happen.

SHIVAN
09-24-09, 13:35
As for this idiot, where was he when Letterman put the "snipers wanted" banner over Bush's picture and the Dems were largely silent? I guess since that doesn't support his argument, it didn't happen.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/kilborn1.html

http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/story?id=116331&page=1

CBS Apologizes to George W. Bush
CBS Apologizes for Airing Bush-Bashing Message
Aug. 10

David Letterman may have to wait even longer to get Republican presidential candidate George Bush on the The Late Show, thanks to a blunder that aired during his fellow CBS network program the The Late, Late Show.

The message “Snipers Wanted” accidentally flashed across the screen over footage of Bush accepting the Republican presidential nomination during Friday night’s broadcast of the late night show hosted by Craig Kilborn. CBS issued a formal apology Wednesday stating, “this graphic, which was not accompanied by any remarks from Mr. Kilborn, should not have been included in the telecast and is not consistent with our broadcast standards.” The network and program producer Worldwide Pants Inc. added they, “deeply regret this incident.” The company said it would take appropriate action.

Apology Accepted

A Bush spokesman said the candidate accepted the apology.

“It’s unfortunate something like that has happened,” Bush campaign spokesman Dan Bartlett said from Austin, Texas. “We accept their apology and look forward to seeing the results of their investigation.” Worldwide Pants, David Letterman’s production company, also produces The Late Show with David Letterman, which airs immediately before Kilborn’s daily show. Letterman ran his own political campaign of sorts last week, trying to persuade the Republican candidate to debate Democrat Al Gore on his TV show.

The phrase concerning Bush appeared on the screen during a segment of the show called “In the News,” which features photos, video clips and Kilborn’s commentary on current events.

Kilborn took over in March 1999 as host of The Late Late Show, which debuted in 1995 as a talk show with host Tom Snyder. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

parishioner
09-24-09, 13:45
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/kilborn1.html

He points out the chatter of assassination of Obama amongst his peers but when a MAJOR TELEVISION NETWORK calls for a sniper bullet to kill Bush on national television for all of America to see, no problem there I guess for Mr. Manis.

buzz_knox
09-24-09, 13:52
Thanks, Shivan.

huklbrry
09-24-09, 14:01
Gents, I am No fan of Obama, but when people like Glen Beck and his windbag associates spew their rhetoric, it is somewhat bothersome. He is coming from extremist position and in my opinion does not bring anything to the table.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909180020

huklbrry
09-24-09, 14:04
And as far as the author's writings above, I guess my interpretation of what he was saying is just different.

Take care.

Rider79
09-24-09, 14:30
Gents, I am No fan of Obama, but when people like Glen Beck and his windbag associates spew their rhetoric, it is somewhat bothersome. He is coming from extremist position and in my opinion does not bring anything to the table.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/200909180020

And people like that are coming from an extremist position as well, just on the left wing side of things. Mediamatters.org is a leftwing site. Basically what that article is saying is that Glenn Beck doesn't want to really look at the Constitution because he isn't pushing the BS "living document" argument that Obama pushes.

huklbrry
09-24-09, 14:42
Rider,
Im not saying that MediaMatters isnt leftwing. What I'm trying to convey is that regardless of what news you subscribe to, THEY ALL LIE. I just appreciate the lies I injest being a little more subtle and not so blatant. The only thing that matters to them is advertising dollars. That is the basis that drives them. If they can spin a story (and they all do) to "scare" or "inform" as many people as they can, they will, guaranteed, because thats how these news corps. make their money.

God Bless the United States of Goldman-Sachs

khc3
09-24-09, 15:14
About the author:
Andrew Manis is author of Macon Black and White and serves on the steering committee of Macon’s Center for Racial understanding.

Seems like this fellow has a vested interest in us NOT "getting over it."

Zhurdan
09-24-09, 15:17
I had a guy that worked for me that said this one time...

"A subtle lie is the best lie. People rarely see thru it. Now, them big lies... it doesn't take much to see thru those." A pretty simple statement from a pretty simple man, but he was right.

