PDA

View Full Version : Nighthawk Custom owners?

diving dave
09-26-09, 11:48
Looking to hear from owners of Nighthawk pistols, regarding any funtion issues. I'm thinking about buying a GRP recon 1911, thoughts?

JonInWA
09-26-09, 11:56
I have a true custom-spec'ed Talon II; it's been an excellent gun. If you order, I'd suggest specifying the proprietiary Nighthawk stainless magazines vs. the ACT/Novak ones.

Best, Jon

Pappabear
09-26-09, 12:16
I have a true custom-spec'ed Talon II; it's been an excellent gun. If you order, I'd suggest specifying the proprietiary Nighthawk stainless magazines vs. the ACT/Novak ones.

Best, Jon

I agree, I bought Novak mags and they work perfect in my Nighthawk, but work for shit in my Springfield TRP. I have a Talon, great gun. GRP, great gun just a little less custom work that I do not think you need.

cop1211
09-26-09, 19:36
I've had a Talon for about 3 years with zero malfunctions, I bought 8 Wilson mags . Have 7,562 rounds through her. Best handgun I own.

JiMfraRED1911
09-26-09, 22:05
From what I've heard and seen...thumbs up on my side.

sff70
09-27-09, 00:53
Just hit 9900 rounds through my railed NHC/VT.

When I hit 10k, I'll post pics.

Works 100% with whatever I feed it.

I'm a very satisfied NH owner.

A few notes, in no particular order:

The "permakote" coating doesn't hold up any better than the polymer based finishes used by other manufacturers.

NH's prices are a bit on the high side. If you are LE/MIL, you are eligible for a 10% discount, which makes the price tag slightly easier to bear.

If you need service after the sale, NH does a very good job taking care of you.

The Act-Mag made mags offered under the NH, Novak, and other brand names are inferior. Many problems with them cracking at the back of the feed lips.

I'm not sure how NH's new style mags stack up. Best mags I've found for 1911s are the CMC Powermags.

In summary, I think NH builds a very good product and supports it well should you need service after the sale.

If you're willing to spend $2k+ on a 1911, consider a Springfield Pro or a Wilson CQB. You can sometimes find them used in good condition.

At the $2k price point, I'd go for a 10-8/Springfield Armory pistol. Know a guy who loaned me his. Excellent workmanship all around at a much lower price point than all the above guns. LAV has high praise for these pistols.

Of course, you could buy 2 G17s or M&P 9s, boatload of ammo, and a class or two classes for the prices of 1 of the above 1911s.

Good luck with your decision.

Surf
09-27-09, 05:01
Another very satisfied GRP Recon owner. No issues and a very fine pistol.

loupav
09-27-09, 11:25
I currently have my Colt XSE at Night Hawk for some custom work. It's coming home Tuesday.

But I really want a GRP, if I do. I'm going to NP3 that gun.

Lawdog537
09-27-09, 12:34
Have not had one problem in 2 years with my 10-8 Nighthawk. Eats everything and no function problems yet................................

Patrick Aherne
09-27-09, 13:07
You're in the South Bay Area, right? If so, go see John Jardine in Hayward and have him build you a pistol. If you are a working cop and will use the gun on duty, he puts you near the front of the list. There is no better 1911 smith out there and his pistols are responsible for saving a number of cops' lives.

WGG
09-27-09, 13:10
I agree with the previous poster's comments on the Perma Kote. I bought a T3 and was not satisfied with how quickly the finish was wearing. I sent it back to Nighthawk and had it re-finished in Diamond Black. There is no wear on the DB after more than a year of daily carry.

I also have a Talon finished in DB with target rear and fiber optic front sights. This pistol has the sweetest trigger pull of any gun I have shot.

I am very happy with the quality of the build and Nighthawk's service.

diving dave
09-27-09, 23:17
Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah it will be for uniform carry at work. I did carry a 1911 for awhile, a Kimber. But I had too many feeding issues with it, and after awhile I just didnt trust it and went back to a Glock 21. NH is a pricey pistol, but I've got about 5 more years of police work till I retire, so why not get a good one...:D. Part of the question I was wondering was feeding. When I went to our PD's SWAT handgun school, there was a number of high end 1911's there. Wilsons, Les Bauers, etc. Seemed like the "tighter" 1911's had alot of problems when they started getting dirty.

sff70
09-28-09, 00:22
"When I went to our PD's SWAT handgun school, there was a number of high end 1911's there. Wilsons, Les Bauers, etc. Seemed like the "tighter" 1911's had alot of problems when they started getting dirty. "

Magazines, and also extractor tension cause a lot of problems with 1911s, even high end 1911s.

As others have stated, with a 1911, you essentially have to be your own armorer to ensure the gun is properly PM'd.

John_Wayne777
09-28-09, 08:27
Thanks for all the info guys. Yeah it will be for uniform carry at work. I did carry a 1911 for awhile, a Kimber. But I had too many feeding issues with it, and after awhile I just didnt trust it and went back to a Glock 21. NH is a pricey pistol, but I've got about 5 more years of police work till I retire, so why not get a good one...:D. Part of the question I was wondering was feeding. When I went to our PD's SWAT handgun school, there was a number of high end 1911's there. Wilsons, Les Bauers, etc. Seemed like the "tighter" 1911's had alot of problems when they started getting dirty.

1911's in general have a number of problems if not built properly...and I can find examples from most of the big names in the 1911 biz that aren't built properly.

Even more 1911's aren't maintained properly. Lots of people really like 1911's, but it doesn't seem that many understand how to keep one in optimal running condition. Magazine springs, recoil springs, extractor tension, ammunition, and lubrication all play a crucial role in the 1911's function. You can't put 3 drops of lube on a 1911 and then run through several hundred rounds trouble free.

When you're on the line beside a 1911 it's difficult sometimes to know whether it's builder error or user error that is responsible for a 1911 that is choking. (Except for the lube issue...those are usually pretty easy to spot.)