PDA

View Full Version : Plated buckshot in gel

SnakeLogan
09-27-09, 10:10
I'm considering switching my HD load from unplated 12 pellet buckshot (Remington and Winchester) to plated 12 pellet buck (Wincester Supreme).

Doc, or any other experts on here, how many inches of penetration in 10% gel would you expect the pellets to average?

CJFirefly
09-28-09, 08:30
I'm considering switching my HD load from unplated 12 pellet buckshot (Remington and Winchester) to plated 12 pellet buck (Wincester Supreme).

Doc, or any other experts on here, how many inches of penetration in 10% gel would you expect the pellets to average?

I'm not sure if this helps you at all, but the Federal 12 gauge Tactical 00 buckshot load with flite control wad (and copper plated buckshot at 1325 fps) travels 25" into gel. The low recoil version at 1145 fps travels 23.25" into gel.

It would seem that if the Winchester load you are thinking of using is plated 00 buck and traveling roughly the same fps then penetration should be similar to the Federal load. Have you tried any Federal buckshot with the flite control wad yet? It patterns excellent in the shotguns I've shot it out of.

Glock17JHP
09-28-09, 13:43
I made the same switch to plated 12-pellet 00 Buck (Winchester Supreme) maybe 5+ years back. More recently, however, I made the switch from that to 'Low-Recoil' hardened 9-pellet 00 Buck (Winchester Ranger). You may want to skip past the plated 00 Buck to the hardened 'Low-Recoil' loads... ;)

SnakeLogan
10-03-09, 09:35
I made the same switch to plated 12-pellet 00 Buck (Winchester Supreme) maybe 5+ years back.

Thanks for the reply. What made you want to make the switch to plated?

Glock17JHP
10-06-09, 00:14
With buckshot you want consistency... with any load, actually...

You get more consistency as you move from un-plated to plated shot... and when you add buffering and a better shotcup, too...

You get an even greater jump in consistency when you go to truly 'hardened' buckshot, too... it all leads to less deformation of the pellets, and that helps them perform better (more consistently)...