Personally, I'd prefer that they just didn't lie, but I believe as he did, that the subtle lies are far more damaging and far reaching, and Obama is pretty damn good at it.

Also, as a side note, if you're going to call the media liars, you may not want to use them to support your argument weather they are left or right leaning media.

Safetyhit
09-24-09, 15:34
The man is a small time ideologue. His type are everywhere in the educational system.

huklbrry
09-24-09, 15:50
Zhurdan,

I was just trying to say that as Americans, in my opinion, we all need to turn the 24 hour news, talk radio monkeys off. Regardless of what wing or side they play for.

dmanflynn
09-24-09, 16:31
I had a guy that worked for me that said this one time...

"A subtle lie is the best lie. People rarely see thru it. Now, them big lies... it doesn't take much to see thru those." A pretty simple statement from a pretty simple man, but he was right.

Personally, I'd prefer that they just didn't lie, but I believe as he did, that the subtle lies are far more damaging and far reaching, and Obama is pretty damn good at it.

Also, as a side note, if you're going to call the media liars, you may not want to use them to support your argument weather they are left or right leaning media.

Seems to me I remember reading of another man who was good at subtly lieing to the thousands, I think his name started with an H, or maybe a J...

huklbrry
09-24-09, 17:02
They are the same in that they all "scare up" ratings so their advertisers will be happy. Thats generally why I get my news from factcheck.org, politifact.com ,or opencongress.org.

I reccomend them, getting the news in all of its "truthiness":D
But who am I?
Just a guy who likes guns:D

Spooky130
09-24-09, 17:10
If Barak Obama was white and a direct descendant of George Washington himself, I would still oppose his actions in regards to the US. I could care less what color he was as to what his policies and actions are. I will be the first person in line to vote for a black man who is Reagan incarnate.

Spooky

huklbrry
09-24-09, 17:46
Reagan is one of the main players that began the downfall of the U.S.'s economy with the signing of the Garn-St. Germain Act back in 82'. Um, Savings and Loan Scandals. Anyone remember?

CarlosDJackal
09-24-09, 18:39
...He never referred to equality. In fact, his message is divisive and incendiary.

Amen!! FWIW, I am a minority myself and over the years I have been in the receiving end of racism from the very individuals this moron is siding with.

Yes, you read that right. I have had more blacks tell me that I should "speak American" or I should "go home to China or wherever I came from" than any other group. I have also had more blacks tell me that I "shouldn't work so hard because I was making them look bad" than any other group. :rolleyes:

I think that those who are quick to defend this so-called writer need to look at the racism he is advocating. I don't like obama not because he is half-kenyan or half-white. I don't like him because he's nothing more than a snakeoil salesman who got into office because of his skin color regardless of his experience or qualification. And IMHO, this is just as bad as if someone was voted in because he was white, brown, yellow, purple or green!! :mad:

JM2CW.

Jay Cunningham
09-24-09, 19:40
I just deleted 20 posts from this thread for bickering and personal attacks - get it back on track. I don't want to see this nonsense again.

Rider79
09-24-09, 20:13
Thats generally why I get my news from factcheck.org, politifact.com ,or opencongress.org.
.....Just a guy who likes guns:D

I'm going to have to look a little to find it, but I believe it came from the NRA and another source. Factcheck.org is funded by some of the same leftwing groups that fund Sarah Brady and the Brady Bunch. It was back when factcheck.org was trying to counter the NRA's ads portraying Obama as anti-gun, but the only "evidence" they had to counter the NRA's statements was that the Obama campaign said they weren't true. So if you're a "guy who likes guns" you may want to reconsider the info you're getting from that source.

Heavy Metal
09-24-09, 21:18
Media Matters is a George Soros sock-puppet organization. They are radical left-wingers.

