PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense M4 barrel (good enough?)

the.2nd1
09-25-09, 14:41
Is a Daniel Defense M4 chrome lined barrel 1/7 twist good enough for a Tier 1 Build ?The barrel has the M4 feedramps and has the FSB
I'm going with with a Bravo Co mil-spec stock and receiver extention with a H buffer.
A Bravo Co M16 bolt and carrier.with bolt upgrade kit
A Bravo Co upper Receiver
I have'nt decided which lower receiver I'm going to buy.I might go with Spikes or DPMS the machine work is really good on the DPMS. They have very nice lowers.
I'm going to use a Daniel Defense Omega Railed Forearm.
Most likely I'll use a Rock River Arms lower parts kit.(I've had good results with them).
I like the LMT Tactical rear sight and I'll most likely mount an Eotech sight system.
I'm trying to build a carbine thats as good or better than a Colt.

spamsammich
09-25-09, 15:01
Their standard barrel or their hammer forged barrels are GTG.

Dunderway
09-25-09, 16:01
If you haven't purchased anything yet, then add up the cost of your list. I have a feeling that you would be better off just purchasing a complete BCM or DD carbine from G&R tactical, and then adding the extras you want.

JSGlock34
09-25-09, 16:12
If you haven't purchased anything yet, then add up the cost of your list. I have a feeling that you would be better off just purchasing a complete BCM or DD carbine from G&R tactical, and then adding the extras you want.

Good advice. Especially with the $250 gift card deal from Daniel Defense right now...you could buy the complete Daniel Defense XV carbine and essentially get that Omega rail for free. Plus the Daniel Defense rear BUIS is pretty similar to the LMT BUIS...Why part out the above build when the factory DD is so similar and aggressively priced?

sewvacman
09-25-09, 18:48
Is a Daniel Defense M4 chrome lined barrel 1/7 twist good enough for a Tier 1 Build ?The barrel has the M4 feedramps and has the FSB
I'm going with with a Bravo Co mil-spec stock and receiver extention with a H buffer.
A Bravo Co M16 bolt and carrier.with bolt upgrade kit
A Bravo Co upper Receiver
I have'nt decided which lower receiver I'm going to buy.I might go with Spikes or DPMS the machine work is really good on the DPMS. They have very nice lowers.
I'm going to use a Daniel Defense Omega Railed Forearm.
Most likely I'll use a Rock River Arms lower parts kit.(I've had good results with them).
I like the LMT Tactical rear sight and I'll most likely mount an Eotech sight system.
I'm trying to build a carbine thats as good or better than a Colt.

I've got an almost Identical build going except I went with a stag lower and LPK with a used surefire rail and 512 eotech. I just got in one of each of the Daniel Defense barrels because I've read good things about them. They are sweet but just to warn you the CHF barrel has a [I]real heavy[I] coating on them. Nothing wrong with it I just didn't expect it. Haven't put it together yet to shoot it but they look really well made.

I've had most of my parts for awhile and got most through trades but if I had all of it back again I would have to go with a BCM or DD. Better re-sale and w/DD a free rail. Hard to beat.

the.2nd1
09-25-09, 19:39
I don't have the money to buy a complete rifle.I'm buying a few parts here and there so far I've bought the upper receiver and thats it.I found the barrel for $225.I thought that was a good deal.
I have'nt added up how much it's going to cost yet.I've just now decided what I was going to build it was either this gun or a 20 inch A2 or A3 rifle.
I'll check out thier prices but it's no use.I don't have the money to buy a complete rifle.I'll add up my cost of the M4 for me to build it. I'll be back shortly

Surf
09-25-09, 19:41
I just put together an SPR style build this past weekend from parts that I have acquired over time. I was able to shoot it this week and overall I really like the DD barrel. I planed to use the Noveske 18" SPR barrel (on order) however in the meantime, I used the DD non-CHF 16" barrel. With a fixed 4X ACOG mounted I got consistent 1 - 1.25 MOA groups with the DD barrel. When the Noveske barrel comes in, I will swap the DD onto another build, but I am very pleased with it. I will post pics and specs later.

Thomas M-4
09-25-09, 20:16
Just by a complete lower and when you get the funds up buy a complete upper Daniel defense sales complete lowers and uppers.

