PDA

View Full Version : Draw your blinds and close your curtains

alvincullumyork
09-27-09, 02:36
Went to the gun show today wanting to buy an ak. I found one yay. I then came home met up with a friend from out of town and we went to the game. Beavers lost boo. Anyway when I got from the game I was anxious to play with my new toy, especially since this was my first ak. I tore it apart put it back together again and started toying with mag changes and sling configurations. I did all this in my living room with the blinds open, I didn't think it was a big deal until I got a knock on the door at midnight. Thinking it was my roommates I went to the door with my new ak. When I got to the door before I even opened it I was told very firmly but politely to, "Put the gun DOWN!" So I looked out the window and their was a police officer so I put the gun down and opened the door. Apparently someone walking down the sidewalk saw me doing mag changes and called the police.

So here is my question what are some of the things you have seen through the windows and what are some of the things you have been seen doing with the blinds open?

kaiservontexas
09-27-09, 02:56
I am sure my neighbor has had a show or two. ;) Sometimes it is not a matter of closed or open but up or down for where the blinds are facing. LOL

Ak44
09-27-09, 02:56
Haven't been seen doing anything as I always keep the blinds down. Funny story though! My buddy who owns a gunshop parked his car by the building where his business is and walked through the door with his M-60 (He's a 07 SOT). About 15 minutes later several police officers come walking through his door and they asked if everything was alright. Someone apparently called 911 saying that there was a man with an AK47 walking into a business...:D

FromMyColdDeadHand
09-27-09, 04:08
At what point are people being peeping-toms, legally? If visible from a public place?

bkb0000
09-27-09, 04:32
wow... that's so retarded i cant stand it. i assume you live in Portland...?

what did you do? what did he (they) do?

i don't know how i'd react to a cop at my door telling me to put a gun down. i strongly suspect the words "****" and "off" would escape my mouth pretty much right away... at which point things would probably get stoopid really fast.

im so glad i live in columbia county.

to answer the question- what have i seen? not a single interesting thing i can think of. but i'm pretty sure every one of my neighbors has seen me naked- i just dont even really think about it, and all of the sudden my wife will spew coffee and shriek "ben! the freaken windows are open and there's little kids right out front!"

actually, i'm kinda surprised i havent ever had the cops called on me before... haw!

cfrazier
09-27-09, 04:40
No one has the right to look into your home, even if they can see in from a public street. People have the expectation of privacy at anytime they are within there homes.

alvincullumyork
09-27-09, 05:12
I actually live in Corvallis (student). The cop was nice even bs ed a little with me about the scarcity of ammo.

If I can see it from my property or public land you can't tell someone they can't look. If you don't want to be seen built a bigger fence.

ZDL
09-27-09, 05:29
wow... that's so retarded i cant stand it. i assume you live in Portland...?

what did you do? what did he (they) do?

i don't know how i'd react to a cop at my door telling me to put a gun down. i strongly suspect the words "****" and "off" would escape my mouth pretty much right away... at which point things would probably get stoopid really fast.

im so glad i live in columbia county.

to answer the question- what have i seen? not a single interesting thing i can think of. but i'm pretty sure every one of my neighbors has seen me naked- i just dont even really think about it, and all of the sudden my wife will spew coffee and shriek "ben! the freaken windows are open and there's little kids right out front!"

actually, i'm kinda surprised i havent ever had the cops called on me before... haw!

Badassery rite thur son! :rolleyes:

Please, do this and report back.

It's a similar situation to the professor gates saga. Public calls, police respond. Whether it ends in a handshake, a laugh, and a "sorry we bothered you" or an ass beating (at the minimum) because you answer the door with a weapon and tell them "**** off" when they tell you to put the weapon down, is entirely up to you.

You have no idea what the call came in as. Put your ass behind windshield of a police car for a few nights. Show me how your intellect and problem solving skills are superior to other officers. Show me how you, who has not only a job to do in solving the issue you were dispatched too safely, but also a family waiting at home, deals with some ass hat answering the door with an AK telling you "**** off". You don't know if it was an "in progress" call, if their has been a rash of burglaries in the area, etc. etc. etc.

From the information we have from the op, the officers where in a legal place doing a legal thing. Beating your chest here impresses no one, tough guy. After 6 billion posts, I figured you would have picked up on that.

I'm not. My assumption is you are completely different in person.

OP: Sounds like you did the right thing given that you answered the door.
Answering the door with a weapon is NOT a bad idea at all. My suggestions, not that you need them, is to ID who's outside your door BEFORE you open it. And, if you don't want to talk to the person(s) on the other side, including the cops, don't answer.

