PDA

View Full Version : Position of front sling attachment

Zhurdan
09-25-09, 11:10
Ok. So I've been running a Vickers VCAS on my rifle for about 4 months now, but I still have issues getting the sling to it's full length so I have more room to move the rifle with. As it stands, I have it attached to the rear of the buttstock via quick disconnector and at the front end of the rail.

In you experience, which has an advantage? Is it better to shorten the sling length and move the front attachement to the rear of the rail or to move the rear attachment to the rear of the upper receiver? Basically, I have to contort my arms and rifle to get the sling loose enough to be able to switch shoulders. I've tried monkeying with both... front to the rear of the rail seems better so far, but many of you shoot more than I do.
Here's the only pic of the rifle I have uploaded at the moment. Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/Zhurdan/129.jpg

Outlander Systems
09-25-09, 11:22
Tagging out of interest.

As someone who desperately wants to make the switch over to 2P slings, I'm curious as to the optimisation thereof.

I'm looking to trade the speed and freedom of the 1P for the ergonomics of the 2P.

Thomas M-4
09-25-09, 11:33
I have my VCAS the rear mount on the opposite side it helps me a little on on switching sides.

subzero
09-25-09, 12:02
I started running my sling with the front point at the rear of the rail because that's what the Omegas have for a built-in QD point. I didn't like it at first, but I've come around.

Having the point behind your hand means the when you want to grab the slider to open up the sling, it's a more fluid motion than grasping forward and then drawing back. You can just slide your hand back over the QD point, grab the slider and get to it. Kinda like sweeping along your belt line when doing a pistol reload.

That said, I kept my rear point as far back on the stock as I can get. Put the points too closely together, and you've taken away one of the big advantages of a 2 point: control of the slung weapon.

Alex F
09-25-09, 13:38
Tagging out of interest.

As someone who desperately wants to make the switch over to 2P slings, I'm curious as to the optimisation thereof.

I'm looking to trade the speed and freedom of the 1P for the ergonomics of the 2P.

Have you considered a magpul MS2? It transitions fairly well to a 2P for me.

Failure2Stop
09-25-09, 13:56
I prefer the front attachment point to be toward the rear of the HG rail.
You will get more stability out of the weapon if you sling muzzle up by moving it toward the muzzle, as well as better use of the sling as a marksmanship aid. Since I don't need either of those features I prefer the rearward point as it gives me more flexibility and efficiency with the sling in all other uses.

I also prefer to mount the rear point of the sling to the outside of the stock instead of the receiver end-plate. This makes shoulder transitions easier, I don't chafe my thumb on the QD swivel, keeps the sling out of my cheek-weld, keeps the stock at the correct height (for me at least), and controls the gun better when hands-free.

Just my opinion and experience. Guys I respect do completely different things with their slings and it works for them, though a lot of them changed when shown and explained ways to improve their interaction with the sling.

Does not apply to 1-point slings, which are better mounted to the end-plate.

Jer
09-26-09, 03:01
They say a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://coracing.net/gallery/d/12629-1/IMG_1627.JPG

:cool:

DSand
09-27-09, 06:30
^^^ That is exactly how I have my sling set up. I have changed it time after time and wound up with this being the most useful in my opinion.

Jer
09-27-09, 12:50
Especially running an MS2 because it makes for quick 2pt to 1pt transitions.
^^^ That is exactly how I have my sling set up. I have changed it time after time and wound up with this being the most useful in my opinion.

Norone
09-28-09, 05:11
I treat the sling as a "holster" for my M4.
Upon stepping out on faith with a 2P VTAC and seeing repeatedly its pros shadowing its cons I still use it for all I do and I try to find ways to improve its attachments.

--I try to place the front as far out as possible.
I drilled a small hole on my JP handgaurd to set it even further out so it doesn't get in my lead hands way.
--The rear attachment I have, try to follow here, is on the opposite side of the stock and a mid height point. This makes switching to the left shoulder so easy and no sling-choking occurs- its pretty sweet.

The only advantage I see to SP set up is that the slack doesn't get caught of your rig and such as a 2P does for me. But if I had to secure the gun to use my hands the 2P prevails.
On a personal note, I so like to not having to have constantly one hand on the gun. Slinging to my back or cinched up tight on my chest is such a relief.
Im probably just lazy- I dunno.

Tzoid
09-30-09, 23:35
Have you considered a magpul MS2? It transitions fairly well to a 2P for me.

I have 2 Vickers VCAS 2 pt slings that I like a ton...and also a Gear Sector 1 pt. It's functional but not as comfortable and it seems to get hung up in my chest rig.

I would love to try the Magpul MS2 but I guess they can't make them fast enough to stock any suppliers so I can get one... :(