PDA

View Full Version : Preparation on a budget

Pages : [1] 2 3

PA PATRIOT
09-26-09, 06:12
We often hear how people pour thousands of dollars into SHTF gear buying the very best there is, now in todays economy most people are laid off, reduced working hours with ever mounting bills. So with a very limited SHTF budget say $1500.00 lets see what we can put together to help are fellow SHTF brothers and sisters survive in bad times. Lets not make this a wish list but what $1500.00 would actually buy in todays market.

Just the basics

If you See A Good Deal on Items which can be used in times of need then POST it up in this thread

Outlander Systems
09-26-09, 07:26
Having been furloughed 20 hours a week, my income has been reduced in half, and prospects for getting back on 40 are looking extremely slim.

$1500 could assemble a very good amount of food. My actual preps primarily focus on food, and all else is secondary. I typically buy food with a long shelf life, that I normally eat, or wouldn't mind eating.

Yesterday I bought 35 lbs of spaghetti for $21.00. A grocery store chain here in the Southeast was running a BOGO on Ronzoni. I may go back and get some more today.

Also, the best deal on Rice is at COSTCO, where a 50 lb bag will set you bag a measly $15.00. I've been buying those when I get a chance, and stuffing them in Paint Buckets. At WAL*MART, the 5 gallon plastic paint buckets are approximately $4.00, and can hold roughly 30-35 lbs of rice. The best lids for these buckets are available at Home Depot, as the HD lids have rubber o-rings. If you go to the paint department at WAL*MART, the white 5-gallon buckets ARE food-grade, they're just not marketed as such.

At $15.00 for 50 lbs of rice, you can hoard a ton of the stuff, and if you are working with a budget of $1500.00, it will barely put a dent in it.

The good thing about prepping is that I'm still eating food I got at the end of '07/beginning of '08, that's still a year out from expiration.

When you see how quickly prices go up, you can really appreciate the stockpiling factor. I bought canned Chicken of the Sea albacore for $0.65 back in '07, and the prices have gone up in a ridiculous way, making me truly appreciate buying as much as I did.

Despite not nearly having enough 5.56 ammo on hand, gun stuff is taking a back seat to food, medical/first-aid supplies, etc.

I used to be able to get lamp oil at the 'Mart, but they've since stopped carrying the Lamplighter brand in the giant bottles. It was insane cheap, and that was my only supplier of such, thusly I'm thinking I'm stuck with what I've got on hand.

I was fortunate to be able to get my emergency candles at $1.00 for 10, but it's been awhile since I've seen those as well.

The 'Mart has the best prices on Mountain House, as well, but the selection isn't anything close to REI's.

My brother manages to beat me out on "doomer deals", hands down. He picked up a Windmill Trekker for $5.00, an in-line Camelbak water filter for $9.00, an Aquastar UV filter for $5.00, and a CFP-90 for $30, among other insane bargains.

ETA: If you're staying on a budget, shopping deals, sales, and using coupons is mandatory. Here in the SE, there is an awesome site that acts as a pre-mission briefing on hitting the grocery stores like an apocalyptic commando:

http://www.southernsavers.com/

perna
09-26-09, 08:31
WOW!!! Nice site, thanks for posting it!

All the grocery stores here email their weekly specials every week. I normally only shop at 1 store, I only go somewhere else if they have real good deals and more than 1 good deal. Like when they have 4/$1 for canned vegetables or tuna.

But back to the original post, food and water are the most important things when you are on a budget.

00leland00
09-26-09, 21:19
Something you can do that costs practically nothing is work on your skill sets. Fire building, snares/traps, morse code, etc. Taking all of your important documents and copying to a zip drive. Any good manuals or general shtf type information you find on the net can be printed off and hard copies saved for when the power goes out and might not be back on for a while.

MarshallDodge
09-26-09, 22:09
I tend to be a bit of a scrounger.

A couple months ago I was helping move some stuff at my office building and the manager was getting rid of two generators. I got one running, the other needs some work on the electrical side, probably brushes.

I picked up a slightly used 2000 watt inverter for $10 and am looking for some used golf cart batteries so that I don't have to run the genny full time.

My wife shops the sales. She picked up Life cereal for $1 a box the other day and maxed out the 10 box limit. Check out the clearance isle at your grocery store, they always have some good sales similar to what The Landlord found.

I found her a Magic Mill at the pawn shop for $125. The same models are going for $450 on Ebay. We have ground corn, wheat, rice, and dried beans in it for different recipes. Dry goods are really cheap. Typically less than $10 for 50lbs of any of the above mentioned items.

We picked up 55 gallon soda syrup containers at the local bottling plant for $10 each. They needed rinsing a couple times to get the syrup out but once filled can be used for water storage.

You can start a garden for next to nothing. $50 would get you a couple tools, seeds, and some fertilizer.

If you can't afford an AR then get a shotgun. I have seen many deals on used Mossberg 500 and Remington 870 shotguns for $100-150. A couple boxes of 00 buck and a 100 pack of birdshot will get you started. You can defend your residence and bring home some game with it. As time goes on you can save up for something better but it will get you something that is reliable and will do the job.

A friend recently was cleaning out his garage recently and gave me a 12 gauge MEC press, wads, 50 pounds of shot, and about 10 pounds of powder. All it needs is some shells and primers and it's ready to go.

Start off with a 72 hour kit and work your way up from there. We started this a couple years ago and have amassed a huge amount of stuff by shopping around and having the cash in hand to snatch up the deal as it arose.

PA PATRIOT
09-26-09, 23:29
Here's how I list my priorities for a BUG-IN SHTF event,

Water: Collecting, Purifying, Storing

Food: Collecting, Preserving, Storing

Security: Firearm, Ammunition, Maintenance and Repair, Securing the BUG-IN Location

First AID: Kits for just about any emergency I can handle at my skill level

Basics: Clothing for the seasons, inside Solar/Battery run LED lighting at night, Heat for the winter

Secondary comfort items: A few items which reduce stress at extreme low cost.

PA PATRIOT
09-26-09, 23:35
From the FEMA Web Site.

http://www.fema.gov/plan/prepare/water.shtm#2

Simple, Next to no cost if you use the Soda Bottle Method, Easy to do.

How Much Water do I Need?
You should have at least a three-day supply of water and you should store at least one gallon of water per person per day. A normally active person needs at least one-half gallon of water daily just for drinking.

Additionally, in determining adequate quantities, take the following into account:

•Individual needs vary, depending on age, physical condition, activity, diet, and climate.
•Children, nursing mothers, and ill people need more water.
•Very hot temperatures can double the amount of water needed.
•A medical emergency might require additional water.

How Should I Store Water?
To prepare safest and most reliable emergency supply of water, it is recommended you purchase commercially bottled water. Keep bottled water in its original container and do not open it until you need to use it.

Observe the expiration or “use by” date.

If You are Preparing Your Own Containers of Water
It is recommended you purchase food-grade water storage containers from surplus or camping supplies stores to use for water storage. Before filling with water, thoroughly clean the containers with dish washing soap and water, and rinse completely so there is no residual soap. Follow directions below on filling the container with water.

If you choose to use your own storage containers, choose two-liter plastic soft drink bottles – not plastic jugs or cardboard containers that have had milk or fruit juice in them. Milk protein and fruit sugars cannot be adequately removed from these containers and provide an environment for bacterial growth when water is stored in them. Cardboard containers also leak easily and are not designed for long-term storage of liquids. Also, do not use glass containers, because they can break and are heavy.

If storing water in plastic soda bottles, follow these steps
Thoroughly clean the bottles with dish washing soap and water, and rinse completely so there is no residual soap.Sanitize the bottles by adding a solution of 1 teaspoon of non-scented liquid household chlorine bleach to a quart of water. Swish the sanitizing solution in the bottle so that it touches all surfaces. After sanitizing the bottle, thoroughly rinse out the sanitizing solution with clean water.

Filling Water Containers
Fill the bottle to the top with regular tap water. If the tap water has been commercially treated from a water utility with chlorine, you do not need to add anything else to the water to keep it clean. If the water you are using comes from a well or water source that is not treated with chlorine, add two drops of non-scented liquid household chlorine bleach to the water.Tightly close the container using the original cap. Be careful not to contaminate the cap by touching the inside of it with your finger. Place a date on the outside of the container so that you know when you filled it. Store in a cool, dark place.Replace the water every six months if not using commercially bottled water.

PA PATRIOT
09-27-09, 00:02
Food, BUG-IN USE.

The cheapest place I have ever found which offers very high quality food items at the lowest of cost is ALDI's Food Chain. They are expanding in all regions of the U.S. so finding one unless you live in the sticks should not be that hard to do.

Store Locater,

http://aldi.us/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main

Checking the Date's on every can or food item you buy, buy in large lots so the date of expiration is the same on the entire lot of that item.

Most canned items have at least 18 or more months before the "Use by Date" so rotating them allows a large window of use.

Stocking a 30 to 60 day supply of SHTF food which includes Canned Fish, Beef, Spam and chicken adding to that dry beans, rice and pasta and then the canned veggies, fruits and pasta sauces. You maybe eating out of a can, bottle or plastic storage container but your eating good tasting high quality items which ran us $275.00 for a 60 day supply.

I'm sure there are many other discount places one could shop at but to this date I have not found one that offered what ALDI's could in the Philadelphia and surrounds area stores.

PA PATRIOT
09-27-09, 00:33
Firearms,

This is a subject of much debate on what type, manufacture or caliber a firearm should be for SHTF use. If we stay with local common for your area manufacturers which have a long history of dependable service out of the box, are simple to clean and repair plus ammunition for this choice is common to the area you live in and procurable then most may find that the good old boys like the .22LR, 12 and 20 gauge, 30-30, 308 and 3006 and the 9mm, .40S&W and the .45acp are most available and affordable. Ammunition can be had at affordable prices at the local Wally World in White Box, UMC and Federal American Eagle form so as long as you find out when Wally World stock their ammo counters then hopefully you should be able to place a few boxes in the safe. Since we are on a tight budget of $1500.00 and we already spent funds on food and water storage and we still have to shell out cash for Securing the BUG-IN Location, First AID, Clothing for the seasons, inside Solar/Battery run LED lighting at night, Heat for the winter and Secondary comfort items we just cant blow all the remaining cash on guns and ammo.

So Gentlemen, what should the SHTF firearms be which allows us to have some funds left to cover the listed tasks?

obucina
09-27-09, 00:37
Having been furloughed 20 hours a week, my income has been reduced in half, and prospects for getting back on 40 are looking extremely slim.

$1500 could assemble a very good amount of food. My actual preps primarily focus on food, and all else is secondary. I typically buy food with a long shelf life, that I normally eat, or wouldn't mind eating.

Yesterday I bought 35 lbs of spaghetti for $21.00. A grocery store chain here in the Southeast was running a BOGO on Ronzoni. I may go back and get some more today.

Also, the best deal on Rice is at COSTCO, where a 50 lb bag will set you bag a measly $15.00. I've been buying those when I get a chance, and stuffing them in Paint Buckets. At WAL*MART, the 5 gallon plastic paint buckets are approximately $4.00, and can hold roughly 30-35 lbs of rice. The best lids for these buckets are available at Home Depot, as the HD lids have rubber o-rings. If you go to the paint department at WAL*MART, the white 5-gallon buckets ARE food-grade, they're just not marketed as such.

At $15.00 for 50 lbs of rice, you can hoard a ton of the stuff, and if you are working with a budget of $1500.00, it will barely put a dent in it.

The good thing about prepping is that I'm still eating food I got at the end of '07/beginning of '08, that's still a year out from expiration.

When you see how quickly prices go up, you can really appreciate the stockpiling factor. I bought canned Chicken of the Sea albacore for $0.65 back in '07, and the prices have gone up in a ridiculous way, making me truly appreciate buying as much as I did.

Despite not nearly having enough 5.56 ammo on hand, gun stuff is taking a back seat to food, medical/first-aid supplies, etc.

I used to be able to get lamp oil at the 'Mart, but they've since stopped carrying the Lamplighter brand in the giant bottles. It was insane cheap, and that was my only supplier of such, thusly I'm thinking I'm stuck with what I've got on hand.

I was fortunate to be able to get my emergency candles at $1.00 for 10, but it's been awhile since I've seen those as well.

The 'Mart has the best prices on Mountain House, as well, but the selection isn't anything close to REI's.

My brother manages to beat me out on "doomer deals", hands down. He picked up a Windmill Trekker for $5.00, an in-line Camelbak water filter for $9.00, an Aquastar UV filter for $5.00, and a CFP-90 for $30, among other insane bargains.

ETA: If you're staying on a budget, shopping deals, sales, and using coupons is mandatory. Here in the SE, there is an awesome site that acts as a pre-mission briefing on hitting the grocery stores like an apocalyptic commando:

http://www.southernsavers.com/

I would assume that the containers for the rice and pasta are sealed, no? I am employed by this certain grocery chain and he have issues in the summer with contaminated rice and pasta. Primarily weevils, the heat and humidity especially when being warehoused seem to be the largest issue..of course, per our regulations, the product is a "dispose at store level" which means scan and trash...

on a side note...toward the end of hurricane season, many of our items like tarps, larger flashlights, self heating meals, etc...are marked down for inventory control purposes and weather band radios are currently on sale right now:)

Cold Zero
09-27-09, 08:23

The next time you or your sharp brother cross paths with more insane bargains, can you let the rest of us here know about it ? Those were some realy good deals, too cheap to pass up.

BTW, what is a BOGO ?

Thanks.

obucina
09-27-09, 08:46
BOGO=Buy One Get One:cool:

Outlander Systems
09-27-09, 09:55
I would assume that the containers for the rice and pasta are sealed, no? I am employed by this certain grocery chain and he have issues in the summer with contaminated rice and pasta. Primarily weevils, the heat and humidity especially when being warehoused seem to be the largest issue..of course, per our regulations, the product is a "dispose at store level" which means scan and trash...

on a side note...toward the end of hurricane season, many of our items like tarps, larger flashlights, self heating meals, etc...are marked down for inventory control purposes and weather band radios are currently on sale right now:)

A very wise man, named Kino, recommends freezing the pasta before storage to kill weevil eggs.

The rice is in sealed buckets.

PA PATRIOT
09-27-09, 10:39
Quick question on freezing the pasta and rice to kill parasites, does not the freezing process and then the defrosting cause moisture on the surface of the pasta and rice which would cause bacteria to grow? Next week I was going to pick up "four" fifty pound bags of rice at the local BJ's who has them at a great price. I already have new and cleaned food grade five gallon resealable buckets and a empty frost free stand up freezer were I can knock down the temperature to -20 degree's or better. Is there any research on food storage out there which has the best ways to store dry goods?