What have I seen........ because you made me think about it, quite a bit.

What have I been seen doing.... that I can ID as being "caught", only 1 thing. Realizing later what I MIGHT have been caught doing....... :o

I once had to change clothes in the car. Normally, in my truck, it's not a big deal. (sounds like I do this often..... lol) I happened to be in my wife's car this time. This was a full on change of wardrobe. I figured, stay moving, check my mirrors, make sure no one gets up beside me, I should be good. Damn if I don't get an f-ing red light just as I'm about to pull my pants up over my ass. Yup, traffic, either side. I'm shirtless at this point as well. Sorta looked choreographed as everyone around me put their cell phones to their ear at the same time while still staring at the naked loon in the car. To this day I don't if they were embarrassed and that was a way of dealing with it or they were calling all their friends to talk about this f-ing dipshit sitting next to them naked in a BMW. By then, I'm at the point of no return so..... I lift my ass our of the seat smashing my junk up on the steering wheel, pull my pants over my ass, and get my shirt on.

......does this count?

alvincullumyork
09-27-09, 05:48
Ya cops have it hard and if I can make them feel safe or make them safe in anyway I'll do what I can even if it's an inconvience for me.

Aspiring nudist huh. Well to each their own. That's hilarious. I have done the driving wardobe change as well but never had to take off the underwear and I don't think I was seen.

RogerinTPA
09-27-09, 07:10
To the OP, it's a public perception/safety issue. No one but you, knows you just bought an AK. Since you decided to play with it where the GP can see you, they may have thought you were about to go postal and shoot up the neighborhood or kill someone in your residence. Perception is reality.

blhar15
09-27-09, 07:25
I always keep any firearms out of sight of anyone around. There are way to many people that do not understand guns and do not like them. I cannot begin to tell you how many calls I have been on because someone saw a gun and it turned out to be an Airsoft or BB gun.

Bill Bryant
09-27-09, 09:52
I try to imagine this event happening in South Dakota where I live. "911, what's your emergency?" "I was just peeping into the window of this ranch house, and I saw this guy playing with a gun!" "OK, we're sending an officer out right now to arrest you for trespassing. I hope the rancher doesn't have a daughter, because if he does, the police may not have time to get there before you get shot."

Safetyhit
09-27-09, 10:03
...I have been on because someone saw a gun and it turned out to be an Airsoft or BB gun.

These days you might as well consider an airsoft gun as much of a liability as a real firearm in regard to public exposure. Not even worth the aggravation here in NJ.

I got my son an airsoft Beretta 92 (that he only shoots while supervised my me and wearing goggles) which we often use to shoot paper targets here in our home. Yet as relatively harmless as the thing is overall, taking it outside is just not a good idea unless we keep ourselves close to the house where no one can really see us.

QuietShootr
09-27-09, 10:10
Went to the gun show today wanting to buy an ak. I found one yay. I then came home met up with a friend from out of town and we went to the game. Beavers lost boo. Anyway when I got from the game I was anxious to play with my new toy, especially since this was my first ak. I tore it apart put it back together again and started toying with mag changes and sling configurations. I did all this in my living room with the blinds open, I didn't think it was a big deal until I got a knock on the door at midnight. Thinking it was my roommates I went to the door with my new ak. When I got to the door before I even opened it I was told very firmly but politely to, "Put the gun DOWN!" So I looked out the window and their was a police officer so I put the gun down and opened the door. Apparently someone walking down the sidewalk saw me doing mag changes and called the police.

So here is my question what are some of the things you have seen through the windows and what are some of the things you have been seen doing with the blinds open?

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think you need to hear it. I don't mean to offend, I'm trying to help.

Stupid ass. Why would you have guns in view of the street under any circumstances? AND, why would you ever have blinds/curtains open at night?

Bill Bryant
09-27-09, 10:14
Why would you have guns in view of the street under any circumstances? I try to imagine what Thomas Jefferson would think about this statement. The Republic has changed a lot since those days.

QuietShootr
09-27-09, 10:20
I try to imagine what Thomas Jefferson would think about this statement. The Republic has changed a lot since those days.

Thomas Jefferson is probably spinning in his grave so fast you could use him to generate 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.

And my wife should be able to walk downtown at 2:00AM in a miniskirt and heels without getting broken open like a 12ga over-and-under, but she can't.

