PDA

View Full Version : Article on Mental Conditioning / Performance Psychology

Outlander Systems
09-26-09, 14:48
"On patrol in Iraq two years ago, John Way would notice his mind straying. "Maybe I should be watching some guy over there and instead I'm thinking, 'I'm hungry. Where's my next Twinkie?"

Interesting Article on Mental Conditioning / Performance Psychology:

"1911 mag, 1911 mag, Twinkie, Twinkie, Cupcake, Primary weapon mag..." (http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1920753,00.html)

rifleman2000
09-30-09, 09:01
In my humble opinion, "mental toughness training" is gay. Mental toughness is developed through intense and stressful training events.

As a sidenote, this seems very similar to Project JEDI.

Outlander Systems
09-30-09, 10:21
Mental toughness is developed through intense and stressful training events.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20090928/LOCAL18/909280320/1195/LOCAL18/March+puts+focus+on+post-traumatic+stress+disorder

rifleman2000
09-30-09, 13:47
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090928/LOCAL18/909280320/1195/LOCAL18/March+puts+focus+on+post-traumatic+stress+disorder

I don't have PTSD.

BLACK LION
09-30-09, 17:10
In my humble opinion, "mental toughness training" is gay. Mental toughness is developed through intense and stressful training events.

As a sidenote, this seems very similar to Project JEDI.

IMHO... I disagree.

Here is a snippet from the article that is relative to your comment:

"The Army has always believed if we just train 'em harder, the mental toughness will come," says Lorene Petta, a psychologist at Fort Bragg who works for ACEP. "A lot of times with this population, because they're so rough and tough, they tend to say, 'This is too touchy-feely for me. No thanks.' But we talk about the importance of being a good mental warrior too."

This was a good read...
This can definately help our men and women in uniform...

I know it helps me...

Outlander Systems
09-30-09, 17:10
You're a sample of one.

Some soldiers do actually suffer from PTSD. As well, if this programme can help mitigate the effects of stress from combat, especially for young dudes who just signed up for the college money, it's worth pursuing.

Failure2Stop
09-30-09, 18:44
There are many ways to approach the creation and maintenance of a warrior mindset. The method used by the Vikings was vastly different than that of Samurai, or other comparable eastern civilizations, though both undeniably produced superb results. It does warrant a note that meditation escapism is not new, and the "Samurai Mind Training" is simply a name. To quote the article-

The Samurai image was selected after careful deliberation; it was certifiably anti-sissy. "We took a long time to decide how we were going to package this," says Ernst...

While I am not a proponent of the necessity of meditation to cope with combat stress, if it works for someone there is no reason to poo-poo it. PTSD is a serious concern, though it seems to be primarily manifested in those that were not properly prepared for the reality of violence and boredom found in current conflicts, and if purpose-built mental management/meditation helps to reduce or avoid it, good.

For me, shooting is my meditation. The focus required to place shot on top of shot from 500 yards with an iron sighted service rifle is where I can focus on nothing more than the beat of my heart, the rhythm of my breathing, the flow of the wind, the crystal clear front sight, and the smooth gradual increase of pressure of my finger on the trigger.
Pure Zen dude.

Heavy Metal
09-30-09, 18:56
For me, shooting is my meditation. The focus required to place shot on top of shot from 500 yards with an iron sighted service rifle is where I can focus on nothing more than the beat of my heart, the rhythm of my breathing, the flow of the wind, the crystal clear front sight, and the smooth gradual increase of pressure of my finger on the trigger.
Pure Zen dude.

I used to describe long range Zen back in my service-rifle/high power shooting days as the realization of the instant when the shooter, rifle, bullet, target and the space in-between all become one for a fleeting instant.

huklbrry
09-30-09, 19:25
Those are some cool and poetic descriptions. Just like in Kyudo, "the true shot is not just the one that hits the center of the target, but one where the bullet can be said to exist in the target before its release."

I got a LOOONG time before I attain that kind of Oneness:D

Outlander Systems
09-30-09, 20:16
I look at mental fortification and the quest to attain the warrior mindset as preventative maintenance.

