PDA

View Full Version : Brief review of Boresight Solutions Glock 17 2nd Gen

adh
09-26-09, 17:06
This is my 2nd glock done up for me by Ben @ Boresight Solutions
http://boresightsolutions.com/
First was a Gen III G19. In my quest to find the right/best handgun for me, I decided to try out the Glock. I first got myself a Gen III G17. I liked it a lot, but it just didn't point right for me. May sound goofy, but that's the best way I can describe it. I had read so many good reviews of the G19 that I traded my G17 for the 19 thinking this may solve my problem. No such luck. The 19 was, for me, even worse. The finger groves and trigger guard just sucked for me. I found Boresight here on M4carbine.net. I emailed Ben and we spoke on the phone back and forth and I decided to get a basic grip reduction and stippling on my G19. HUGE difference! But, I new that I'd still prefer a full size weapon. After that, I stumbled across a good deal on a G17 (police trade ins on Buds Gun Shop dot com). I ended up getting two G17s (one a 2 pin Gen III and the other a Gen II). I bought these with the intent of sending them to Boresight Soultions. Now having both a Gen II and another Gen III, I found without the finger groves, the Gen II was immediately better than the Gen III. Not perfect, but way better than the Gen III. I preferred the feel of the Gen II so much that I sent this to Ben first. If funds would have allowed, I would have sent both at once. Again, I spoke to Ben and decided that for this Gen II I was going to have the trigger guard work done so I can get a higher grip and texturing with minimal to no reduction in the grip. This came about to be as close to perfection in what I want/need in a handgun. I can't wait to get the $$$ to get my Gen III done. So here's the results:

Before:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/adh_adh/Guns010.jpg

After:
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/adh_adh/BoresightSolutionsGenIIG17002.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/adh_adh/BoresightSolutionsGenIIG17003.jpg
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd192/adh_adh/BoresightSolutionsGenIIG17004.jpg

I had sent the original mag release in with the Gen II but received the TD/Vickers mag release while Ben was working on this. Ben did include his texturing on the original mag release.

Also, the Warrens were installed for me by Got M4. I would have sent them to Ben for install, but I was undecided on sights when I sent Ben the frame and had kept the slide while deciding what sights I wanted to use. Got M4 installed the plain black rear/tritium front Warrens on both my G17 slides.

DocH
09-28-09, 09:52
The thinning of the trigger guard looks good,and would be an improvement on any of the Glocks. Very nice job all around.:) I'm thinking of trying out a set of Warren's in the same combination on one of my 19's. Nice photos.

adh
09-28-09, 10:04
The thinning of the trigger guard looks good,and would be an improvement on any of the Glocks.

Very true...that was one consistent problem for me with Glocks. The knuckle of my middle finger would just drive up into the trigger guard, hence pushing my hand lower.

Gentle Ben
10-05-09, 18:32
thanks for the review and feedback, and of course, your repeat business!:D

M4arc
10-05-09, 19:07
Very nice! Ben does great work.

adh
10-05-09, 20:14
thanks for the review and feedback, and of course, your repeat business!:D

Ben,

All well deserved. As will be the additional busines you get when I have the funds for the Gen III G17.

Thanks for the stellar service!

Andrew

Gentle Ben
10-18-09, 14:21
Ben,

All well deserved. As will be the additional busines you get when I have the funds for the Gen III G17.

Thanks for the stellar service!

Andrew

Hey bro, I'm going to have a new website up 'soon' (when my web designer and I can coordinate our schedules), with a huge gallery of photos (labeled with the model of gun & type of mods done to it). I'd like to use your pics, if you don't mind.

adh
10-18-09, 16:06
Feel free......You ready to receive my Gen III G17? I am ready to send it to you....Also got a couple of those Essencia cigars for you as well.

kmrtnsn
10-18-09, 16:27
I am keeping an eye out for a department trade in G17 that I can send to Ben for a little massaging.

Gentle Ben
10-18-09, 19:54
Feel free......You ready to receive my Gen III G17? I am ready to send it to you....Also got a couple of those Essencia cigars for you as well.

Sure, send it my way. Looking forward to the cigars too. ;)

Gentle Ben
10-18-09, 19:57
I am keeping an eye out for a department trade in G17 that I can send to Ben for a little massaging.

If you get a line on any, let me know after you score one for yourself. I've been looking to pick up a bunch of them, because a lot of guys want to buy a gun from me, fully customized. Right now I have quite a few new Glock 19s in stock for that purpose, but I'd like to be able to offer customers a lower-priced alternative. I was a day late and a dollar short on a recent LE dept Glock purge in my area. :(

M4arc
10-18-09, 20:32
If you get a line on any, let me know after you score one for yourself. I've been looking to pick up a bunch of them, because a lot of guys want to buy a gun from me, fully customized. Right now I have quite a few new Glock 19s in stock for that purpose, but I'd like to be able to offer customers a lower-priced alternative. I was a day late and a dollar short on a recent LE dept Glock purge in my area. :(

Guys, email Mark @ summitgunbroker.com. He has some second gen pistols listed on his website: http://www.summitgunbroker.com/1838356.html

SeriousStudent
10-18-09, 21:17
Agreed - Mark is a stand-up guy. I have bought four pistols from him. All four have been in better than advertised shape, and worked without issues. His prices are very reasonable, as well.

Gentle Ben
10-18-09, 21:48
thanks gents. good to know.

kmrtnsn
10-18-09, 21:58
Ben, do you have the ability to add a Picatinny rail to the Gen II pistols?

Gentle Ben
10-19-09, 09:47
yes. I can either add an aftermarket rail to the dustover, or I can inlet the dustcover with horizontal grooves and a cross slot that will allow a light, such as an X300, to be mounted.

for more specifics, email me: info@boresightsolutions.com

adh
10-19-09, 13:43
yes. I can either add an aftermarket rail to the dustover, or I can inlet the dustcover with horizontal grooves and a cross slot that will allow a light, such as an X300, to be mounted.

for more specifics, email me: info@boresightsolutions.com

Would love to see a photo of one that you've inlet the dustcover on. May end up sending the Gen II back to you for some more work:D

Gentle Ben
10-19-09, 15:23
I'll be honest and say that I haven't inletted one yet. I did a grip job recently for a local customer, and on the gun he'd inletted the dustcover himself. It was a crude job, so I cleaned it up for him a bit with my tools. However, now that I've seen it done and worked on his a bit, I know I could do it. PM sent, ADH. ;)