PA PATRIOT
09-27-09, 12:55
Back to Firearms,

This Saturday I did a little road trip to the area gun shops which in total are nine shops within a 10 miles radius. I was looking used only and was hoping to see at least a shotgun and a pistol for under $600 OTD. Well I was very surprised to find that the shops visited had a large variety of used choices and the prices were extremely decent. This variety was strange since the last time I did this type of road trip a few months back the used market for firearms was really tight without much selection and high prices. It appears that the current economy is to blame and many laid-off gun owners are thinning their collections to paid bills and to buy food. So Gun shops have been buying or selling on consignment a large amount of guns lately and the increase in inventory has reduced prices to move the stock. Well my very first shop had a like new Remington 870 Tac Desert Recon 12 gauge for $250.00, as soon as I pick the Remington up the shop owner called over that he would knock off $25.00 and do the back ground for $10.00 (I'M Known in these parts as a discount buyer who barters price like the best of them) so the reduced offer was a attempt to avoid a lengthly negotiation. I have never seen a Remington like this and the action was smooth and the trigger pull crisp so I started to walk toward the shop owner with shotgun in hand. This signals that I was now ready to negotiate my buying price and the shop owner flat out stated "What do you want to pay for that" I replied $200.00 OTD and without hesitation the shop owner returned with $210.00 finial price. So since this shop has its own range I wanted a few test fire rounds to function test the shotgun and after 10rds of old high brass #2 shot I decided that my research trip just turned into a buying spree. On the rack there were several other 12 gauge shot guns from different manufacturers all in great condition and at good price. I did not see any thing in a pistol but he had a few S&W Model 64's stainless .38spl around $250.00

http://www.remington.com/images/products/firearms/shotgun/870_tac_dr_410.jpg

Shops 2-3-4 had a few items of interest but nothing I really would have jumped at as I don't place much stock in older S&W auto's or Mil-surplus pistols for serious work. Shop Number 5 does a lot of Police department deals so they sell the turn-In's from these departments. Glocks seem to be the latest trade In's with most being 9mm's with a few .40S&W and .45acp's thrown in. A few Model-17's and 19's were in excellent shape and some were really clean like-new pistols which shined through, most of the remaining showed normal holster and cosmetic handling marks but the actions were solid. The pistols were priced per condition as one would expect with the best running at $375.00 with three magazines and night sights of unk age but serviceable. Since Glock 9mm's are well known for there durability and drop dead reliability out of the box these pistols would make for a serious SHTF firearm. So off to barter with the "Man" for the best condition Model-19 which appeared to have less then a few hundred rounds fired at best. He saw me coming and asked if I was there to "Violate Him" on a counter offer to the pistols sticker price. I said "Of Course" and fired a $300.00 OTD offer to him. As the man choked on his coffee he told me to return when I had a serious offer. Needless to say we went back and forth until a $320.00 OTD and a 10.00 back ground fee was agreed to. So far a total of $540.00 was now spent on two firearms and I paid a additional $60.00 for three extra used Glock Model-19 magazines and four 50rd boxes of Wolf Polly Coated 9mm ammo. I was given a used but like new Uncle Mikes plastic Paddle holster with thumb snap that fit the Model-19 perfectly by the owner as a bonus for being the only one that week that "F*** Him" as good as I did. Its not like I got the greatest deal on the Glock but shop owners now have to make some price concessions to move inventory and pay their own bills.

So I get home from this fact finding mission that turned buying spree after only five out of nine shops visited and I was able to procure a decent home defense option for $600.00. Now as a man I should not be posting this but the Glock Model-19 has been appropriated by the wife as consequence of my reckless spending spree (I used 60% of my Uniform Allowance Check I get every year from the department to fund the spree) and now she at this very moment at the range pinking away with her girlfriend.

I really didn't need these guns but good deals don't come that often and I'll get another Uniform check next year. I did surprise myself by staying inside my spending limit and coming away with what I did. Well the good thing is I will get my Glock Model-26 back that was "appropriated" a few years ago after a similar gun shop road trip occurred.

Abraxas
09-27-09, 13:07
Tagging for interest

Submariner
09-27-09, 14:30
Rice and beans, for example, form a complete protein.

More here. (http://www.kitchenstewardship.com/2009/06/30/monday-mission-learn-about-complete-proteins/)

K.L. Davis
09-27-09, 15:01
IMHO, all dry food should get the same process for long term storage... infestation can destroy your food stores, you should protect your food from all critters, weevils, rodents and democrats.

You will want to repackage a lot of stuff, especially things that come in boxes or thin plastic bags...

*cut the preparation instructions and nutrition label from the boxed foods, vacuum seal the contents and tape the instructions to the bag.

*Divide up large bulk packages into smaller packages; think "per meal sizes" and vacuum pack that way - you can even mix stuff now, rather than later... some rice, beans and dried veggies, a little spice all vacuum sealed in one bag and measured out to feed a certain number of people.

*Vacuum sealed bags of rice, grains, flour and pasta should be frozen for 72 hours to kill eggs that are in the grain... anything that you freeze needs to be in an airtight container to keep moisture from getting to it when it is thawed.

*Plastic buckets are great for storing bags of food... pre-pack them to feed a number of people for a certain amount of time; example: one five gallon bucket has meals, snacks and supplements to support two people for one week. Make sure you are using food grade buckets, or know for sure what was in the bucket before you got it! Square buckets make better use of storage space than round ones.

*Buckets can be purged before sealing by putting a small piece of dry ice wrapped in paper in the bottom of the bucket and then packing the food bags on top of the dry ice... set the lid on loosely and wait an hour or so before sealing it - do not lift the lid, just press it in place, the CO2 from the thawing dry ice will purge a lot of air from the bucket... you can also add some Bay Leaves to the bucket or food bags, and some folks like to "powder" the contents of storage buckets with diatomaceous earth, if you do this, make sure you are not using the stuff you buy for swimming pool filters - get food grade DE.

K.L. Davis
09-27-09, 15:10
BOGO... as was already mentioned is Buy One, Get One and I think it is also the warcry of women's shoe sales; however, it is something to keep an eye on in grocery stores, it looks like obucina would know more about how stores stock their shelves than I do, but I know that they run on short cycles and often food is trashed at the store... The sales to get that stuff off the shelf before it is trashed can be quite good, keep an eye on these and think of the buy-one-get-one as "one for now, one for later" when you shop... or two for later ;)

A very wise man, named Kino, recommends freezing the pasta before storage to kill weevil eggs
Holy crap! There is one?

jaholder
09-27-09, 17:34
Start small, $10-20 every payday. Hit the stockup stores like ALDI, rotate your stock and it won't be long until you have a 6 month plus supply of canned and dry goods.

We've never had trouble keeping rice and beans good, but we never bought them by the huge bags, either. Personally I think there's more of a chance of spoilage/infestation of one 50 pound bag than 50 one pound bags you would get at the store.

Outlander Systems
09-27-09, 18:01
BOGO... as was already mentioned is Buy One, Get One and I think it is also the warcry of women's shoe sales; however, it is something to keep an eye on in grocery stores, it looks like obucina would know more about how stores stock their shelves than I do, but I know that they run on short cycles and often food is trashed at the store... The sales to get that stuff off the shelf before it is trashed can be quite good, keep an eye on these and think of the buy-one-get-one as "one for now, one for later" when you shop... or two for later ;)

Holy crap! There is one?

Oh shit. I just went to try and quote it, and it was HeavyMetal, not you! My bad bro...

:(

You're still wise, though, my good man.

obucina
09-27-09, 21:29

Holy crap! There is one?

yepper. our sales system runs on what can best be described as a three tier system...our weekly sales ad, which runs from thursday-wednesday. The sales flyer is distributed 48hrs prior in the local newspaper..Our "advantage buy" which runs on a temporary price reduction for 6 weeks, as our warehouse allocated items run on 6 weeks price changes, and now our "essentials" program that drops the price on typical staple items...right now the 6pk of Top Raman is dirt cheap(yay). Our weekly sales stuff typically doesnt disappear completely, we are on an automated ordering system and im quite gangster with my inventory numbers:D but also, if its gone and on sale ask for a rain check. for any of you in the southeast who shop at the store with the ginormous green P, you will notice that many items are on a cycle.....and seasonal/holiday type stuff is quite consistent. The pasta for example rotates brands almost every week, gatorade sales are rotated in terms of size type, 64oz, 8pk, 128oz, etc...So, you can count on some consistent items every time. Also, large quantities can be had for cheap at the hispanic micro-chains. The P does is also in certain hispanic dominated neighborhoods. Finally, since its football season, the most important staple of all will be perpetually on sale until after the Pro Bowl.....and thats BEER!
Oh, and in the event of one of those twirly tropical things, dont panic over getting bottled water, our multi million dollar Cat generators will mean he have full power and that means the 'puters will run, so orders may be verified....and corporate will run drop ships of palletized half liter multipacks like its X at Burning Man.

Cold Zero
09-27-09, 21:49
BOGO=Buy One Get One:cool:

Thank you. Guess that shows how often I food shop.:rolleyes::eek:

Outlander Systems
09-27-09, 22:40
Food Shelf-Life Guide:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

PA PATRIOT
09-28-09, 02:33
Food Shelf-Life Guide:

http://www.stilltasty.com/

Good Info source!

JB2000
09-28-09, 21:52
Here's a calendar to help you get prepared over a 24 week period. There are many variations of it but the point is to help you buy the things you need and make the other preparations you should make a little at a time so it is not too burdensome financially or otherwise.

Disaster Preparedness Calendar (http://www.napo-sfba.org/DisasterPreparednessCalendar.pdf)

HES
09-28-09, 23:18
yepper. our sales system runs on what can best be described as a three tier system...our weekly sales ad, which runs from thursday-wednesday. The sales flyer is distributed 48hrs prior in the local newspaper..Our "advantage buy" which runs on a temporary price reduction for 6 weeks, as our warehouse allocated items run on 6 weeks price changes, and now our "essentials" program that drops the price on typical staple items...right now the 6pk of Top Raman is dirt cheap(yay). Our weekly sales stuff typically doesnt disappear completely, we are on an automated ordering system and im quite gangster with my inventory numbers:D but also, if its gone and on sale ask for a rain check. for any of you in the southeast who shop at the store with the ginormous green P, you will notice that many items are on a cycle.....and seasonal/holiday type stuff is quite consistent. The pasta for example rotates brands almost every week, gatorade sales are rotated in terms of size type, 64oz, 8pk, 128oz, etc...So, you can count on some consistent items every time. Also, large quantities can be had for cheap at the hispanic micro-chains. The P does is also in certain hispanic dominated neighborhoods. Finally, since its football season, the most important staple of all will be perpetually on sale until after the Pro Bowl.....and thats BEER!
Oh, and in the event of one of those twirly tropical things, dont panic over getting bottled water, our multi million dollar Cat generators will mean he have full power and that means the 'puters will run, so orders may be verified....and corporate will run drop ships of palletized half liter multipacks like its X at Burning Man.
You sir are my hero. I love shopping where it truly is a pleasure. Please dont stop with the tips.

Spade
09-29-09, 00:24
Great thread. It may be worth mentioning that a persons shopping list would change depending on what their shtf needs are. For example you may wish to leave rather than stay, so 55 gallon drums of water may not be in your interest. The only reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine was talking with a coworker & she said she wanted to buy some ulti-survival kit in a can. My buddy said ok what are you preparing for? She replied that her biggest concern was the swine flu. The scarry thing is that nothing in the kit would help her with swine flu. Be aware of what you are planning for & buy accordingly. As of this moment I live in a pretty rustic home with wood stoves for warmth. Water is a major concern as our well is not good to drink right now, so we keep lots of drinking water & potable water on hand just in case. We have a garden (seeds are cheap). My home readiness is ok but not great. My other concern is beeing on the road, as I tend to travel quite a bit on short trips of around an hour away from home. So I have started looking into gear to keep with me in the vehicle. I try to buy small things here & there as money allows. The other day I bought several feet of 550 cord, & a small pelican case for storing my fire starting gear. A while back I bought some water purify tabs & a small first aid kit. If you have $1500 to through at shtf right now great but if not do little buys here & there you will be suprised how fast your gear will come along. Eventually depending on you needs you will have to throw down some cash for either a good pack, firearms, or a generator or something.

As of for the perfect firearm for shtf thats a hard one since many factors come into play such as available ammo, parts & what you may be wanting to do with it; hunt small game, large game, or defend your home

PA PATRIOT
09-29-09, 12:25
Great thread. It may be worth mentioning that a persons shopping list would change depending on what their shtf needs are. For example you may wish to leave rather than stay, so 55 gallon drums of water may not be in your interest. The only reason I bring this up is that a friend of mine was talking with a coworker & she said she wanted to buy some ulti-survival kit in a can. My buddy said ok what are you preparing for? She replied that her biggest concern was the swine flu. The scarry thing is that nothing in the kit would help her with swine flu. Be aware of what you are planning for & buy accordingly. As of this moment I live in a pretty rustic home with wood stoves for warmth. Water is a major concern as our well is not good to drink right now, so we keep lots of drinking water & potable water on hand just in case. We have a garden (seeds are cheap). My home readiness is ok but not great. My other concern is beeing on the road, as I tend to travel quite a bit on short trips of around an hour away from home. So I have started looking into gear to keep with me in the vehicle. I try to buy small things here & there as money allows. The other day I bought several feet of 550 cord, & a small pelican case for storing my fire starting gear. A while back I bought some water purify tabs & a small first aid kit. If you have $1500 to through at shtf right now great but if not do little buys here & there you will be suprised how fast your gear will come along. Eventually depending on you needs you will have to throw down some cash for either a good pack, firearms, or a generator or something.

As of for the perfect firearm for shtf thats a hard one since many factors come into play such as available ammo, parts & what you may be wanting to do with it; hunt small game, large game, or defend your home

Spade,

My $1500.00 is a yearly figure which one would save then buy a BUG-IN SHTF starter kit, We are talking about people who have nothing whats so ever and this is what their very first SHTF kit could be formed from.

As the list starts with Water then Food and moves off to Firearms, First Aid, Securing the Home and so on you can see the first two items are the highest priority.

Buying long term storage type foods can be done on a weekly basis as you do your normal food shopping but the one flaw is you will really have to keep track of your ever approaching expiration dates for your stores as you did not buy a large single unit with a single expiration date. But many will say if you shop and add items weekly then just make sure your rotate the oldest stores first. For me I would rather have a low maintenance system then one I have to always maintain.

Bug-In Firearms can be as simple a old single shot 12 gauge or .22LR rifle, as you can see I did not buy a battle rifle or a sniper rifle. A simple 12 gauge pump action shotgun can be used in many different roles from hunting small game with bird shot to using slugs on deer and black bear or as a home defender loaded with some buckshot. Since it may not be alway opportune carrying that shotgun I added a Pistol to the mix which was extremely durable and reliable, concealable and offered good ammunition capacity. Also when loaded with one of DOCGKR's approved hollow points tend to be a effective self protection tool. Effective is the term which should be used for a SHTF firearm and while any firearm maybe able to incapacitate someone or thing the speed in which it can do so with proper bullet placement is the key. 9mm and 12 gauge are the most common ammunition to be found at retailers who sell ammunition and thus one of the reasons for my SHTF selection.

You were saying your "Well" water was not the best for drinking right now, what caused this condition and maybe a member can suggest a safe way to decontaminate the water.

perna
09-29-09, 17:20
Buying long term storage type foods can be done on a weekly basis as you do your normal food shopping but the one flaw is you will really have to keep track of your ever approaching expiration dates for your stores as you did not buy a large single unit with a single expiration date. But many will say if you shop and add items weekly then just make sure your rotate the oldest stores first. For me I would rather have a low maintenance system then one I have to always maintain.

If the food you store is the food you eat, keeping track of exp dates isnt a problem. Canned food expires 1-2 years later, and if they are 6 months past it isnt going to go bad. I usually check dates every 4-6 months, I take the oldest stuff out and use that up.

PA PATRIOT
09-29-09, 20:47
If the food you store is the food you eat, keeping track of exp dates isnt a problem. Canned food expires 1-2 years later, and if they are 6 months past it isnt going to go bad. I usually check dates every 4-6 months, I take the oldest stuff out and use that up.

One can do as you say and build a SHTF pantry but it takes time before you have a fully stock pantry. If nothing happens during your building period then your good to go, I was thinking more on the line of instant SHTF kit which could be done on a tight budget, no building and ready for use. I know things are hard and monies tight but if the SHTF tomorrow I would rather be a $1500.00 in debt then nothing to sustain and protect my family. We can always find a way to pay a bill over time, are families are worth it.

