PDA

View Full Version : Truck/Trunk gun gear

RyanS
02-16-07, 22:45
So I've got my truck/trunk gun ready to go. My question is what do you all of is what other associated items to you keep with it? I was thinking of including the following:

First aid kit, spare ammo and mags for both rifle and handgun (how much ammo?), a spare BCG and a few essential cleaning tools, soft vest, multitool, fixed blade knife, spare set of clothing and boots, fleece and jacket, gloves, hat,water, food, flashlight and batteries, spare radio, spare mag carrier, cash, etc.

Next question is what is the ideal method of storing all of this? I would like something simple that will keep everything together. I drive a Jeep and I don't want a bunch of bags sitting in the back. Also, when I get home, it would be nice to grab one or two bag from the back to bring in rather four or five...although about the only thing that would be necessary to bring into the house would be the rifle.

I envision this to be "kit" to be something that I would like to have with me in the event that bad things happen and/or I can't get home right away or I get a chance to go to the range or a shoot after work.

Would something like the Eagle Sigma III bag fit the bill? Or would I be better off going with a discreet carry case and another bag for everything else?

Snake RAH
02-16-07, 23:29
While I'm a big fan of Eagle gear, you may want to think about what if you have to walk home. Do you want to look like someone of interest?

Also, if you have to ditch your vehicle and walk, anything you leave behind can be used by someone else, like a thug. You don't want to have so much that you can't walk home with it.

Most the mentioned items (clothing, etc.) can fit in a medium sized backpack. The rifle can go in a case. The armor you'll have to put on.

My walk home bag has 1 MRE, 1 bottle of water, 1 rain jacket, 1 pair of gloves, 1 bush hat, sunscreen, blowout kit with a side compartment of moleskin, tylenol and allergy meds, compass, Swiss army knife, flashlight and extra batteries, map, spare pistol magazines, some cash, cellphone charger (battery operated), and a couple pair of socks. I don't live in the sticks, or in the cold, so I deleted survival gear...if I really need it, then I'll have to appropriate it and leave an IOU.

The pack is manageable, and I don't look like I'm at arctic warfare school wearing it.

Striker5
02-17-07, 08:41
In the between the seats console in my Bronco I have the IFAK package, the USGI "survival kit" (signal mirror, magnesium bar, the terrific pocket knife,etc), odds and ends of MRE stuff (peanut butter and crackers, raisins, beverage base powder) a gerber multiplier, a gerber Applegate folder, extra gloves, a laminated field medical guide.

In the back I have an H-harness, a few six packs of bottled water, half a case of MRE's, a gas can, and a plastic tub of emergency POL and a "Ranger roll". I just assembled a battered ALICE pack which will also go in the back. Since I go on and off a military installation every day I don't carry firearms or ammunition. I also have my Intercepter vest, duece gear, kevlar for trips to the range (military, not civilian).

If I had to ditch my truck, I would load the pack and take off. In the coming weeks I am planning to prepack the ALICE in case I must make a hasty E&E.

One reason I chose the H-harness is because in a Katrina situation it is a little more benign looking than a chest rig or a CIRAS etc.