PDA

View Full Version : Specific Q about sling/support side shooting

Veracity
09-26-09, 23:12
Guys,

I've got a VCAS and I like it.

Ever since I began using it, I tend to make sure that there's enough play in it so that, if I have to, I can transition to support side.

Here's the thing:

I'd much rather wear the sling a bit tighter (have the buttstock higher on my chest) but if I do that, I cannot shoot support side.

Yes, I know the VCAS is adjustable! I just cannot find any middle ground. What do you guys do with regard to your sling and support side shooting?

I'm signed up for another class this fall and I figured I'd ask around.

John_Wayne777
09-26-09, 23:38
Running out the sling to give some slack is taught by the guy who invented that sling, so it's a viable technique.

Alternately you can drop your support arm out of the sling and basically use the sling as a neck loop.

YVK
09-26-09, 23:46
A gent who designed VCAS teaches to adjust that sling the way you'd like for strong side shooting, and pull back on that tab and release sling during transitions. That's what I do, although I slightly changed sequence of steps during transition for myself.

P.S. My Mac froze and then JW777 beat me to it.

Failure2Stop
09-27-09, 06:58
The purpose of a sling (other than marksmanship aid slings) is to retain the long-gun during a transition to a secondary or when both hands are needed for something. The position of stock during movement are duties for the hands and arms. The weight of the weapon should not be on the sling except when relaxed and/or using the sling to keep the weapon attached to the body.

Now, you can let the sling do the job of your hands but you are going to have to make compromises. Compromises like- the sling not letting you transition shoulders, or tuck the gun into the index without running the buckle out.

Norone
09-28-09, 12:41
Great post FTS.
Sometimes I just say to hell with it and just let the sling hang around my neck.:cool:

Veracity
09-28-09, 15:32
The purpose of a sling (other than marksmanship aid slings) is to retain the long-gun during a transition to a secondary or when both hands are needed for something. The position of stock during movement are duties for the hands and arms. The weight of the weapon should not be on the sling except when relaxed and/or using the sling to keep the weapon attached to the body.

Now, you can let the sling do the job of your hands but you are going to have to make compromises. Compromises like- the sling not letting you transition shoulders, or tuck the gun into the index without running the buckle out.

Great post.

Thanks!

CAPT KIRK
11-01-09, 16:05
I use a 2 point adjustable sling in the following way, and it makes for transitions that will rival a single point sling.

Mount the front end of the sling in your usual favorite position on the fore stock etc.

Now for the trick... Mount the rear end of the sling on a rear reciever mount made for a single point. You can now just flip your stock over the top of the sling to either side.

Strong Side

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/P6290006.jpg

Support Side

http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo355/DEPKIRK/P6290004.jpg

No loosening slings or dropping the support side arm through only to have the rear part of the sling dragging across the front of your throat.

YVK
11-01-09, 17:58
That's how I've always attached the rear point of my 2-pt slings. However, if I let sling out to give me enough slack to transition shoulders [without additional loosening], then the carbine hangs too low for me.

ejeffreyhorn
11-01-09, 20:36
I run a VCAS as well and have done a bit of experimentation on a setup that allows for quick reaction side shooting transitions.I shoot right handed and attach rear of the sling to the right side of my emod. This configuration:

1. Allows me to transition to reaction side without dropping my left arm out of the sling.
2. Helps avoid the sling-around-the-neck/choking that can happen when switching to the reaction side.
3. Took 2-3 inches out of the sling length as compared to mounting on the reaction/support side.
4. Requires no adjustments to the sling length with the adjuster on the sling during transitions
5. Leaves the end of the buttstock just above mid-chest (on my 5'11" frame)
6. Has the added benefit of keeping the sling out of my cheek weld area when shooting normal weapon side.

You didn't specify what kind of stock you are using, but if you have attachment points on both sides, you might want to try that. Where the rifle hangs is going to be dependent upon your frame but it's worth a try.

CAPT KIRK
11-03-09, 14:08
That's how I've always attached the rear point of my 2-pt slings. However, if I let sling out to give me enough slack to transition shoulders [without additional loosening], then the carbine hangs too low for me.

I agree totally with your assesment. I us the Viking Tactics sling now for just that reason. This sling adjusts so quickly and easily it is no longer an issue.