Spade
09-30-09, 02:00
Phila PD our well has ecoli. Just like about everyone elses around here. We need to buy a UV filter & just have not done so. As for your logic for available ammo, it may be flawed depending on the shtf scenario. If indeed the crap hits you may not be able to just go to the retailer as everyone may have already done so. Also if it gets bad enough you may look to aquiring from the military or law enforcement (buy whatever meens) assuming they both exist. If neither due they may still have ammo at various locations. Regardless 5.56 & other such rounds may fit nicely in a shtf ammo plan

PA PATRIOT
09-30-09, 19:06
As for your logic for available ammo, it may be flawed depending on the shtf scenario. If indeed the crap hits you may not be able to just go to the retailer as everyone may have already done so. Also if it gets bad enough you may look to aquiring from the military or law enforcement (buy whatever meens) assuming they both exist. If neither due they may still have ammo at various locations. Regardless 5.56 & other such rounds may fit nicely in a shtf ammo plan

Thats why I stated this is a buy now kit with a limit of $1500.00 that way you have it now without lengthly building times. Common standard calibers will most likely be wiped out just after a SHTF event as you say but they should be easily available at chain stores if you buy now. Remember this is a starter kit for someone who has nothing and wishes to get prepared.

PA PATRIOT
10-01-09, 11:01
Here is a question about food stores, how much of a percentage should you split between dry goods such as beans, rice, flour...ect and can goods? I was thinking can goods are a open and eat item most of the time and if you can add a little heat to warm the can all the better. Dry goods would seem to consume more water and fuel to prepare them. So what would be a good balance between the two?

perna
10-01-09, 15:05
Personally I keep A LOT more canned stuff. There are many reasons why I keep more canned stuff over dry goods:
-Sturdy containers, dont have to worry about bugs, mold, going stale...
-basically just heat and serve and can do that in the can, or just eat cold
-little or no water needed

Dry goods downsides:
-A LOT of extra water needed to cook and for washing pots
-Under cooked Kidney beans can make you very sick
-Long cooking times which is hard if cooking on a grill.

Zhurdan
10-01-09, 18:03
-Under cooked Kidney beans can make you very sick
-Long cooking times which is hard if cooking on a grill.

Well, I'm Hispanic, so I don't cook beans on the grill... they just keep falling thru! :D

There's a lot to be said for canned goods. They last forever pretty much. The downside is that they are bulky and heavy, but I really don't plan on moving out, it just doesn't make much sense where I live.

Dry good will last quite a while if stored properly. Just make sure you get the right lids for your 5 gallon buckets, and liners. It's very true about the water though, but cookware can be clean pretty well without water, it just takes a whole lot more scrubbing.

perna
10-01-09, 22:09
Well, I'm Hispanic, so I don't cook beans on the grill... they just keep falling thru!

Oh, I dont put them on the grill, I roast each one like a marshmello.;)

nfranco
10-07-09, 23:09
Great thread!

I've some friends that have picked up 5 gallon buckets for free from bakeries and fast food joints.
These are some good lids.
http://nfranco.smugmug.com/photos/673893615_DJ45H-S.jpg
Here's one place to get them.
http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/gamma_seal_lids_gamma_lid_products.aspx

PA PATRIOT
10-21-09, 21:31
Just a heads up that 5.11 is closing out and discounting a ton of gear.
A good place to look is your local shop or LA Gear on-line.

PA PATRIOT
10-27-09, 10:39
Ill take a few pictures and post them shortly but I was able to put together a very low priced battle belt from 5.11 & Black Hawk clearance items which for training and short term SHTF purposes is very functional and low cost.

Items are,
One Black Hawk Padded Patrol Belt
Two 5.11 M-4 Magazine carriers (Will hold 4 Magazines)
Two Black Hawk Pistol Magazines carriers (Will hold 4 Magazines)
5.11 Medical pouch (Very decent size, Multi Compartment)
5.11 6x6 Utility bag (Carry a GPS, Cell Phone, Mini-Binoculars, Power bars and spare Battery's, Multi Tool, ECT)
5.11 Dump Bag (Med Size) (Doubles to hold flex cuffs)
5.11 TR-2 light pouch

The above gear cost under $100.00 and the only thing needed is a holster for your model sidearm. I added the 5.11 Large plate carrier for $24.00 to handle a extra set of plates I own and a set of armored knee pads for $8.99 to protect the aging knees from injury. A pre-packed Gun Shot wound kit runs from $39.99 to $104.00 depending on what level of care you buy to round out the package so one really does not have to go broke for a entry level set-up while living on a tight budget.

Outlander Systems
10-27-09, 11:18
I will vouch for the 5.11 med pouch. That thing is the heat.

B52U
11-16-09, 18:55
Here's some good info on long term storage food items. Certain basic food products, if properly stored can last 30 years or more.

http://www.providentliving.org/content/list/0,11664,7448-1,00.html

There's also a food storage calculator to help you figure out how much food per person you need for a given duration.

PA PATRIOT
11-17-09, 15:09
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2081_81856957

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2080_58041322

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2080_58146076

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2080_58249317

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2080_58302934

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2081_81779442

Not a bad little bag for $14.99 I picked up several in different colors and received them today. Nicely built and it holds everything one could stuff into a shoulder bag to get home or to a bug-out location.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/tactical-map-bag.html

From the LAPoliceGear site,
Description,
The Tactical Map Bag is made for carrying all of your combat necessities in an over-the-shoulder carry bag. Will carry everything including your radio, chem. lights, concealed pistol with spare magazines, and of course your map.

Features

Clear Plastic Map Pocket
Three-Way divided compartment
Internal Elastic Loops
Exterior M16/AR15 Magazine Pouches
Exterior Pistol Magazine Pouches
GPS Pouch
Internal Pistol Holster w/ Spare Magazine Pouch

Edited to add they appear to be selling out extremely fast with some colors already gone.

PA PATRIOT
11-17-09, 15:19
If you See A Good Deal on Items which can be used in times of need then POST it up in this thread

Ga Shooter
11-25-09, 14:43
I started looking at this thread in detail today. I have got my weapons and ammo mostly where I want them for now and I am starting on food. I found a chest freezer for free and put a seal on it and it has worked perfect for 30 days now so I think I am good to go with the cold storage. I have a question I think K.L. Davis mentioned freezing flour, rice, bean etc for 72 hours before storing or using my question is do you store first then freeze 3 days before you use or freeze for 3 days and then you can store elsewhere? I live in Savannah, Ga my main storage will be under my house (it is built up off of the ground about 3 feet). It is very hot and humid here in the summer with very wet, mild winters.

00leland00
11-25-09, 15:37
You freeze first to kill any bugs/bacteria that might be present, then you store. I'm in Savannah too, and thought about storage under the house, but ultimately decided it would be too damp and warm. If you start thinking about water storage, pm me and I've got a great local source for the blue food grade 55gal drums.

PA PATRIOT
11-25-09, 22:12
How do you remove the moisture from freezing before storing?

Thomas M-4
11-25-09, 22:29
This is turning out to be a good thread.
Question I like homemade beef jerky and a Local grocery store has been having good sale prices on hamburger meat. I would like to make some home made beef jerky what would be the best way to package and store it and how long could I expect it to last?

K.L. Davis
11-25-09, 22:30
How do you remove the moisture from freezing before storing?
Vacuum pack and seal before freezing... when you take the packages out of the freezer you will see condensation on the outside of the package, this is from water vapor in the air outside of the package, nothing to worry about.

PA PATRIOT
11-26-09, 09:57
OK,

So buy cheap bulk rice, vacuum pack , freeze for 72 hours at -20 to -40, remove wipe off condensation then store.

Now thats preparation on a budget.

PA PATRIOT
11-26-09, 10:06
This is turning out to be a good thread.
Question I like homemade beef jerky and a Local grocery store has been having good sale prices on hamburger meat. I would like to make some home made beef jerky what would be the best way to package and store it and how long could I expect it to last?

When I did it with Deer and Moose meat I used a dehydrator and the below method,

If you use a store purchased meat, Select a cut of meat. Choosing a lean cut like sirloin, top round, or eye round will save time later.

Remove all noticeable fat from your meat, as this will cause the jerky to spoil much faster, then slice your meat into very thin strips less than 1/8`` thick (sometimes a butcher will do this for you for free if you ask). To make it easier to slice, freeze it for about 30 minutes before slicing. You can cut with or against the grain, but some find that strips cut against the grain are easier to chew. Trim the fat as you go along, since fat does not dry and could make the jerky rancid.

Marinate the meat in a solution of cider vinegar and sea salt, or according to a recipe of your preference. Place in the refrigerator for 4 - 24 hours to allow the meat absorb the flavor. This step is optional; the additional moisture can make dehydration take longer, and the resulting jerky might be stickier.
Coat the meat in the seasonings of your choice.

Dehydrate the meat. Leave enough room between pieces to allow air to flow around the meat. Avoid letting the meat touch if possible.

In a dehydrator, spray the racks with non-stick cooking spray and place your prepared meat on the racks.

In an oven, set the temperature to 150 degrees F (65 degrees C) and allow it to preheat. (Heat is not intended to cook your jerky; gentle heat aids in the dehydration process by causing the moisture to evaporate.) Place your prepared meat on a wire rack over a cookie sheet.

Wait and watch. Making jerky is not a quick process. Since temperatures, humidity levels, and slice thickness will vary, there can be no set time for the process to complete. Usually it will take between 6 - 12 hours. Check the consistency of the jerky regularly after 6 hours until it meets your satisfaction. You might have to cut into the jerky to ensure that it is not raw inside. Jerky should turn a deep brown or burgundy color.

Place the fresh jerky in plastic bags and store in the refrigerator or freezer until ready to eat. Enjoy the homemade jerky within one week of its preparation.

Tips,

If you wish to store your jerky for longer, use glass mason jars. Plastic bags tend to accumulate moisture which encourages the growth of bacteria. In jars, jerky can be kept for months.

Be swift. The meat should be dried as quickly as possible, to limit bacterial growth.

Cutting the meat into thin slices dramatically shortens drying time. Placing the meat in a freezer for an hour or two before cutting will make it easier to cut thinly.

Do not allow the jerky to become too dry or it will become hard and unpleasant. It should be the consistency of rubber.

Traditionally, jerky was smoked or salted to preserve and flavor the meat at the same time.

Ideally, the jerky should be vacuum sealed in plastic with a pouch of oxygen absorber in order to retard spoilage, but this is not practical in most home situations.

For a vegetarian version of this, try using seitan (wheat protein) or marinated tofu. Tweak the recipe accordingly.

Use Braggs soy sauce, Black pepper, Pinch of cayenne, smoke the meat before dehydrating or use liquid smoke and you will have the best jerky you have ever had. Be sure you let it marinate over night.

Try a soy sauce based marinade. Some excellent flavoring agents include Adobo seasoning, red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper, powdered ginger, sesame oil, cajun seasoning

When drying in an oven, keep the door open a few inches with a couple of wooden spoons. This help the drying process and helps prevent the jerky scalding before it is dry.

You can also buy home jerky making kits if you are unsure of the whole process.

Beef Jerky Risks,

Beef jerky is known to be the go-to product for people who need to bring along food, but lack refrigeration -- hikers, campers and hunters to name a few. With a food that seems to last forever and does not need to be refrigerated, it seems as if there is no such thing as beef jerky risks. However, as with any food preparation, there are some risks associated with the making of beef jerky.

See, when you really think about it, beef jerky is never cooked. That said, what then makes the meat safe to eat? Drying meat actually dates back thousands of years as a way to preserve portions of meat like buffalo and cattle that could not otherwise be saved. Think about it -- refrigeration just came into play this century, really. The principle behind the safe preservation of meat through drying is that the moisture is removed, meaning there is no longer a way for enzymes containing bacteria or fungus to react with the food. There are very few beef jerky risks when it comes to commercially-made beef jerky. This is because the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has set guidelines for beef jerky makers to follow, and like any manufacturer, they are monitored. But, when making at home beef jerky risks are more plausible. The reason for this is that the meat may not get to the right temperature before it is dried, which can cause some bacteria to be left behind. Meat should be heated to 160 °F and poultry to 165 °F before the dehydration process. Then follow the recipe instructions, which usually keep a dehydrator at 130-140 °F. If the meat is not heated to par before the drying process starts, whether it is in a dehydrator or oven, the bacteria will become heat resistant. If bacteria are left behind on meat, salmonella and E. coli or other food born illnesses can infect those who eat the jerky.

Here are some tips directly from the USDA to reduce beef jerky risks when making at home:

• Always wash hands thoroughly with soap and water before and after working with meat products.
• Use clean equipment and utensils.
• Keep meat and poultry refrigerated at 40 °F or slightly below. Use or freeze ground beef and poultry within 2 days; whole red meats, within 3 to 5 days.
• Defrost frozen meat in the refrigerator, not on the kitchen counter.
• Marinate meat in the refrigerator. Don't save marinade to reuse. Marinades are used to tenderize and flavor the jerky before dehydrating it.
• Steam or roast meat to 160 °F and poultry to 165 °F as measured with a food thermometer before dehydrating it.
• Dry meats in a food dehydrator that has an adjustable temperature dial and will maintain a temperature of at least 130 to 140 °F throughout the drying process.
• For ground beef jerky prepared at home, safety concerns related to E. coli are minimized if the meat is precooked to 160 °F prior to drying.
• Homemade jerky can only be stored for one to two months, while commercially produced jerky can last a year.

Another beef jerky risk is the sodium content. Beef jerky is a good snack for those who want to eliminate carbs from their diet, and also some jerky is low in fat. However, most jerky is extremely high in sodium. A 30 g serving of beef jerky could contain more than 515 mg of sodium, which would be 21% of the recommended daily value. While salt is essential to our survival, too much sodium in a diet can cause high blood pressure. So, people who indulge in beef jerky often, as well as other salty foods may want to watch what they eat.

Making it with Hamburger meat,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq-u8rEpf2g

Making it in the oven,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO9Hw92xtE4

Deep Fried Beef Jerky,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRaWkRvvQbA

Making Beef Jerky in a dehydrator,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-5SS9MP0Vs

Wood Fire Dried Beef Jerky,
Part 1,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5FVMzk2g9E

Part 2,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Se82ZXNS6uI&feature=related

Some say you can Sun Dry Beef, Fish and Bird and I have seen people do it but I would never eat it, I'M sure it works as it has been done for the past 1000 years but its not for me.

DrScott
11-30-09, 02:43
Another method for storing grains or rice is to use dry ice to displace the oxygen in your container. For example if you are using rice and 5 gallon buckets. Simply place a piece of dry ice in the bucket of rice. As it sublimes, it will displace the oxygen in the container and leave CO2 in its place. Then seal it up and freeze as previously described. Even in the lack of an air tight seal, the air in the bucket will still have a very high CO2 content and will help in the preservation process.

Ga Shooter
12-01-09, 19:45
You freeze first to kill any bugs/bacteria that might be present, then you store. I'm in Savannah too, and thought about storage under the house, but ultimately decided it would be too damp and warm. If you start thinking about water storage, pm me and I've got a great local source for the blue food grade 55gal drums.

PM sent. If the food is vacuum packed and has already been frozen then humidity should not be a problem, but what about the heat? Under my house is dry as a powder keg and I have measured the temp and in the summer it runs about 6-8 degrees cooler than outside (but it still gets to upper 80's to lower 90's)

PA PATRIOT
12-01-09, 19:48
Just a heads up, Aldi's Food stores have discounted the remaining stock of their Adventure Zero degree "0" rated Camo King Sizes Sleeping Bags to $13.99 down from $39.99. I have picked up six of these bags and they are really nice and solid made with heavy duty zippers, 5 pounds of insulation, off set quilting for warmth, a draw string at the head to be able to close it around your head for addition warmth and its 90" long by 38" inches wide with a supper soft cotton interior. I doubt very much these bags will last very long at this price.