The_War_Wagon
09-24-09, 23:11
Typical Ivory Tower asshat. The moment someone disagrees with Obama's POLICIES, they throw down the race DECK o' cards. :rolleyes:

I hope ALL our boys come back, go to college on the GI Bill, and LAUGH people like this right into retirement...:mad:

sewvacman
09-24-09, 23:55
You know, I'm getting real damn tired of being labeled a racist for expressing my POV about the government. I didn't really care for Bush (I voted McCain 2x) but because I was the same color as him it was just excercising my right to free speech, but now that the color of the president's does not match mine I am a nazi racist?!? I don't know one white person who isn't actually hoping and praying that this president does not get shot. It would be an all out race war, who the hell wants that except maybe some extreme racist fringe elements?

I don't like Obama because I think he's a flat out liar with his own agenda. I would have voted for Colin Powell if he was running at the time.

R/Tdrvr
09-25-09, 06:38
You know, I'm getting real damn tired of being labeled a racist for expressing my POV about the government. I didn't really care for Bush (I voted McCain 2x) but because I was the same color as him it was just excercising my right to free speech, but now that the color of the president's does not match mine I am a nazi racist?!?

Agreed. I just wonder, if BO was a Republican, would there be any cries of racism against the Dems/liberals being against his policies? Or would it just be being patriotic? When the Dems were not in control of Congress, they criticized Bush damn near every day (and called him a liar and coward), but they were just "being patriotic". Now when they have control and you criticize Obama, well, your a racist, nazi, un-American, etc.

buzz_knox
09-25-09, 07:39
Agreed. I just wonder, if BO was a Republican, would there be any cries of racism against the Dems/liberals being against his policies? Or would it just be being patriotic? When the Dems were not in control of Congress, they criticized Bush damn near every day (and called him a liar and coward), but they were just "being patriotic". Now when they have control and you criticize Obama, well, your a racist, nazi, un-American, etc.

If BO was a Republican, he'd be treated with the same courtesy as Clarence Thomas, Condeleeza Rice or Colin Powell (who was rehabilitated after supporting BO). He'd be referred to as an oreo, Uncle Tom, or be declared simply a Republican token.

khc3
09-25-09, 12:12

"Lunatics?"

Care to be more specific?

Spiffums
09-25-09, 18:03
Barry O threw out the race card in the primary and he has left it in play. Oh sure he didn't do it like the rest of his crew but he made sure it was on the table.

John_Wayne777
09-25-09, 18:19
"Lunatics?"

Care to be more specific?

No, he wouldn't....because if he posts any more insults in this thread he's gone. Please ignore his boorish behavior. He's being dealt with. ;)

QuietShootr
09-25-09, 18:21
No, he wouldn't....because if he posts any more insults in this thread he's gone. Please ignore his boorish behavior. He's being dealt with. ;)

THANK you.

khc3
09-25-09, 19:22
Barry O threw out the race card in the primary and he has left it in play. Oh sure he didn't do it like the rest of his crew but he made sure it was on the table.

Barry, when he is being asked if he thinks criticism of him is racist, could not only say, "No, I don't think it is," but also, "And I think those who are saying it is need to stop."

But he doesn't.

Alpha Sierra
09-25-09, 21:27
F-ck that guy.

That is all.

Heavy Metal
09-25-09, 22:12

Seems like we have had an influx of trolls lately. Mabey ACORN.

Safetyhit
09-26-09, 09:37
Seems like we have had an influx of trolls lately.

Yes it does.

Always on the lookout for them, though, and ready to expel. :mad:

Just kidding Jay. :D

perna
09-26-09, 09:58
The race/gender card gets played EVERYDAY all over the US, they stopped calling it affirmative action, now they just call it other things like demographic ractios of the communities.

Communitiy leaders check the race/gender percentage that are employed by a city to the race/gender percentage of the community, when the percentage is off they chaange the requirerments of employment. Anyone that is in the public service has probably seen this. All it leads to is sub par employees and once they are hired it takes them commiting a felony while on duty to fire them.

It is not limited to LEO, every city/state/government position has the same issues.

a1fabweld
09-26-09, 16:05
This guy sums it up well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFiab7fjak. You can't criticize him because black people can't be racist, right?:p

Safetyhit
09-26-09, 22:32
This guy sums it up well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hFiab7fjak. You can't criticize him because black people can't be racist, right?:p

I like this guy. Maybe the next Alan Keyes, but a bit better spoken.