PDA

View Full Version : Help a newb out

cschwanz
09-25-09, 18:30
First post, new to the rifle scene. Couple of buddy's and I have been shooting recently and its got me itching for my own. I'm thinking of buying a stripped lower at an upcoming gun show (as long as the prices are stupid high) and then pairing it with a good completed upper. (should make my first build relatively simple yet still give me what I want)

As I've been looking around, Ive seen different uppers with varying lengths of gas systems. Through all the searching I've done both here and elsewhere, I cant really find a breakdown of the differences between carbine/midlength/rifle gas systems. I was hoping some light could be shed into this dilema for me. Trying to figure out what to put on my "to-buy" list and cant figure these things out.

I mainly am wanting a target gun and maybe something I can take out this winter to try to shoot a coyote or two, not for a home defense gun. I'm not really looking for options of uppers to buy (not yet anyway-I'm sure that thread will come a lil later down the road). Just trying to educate myself on the variances of uppers and the pros/cons to each.

Thanks!

RogerinTPA
09-25-09, 19:19
Welcome to M4C.

I've often felt a "Comparison Thread and Chart" was in order on the various AR platforms (Rifle/Midlength/Carbine), that explains in detail, the differences, advantages and disadvantages of each. Each type has their pluses and minuses, depending on the mission. BUT, since this is M4Carbine, the emphasis has been mostly on carbine and on its variation, the midlength, which a lot of folks like, including myself. The midlength gas system is in many folks opinion, the best overall carbine for all around use. It has more advantages (longer dwell time, softer recoil, less violent and wear on parts, due to less pressure being introduced into the system, etc.) than the carbine gas system, which I also own. The 20" rifle length is the best of the three gas systems and most efficient/optimum, since that is what the AR platform was originally designed for. Maybe one day, someone(s) with the time and effort, will eventually put one together to help people with limited understanding of the various systems.

cschwanz
09-25-09, 19:42
Thanks for the reply, and i agree-a comparison chart would be perfect. I am looking to build an all-around rifle so maybe the middy is the better option for me?

Would still like some more info/input as well.

jwfuhrman
10-12-09, 20:47
well mr schwanz, Id say you'll just have to go to the gun and knife show..... with me.... since Im one of those mentioned buddies you've been shooting with.... haha