Ga Shooter
12-07-09, 15:33
PM sent. If the food is vacuum packed and has already been frozen then humidity should not be a problem, but what about the heat? Under my house is dry as a powder keg and I have measured the temp and in the summer it runs about 6-8 degrees cooler than outside (but it still gets to upper 80's to lower 90's)

Still looking for an answer to the above question, but after giving this some more thought why would vacuum packing the food not kill all life negating the need to freeze? If the food has been vacuum packed how important is it to be in a food grade container again the bag being a barrier?

B52U
12-07-09, 15:39
I can't see a compelling reason to freeze. Seems like going overboard to me. If the food you are packaging is fresh and dry at the time of packaging, all you should have to do is put it in a good sealed container with oxygen absorber packets. #10 cans (sealed at a cannery) or PETE bottles are ideal.

The issue you are going to run into with heat is reduced storage life. Not much you can do about that except store your food where it's climate controlled if you want the maximum storage life.

http://providentliving.org/pfw/multimedia/files/pfw/pdf/96277_PETEBottleStorageInstructions_v4_pdf.pdf

Cobra66
12-07-09, 17:54
So what is your opinion on protective masks? Is this tin-foil hat territory or is it valid. :confused:

Living in a large metro area, the chance that Haji or some other nut job might pop off a chem or dirty bomb are there although I'm not sure I could get to them in time to be of any good. I would figure you people blessed enough to live in a rural location would have no worries.

Still, both Finish and Czech masks are available for under $10 a piece and throw in an extra good filter and you are in the $20 a piece territory.

PA PATRIOT
12-08-09, 13:47
So what is your opinion on protective masks? Is this tin-foil hat territory or is it valid. :confused:

Living in a large metro area, the chance that Haji or some other nut job might pop off a chem or dirty bomb are there although I'm not sure I could get to them in time to be of any good. I would figure you people blessed enough to live in a rural location would have no worries.

Still, both Finish and Czech masks are available for under $10 a piece and throw in an extra good filter and you are in the $20 a piece territory.

Military surplus can come in so many different levels of serviceability that its a total crap shoot what you will receive. I would think un-issued units maybe the best depending on age and storage conditions but this is something one should not really skimp on. While semi expensive a would suggest a Scott Mask with a Scott MPC Plus Cartridge #805557-02 with a simple PVC protective suit to make it out of the hot zone.

PA PATRIOT
12-10-09, 07:15
Overstock.com has tents of very good manufacture on sale with "FREE" shipping for the holiday. I ended up with a Coleman six person, four season, Weather Master which has 100% guaranteed to stay dry for a price I could not match anywhere on-line or in the stores. All the tents I viewed on their site had the best pricing on the net to be found so I'm sure they wont last long.

Never hurts to have a back-up shelter just encase for unseen emergencies.

PA PATRIOT
12-11-09, 20:03
Big Lot stores are selling PowerMax 800 watt power Inverters for $20.00, these are Brand "NEW" and not refurb's. They are nicely made and compact and come with a one year warranty.

PA PATRIOT
12-13-09, 21:29
Aldi's Food Store has been selling those vacuum space saver bags you see on TV for $3.99 a box. Each box includes Large, Medium and small bags were you pack your clothes or other compact-able items then use a vacuum to suck the air Thur a value collapsing the bag down 70% to 75%. We picked up several boxes and use some to re-pack are Bug-Out clothing, blankets, sleeping bags and coats and I cant believe how much space we saved in the camper, at least 70%. So far all the bags have held their seal and they are reusable.

https://www.spacebag.com/?mid=563894

PA PATRIOT
12-16-09, 23:18
Target has a end of season clearance sale on Coleman Camping gear which covers tents, camping stoves, pot, pans, 5 and 7 gallon water jugs, camp lighting and more. My local store is 50% off and is supposed to be further reduced to 70% off just before 12-23 so a Target sales person stated.

I picked up a new camp stove, a tent ventilation fan and some cooking gear for now and if the price drops any further I can get a price adjustment within 30 days. The store had good stock so if you need to build up that BUG -OUT camping gear now is a great time to do so.

00leland00
12-17-09, 16:22
Target has a end of season clearance sale on Coleman Camping gear which covers tents, camping stoves, pot, pans, 5 and 7 gallon water jugs, camp lighting and more. My local store is 50% off and is supposed to be further reduced to 70% off just before 12-23 so a Target sales person stated.

I picked up a new camp stove, a tent ventilation fan and some cooking gear for now and if the price drops any further I can get a price adjustment within 30 days. The store had good stock so if you need to build up that BUG -OUT camping gear now is a great time to do so.

That's awesome, thanks!

PA PATRIOT
01-01-10, 21:56
Just a price alert,

Cabela's has a $20.00 off a $100.00 purchase which can be used for ammo. They are currently selling PMC 9mm 124gr FMJ boxes of 50rds for $8.99, so if you buy 11 boxes of 50rd it comes to $98.89 plus $5.94 in tax for a total of $104.83. Now minus the $20.00 and the finial cost of 550rds of 9mm is $84.83, if you take the wife a long she can do the same for a total of 1100rds for 169.66. Ask for the coupon at the customer service desk.

While its not the greatest deal its not bad for the current ammunition situation.

PA PATRIOT
01-16-10, 14:28
All Wal-Marts are having a clearance on Remington Hunting Gear which covers Back packs, Waist belt with multi-bag attachments, over the shoulder camo bags and day packs. Prices for all items were under $10.00 and from judging from the pre-sale prices it about 75% to 80% off. The Back Packs have good back support and are roomy for a decent sized one or two person BUG out pack, the waist belt could cover smaller items in its five storage areas and the day bags are just that.

The gear looked fresh and not picked over so they maybe clearing out a warehouse and dumping it on the stores.

PA PATRIOT
01-17-10, 16:15
While shopping the other day I noticed that all the retail stores that sold Christmas scented candles and other holiday themed candles were selling them at insane prices to dump the stock. Now when the lights go out who really cares if your candle is scented or of a holiday themed as long as its long lasting and provides light. I picked up twenty 12"inch fat pillar candles which sold for $19.99 each for a dollar per candle. From reading the bottom sticker it states that the candle should last for 48 hours of continual use so my SHTF stores now have a decent light source if the power goes out for a extended period of time.

DocCaliz
02-11-10, 03:03
http://www.do1thing.us/calendar.php

this may be of interest.

PA PATRIOT
02-12-10, 15:43
Just a note on all those Korean made Glock Model-19, 17, 18 clone magazines which sell from $9.99 to $12.99. As far as I can tell they are extremely close to the originals and I have been using them for about 6 months in IDPA and numerous range sessions and have found them to be 100% reliable in several of my Glock 9mm pistols. The 33rd versions are a best buy at $12.99.

Here's a link were to get the Model-17, 18 & 19 magazines, Free shipping and no sales tax unless you live in PA

http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp

He will have the Model-22 magazines in shortly

Also offers a L/E discount

PA PATRIOT
02-16-10, 18:45
Here are the back-up generators that I use and once again they are on sale for $399.99

Stat's

KingCraft 6,000-Watt
Electric Generator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6,000-watt surge, 5,000 watts of continuous power
Two 120V outlets, one 120V twist-lock outlet, one 12V DC outlet
13-horsepower 4-cycle OHV engine with recoil start
Runs nine hours at 1/2 load on 6.6 gallons of fuel
Includes mobility kit with 8'' semipneumatic tires and handle

http://aldi.us/us/media/offers/01_10_02_14/2x2_generator.jpg

Ga Shooter
02-26-10, 08:42
Smokey Mountain Knifeworks is have some great deals right now. WWW.SMKW.com

Specials end March 1, 2010. No shipping on orders over $75.00 (Feb 28th end)

Spend $50 get 10% off code FEB10

Spend $75 get 15% off code FEB15

Spend $100 get 20% off code FEB20

I have used them many times in my life; they have great shipping, customer service and low prices before the coupons. Happy Shopping!

Also Cabela's has a sale

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/content/email/022510/022510a.jsp;jsessionid=5QRE2NCQIUBRTLAQBBJCCN3MCAEFGIWE?cmCat=email&cm_cat=5459&cm_ven=email-nl&cm_pla=HA-0100&cm_ite=022510a.jsp&eid=14225969&cmp=I100224A&seg=MC4&cnt=5459&ctb=022510a&_requestid=23632

207Copper
03-04-10, 01:30
Costco Emergency Foods: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11219554&whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|3605|75277&N=4040913&Mo=24&pos=5&No=1&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=75277&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC17-Cat3605&topnav=

Lots of good ideas, some I never thought of for sure.

PA PATRIOT
03-12-10, 12:36
This is off the beaten path a bit but I have been seeing a good number of Police trade in firearms when departments up-grade or just age replace weapons in their inventory at the local gun shops. Now we have all read were many on this forum state one should alway use rifle calibers (5.56, 6.8 or 7.62) in compact, light weight carbines for serious work and I agree with that recommendation 100% but in todays economy the cost of such platforms and the feeding of same is outside the current budgets of many.

So looking for a cheaper way to train and still be able to use the carbine in a pinch I picked up a Police trade in which was a Ruger Police Carbine in 9mm. The FFL I use in Feasterville, PA receives these carbines in both 9mm and .40S&W on a regular basis and currently has three of each on the rack. Now I know many want pristine condition firearms when they buy but these guns are not it. They have handling marks from being locked in racks and trunks but all appear 100% serviceable and overall the cosmetic condition is very good.

Now what I like about these carbines is that they are very compact, built like tanks, and have a winged front sight and protected ghost sight rear that gives the same sight picture as my AR does. Another good point is that magazines from 15rds to 33rds are widely available and can be had in the $20.00 range.

I ended up running my Ruger carbine hard the other day to see what it could do in terms accuracy and reliability with a host of common defensive loadings I had on hand. Since I feel this little carbine is a effective short range platform out to 50yds (Due to the increased velocity with +P and +P+ loadings from the 16" barrel should help expand H/P's some what) and a hole poker past that to 150yds I kept my shooting distance within that range.

Using Mec-Gar 20rd magazines I decided to shoot the different +P+ loadings to see just how far I could hit a 12" inch wide by 14" inch tall steel plate which many would say covers the chest area on a average sized person. Using a 100 yard zero with the iron sights I had no problems with any of the +P+ loads making low center hits at 150yds when aiming at the upper 1/4 of the plate. Using +P loadings and the same aiming point the hits were in the bottom 1/3 area of the plate and standard pressure loadings were all within the bottom 1/4 area of the plate.

Reliability wise the Ruger Carbine functioned 100% through 300rds of assorted +P+, +P and Standard pressure ammunition. So the bright spot of this whole post is that one can still find a full sized carbine which is affordable (Mine cost $375.00 OTD) New reliable inexpensive hi-cap magazines and ammunition ($9.47 per 50rds of 9mm at Wal-Mart) to train with which does not break the bank. Whats not to like?

My next test is to see how far off Hollow points will expand when shooting them into my water box but that wont happen until the weather warms up and work slows down a bit. I also may look into one of the .40S&W versions if funds and time allows.

http://best9mm.com/carbines/ruger9.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d7/Ruger_PC4.jpg/300px-Ruger_PC4.jpg

13MPG
03-18-10, 01:43
Over the last year I have been haphazardly picking up supplies with no real plan. Mt. House food makes the most sense to me since it lasts for so long and does not take up a ton of room if you have a good shelf system to store it. After looking at what I can store and what my wife and I would like to have I have come up with the following plan.

Some of the non food stuff that I have to buy is a mylar heat sealer, food grade 5 gallon buckets, gamma seals, water barrels, and oxygen absorbers.

Food
* Prep one 5 gallon bucket for grain, rice, or beans every month until I reach 300 pounds.
* Buy 2 #10 cans of Mt. House food every month until I reach 100 cans.
* Buy 2 50 gallon water barrels. I have a few creeks on the property so keep more water at home does not make sense.

Ammo
* 200 rounds of 9mm (not counting what I buy to shoot) to put away. 2k is what I would like to have “saved”.
* 200 rounds of 5.56 (not counting what I buy to shoot) to put away. 5k is what I would like to have “saved”.
* 100 rounds of 7.62x39 (not counting what I buy to shoot) to put away . 3k is what I would like to have “saved“.
* 500 rounds of .22 (not counting what I buy to shoot) to put away. 10k is what I would like to have “saved“.

There are other supplies that I know I should stock up on but I have not yet come up with a plan/budget for them yet. Some of those items are liquor, magazines, medical supplies, spare parts for the firearms, and dog food.

PA PATRIOT
03-18-10, 11:32
Just a note on all those Korean made Glock Model-19, 17, 18 clone magazines which sell from $9.99 to $12.99. As far as I can tell they are extremely close to the originals and I have been using them for about 6 months in IDPA and numerous range sessions and have found them to be 100% reliable in several of my Glock 9mm pistols. The 33rd versions are a best buy at $12.99.

Here's a link were to get the Model-17, 18 & 19 magazines, Free shipping and no sales tax unless you live in PA

http://www.dansammo.com/odds.asp

He will have the Model-22 magazines in shortly

Also offers a L/E discount

Looks like the price of these magazines are dropping and they can be found at most major retailers on the net. While the drop in price is not hugh and around $2.00 per magazine its still makes the Khan & Korean made Glock Clone magazines a great addition to the SHTF stores. I have been using my 9mm and .40S&W Khan magazines for some time now running a good amount of rounds through them and I have yet to have a single issue. I can see a case of each in my near future if the price drops any further.

PA PATRIOT
03-26-10, 10:51
Ever notice when you hit your local FFL or sporting goods store they seem to be sold out of just about every caliber of ammunition but .40S&W? Yesterday I was very bored sitting at home for the day and decided to make a run to all the local shops just to see what was floating on the used gun market and what I found was a real surplus of .40S&W ammunition in every place I visited. All locations had below average respectable prices and would deal on price if you were buying on the case level so for those owners of .40S&W firearms now maybe a good time to invest some of that tax return into some .40S&W ammo reserve.

Side note, I was able to pick up two cases of 165gr H/P .40S&W for $10.99 a box of 50rds which is one of the best prices I have seen in a long time. Shop around to see what .40 S&W ammo bargains maybe lurking in those local shops.

Edited to add that it appears the reason for the large stock of .40S&W training and duty ammo being available at the retail level is because of reduced demand by L/E agencies due to budget cuts. I heard this same reasoning from a few different sources so buy what you can as the prices will only surely rise in the future.

B52U
03-26-10, 10:55
Ever notice when you hit your local FFL or sporting goods store they seem to be sold out of just about every caliber of ammunition but .40S&W? Yesterday I was very bored sitting at home for the day and decided to make a run to all the local shops just to see what was floating on the used gun market and what I found was a real surplus of .40S&W ammunition in every place I visited. All locations had respectable prices and would deal on price if you were buying on the case level so for those owners of .40S&W firearms now maybe a good time to invest some of that tax return into some .40S&W ammo reserve.

Side note, I was able to acquire two cases of 165gr H/P .40S&W for $10.99 a box of 50rds which is one of the best prices I have seen in a long time. Shop around to see what .40 S&W ammo bargins maybe lurking in those local shops.

Holy crap, 10.99 a box for 50. Cheapest I can find around here is 16 bucks a box.

PA PATRIOT
04-04-10, 09:16
Well its happening again, it appears almost every retail store which sells ammunition has increased their prices as the manufacturers have made another price bump. Not sure what is causing the latest jump as metal prices have remained constant or have declined slightly and from what I have heard from Federal and Winchester L/E distributors that stock is at normal levels and military supply is right on target. I noticed that Wal-Mart who has been holding the line price wise on ammunition just bumped up their prices adding $3.00 to a 500rd brick of .22LR and $2.00 to 50rds of 9mm. The biggest increase $4.00 to $5.00 was to .38spl, .357 magnum and .45acp 100rd bulk packs. Now some Wal-Mart stores have not yet made the jump in price but its only a matter of time until they do so those who need ammo from a retail source and have been sitting on the fence should check out the local stores and buy before the increase finds your neck of the woods. On a side note .40S&W still seems un-affected at Wal-Mart and actually had a temporary price drop shortly ago so if one owns a .40S&W now maybe the time to lay in some stock.