Lower:http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/Daniel_Defense_M4_Complete_Lower_Receiver_Half.html

Uppers:http://www.danieldefense.com/?page=shop/browse&category=completeupperreceivergroups

then you just buy a BCG and charging handle.
you can also pick up a LMT this way and BCM .

the.2nd1
09-25-09, 20:25
OK this is what I came up with
Daniel Defense barrel and assembly $263 includes gas tube,delta pak,swivel and rivot.
Daniel Defense Omega Hand Guards $256 this includes shipping
BCM M4 stock with the H Buffer 94.95
Spikes or Dpms Lower receiver $150 includes shipping and ffl fee
Bushmaster lower parts kit $75.00
BCM Gunfighter charging Handle 44.95
BCM M16 Bolt and carrier $ 155
LMT Tactical Rear sight $ 119.00
Bravo Co upper receiver $93.95
total for my build $ 1252.00 includes shipping

total for G & R the carbine is $1199 not counting shipping or $20 ffl fee
All those cost are already included in my total Plus I have it like I want it
I have'nt dedcided if I want a Magpul trigger guard or not.
I have every tool you can imagine for an AR I don't have to buy any tools .
Plus if I build it I know it's as close to perfect as I can get it.

JSGlock34
09-25-09, 20:30
I've seen the DD XV rifles for $999. That's with the new hammer forged barrel too. And that'll include the Omega Rail if you use the $250 gift card they're offering with the purchase of a new rifle by year's end. The deals on the DDs are very good right now.

But if your build is the way you want it, by all means, go ahead and enjoy. Some of my friends seem to enjoy building rifles as much as shooting them.

Okami099
09-25-09, 21:35
Where are you seeing the carbine for $999?

the.2nd1
09-25-09, 21:45
Where are you seeing the carbine for $999?

I think he means $999 after you subtract the $250 from it.
Will that be a gift card or a rebate ?there is a difference

perna
09-25-09, 22:40
A local dealer here has one listed for $1050 on gunbroker, last week they listed them for $1199.

JSGlock34
09-25-09, 23:30
IMs sent. $1139 is the MAP - you can find dealers who will beat it.

As for the $250 gift card (not a rebate) promotion, go right to the source at Daniel Defense (http://www.danieldefense.com). The gift card is good for use towards Daniel Defense accessories. Since you were interested in an Omega Rail anyway...

Daniel Defense Black Fund Card Promotion!

Purchase a Daniel Defense Rifle and receive a $250 Black Fund Gift Card to use toward Daniel Defense Accessories!
Send in a copy of your 4473 and receipt to:
Daniel Defense
Attn: Black Fund Card Rebate
101 Warfighter Way
Black Creek, GA 31308
Offer good from 09/14/09 thru 12/31/09

http://www.danieldefense.com/img/cover/cover.gif

ETA - I'm not affiliated with Daniel Defense or any dealer. I just know a good deal when I see it.

the.2nd1
09-26-09, 01:15
I appreciate the info.I'll still have to get her a piece at a time.I get a little extra money I get something and put it in my parts box till it's finished .Now is a good time to build one with parts being available and the prices coming down some.

Surf
09-26-09, 14:04
As I mentioned above here are the Specs (some items may be replaced) and a few pics of the SPR build with the DD barrel. Again I will swap out the barrel on this build when the 18" Noveske SPR barrel arrives, but I will use the DD barrel on another build.

Lower
- Noveske N4, E marked lower
- Armalite LPK
- RRA two stage (worked)
- A2 style Stock
- Magpul BAD
- Ergo Suregrip

Upper
- Colt upper receiver
- Colt M16 BCG
- DD 16" NON-CHF barrel, 1:7, chrome lined, 4150 steel.
- Smith Vortex FH
- Troy MRF-RX 13.8" FF rail
- American Defense Recon-X QD scope mount
- Swarovski Habicht 10X scope
- Amercian Defense QD bipod adapter
- Harris bipod
- Surefire X300
- Magpul Back Up sights
- Magpul rail covers
- Wilson tac latch

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/SPR002.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_28611.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_28631.jpg
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd60/SSDSurf/Guns/IMG_28591.jpg

Dunderway
09-26-09, 14:25
I appreciate the info.I'll still have to get her a piece at a time.I get a little extra money I get something and put it in my parts box till it's finished .Now is a good time to build one with parts being available and the prices coming down some.

That's understandable, and it sounds like you will still be putting together a very nice carbine.

the.2nd1
09-28-09, 10:16
That's understandable, and it sounds like you will still be putting together a very nice carbine.

yes I want it to be a Tier 1 carbine

Vash1023
09-28-09, 11:39
DD m4.... GTG for sure