For example, we don't wait until our automobile's engine burns out from a lack of oil changes, and then replace the engine.

It's better to equip soldiers with intense training, and mental exercise, than to stick some drugs down their throats ex-post-facto, slap 'em on the ass and call it good.

We give our warriors training and equipment, but don't often impart upon them, in any form of regimented process, a cultivation of the warrior spirit. Too frequently it's presumed and assumed that it is simply a by-product of training, and other macho-attitude bullshit.

The macho-tough guy has no warrior spirit. He's simply fueled by interpersonal competition and all the ill-traits of an alpha-male. There's a difference between a warrior and a rockstar.

I've often argued that the spiritual component of warfare is what has been lacking in the modern ground-pounder, that was almost universally present in melee-based, historic warfare.

I believe the 19 year-old, who joined up for some college cash and the G.I. bill is not as properly equipped as someone who has the warrior fire and enlists for a combat arms position, for the sake of seeking an outlet for that. One of these two is going to have a better ability to cope with the emotional issues that evolve from war than the other, based on the nature, or inherent spirt, of the motivation to serve. That isn't to say that the hard-charging, squared-away, lightning pissing, thunder shitting guy has magical powers of war; the washout rate in the selection process is evident of this; however, once through that process, the individual who succeeds has shown mental strength.

That being said, just because someone isn't inherently blessed with the capability to deal with stressful situations easily, doesn't mean that some sort of training process shouldn't be available, or that this individual isn't capable of embarking successfully down the warrior's path. Encountering stress isn't something that one often gets the opportunity to take a vote on. Stressors come to you. The lightning pisser just happens to seek them out, indicating that, through exposure, and whatever he brings to the field, he is naturally more equipped to process that stress in a positive manner.

If a spiritual component can be brought into the military, as the essence of the thing itself, I believe soldiers could be more likely to see the importance of what they're doing, and have a true sense of esprit de corps, rather than just simply "high morale". When there's a spiritual connection to what one's duty is, said person is invincible, regardless of success or failure.

Every soldier should be given, at the very least, the option of this.

huklbrry
09-30-09, 20:26
Hit the nail right on the head, Landlord

Outlander Systems
09-30-09, 20:34
Pure Zen dude.

That IS pure Zen.

As well, you indicated the most difficult aspect of a systematic training process for the cultivation of this spirit.

Different things work for different people.

Quite simply illustrating that:

1) This mindset exists, and is attainable by anyone

2) The ability to posses it is self-determined

3) No one can "give" this gift to someone, but merely point them on the way

Can open up some minds to this possibility.

Once presented with the knowledge that there is an additional aspect to the way of the warrior, not regularly thought about, some of those who've been exposed to it may seek to further cultivate it. Some may not.

The critical component is getting the information out there, as I'm sure most 18 year olds aren't waxing on Bushido back on the block.

gruntinhusaybah
09-30-09, 23:33
I personnally think this is something that has been seriously lacking in the mil.
Maybe not meditation, but mental preperation, sure there are briefs and classes, but anyone who has been a pfc can tell you how much they pay attention to these.
I feel like I was pretty well prepared for what I was going to encounter, and I still see some of the effects of PTSD. I've been fortunate in that the effects I have seen in myself are pretty small.
While I agree that shooting is an amazing place to access that clarity of mind, while deployed it isnt a reality. For me it was reading, since I was a kid I enjoyed reading and I rediscovered it while I was deployed my first time, I read everything I could get my hands on, and I would dissapear into those words, there was nothing else at the time. And I think that helped me cope, I know for some it's prayer, some music, but what most are lacking is the focus that is needed to actually clear your mind and experience that"zen" state of mind.

mrtim250
10-01-09, 14:27
I'm gonna have ta agree here, something needs to be done to prepare these young men and women for war. No 2 ways around it, too many times I would see the guys who came from Nam just absolutely shot out. Quite a few years ago I was talking to a friend of mine who was not only suffering the effects of Agent Orange, but also had PTSD. I really felt sorry for the guy he had 2 hits against him, he went on to tell me that the hardest thing for him was to come back to the world, after his second tour. He had been in the bush 10 days or more, he was short to begin with, they were short a couple of guys so he was volunteered. Well, when his time was up it was up, one day he was squatting in the bush, the next he was on a plane back to the world. He was still in his stinking fatigues, had his buddies guts still on em, he winds up on the west coast, and in a matter of days is a civilian again.