PA PATRIOT
04-09-10, 10:34
Just a heads up, Local L/E Ammunition Distributors stated a price increase coming shortly in the range of 10% across the product line. Which also means retail prices will most likely follow suit in short order so if one can find a deal before the increase it maybe a good time to buy.

04-09-10, 10:42
Every time I hit WallyWorld, I purchase their brand of canned foods. Usually 8-10 cans. Averages around .78c per can. Check out the Turnip Greens, Mustard Greens, and Whole Leaf Spinach; chocked full of vitamins. Add a little cheese and it's GTG. Their large boxes of various pastas are good deals as well. Then I cruise the ammo.

PA PATRIOT
04-12-10, 19:14
Was told by a Aldi's store manager that the below 6,000 watt generator will be reduced in price to a possible $199.99 in the next few days for stores that still have units in stock. If you have a Aldi's near by and your in need of a generator it maybe worth your while to check and see.

Here are the back-up generators that I use and once again they are on sale for $399.99

Stat's

KingCraft 6,000-Watt
Electric Generator
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PA PATRIOT
04-22-10, 07:57
For those looking for 9mm ammunition from normal retail sources Wal-mart is closing out its inventory of Federal 9mm 124gr FMJ and most stores have the Federal in stock at a price of $9.47 a box of 50rds. Even know the price was not reduced from regular price it is selling cheaper then the normal stock item which is the Winchester USA 9mm 115 FMJ which is $12.97 a box of 50rds, I was told by Wal-Mart employees the Federal was a stop gap inventory item when Winchester was unavailable and now that the Winchester is flowing again the lower price Federal is history. So one can save $3.50 a box on the Federal brand over the Winchester if they hurry and the store still has it in stock.

PA PATRIOT
04-23-10, 08:39
U.S.Cavalry is having a 20% off sale, Use Code #PN10N20

http://www.uscav.com/Home.aspx?TabID=548&cm_mmc=prodnews-_-apr2010C-_-feature-_-friends%20family%20saleP&urlid=prodnews_apr2010CfriendsfamilysaleP&PRE=email

Blstr88
05-12-10, 10:18
For those looking for 9mm ammunition from normal retail sources Wal-mart is closing out its inventory of Federal 9mm 124gr FMJ and most stores have the Federal in stock at a price of $9.47 a box of 50rds. Even know the price was not reduced from regular price it is selling cheaper then the normal stock item which is the Winchester USA 9mm 115 FMJ which is $12.97 a box of 50rds, I was told by Wal-Mart employees the Federal was a stop gap inventory item when Winchester was unavailable and now that the Winchester is flowing again the lower price Federal is history. So one can save $3.50 a box on the Federal brand over the Winchester if they hurry and the store still has it in stock.

Hey guys, long time "lurker" on this site (particularly the Disaster Prep section), just registered last night.

After reading this I took a little trip to three different Wal Marts. For anybody in the Maine/NH area, the Wal-Mart in Biddeford, Maine is STOCKED with 9mm and .40 ammo. They've got tons of there typical WWB but there was still quite a bit of Federal left.

If what you wrote above is correct, when this Federal runs out it'll be all Winchester/Remington, so I bought a good amount of the Federal. Cheapest on the block. They had 250 count boxes of Remington .40, I think I paid $69 for.

Anyway, great site guys! I'm definitely not as "serious" a disaster prepare'er as many of you, but I am slowly stocking up on various foods and ammo as time goes on, and this site helps a ton!

PA PATRIOT
05-16-10, 16:40
http://aldi.us/us/media/img/01_10_05_09/HP_BB_generator.jpg

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2867_11108_ENU_HTML.htm

King Craft 2,000-Watt
Camping Generator
*$ 149. 99 each *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.8-horsepower, 4-stroke OVH engine
circuit protection, two 120V AC outlets and one 12V DC outlet
engine run time of 11 hours at 50% load
engine noise level <70db

Everyone in my family owns one or more of these 2000 watt generators and we have yet to have a single problem with one. The price is right and 2000 watts will power a standard refrigerator, house lights (Compact Fluorescent) and a water pump for the well. One person can easily move this unit and ours will start on the first pull.

PA PATRIOT
05-16-10, 17:06
While powering my home or camp with a portable generator I try to reduce my overall power consumption inside the location to reduce the power draw on the generator which in turn lowers its running RPM's which saves fuel and increases running time between fueling's. One easy way to do this was to replace all my standard incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent. Home Depot has recently been selling Eco-smart soft white compact fluorescent 60 watt equivalent (4 Pack) (Model Number #ES5M8144) for $1.99, each is rated at 900 lumen's on a 14 watt draw, 10,000 life in hours and have a nine year warranty. This is the best deal I have ever seen in a retail store for compact fluorescents and it is a in-store deal only and not available on-line. So switch those old bulbs out and save money on your power bill and reduce the load on your generator when the power goes out.

http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/fb/fb5c2a58-3752-4bc3-9734-eb285704845b_300.jpg

PA PATRIOT
05-19-10, 14:58
http://www.aldi.us/us/media/offers/01_10_05_09/051210_9793_WeatherRadio_D.jpg
Oregon Scientific
Portable EAS, NOAA and NWS Radio
*$ 24. 99 each *
Item Link
http://www.aldi.us/us/html/offers/2867_11107_ENU_HTML.htm

Store locater,
http://www.aldi.us/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main

Receives NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency) weather reports.
Monitors U.S. Emergency All Hazards and Emergency Alert System (EAS) weather bulletins, warnings and forecasts.
Includes AC adapter, docking station, belt clip and three-AA batteries (Dual Power)

Nice compact unit that can be used in the field or at home and the dual power allows the unit to work during power failures. What I like about this unit is it receives all (EAS) alerts and the auto on with alert tone (100DB) can wake and notify you to Emergency events both local and national. It also gives NOAA and NWS reports and alerts. Aldi's is selling it at half the price that other Internet sellers are getting for the same exact unit. I have three of these units and all work perfectly.

PA PATRIOT
05-28-10, 22:56
This is just a heads up for all those people needing 9mm ammunition, I have heard from a few different sources that a surplus/over-run of 9mm NATO ammunition maybe hitting the retail market in the few weeks at a fair price. If I hear more I will post that info ASAP.

PA PATRIOT
06-11-10, 17:13
http://aldi.us/us/media/img/01_10_05_09/HP_BB_generator.jpg

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2867_11108_ENU_HTML.htm

King Craft 2,000-Watt
Camping Generator
*$ 149. 99 each *
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
2.8-horsepower, 4-stroke OVH engine
circuit protection, two 120V AC outlets and one 12V DC outlet
engine run time of 11 hours at 50% load
engine noise level <70db

Everyone in my family owns one or more of these 2000 watt generators and we have yet to have a single problem with one. The price is right and 2000 watts will power a standard refrigerator, house lights (Compact Fluorescent) and a water pump for the well. One person can easily move this unit and ours will start on the first pull.

Was recently told that these generators will be reduced in price to move existing inventory, $99.99 was suggested as a possible reduction price but I have yet to see it in the stores.

zpo
06-11-10, 17:57
This is just a heads up for all those people needing 9mm ammunition, I have heard from a few different sources that a surplus/over-run of 9mm NATO ammunition maybe hitting the retail market in the few weeks at a fair price. If I hear more I will post that info ASAP.
I've been seeing Winchester boxed 124 grain NATO ammo at Wal-Marts the past two weeks. I don't know if its related.

PA PATRIOT
07-08-10, 13:49
Here is a Sterilite Footlocker that works out for storing SHTF items or just about any light to mid-weight items that needs to be mobile. They come in several colors and from use that I have subjected them too are very sturdy in construction. In store price is $16.00 and one can have two footlockers shipped to their home for $34.00 (Free Shipping) from the below link.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/31/49/08/0007314908320_500X500.jpg
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlockers-Set-of-2/14147139

Spec's,
Sterilite's 1842 Footlocker offers a 92-quart capacity that can accommodate larger items, and includes wheels for easy portability.
•Heavy-duty plastic
•Accommodates standard padlock (not included)
•Item dimensions: 31.128"L x 17.5"W x 13.875"H
•Shipping dimensions: 31.5"L x 17.75"W x 28.25"H
•Shipping weight: 10 lbs.

PA PATRIOT
07-08-10, 13:52
Price has been reduced to $15.98 to 17.98 in almost every store.

http://www.aldi.us/us/media/offers/01_10_05_09/051210_9793_WeatherRadio_D.jpg
Oregon Scientific
Portable EAS, NOAA and NWS Radio
*$ 24. 99 each *
Item Link
http://www.aldi.us/us/html/offers/2867_11107_ENU_HTML.htm

Store locater,
http://www.aldi.us/us/html/service/store_locator_ENU_HTML.htm?WT.z_src=main

Receives NOAA (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency) weather reports.
Monitors U.S. Emergency All Hazards and Emergency Alert System (EAS) weather bulletins, warnings and forecasts.
Includes AC adapter, docking station, belt clip and three-AA batteries (Dual Power)

Nice compact unit that can be used in the field or at home and the dual power allows the unit to work during power failures. What I like about this unit is it receives all (EAS) alerts and the auto on with alert tone (100DB) can wake and notify you to Emergency events both local and national. It also gives NOAA and NWS reports and alerts. Aldi's is selling it at half the price that other Internet sellers are getting for the same exact unit. I have three of these units and all work perfectly.

Ga Shooter
07-09-10, 09:44
Here is a Sterilite Footlocker that works out for storing SHTF items or just about any light to mid-weight items that needs to be mobile. They come in several colors and from use that I have subjected them too are very sturdy in construction. In store price is $16.00 and one can have two footlockers shipped to their home for $34.00 (Free Shipping) from the below link.

http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/07/31/49/08/0007314908320_500X500.jpg
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sterilite-Footlockers-Set-of-2/14147139

Spec's,
Sterilite's 1842 Footlocker offers a 92-quart capacity that can accommodate larger items, and includes wheels for easy portability.
•Heavy-duty plastic
•Accommodates standard padlock (not included)
•Item dimensions: 31.128"L x 17.5"W x 13.875"H
•Shipping dimensions: 31.5"L x 17.75"W x 28.25"H
•Shipping weight: 10 lbs.

Are they stackable? And if they are how many high can you stack them?

PA PATRIOT
07-09-10, 10:15
Are they stackable? And if they are how many high can you stack them?

Here's a independent review from the Wal-Mart link,

By quadgod4x4 ,
Heavy Duty Storage for a Low Price, 06/29/2010 I seen these in a Wal-Mart store and was amazed how sturdy the units are. I weigh 210lbs. and they held up to my weight without being crushed!!!!

I have sat on mine while it was empty and it had no problems supporting my weight and yes they are stackable

HES
07-12-10, 11:05
I just picked up one of those foot lockers and will pick up a few more. We use them in scouts for camping yes they are stackable and will hold up pretty well, but I wouldn't use them for sitting on. The tops flex way too much for me to feel comfortable. They are also fairly weatherproof from the reports I am getting. I am using them to pack our camping supplies for our trip to the Smokey's that we leave for at the end of the week. They will remain in the back of my truck. I will let you know how they work out.

Ga Shooter
07-12-10, 11:09
Here's a independent review from the Wal-Mart link,

By quadgod4x4 ,
Heavy Duty Storage for a Low Price, 06/29/2010 I seen these in a Wal-Mart store and was amazed how sturdy the units are. I weigh 210lbs. and they held up to my weight without being crushed!!!!

I have sat on mine while it was empty and it had no problems supporting my weight and yes they are stackable

Thanks for the info. I will have to go pick some up.

Icculus
07-13-10, 19:33
Great thread

So how are you guys storing enough fuel for the generators? The 6000watt says 9 hours @ half-load on 6.5 gallons. With lower (read emergency/conserve power) usage how long could you realistically run on on a tank?

Even if its considerably longer how much fuel could you feasibly keep on hand to sustain this type of usage over a longer period of time? I don't exactly feel comfortable with a 55gal drum of gasoline sitting in my basement:confused:

PA PATRIOT
07-14-10, 12:53
Great thread

So how are you guys storing enough fuel for the generators? The 6000watt says 9 hours @ half-load on 6.5 gallons. With lower (read emergency/conserve power) usage how long could you realistically run on on a tank?

Even if its considerably longer how much fuel could you feasibly keep on hand to sustain this type of usage over a longer period of time? I don't exactly feel comfortable with a 55gal drum of gasoline sitting in my basement:confused:

Gasoline is not always the best fuel source for a generator depending were you live. In most urban areas natural gas generators are best because it is not affected by power outages and I cant ever remember natural gas service ever failing unless a underground leak occurred on the property from the main feed. In the country were most people rely on propane a generator set up on a feed from your storage tank works well. If I were forced to store gas on site then I would use seven gallon plastic Jerry cans with a gas stabilizer and rotate those every 9 months by fueling my SUV then refilling the Jerry's instead of the vehicle. I always store gas in a "VENTILATED" shed at least 25yds away from the main house, the small plastic sheds one finds at Home Depot or Lowe's works well and are low cost.

Icculus
07-20-10, 08:19
Thank you for the information. Not a lot of experience with them and just assumed they ran off gasoline only. Typically are most multi-fuel or do you have to match the generator to the desired fuel source? I'm not in the city so natural gas is out for me--propane would most likely be to the right choice in my current location. Thanks again

crhoades
07-20-10, 20:33
LA Police Gear 3 Day Backpack
http://www.lapolicegear.com/diplomat-3-day-backpack1.html
$29.99
5% coupon - LAPG
37.17 shipped.

Review: http://senseikyle.blogspot.com/2010/04/la-police-gear-3-day-assault-pack.html

Probably not the BEST quality but for 30 bucks, I'll give it a whirl. Will report back thoughts. Went with the backordered Coyote.

If anyone has one of these and can provide feedback on this it may save me shipping one back - I'd greatly appreciate it.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/policestuff_2111_70293916

PA PATRIOT
07-22-10, 00:30
I have seen a few of these packs and they are mostly designed for moderate duty use. I would not call them cheap but they are not heavy duty either. They make good bug-out packs for each person in the home and would survive a bit of time in the outdoors.

PA PATRIOT
07-22-10, 00:51
Not sure of the reason why but I have seen some of the Dick's Sporting Good Stores in the Philadelphia, Bucks county area discounting Mossburg shotgun replacement barrels for the Remington 870 12ga. They have a nice 18.5"inch length, 3"inch chamber, Dull Matt finish, I/C choked, brass bead barrel for $79.99 were normal price is $119.99. I had a $10.00 off for a $50.00 purchase coupon which reduced the cost further to $69.99. Not a bad deal at all for a 870 owner who needs a legal short barrel for self defense. Fit was perfect and finish was very good so I was able to convert a extra 870 12ga express magnum bird hunting gun into a spare S/D for home and travel.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-50494684177512_2111_529134013
Mossberg Model Number is #91335
Dicks Sku #011981130

Can't say this is happening in all Dick's stores but it wont hurt to check it out if your in need of a 870 S/D barrel.

PA PATRIOT
07-27-10, 20:00
Have been looking for deals on the INTERNET and local sources for MRE's as my current stock is coming upon its rotate date. While it appears that MRE prices have drop by half in recent months I fear that the 12-21-2012 crowd will drive the price to insane levels as the date approaches. So does anyone have a good source with decent price they would like to share?

PA PATRIOT
08-02-10, 10:23
Have been looking for deals on the INTERNET and local sources for MRE's as my current stock is coming upon its rotate date. While it appears that MRE prices have drop by half in recent months I fear that the 12-21-2012 crowd will drive the price to insane levels as the date approaches. So does anyone have a good source with decent price they would like to share?