The fact is, if you live in a place where you have passers-by so close that they can see in your windows, you shouldn't be playing with your guns/wife/dick in view of those windows. Someone's going to call the man, and one good principle to live by in America 2009 is Don't Invite The Man Into Your Life.

Safetyhit
09-27-09, 10:23
Stupid ass. Why would you have guns in view of the street under any circumstances? AND, why would you ever have blinds/curtains open at night?

Stupid Ass? Can you show us your local ordinance stating it is illegal to allow your guns to be seen through the window of your own home? Maybe even give us your breakdown as to the danger perceived by the real stupid ass peeping through the window. Maybe something like this...

911 Caller: "Ahhh, there is a man in a house, and umm, he has a gun. I think something is wrong, can you get out here right away?"

Next question posed by dispatch should be: "Well, ok, is he doing anything dangerous or threatening anyone?"

Just because some real stupid ass on the street over-reacts to nothing doesn't mean the man with the gun in his own home is an idiot. Yes, I try to keep mine from being seen as well, but that doesn't mean I should have to.

QuietShootr
09-27-09, 10:32
Stupid Ass? Can you show us your local ordinance stating it is illegal to allow your guns to be seen through the window of your own home? Maybe even give us your breakdown as to the danger perceived by the real stupid ass peeping through the window. Maybe something like this...

911 Caller: "Ahhh, there is a man in a house, and umm, he has a gun. I think something is wrong, can you get out here right away?"

Next question posed by dispatch should be: "Well, ok, is he doing anything dangerous or threatening anyone?"

Just because some real stupid ass on the street over-reacts to nothing doesn't mean the man with the gun in his own home is an idiot. Yes, I try to keep mine from being seen as well, but that doesn't mean I should have to.

I'm not arguing whether you SHOULD have to, I think it's ****ed up that you should have to.

You live in New Jersey. What do you suppose is going to happen if you open your blinds and start playing with an AR in view of the street? I know what would have happened when I lived in New Jersey. It's wrong as hell, but it is what it is.

Forgetting about the cops for a minute, do you want every mutt walking by on the street to see your gun collection?

Business_Casual
09-27-09, 10:33
I think this vividly illustrates the impasse at which our nation has arrived.

Either we have rights, and can exercise them freely, or we don't and we must curtail them to please the busy-bodies and the police state.

M_P

John_Wayne777
09-27-09, 10:45

Probably, which is why you should always assert your rights in as professional and courteous a manner as possible.

Misunderstandings happen, people, and when they do giving the officer the "**** off, pig!" routine is not, I repeat not going to improve the outcome. Ever.

The sage advice in this thread is that while some things may be a god-given right, there's a way to go about exercising them that decreases the chances of an unpleasant interaction with law enforcement. If I saw my neighbor playing with an AK it wouldn't bother me in the least. The world, however, is not made up of people like me. That's just a reality we have to deal with in modern America.

This thread is going to end up in a train wreck, so I'm pulling the hand brake now.

Iraqgunz
09-27-09, 14:16
Let me throw my .02 cents in as well. Why is it in these threads people have to start off right away with the dick measuring?

Yes, we live in a "free" republic. But, let's face it. This is not 1870 and there are many people who are not comfortable with firearms. Add to this the media frenzy everytime we have a shooting and their complete disregard for reporting the facts and you can see why someone who may have seen something as they passed by on the public street freaked out and reported it.

If the police are wrong or **** up, I am all about holding them accountable but using common sense can anyone seriously say that they acted out of line? I can't.

I remember an incident I was involved in, in California several years ago. The two CHP officers in question were unprofessional and their story for why I was stopped was bullshit. I could have been an asshole and told them to **** off. That would have probably earned my a night in jail for obstruction or led to something worse. Instead, I made them understand that I knew my rights and though I made it clear that I wouldn't just fold in.

The whole point is there are times that people are justified in taking a stand and asserting their rights. There are also times when one has to put the shoe on the other foot and think about what they would do in a similar situation.

Probably, which is why you should always assert your rights in as professional and courteous a manner as possible.

Misunderstandings happen, people, and when they do giving the officer the "**** off, pig!" routine is not, I repeat not going to improve the outcome. Ever.

The sage advice in this thread is that while some things may be a god-given right, there's a way to go about exercising them that decreases the chances of an unpleasant interaction with law enforcement. If I saw my neighbor playing with an AK it wouldn't bother me in the least. The world, however, is not made up of people like me. That's just a reality we have to deal with in modern America.

This thread is going to end up in a train wreck, so I'm pulling the hand brake now.