He wasn't given any type of evaluation, counseling, nada, nothing. If steps can be taken before, then by all means lets do it. Now then having said this, I also think that a person has his or her own amount of mental toughness in them. But, like any thing else it needs training. Just as you trained with the M-16/A1.2,3,4 which ever one you trained with you developed your skill with that weapon. Think of your mental toughness as a weapon of sorts, you develop your skill with that weapon.

Personally, I've been through some shit, especially in my LEO days that, well lets just say that the dreams aren't too bad now, as long as I don't dwell on some things past I'm OK. Also, I think I've had to have a certain amount of faith in dealing with a major chronic pain disease. I can honestly say that this pain is not for pussies. There are certain things I can do to kind of tune out the pain, not just the drugs, they help, but there are some days where I can't get out of bed I hurt so bad, but I do, cause I know that there are things that may need to be done. I guess a certain amount of spirituality goes along with it, there are some mind tricks I've learned over the years. I've also found that certain types of distractions also work, shooting for one although I have to watch how much time I spend standing, if I don't then I'll play hell just walking the next day.

If it helps our troops, even in some small way, I say do it. If it makes him/her better soldier, sailor, marine, airman, then why not, something is better than nothing, gonna have ta hide in the bushes and see what happens on this one.

mrtim250

Failure2Stop
10-01-09, 16:14
I just want to throw in a small note-
Mental management for coping with the after-effects of stress, to relax, and/or to escape for a moment from a difficult reality IS NOT the same thing as building a Warrior/Combat Mindset. They may share some aspects, but they are very different in intent and purpose.

mrtim250
10-01-09, 18:33
I'm not saying they' re the same thing, that was not my intent nor my purpose. If the program started at Bragg works then why not implement it through out all the branches of the military. I was merely stating what sometimes works for my particular situation. Having stared down the barrel of a weapon waiting for B/U to arrive, being shot, shot at, cut, not to mention the whack that the convict got in on me, kinda gives one some mental toughness. At least I know it did for me.

Failure2Stop
10-01-09, 19:07
I'm not saying they' re the same thing, that was not my intent nor my purpose.

My note was not directed toward anyone in particular, but rather the concept and method as a whole. There have been several points in various posts that discuss preparation for combat which can imply different things with regard to mentality, mental toughness, and mental strategies that may not have anything to do with each other.

I am in no way attempting to censor anyone, but rather ensuring that the topic of discussion is what the article is about, and not what we want the article to be about, unless specified and explained.

This is an important topic, and well-meaning but poorly explained thoughts on the matter can give implications on end-product that are not true.

RogerinTPA
10-01-09, 20:28
There was a book I read years ago "In search of the Warrior Spirit" about a guy who had a black belt aikido, who also is a psychologist, teaching the concept, by invitation, to an SF A Team back in the 80s. It was a pretty good read if I recall. I'll have to dig it out and give it a second read.

BAC
10-01-09, 20:57
For what it's worth, repeated exposure to high-stress, super-intense training doesn't build "mental toughness" as much as it builds "mental callouses". Habituation is not something you want on the battlefield, because it means you're growing used to "it" and by definition implies a diminished focus; this is why awareness is something that folks often need to be reminded about. You keep taking the knife to the chopping block and the blade's going to eventually settle into a sturdier, less-sharp form. This "zen" training, however it's achieved, is supposed to keep the knife sharp.

-B

BLACK LION
10-02-09, 10:58
Pure Zen dude.

+2

One shot from behind my .50 will knock a whole month of stress off my shoulders... :)