No One?

Icculus
08-02-10, 12:09
Don't know what prices you currently have to compare against but maybe

http://www.mrefoods.com/

or

http://www.bestglide.com/Food_and_Water.html

I have experience ordering from bestglide and was pleased

ETA:
Or maybe this
http://www.longlifefood.com/default.asp
Again no personal experience, just a google search

PA PATRIOT
08-14-10, 01:00
I think one way this thread can continue helping people is that each week or so one basic item is picked in which every home or mobile SHTF kit should contain. Then with everyones help post the best possible price and supplier so any one needing that item to build a kit knows were to shop. Since Food & Water storage is the biggest concerns in most SHTF events I will start with those. If anyone has suggestions feel free to post them.

Ga Shooter
08-14-10, 05:41
I think one way this thread can continue helping people is that each week or so one basic item is picked in which every home or mobile SHTF kit should contain. Then with everyones help post the best possible price and supplier so any one needing that item to build a kit knows were to shop. Since Food & Water storage is the biggest concerns in most SHTF events I will start with those. If anyone has suggestions feel free to post them.

Great idea. How about water purification (tablets or filters)?

Von Rheydt
08-14-10, 09:39

Does it have to be MRE's?

I only ask because a mate of mine in the Belgian military does disaster management work full-time and one of his jobs is buying rations. As such he has had his hands on every type of military ration pack - French are the best, sadly nowadays no more wine or cigarettes.

His considered and professional opinion is that if laying in a store for personal use then people would be better going to the local cash and carry (Costco). His reasoning was that at least that way you:

* buy it newly produced with a longer shelf life,
* get to pick your own menu structure,
* probably get it cheaper than MRE's.

PA PATRIOT
08-14-10, 19:20
Does it have to be MRE's?

I only ask because a mate of mine in the Belgian military does disaster management work full-time and one of his jobs is buying rations. As such he has had his hands on every type of military ration pack - French are the best, sadly nowadays no more wine or cigarettes.

His considered and professional opinion is that if laying in a store for personal use then people would be better going to the local cash and carry (Costco). His reasoning was that at least that way you:

* buy it newly produced with a longer shelf life,
* get to pick your own menu structure,
* probably get it cheaper than MRE's.

Can you find out what your friend recommends for long term food items and what he considers a balanced food ration made up from bulk store items?

Thanks

Von Rheydt
08-14-10, 20:08
Can you find out what your friend recommends for long term food items and what he considers a balanced food ration made up from bulk store items?

Thanks

I laugh, not at you, but because I had this conversation with him at the War & Peace show whilst drinking Becks, getting gently drunk, and eating duck pate (pfooey) from a French ration pack.

I recall he said something along the lines of, Governments have the money to pay a small fortune for cardboard boxes that contain stuff that you would not ordinarily eat. He poo pooed survivalist types spending a fortune on stuff they would not ordinarily eat and suggested that bulk shopping of items that you would normally eat would be better.

I agree with this approach and have a 4 - 6 week stock of tinned and powdered goodies on hand at any one time. This is a mix of stuff we normally use and stuff that is normally bought fresh so a concession has been made to buy tinned. The tinned stuff we ordinarily do not buy we give to the homeless shelter every year and buy new to replace it.

PM on its way

PA PATRIOT
08-14-10, 23:01
Here is a source of information I found on the net and while its not exactly on current topic it may prove useful to some.

http://www.stevespages.com/page7c.htm

MSP "Sarge"
08-24-10, 15:46
Very interseting topic Von. Phil this would be a good topic to continue with.

Gary

larryp
08-29-10, 10:16
Don't know about other areas but the local Wal-mart has been having some pretty good deals on canning supplies right now. Remember the cheapest and safest food is that you grow yourself. Even town dwellers can devote a small patch of yard to vegetables instead of another flower bed. Remember the WWII victroy gardens? I've even managed to convince the wife that growing food is a better use of labor and yard space than flower beds that waste space.

PA PATRIOT
09-04-10, 18:21
Gardens are a nice, cheap way of growing veggies for canning/jarring, add a few fruit trees and your really in business. Keeping a garden the proper size to cover your needs but not large enough to make it a target for the unprepared requires a little planning. Some veggies are better then others for canning/jarring and one has to know the correct preparation method which allows maximum bacterial safety and storage life. Reading a book may give one the basics but nothing beats mentoring under a long time canner to learn all the tricks of the trade.

PA PATRIOT
09-04-10, 18:35
Some Canning/Jarring Websites,

http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/clay53.html

http://www.canningusa.com

http://www.food.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=24

http://www.discusscooking.com/forums/f94/

http://www.make-stuff.com/cooking/canning_basics.html

There are plenty more out there!

PA PATRIOT
09-12-10, 00:59
I store a few extra 20lb bags of BBQ charcoal for cooking if the gas or my propane is ever interrupted or depleted. Aldi's food stores have discounted there BBQ charcoal inventory to $1.99 for a 16.6lb bag which I was told is manufactured by Kingsford. I can state that this is quality charcoal as i have used several bags this summer a lone.

http://www.aldifoods.com

HES
09-12-10, 10:14
Question, what is the shelf life of charcoal? Figure keeping it in a Florida garage.

HETZ1313
09-12-10, 23:29
charcoal should be good for ever keeped dry I would think.

mlk18
09-12-10, 23:43
Even town dwellers can devote a small patch of yard to vegetables instead of another flower bed.

As a town dweller without the time to get a real garden going (yet) I threw up some hooks on the patio and set up some of those goofy upside down planters. Was pulling in cherry tomatoes and strawberries left and right. I was actually impressed. May add a few other items next spring. Bought the Topsy-Turvys at the end of last season from Walmart, they were around 75% off ($4-5 ea). This would be a great option for apartment dwellers with a patio or deck.

streaker69
09-13-10, 22:13
There is a lot of really good information in this thread. I've already learned stuff that I had never thought of before. I especially liked the method for preserving dried pasta.

I did find something while looking on the website that sells the gamma lids that I bought today and tested out.

On this page (http://www.pleasanthillgrain.com/tilia_food_saver_vacuum.aspx) about halfway down there's the Tilia Jar Sealers. I picked up both sizes today at Bass ProShops for $10 each. I tested them both and they really do seal well, with one caveat. The regular mouth one will not seal on a jar that doesn't have the large glass ring around the bottom of the threads. I saw comments at one place that someone was having trouble with the regular mouth sealing.

Food saver also sells the canisters, but those can be rather pricey, cheapest I found was $20 at Target. Better solution would be to use canning jars. Ball still makes the 1/2 gallon wide mouth mason jar that you can use with the food saver vacuum sealer. Six jars cost around $11.00 and can be mail ordered or if you're in an area like mine, can be picked up at grocery stores or small town hardware/houseware stores.

You can reseal the jars very easily as long as you don't bend them when you break the vacuum, so some care needs to be taken when opening the jar. If you want to be sure that the seal doesn't get broken during storage, you can use the bands that come with the jars to hold the lid on.

PA PATRIOT
09-14-10, 12:57
Question, what is the shelf life of charcoal? Figure keeping it in a Florida garage.

As long as charcoal is dry up off the floor there is no shelve life as far as Kingsford charcoal company is concerned. Now Moisture content inside charcoal can rise in very humid conditions but the only affect it will have would be a slower start when trying to ignite it. I like charcoal as by its self it produces very little smoke and one can use as little as needed to get the cooking job done. I ended up buying 40 bags placing each in a doubled dollar store trash bag and storing them in the outdoor shed until I split it up between my home and bug out location. Total investment was $86.40 (w/tax) for 664lbs of charcoal, not bad since it will basically last forever when properly stored.

LHS
09-14-10, 13:17
As a town dweller without the time to get a real garden going (yet) I threw up some hooks on the patio and set up some of those goofy upside down planters. Was pulling in cherry tomatoes and strawberries left and right. I was actually impressed. May add a few other items next spring. Bought the Topsy-Turvys at the end of last season from Walmart, they were around 75% off ($4-5 ea). This would be a great option for apartment dwellers with a patio or deck.

That looks like just what I need to keep a steady supply of fresh mint for my mojito habit.

PA PATRIOT
09-22-10, 14:43
Had a live practice run with the bug out gear moving to are shortest distance relocation camp which is only 150 miles from the daily homestead. I did not announce the time or date to the family prior to this run and conducted it during "Rush Hour" to simulate heavy traffic conditions. Here are the results both good and bad,

Load and go,
As soon as the kids got off the bus Friday and walked Thur the front door I announced a Road trip and that we had to depart in 10 minutes. The kids looked at me as if it was a joke but soon realized that the timer was on and we were out the door with no excuses. The Wife who just pulled into the driveway was not in the mood for anything but a hot bath and some dinner. The first and only words out of her mouth were "Your Shitting Me, NOW!" but started grabbing her assigned gear and storage bins. Total time it took to load up and attach the camper to the back of the truck was 21 minutes without any prodding of the family from me. So I would have to grade this event a "C" since the family did know nothing really was going on so they sandbag a bit.

Trip to the bug-out location,
"SLOW" I have to give myself a "D" as most of my routes were jammed with Friday night traffic and my work around routes just didn't product the driving time savings I hoped for. I will have to locate and drive new routes at high traffic times to see what if any improvement could be discovered. One thing I did notice is that the newest GPS's which deploy traffic avoidance programs based on current traffic conditions did help greatly. More then once it made route changes which I considered crazy but later found that it directed us around jams which would have stopped us dead in are tracks. Normal driving time is 2.5 hours but with the heavy traffic the trip ran 4 hours and change.

Unpack and Set-up,
Now here is were you find all the things that were left behind that you really needed. To my amazement all numbered storage bins were packed, weapons/armor/ammo and seasonal clothes were correct. All the food/first aid and toilet items were accounted for and in less then 30 minutes after arrival the camp was fully up and running. After starting the well pump and hot water heater the wife finally got her hot bath and plate full of canned stew. Grade for this area was a "A+".

I found a few weak areas in my bug-out plan which need to be addressed but as with every plan refinement is always needed. But unless we put are planning and gear to the test one would never know the weak areas. I use all the gear I list in this section and so far none have let me down.

PA PATRIOT
09-27-10, 07:30
Test post,

Has anyone been having problems with posting in this section? I recently seen were I make a post and it shows that I have a new post with the date and time of that post on the main section were you select to enter this thread but my post does not show up in the body of the thread.

Anyone else having this same problem?

Edited to add that the problem has not surfaced in the last day so hopefully its gone for good.

streaker69
10-03-10, 14:29
I got some of the Gamma-Seal lids and buckets just this week, they worth the money for them. I also got the O2 absorbers with them. The only hitch I found is that my wife had a tough time opening them. So I made a little wrench.

http://members.netjunkies.net/streaker/files/GammaSeal-Lid-Wrench1.jpg
http://members.netjunkies.net/streaker/files/GammaSeal-Lid-Wrench2.jpg

motorwerks
10-07-10, 02:08
Its funny I hadn't even thought of Charcoal, I always just planned on being the first to hit lowes or home depo with bolt cutters and stocking up on tanks...... but since thats not a reality, and was more of a joke really. I suppose I should look into at least a little.

johnnychimpo
11-21-10, 21:35
Most helpful thread I've read in a while.

bignc
01-16-11, 16:09
I know, I'm new here (I think this is even my first or second post) and that this is a sticky but I hope you fellows keep this one going. I live in the country basically and on some acreage but my wife and I work 40 and 25 minutes (respectively) away from home. Therefore, our "go bags" are designed to get us home with or without the vehicles. The kids go to school where my wife teaches and it is about 40 minutes from my place of employment. We have a "meet" place selected between their location and home and plans to wait, communicate, etc. Then of course, planning to stay at home during whatever happening is another issue- so I like what I have read so far (and have gained exactly 4 bookmarks) and am ready for more from you expert gentlemen/ women... So hi, nice to meet you and thanks for the info!

500grains
01-17-11, 11:45
I still have some canned corn and stewed tomatoes in cans left over from the 2000 computer software scare which never materialized. Last month I tried a can of each and they were just fine to eat.

Lately I have been laying in stores of pinto beans (56% fiber) and rice. They last a long time if kept in Wal Mart plastic storage boxes. With a little gravy mix, or some spices or some canned goods, you can eat beans and rice pretty much forever. Flour does not last too long unfortunately.

Yesterday a local grocery was having a case lot sale. For $80 I bought what I figure is 1 month's worth of food. However, it was mostly canned stuff. At 50 cents a can, canned food is expensive compared to beans and rice.

There is the problem of protein. Spam, canned tuna, etc. help fill the gap. But fresh meat will be important long term.

500grains
01-17-11, 11:49
I know, I'm new here (I think this is even my first or second post) and that this is a sticky but I hope you fellows keep this one going. I live in the country basically and on some acreage but my wife and I work 40 and 25 minutes (respectively) away from home. Therefore, our "go bags" are designed to get us home with or without the vehicles. The kids go to school where my wife teaches and it is about 40 minutes from my place of employment. We have a "meet" place selected between their location and home and plans to wait, communicate, etc. Then of course, planning to stay at home during whatever happening is another issue- so I like what I have read so far (and have gained exactly 4 bookmarks) and am ready for more from you expert gentlemen/ women... So hi, nice to meet you and thanks for the info!

Sounds like you are on the right track! Do you have plenty of ammo and first aid supplies? Can you suture a wound? Do you have antibiotics? Can you cook with the power and gas turned off? Are there bridges in your area which will need to be disrupted to keep undesirables out?

I assume that there are deer and wild pigs near where you live that can be hunted, and if so that is a Godsend.

Do you have plans with the neighbors for neighborhood patrols and road blocks (boulders, trenches, etc.) as appropriate to limit access to your AO?

PA PATRIOT
01-17-11, 16:28
I have been working on several projects so my hunt for the great deals which may help cut the cost of laying in supply's and gear was placed on the back burner. But one tit-bit I can offer for folks living in PA is that most of the major food chain stores have been running insane deals on canned/dry goods (Current with long exp dates) and offering discount coupons which take either $5.00 or $10.00 off your total order. Just in the last two weeks I rotated my entire bunker stock at a price I didn't think possible but the price wars are going strong here so I'M taking advantage. The stores currently running the deals are Redners, Giant and Bottom Dollar, I'll be up-dating future deals as they hit.

bignc
01-17-11, 17:42
Sounds like you are on the right track! Do you have plenty of ammo and first aid supplies? Can you suture a wound? Do you have antibiotics? Can you cook with the power and gas turned off? Are there bridges in your area which will need to be disrupted to keep undesirables out?

I assume that there are deer and wild pigs near where you live that can be hunted, and if so that is a Godsend.

Do you have plans with the neighbors for neighborhood patrols and road blocks (boulders, trenches, etc.) as appropriate to limit access to your AO?

EXCELLENT stuff, 500! I am good and always getting better on ammo and first aid, I am passable with sutures but we have no antibiotics lying around. Cooking- yes and lots of deer, pig, turkey, squirrel, 'coon, 'possum and more (I am worried that others around may over hunt them in a real bad situation.) I actually am not sure how I feel about this really but I have family and friends that would equal 4 able bodied men, 4 useful and helpful (and probably more valuable than me) women and 3 additional children. (The agreement is that they be able to be self sufficient for 3 months at a minimum and I happen to have verified that each family can eat and drink water without utilizing our resources.)
I REALLY want more ideas about limiting access or defending the place- not something I have any training in other than common sense....Keep it coming!

brianc3
01-17-11, 18:24
I have been increasing my food supply recently as well. 1 thing I noticed and was looking for some opinion is what is the difference between canned goods (or any goods for that matter) which are stamped "best before date XXXXX" is best before similar to an expiration or is it just for taste. Thanks.

brianc3
01-17-11, 18:31
Had a live practice run with the bug out gear moving to are shortest distance relocation camp which is only 150 miles from the daily homestead. I did not announce the time or date to the family prior to this run and conducted it during "Rush Hour" to simulate heavy traffic conditions. Here are the results both good and bad,

Load and go,
As soon as the kids got off the bus Friday and walked Thur the front door I announced a Road trip and that we had to depart in 10 minutes. The kids looked at me as if it was a joke but soon realized that the timer was on and we were out the door with no excuses. The Wife who just pulled into the driveway was not in the mood for anything but a hot bath and some dinner. The first and only words out of her mouth were "Your Shitting Me, NOW!" but started grabbing her assigned gear and storage bins. Total time it took to load up and attach the camper to the back of the truck was 21 minutes without any prodding of the family from me. So I would have to grade this event a "C" since the family did know nothing really was going on so they sandbag a bit.

