PDA

View Full Version : How do you keep the lens on your light clean?

gruntinhusaybah
09-26-09, 21:55
I just started shooting USPSA matches, and some fun steel matches and noticed that the lens of my x300 gets so dirty it's more or less ineffective.
Is there a way to prevent this?
I'm shooting a Glock 17 and american eagle 115 gr ball ammo

thanks

John_Wayne777
09-26-09, 22:04
Using a car wax that dries clear helps prevent the carbon from sticking. Vaseline spread thinly on the lens will also help.

gruntinhusaybah
09-26-09, 22:10
do you have a car wax you can recommend?
I'll try the vasaline for the match tomorrow, do either of these distort the output of the light at all?

thanks

John_Wayne777
09-27-09, 00:09
Car wax does not. Vaseline might if you put it on too thick.

Personally I use Meguiar's NXT wax (available at most auto parts stores like Advance Auto) because it dries clear. If you apply a few coats before a match it should help keep the carbon from welding to the lens.

cfrazier
09-27-09, 04:51
Pencil eraser is the quickest way to clean.

civilian
09-27-09, 23:39
I use a pencil eraser, but to make things easier I have a dedicated training/range light, and a dedicated travel light. In my case I'm using TLR-1's which makes that a little easier on the wallet, but allows me to run the same light in training and on my carry rig, without having to worry about the carry light taking all the recoil and dirt that comes with my average of 700 or so weekly rounds.

stony275
09-28-09, 00:07
I make sure to clean the lens with a Zeiss lens wipe at the end of each shooting day. Letting the deposited smoke harden overnight can be a real pain to remove I've heard.

skyugo
09-28-09, 00:32
anybody make some kind of lens cap? might be handy for when you want to get used to shooting with the light on, but aren't actually in the dark.

Icculus
09-28-09, 13:52
anybody make some kind of lens cap? might be handy for when you want to get used to shooting with the light on, but aren't actually in the dark.

Blue painters tape?

Detmongo
09-28-09, 17:21
i just put a little clp on the lens befor shooting. all the crap wipes off with no issues.

Patrick Aherne
09-28-09, 19:29
Drop of gun oil smeared on the lens before you shoot makes it easy to clean off.

NCPatrolAR
09-28-09, 20:10
Drop of gun oil smeared on the lens before you shoot makes it easy to clean off.

This is how I do it

LockenLoad
09-28-09, 20:44
wonder how rainx might work, they have it in wipes too, shot in the dark here have never used disclaimer added :p

tex45acp
09-29-09, 07:10

I would think that this for a handgun scope would work fine.
http://www.butler-creek.com/products/scopes_tini_bikini.html

http://img01.static-nextag.com/image/Butler-Creek-Tini-Bikini/0/000/000/634/309/63430928.jpg

SecretNY
09-29-09, 22:15
After I shoot, I clean the lens with a little toothpaste on the end of a Q-tip. The lens shines like a crystal with little force. Plus it smells great too!!!

YammyMonkey
09-30-09, 00:03
I clean mine with WD-40 & then leave a thin coat on for next time. If go more than a couple weeks between range trips I'll re-coat with the WD. No issues with output/streaking/etc.

El Cid
09-30-09, 20:35
I don't prepare my light with anything, though I've considered it. After shooting, I clean it with MAAS polish. Find it in the grocery store next to Brasso and other similar products. Works like a charm.

gruntinhusaybah
09-30-09, 23:49
thanks for all the input guys, I tried the vasaline on sundays IDPA match and it worked fine, the pencil eraser to clean it off worked pretty well and I'm now going to try the toothpaste(who figures out these kinda things?)
and I plan to try a bit of oil/lube tomorrow night.

This was one of those "no S#!%" type problems, I never even thought of it until it was there in front of me.

Jerm
10-11-09, 14:56
My kids have about half a dozen of these cheap little lights they sell in the checkout lane at Wally(a buck and some change IIRC)...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VHF4YO

I recently discovered the various caps fit the X300 perfectly.I've yet to try them at the range but they go on pretty tight.I put several of the caps i've picked up off the floor(that i havent stepped on) in the range bag to try out.

Lotsa themes to choose from.I'm partial to the Toy Story characters.:D

They're plastic so i wouldnt recommend running the light for very long with one on.

Doggiecop
10-13-09, 23:07
CLP works for me as well.

TSorrell
10-15-09, 23:50
Vinegar on a soft patch works well for cleaning the lens.