Trip to the bug-out location,
"SLOW" I have to give myself a "D" as most of my routes were jammed with Friday night traffic and my work around routes just didn't product the driving time savings I hoped for. I will have to locate and drive new routes at high traffic times to see what if any improvement could be discovered. One thing I did notice is that the newest GPS's which deploy traffic avoidance programs based on current traffic conditions did help greatly. More then once it made route changes which I considered crazy but later found that it directed us around jams which would have stopped us dead in are tracks. Normal driving time is 2.5 hours but with the heavy traffic the trip ran 4 hours and change.

Unpack and Set-up,
Now here is were you find all the things that were left behind that you really needed. To my amazement all numbered storage bins were packed, weapons/armor/ammo and seasonal clothes were correct. All the food/first aid and toilet items were accounted for and in less then 30 minutes after arrival the camp was fully up and running. After starting the well pump and hot water heater the wife finally got her hot bath and plate full of canned stew. Grade for this area was a "A+".

I found a few weak areas in my bug-out plan which need to be addressed but as with every plan refinement is always needed. But unless we put are planning and gear to the test one would never know the weak areas. I use all the gear I list in this section and so far none have let me down.

Phila PD,

just out of curiosity did it take alot of effort on your part to get your family on board with your preparations or did they have a desire on their own to be ready? My wife doesn't even give these issues a passing thought, I do most of my prep on the down low so to speak.

PA PATRIOT
01-18-11, 23:02
Phila PD,

just out of curiosity did it take alot of effort on your part to get your family on board with your preparations or did they have a desire on their own to be ready? My wife doesn't even give these issues a passing thought, I do most of my prep on the down low so to speak.

The wife was well aware of my Bunker-In/Bug-out lifestyle before she married this old Devil dog and the kids were raised from the start that daddy likes to be prepared for bad happenings. I have converted friends and family to simple planning and kits and once the survival seed is planted most are able to bring the wife and kids aboard without much problem. Just have the wife research some recent natural disasters like New Orleans and such and that should help change her mind set a bit.

PA PATRIOT
01-18-11, 23:10
I have been increasing my food supply recently as well. 1 thing I noticed and was looking for some opinion is what is the difference between canned goods (or any goods for that matter) which are stamped "best before date XXXXX" is best before similar to an expiration or is it just for taste. Thanks.

RESOURCES:

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): Health Topic: Foodborne Illnesses

http://www.cdc.gov/health/foodill.htm

FoodSafety.gov

http://www.foodsafety.gov/

Partnership for Food Safety Education

http://www.fightbac.org/

RESOURCES:

Dietitians of Canada

http://www.dietitians.ca/

Canadian Partnership for Consumer Food Safety Education

http://www.canfightbac.org/en/

References:

Consumer advice. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) website. Available at: http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~lrd/advice.html. Accessed July 10, 2003.

Focus on: food product dating. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) website. Available at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/pubs/dating.htm. Accessed July 10, 2003.

Foodborne illness. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website. Available at:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dbmd/diseaseinfo/foodborneinfections_g.htm. Accessed July 10, 2003.

Food storage information. Food Marketing Institute website. Available at: http://www.fmi.org/consumer/foodkeeper/brochure.cfm. Accessed July 10, 2003.

Frequently asked questions about food safety from the USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline. United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) website. Available at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/hotlinefaqindex.htm. Accessed July 10, 2003.

Mead PS, Slutsker L, Dietz V, et al. Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerging Infectious Diseases. 1999;5:607-625.

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/nutrition/food-expiration-dates-what-do-they-really-mean#ixzz1BSGl4KFP

motorwerks
01-18-11, 23:32
Phila PD,

I'm on the same page. My wife knows I have about a weeks worth of food for her and I, but she doesn't know about most of the plans.

PA PATRIOT
01-19-11, 00:05
I made a rookie mistake which will cost me the value of three rifles I own, let me explain. First I usually only use heated Golden Rods in combination with a dry moisture absorbent in my safes. So about six months ago my source for my "Dry" moisture absorbent was out of stock so I tried a cheap alternative called Power Moisture Absorbent distributed Thur Ocean Desert Sales out of Philadelphia.

The first few units worked as designed being swapped out every 30 days until tonight when I opened my safe to find heavy corrosion on a Winchester Ranger .44 Magnum, a single shot H&R 270 Handy-rifle and minor damage on my Clark Custom Ruger 10/22. Thank God the other guns in that safe escaped damage as there worth was several thousand dollars.

So let me get to the "How it Happen" part were I'M still kicking myself in the azz for using this product. How Power Moisture Absorbent works is that a plastic container is divided into a upper and lower section with the upper section being filled with Anhydrous Calcium Chloride pellets and the lower section is a catch area for the moisture that drips down. Now I inspect the unit for defects and found none so I placed it in a secure area mid-level inside the side on the first of the month. So today I decided to do a battery check on installed lights the AR's/AK's carry and when I open the safe the damage hit me like a ton of bricks.

Now Calcium Chloride is a form of salt and what happen here is that a small crack occurred that allowed the collecting fluid drip down onto my Winchester which droplets sprayed off that hitting the H&R and Clark Custom. Now the Winchester received the most damage with long corrosion lines running down both sides of the feed tube, receiver and trigger. This fluid found its way inside the action causing heavy corrosion inside but the action will cycle. I will have to do a full break down to see all the damage and try to clean and buff it back into working order. The good thing is no fluid made it inside the barrel or chamber so accuracy should be normal for the gun. Once she is restored this will be my truck gun as its value is shot due to heavy pitting. The H&R also took heavy corrosion damage but not as bad as the Winchester so her new roll once cleaned up will just be that of a camp gun for guest and kids to shoot. Now my poor Clark Custom 10/22 took some damage from spray with very minor pitting on the lower barrel (Not to bad) at the receiver and three small spots on the side of the bolt.

While the 10/22 damage is minor the pitting I'M sure will kill its resale value if I ever wanted to sell it. So I figure my total loss in value at $700.00 to $800.00 for all three guns so I hope everyone can learn from my mistake and only use "DRY" moisture absorbents around your guns. I may make a homeowners claim as my rifles are covered but I will have to see if the payout will jack my rates were I pay back the pay out due to a rate increase.

motorwerks
01-23-11, 12:18
That sucks. I'm lucky enough to live in an area that's dry enough to not have to worry to much about Rust, and moist enough to not have to worry to much about wood drying out. Our Climate in Sacramento CA is pretty much perfect. Its the Local Politics that suck.

PA PATRIOT
03-11-11, 18:49
While on the move or riding the event out at a remote bug-out camp one has to stay informed on whats going on in the outside world. So to that end I have small hand crank powered radios that receive normal AM/FM and weather channels which for the most part work as required. But I have always found a live picture tells me more that just what a radio news editor sends to be broadcast.

So in my never ending search for low cost items which fill my excepted requirements I have run across a small 7"in screen Digital HD TV which has replaceable built in rechargeable battery's and has excellent digital signal reception. Now the best part is that this Digital TV is currently on sale at Big Lots chain stores for $39.00 under the brand name "Access HD" who made millions of those digital receivers that the government gave free coupons for over the last 2 years.

I have been running this little Digital HD TV hard over the past two weeks to find out what I could expect for battery life on a full charge, what local stations would lock in no matter were I was and how long charging times were from different charging sources until the unit reached full charge.

First I have found that a solid 60 minutes of run time on a full charge is the norm as long as the volume is set at 25 which is more then loud enough to be heard. Next a simple channel scan took one minute and would lock in on average ten or more digital stations. And lastly the time for a full recharge ran about 35 minutes from a wall outlet or the supplied car charger cord. My 5 watt soft solar charging mat took a full 16 hours of sunlight over two days to supply a 65% charge which is ok as this is a last means power generation method and I was able to receive local news channels for 30 minutes.

So as a ending note the Unit offered a very nice picture with acceptable stereo sound, has two stands, a hand held remote and both home and car charging cables at a price most can afford. Its overall size and weight are very compact and lite considering its very good performance.

I'll keep running the unit and report back if anything changes.

http://specials.biglots.com/BigLots03102011MASTER/breakouts/b745360_9.jpg
Manufacturer: GXi International, LLC
Manufacturer Part Number: PTV 7000
Manufacturer Website Address: www.accesshd.tv
Brand Name: GXi
Product Model: PTV 7000
Product Name: Access HD PTV 7000 7" Portable HD LCD TV
Product Type: LCD TV
Screen Size: 7"
Actual Screen Size: 7"
Compatible Technology: HDTV
Aspect Ratio: 16:9
Features: Closed Caption
HDTV Tuner: Yes
Digital Tuner: ATSC
Analog Tuner: NTSC
Maximum Resolution: 480 x 234
Ports: Headphone
Composite Video: Yes
Headphone: Yes
Input Voltage: 110 V AC
Color: Black
Weight (Approximate): 2.20 lb
Dimensions: 5.50" Height x 7.50" Width x 1" Depth
Package Contents:
Access HD PTV 7000 7" Portable HD LCD TV
Remote Control
AC Wall Adapter Power Supply
Cigarette Lighter Adapter Power Supply
Built-in Antenna
Mounting Bracket
Green Compliance: Yes
Green Compliance Certificate/Authority: Energy Star
Country of Origin: China
Dimensions:9.6x8.8x2.4
Warranty:90 day Limited Manufacturer
Materials:Electronic Components
Model No:PTV7000

HES
03-13-11, 14:49
Can you really pull in HD over the air stations with that built in antenna?

PA PATRIOT
03-14-11, 01:15
Can you really pull in HD over the air stations with that built in antenna?

Its a excellent picture for a small Digital TV and with a price of $39.00 I highly doubt one could find better, My unit has been 100% so far and the local stations in Philly are all HD broadcasts so I would have to say "Yes" to your question.

motorwerks
03-14-11, 02:37
Nice I may pick one of those up.

PA PATRIOT
05-09-11, 15:58
Seems some ammunition prices are starting to drop from historic highs with Wal-Mart rolling back prices on .22LR, 9mm,.40S&W and .45acp to almost pre-storage levels. Now all Wal-Marts are not the same pricing wise so you mileage may vary.

I would suggest another shortage on the horizon if Obama is re-elected and tries to push thu some gun or ammo restriction in his last term so the wise shooter may wish to invest a few dollars at todays prices and supply levels then run with the procrastinators later.

NC_DAVE
05-12-11, 20:07
[QUOTE=obucina;461659]I would assume that the containers for the rice and pasta are sealed, no? I am employed by this certain grocery chain and he have issues in the summer with contaminated rice and pasta. Primarily weevils, the heat and humidity especially when being warehoused seem to be the largest issue..of course, per our regulations, the product is a "dispose at store level" which means scan and trash...

This is some thing I have come across serval times while reading up on gardening as i do bit of that as well. Thought this may be worth a try if you have weevils. But I have not peronally tired it.

BAY LEAF Grow bay outside in S.C. Buy dried bay leaf if you are unable to grow it; Dried basil works for keeping pests away. One bay leaf in white flour keeps weevils out and also protects barley, cornmeal, oatmeal, quinoa, and rice. Scatter a few leaves on shelves to repel moths, roaches, earwigs, and mice. Flies hate the smell of bay leaves.

PA PATRIOT
05-24-11, 10:41
Some assorted gear from Blackwater on clearance at BoTach Tactical, all selling for $2.95

http://www.botachtactical.com/blackwater.html

Icculus
05-24-11, 11:13
Some assorted gear from Blackwater on clearance at BoTach Tactical, all selling for $2.95

http://www.botachtactical.com/blackwater.html

From the botach site:

*** PLEASE NOTE: Blackwater SALE has been put on HOLD as we verify inventory levels.

PA PATRIOT
05-30-11, 21:50
K.L. Davis
Industry Professional

Freeze Dried Food Special

There are a lot of people looking to stock up on foods... I have the chance to get M4C Forum members a great deal on Wise freeze-dried foods.

Contact K.L. Davis by M4C Forum message (only) for more information.

Just a repost here for those looking for a good deal on Wise Freeze Dried Food

Icculus
07-06-11, 15:25
Sorry guys, should have posted this earlier but I think the sale still runs through today if you're interested.

2x20lbs bags of charcoal -- $7.97 @ Home Depot. Stuff keeps basically forever; a good (temporary) source of heat and cooking and probably the best price/lb I've seen. No limit on purchase--I had a buddy who bought a whole pallet (24 double packs--960lbs)

bignc
07-07-11, 11:03
I had troublefinding square food grade containers. But at firehouse subs (may be a regional chain) they will sell you the round 5 gallon buckets they get pickles in for $2! They give the money to their foundation and I only had to soak the buckets and lids in baking soda to clear out the smell! Worked for me even though they are round....

PA PATRIOT
07-16-11, 23:02
Local area store in Philadelphia call "ShopRite" has its "Can-Can" sale starting Sunday, July-17 and with a store savers card each can of Veggies and other assorted products averages 0.32 cents a 15oz to 16oz can. I looked last week while shopping and the "Best By Date" on most of the Veggies is April Thur May 2014. We will be rotating are entire stock of can veggies with this sale and moving the stored items to the ready to eat pantry.

PA PATRIOT
07-19-11, 22:35
While shopping today at the local Wal-Mart it appears they are discontinuing selling Mountain House freeze dried meals.

Single serve meals were $3.88 each and two person meals were $4.88 and they had the best selection of all the family favorites.

Since the "Best by" date was 09-2018 and the listed prices are the best I have seen either on-line or retail I decided to buy every package in two local stores for a total of 34 meals with 26 being two person and 8 solo meals.

If your into Mountain House fried Dried for you emergency stores then this is a very good deal.

broylz
07-20-11, 04:40
will definately be checking my local WMs to see if they are doing the same.

Icculus
07-20-11, 09:42
While shopping today at the local Wal-Mart it appears they are discontinuing selling Mountain House freeze dried meals.

Single serve meals were $3.88 each and two person meals were $4.88 and they had the best selection of all the family favorites.

Since the "Best by" date was 09-2018 and the listed prices are the best I have seen either on-line or retail I decided to buy every package in two local stores for a total of 34 meals with 26 being two person and 8 solo meals.

If your into Mountain House fried Dried for you emergency stores then this is a very good deal.

Funny you should mention this. I was in there the other night picking up some .22 and thought I would grab a few MH packs but there were none to be found.

sandz
07-20-11, 13:05
Great thread, and haven't seen this posted. Our local Costco's out here in the Portland, OR area were stocking emergency food supply containers. 200 servings w/a shelf life of 20 years for only $67.00. The wife and I picked up an undisclosed amount. Noticed that they're no longer in stock at most locations and asked an employee about it. She stated that they would NOT be getting anymore in. Went to the suppliers website and they're asking for $115 per 200 serving bucket, BUT if you head here you'll find a 275 serving bucket for $99.99. It may seem like a lot but it amounts to $0.36 per serving. Probably less then what you're paying for now.

[/URL]

Please let me know if the link doesn't work. The containers are airtight and resealable which is handy. They're easily transportable with their built in handle. The wife and I popped one open to sample it, and it's not bad at all. It does require 5 cups of water per 5 serving package. We'll be grabbing individual packets from our opened bucket for camping trips in the future. Great stuff!!!

Edit: URL feature wouldn't work so I'm manually pasting it in here. Again, let me know if it doesn't work.
[url]http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?prodid=11622359&whse=BC&topnav=&cm_sp=RichRelevance-_-categorypageHorizontalTop-_-PopularProductsInCategory (http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11622359&search=emergency+food&Mo=64&cm_re=1_en-_-Top_Left_Nav-_-Top_search&lang=en-US&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&Sp=S&N=5000043&whse=BC&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=Text_Search&Dr=P_CatalogName:BC&Ne=4000000&D=emergency+food&Ntt=emergency+food&No=27&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1)

sandz
07-20-11, 13:09
Don't know if they'll ship across country, but if you're in the Oregon area and in need of ammo check this place out.

http://www.nwarmory.com/specials.html

I've shot several hundred rounds of their S&B 9mm that they have on sale. Can't beat $9.99 for a box of 50!

PA PATRIOT
07-20-11, 16:41

I hit two more Wal-Marts in my area today,(Philly and the nearby Burb's are loaded with Wal-Marts) and was able to pick up a very nice amount of meals cleaning out both stores. Most were two person servings with a few single meals mixed in so I felt as these had the same "Best By" date of 09-2018 it was a easy decision to add to my stores. It appears that Wal-mart is now going to carry little single serve fried dried meals from Coleman at a slightly higher price then the larger Mountain House sold for at full price. Its a shame as I have sampled the Coleman meals and they IMHO are no were near the quality of Mountain House meals.

Reagans Rascals
07-20-11, 17:13
Didn't feel like buying a pricey tac light for my backup HD closet gun so I made this.

1 Brinkman push-button light from Walmart
1 standard scope ring
1 quadrail adapter I took off my AK
and some work with a hand file

I eventually had this:

tnt1106
07-21-11, 11:37
removed upon further reading this is not a legit deal. Apologizes.

PA PATRIOT
07-22-11, 17:09
Aldi's which is a nation wide food chain is selling back-packs for $9.99 which are roomy with padded backs, multi spaces with metal zippers and wide straps. I would say they would be decent as low cost Bug-Out packs for kids and woman.

motorwerks
07-25-11, 02:17
sure enough...

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_14740_ENU_HTML.htm

PA PATRIOT
07-25-11, 17:39
Aldi's which is a nation wide food chain is selling back-packs for $9.99 which are roomy with padded backs, multi spaces with metal zippers and wide straps. I would say they would be decent as low cost Bug-Out packs for kids and woman.

sure enough...

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/2827_14740_ENU_HTML.htm

I picked up a few of those backpacks that Aldi's was selling but they do not look like the ones in Motorwerks link. The ones I got were solid dark brown and a black/gray mix that had large pockets in the right places. I guess Aldi's buys from different vender's depending on region so colors and style vary. But for $9.99 its the best cheap bags I've seen for spare BOB's for kids and woman.

PA PATRIOT
07-25-11, 19:29
I picked up four little button USB two GIG drives for $7.88 each, placed pertinent medical/dental records and insurance info, family contacts and personal information with photo and a few other odds and ends on each. I sealed and placed them inside a small waterproof container with a cord to be worn around the neck like dog tags.

So if we get separated or God forbid are remains found each person has a total record on person.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-2G...Drive/16927835

motorwerks
07-25-11, 19:41
That's an amazing idea!!!!

PA PATRIOT
08-18-11, 22:32
For those needing camping gear I have seen a Wal-Mart in my area clearance out Coleman items, now I'M not sure if this is local event or chain wide but the prices I paid for several camping items were fantastic about 75% off.

I picked up two Perfectemp Platinum Catalytic propane heaters, one 1500+BTU and the other 3000+BTU for heating up the tents in the morning. Also two duel fuel lanterns, Two propane lanterns and a folding travel toilet made by another company.

Since the above are normal Coleman retail items I decided to check the sporting goods section inside the store and saw the same exact model numbers on the shelve. It appears Coleman just changed box design and nothing else.

So it cant hurt to look at your local Wal-Mart to see if they are doing the same.

motorwerks
08-18-11, 22:35
So it cant hurt to look at your local Wal-Mart to see if they are doing the same.

I love it when this thread sends me an Email. I have a Walmart about 5 minutes from me, and another like 15 away. As soon as we get the kids down I'm going to head over there and check it out.

Learner315
08-20-11, 09:49
I just found this post, I was speaking to a salesman last month, he told me 511 Tactical and Carhart both were raising there prices, so any clearance you see are moving stock. I found some good Jacket deals at LA Police Gear

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tacl.html

I just put in an order for 511 Leather gun belt. On clearence for $10, they are $45 from 511's site, here is the link

http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-59502-leather-belt.html

I just checked and Small and Mediums are all that's left, and these belts do seem to run a little small for the size.

Hope that helps.

SIMBA-LEE
09-20-11, 14:58
I usually just buy a little extra when it's on sale. We live in a hurrican zone, and never know what's going to happen.

Robryan
09-21-11, 04:50
Not sure if it has been posted here but Walmart was selling those led solar powered garden lights for $2 each, These can be used as a great shtf item, get about a dozen let them charge up in the day then twist the tops off and set two in each room, no hazards and two will light up a room (I already tried it) plus each one can charge 2 AA batteries.

docsherm
09-21-11, 05:20
Very good idea. I have some in front of my house to light the walkway. Did not think of that. Good call.

Blstr88
09-23-11, 17:46
Stocked up on some canned goods. The Wal-Mart brand stuff really tastes quite good and is considerably cheaper than name brand. I think we walked out of there with 50+ cans for about $40. And it's stuff we'll normally eat here and there so it isnt just going to sit for years and years. I'm thinking about doing that "50 can WalMart run" once per month now...really build up a good pile of cans.

juliomorris
09-23-11, 20:22
Get a dehydrator and buy frozen veggies do them yourself. It is alot cheaper. Also if you look around walmarts in the area where they have the instant potatos the carry hash brown in a milk carton for about 1.20 but if you have access to a mil commisary they have them for about $1 you could buy them and transfer them to mylar bags for long term storage. Dollar stores also have some good deals. also pick up a kids swimming pool the 12' or 14' they make great onion bladders and they should be going on clearance.

Icculus
09-23-11, 20:39
Water filter = $65, plus 5 gallons of clorox = $15

Remember the clorox has to be rotated to. Standard bleach degrades and loses much of it's potency within say 1 year

SIMBA-LEE
09-29-11, 10:25
Remember the clorox has to be rotated to. Standard bleach degrades and loses much of it's potency within say 1 year

Thanks, I didn't know that.

Small backpacks: I bought 10 from a used clothing store @ $3 each. They were heavy duty and looked to be high school/college book/athletic bags.

The same store also had like new military & border patrol uniforms (without the patches) for +/- $3.

PA PATRIOT
10-01-11, 12:24
Discount chain store Aldi's will be selling 3250 watt generators for $199.99 starting on Wednesday Oct.5, several family members have them and they are well built reliable generators.

PA PATRIOT
10-18-11, 19:15
Midway was some very good prices on Cold Steel Items and if you use promo code 50101171 it takes $10.00 off a $50.00 order.

I picked up a Gladius, Katanna Machete and a Two Handed Heavy Machete which all have sheaths included. Total price shipped was $78.00

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/176/176774.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/767/767469.jpg

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/large/190/190386.jpg

motorwerks
10-25-11, 18:14
More Midway deals....

They have a Surefire G3 for $29.99 for my it was $35.11 shipped. :D
I bought mine before I told you guys about it. This is good for me I bought a P-91 bulb by mistake a LONG time ago and I've never had the cash to buy a 3 cell body yet. Now I do, this ones going into my BOB. :D

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/519092/surefire-g3-flashlight-xenon-bulb-with-batteries-3-cr123a-lithium-nitrolon-black

EDIT: hell the 200 lumen bulb costs $31.00 on Midway right now. LOL

PA PATRIOT
10-25-11, 23:15
I have been switching over to Coast LED lights that take standard double AA batteries as they are reasonably priced and offer good output and battery life.

I just don't want to run out of the 123's with no hope of resupply and for what you pay for a set of the 123's I can buy a twenty pack of alkaline batteries at BJ's or Sam's club.

Just a suggestion but take a look at the Coast L-6 which sells at the same price point.

motorwerks
10-25-11, 23:49
I think I have one of those coasts too. All of my weapons lights, my EDC's, Search light, Surfires in my bags, all run CR123's (Except my streamlights all 3 of them are rechargeable) I have about 20 batteries or so on standby generally. One of these days I'm going to be grabbing another 20 or so. As it is I pick up 2 or 4 every time I'm at Lowes. Speaking of which here's some pretty good deals on CR123's I'm local EMS so I may try and see if I can get a discount. One of these days I'm going to order one of the Pelican combos too.

http://www.batterystation.com/cr123a.htm

broylz
10-25-11, 23:55
170 lumens froma single AA battery and only $25 bucks.
http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm
they are currently out of stock on the black ones but here is a green alternative. he should get them back in stock very soon.
http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907s-170-Lumen-Chromatic-Green-Body-White-Light-006.htm

motorwerks
10-26-11, 00:00
170 lumens froma single AA battery and only $25 bucks.
http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907-170-Lumen-002.htm
they are currently out of stock on the black ones but here is a green alternative. he should get them back in stock very soon.
http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/C3-907s-170-Lumen-Chromatic-Green-Body-White-Light-006.htm

Those are kind of cool! Their headlamp is on my to buy list. I have to say some of their claims are pretty crazy. like 8500 Lumens.....

http://shop.gregmcgeeengineering.com/8500-Lumen-85w-45-35w-Five-Mode-HID-Xenon-Flashlight-046.htm

I'm having a hard time with that.

PA PATRIOT
11-27-11, 21:54
Home Depot is selling a Twin Pack of 90 luminous Creed LED compact aluminum flashlights with a tail cap push button switch for $9.88, now any thing that cheap has to be junk right but having that need to know I picked up a pack just to try them out. After messing a round with the lights the battery life on three fresh "AAA" batteries ran one hour and fifty eight minutes with a good bright white beam which had no problem lighting out to about 180 feet. The tail switch was positive and I had my kids try to break the switch with some rough cycling but the light held up.

Now I'M not saying to mount this on a AR or a Shotgun but for a general use solid built Creed LED light that runs on common batteries this is not a bad choice especially when you get two of them for under $10.00

Home Depot has Cyber Monday so all orders have free shipping and returns if needed or you can just run to the local store and pick them up your self.

http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepot/default.aspx?action=entryflash

PA PATRIOT
12-15-11, 21:43
Found a way that saves some money when buying storage or regular use food at Bottom Dollar food markets. Once you sign up for their rewards card they start mailing you coupons for money off your next order and your register receipts all have printed money off your next order coupons as well. What I found out today is that you can combine up to three money off coupons on a single order.

Here is what we did,

Wife used a mailed $10.00 off a $50.00 purchase coupon and added two printed register receipt coupons from prior visits which were $5.00 off a $50.00 order. So her $50.00 order only cost $30.00 and since I used the same coupon combo I also saved $20.00 off my order.

Bottom Dollar also accepts manufactures coupons so you can make the savings grow even larger.

This is a good way to buy storage foods at a great savings.

PA PATRIOT
12-26-11, 16:14
Home Depot is selling a Twin Pack of 90 luminous Creed LED compact aluminum flashlights with a tail cap push button switch for $9.88, now any thing that cheap has to be junk right but having that need to know I picked up a pack just to try them out. After messing a round with the lights the battery life on three fresh "AAA" batteries ran one hour and fifty eight minutes with a good bright white beam which had no problem lighting out to about 180 feet. The tail switch was positive and I had my kids try to break the switch with some rough cycling but the light held up.

Now I'M not saying to mount this on a AR or a Shotgun but for a general use solid built Creed LED light that runs on common batteries this is not a bad choice especially when you get two of them for under $10.00

Home Depot has Cyber Monday so all orders have free shipping and returns if needed or you can just run to the local store and pick them up your self.

http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepot/default.aspx?action=entryflash

I have been playing a round with these lights and have found they are well built and durable to shock and recoil while offering a bright white light at very good range.

I had a few reserve long guns which were absent of a light and figured that any light is better then no light so I mounted one on a Remington 870 12 gauge and that unit was able to handle 25 rounds of Reduced Recoil Winchester Ranger Buckshot and 25 rounds of low recoil slug just fine.

The other unit was kid torture tested by being thrown in the air and skipped a cross the ground for about a hour and the light still works without issue even with all the dings and dents.

Long term durability against recoil will still have to be determined but so far both units are still working fine.

Home Depot currently has a clearance on these twin packs at $8.00 and while there are much better light units on the market these $4.00ea Creed LED's should suffice until you acquire better and is of course better then nothing.

To see if these lights are available in your area click this link http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepot/default.aspx?action=entryflash then enter your zip code and SKU#507 252. The site will tell you which stores in your area have units left.

kal0220
12-27-11, 17:13
Pretty decent lights. I did have one DOA and will be returning them tomorrow. I'm going to mount one to my 12.5" and take it to the range and see how it holds up. I'll post the results on how they held up.

I have been playing a round with these lights and have found they are well built and durable to shock and recoil while offering a bright white light at very good range.

I had a few reserve long guns which were absent of a light and figured that any light is better then no light so I mounted one on a Remington 870 12 gauge and that unit was able to handle 25 rounds of Reduced Recoil Winchester Ranger Buckshot and 25 rounds of low recoil slug just fine.

The other unit was kid torture tested by being thrown in the air and skipped a cross the ground for about a hour and the light still works without issue even with all the dings and dents.

Long term durability against recoil will still have to be determined but so far both units are still working fine.

Home Depot currently has a clearance on these twin packs at $8.00 and while there are much better light units on the market these $4.00ea Creed LED's should suffice until you acquire better and is of course better then nothing.

To see if these lights are available in your area click this link http://homedepot.shoplocal.com/homedepot/default.aspx?action=entryflash then enter your zip code and SKU#507 252. The site will tell you which stores in your area have units left.

RiggerGod
12-31-11, 16:23
I got four pack of the CE Tech Cree LED lights for $3.98 each at my local Home Depot! They are an okay light for the money.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202889958/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I got a three pack of the Tech Lite Lumen Master from my local Costco that is very similar but seems to be of a much better quality. They were 3 for $20 or so. Couldn't find a link for them on line. They have three settings low high, and strobe.
Getting well stocked on cheep-o lights!

PA PATRIOT
12-31-11, 17:07
I got four pack of the CE Tech Cree LED lights for $3.98 each at my local Home Depot! They are an okay light for the money.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202889958/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I got a three pack of the Tech Lite Lumen Master from my local Costco that is very similar but seems to be of a much better quality. They were 3 for $20 or so. Couldn't find a link for them on line. They have three settings low high, and strobe.
Getting well stocked on cheep-o lights!

Was that $3.98 a two pack or per flashlight?

If per pack that is a hell of a price for a very decent light.

I will pick up several more packs if they reduced the price down to $3.98 for two lights.

RiggerGod
01-01-12, 02:59
$3.98 per two pack!
But they did ring up as $8 at the register. I had to go show the cashier that the bin price said $3.98. Maybe I should have got more:D

PA PATRIOT
01-01-12, 10:01
I'll be checking my local stores for that price as that is truly a steal for these super bright white cree lights.

dvdmacdaddy
01-02-12, 13:55
My brother in law works for this company. The food is pretty cheap lasts for 25 yrs in sealed buckets and all proceeds go to help feed the hungry. You can pick up a bucket with 8 different flavors 345 servings for under $80 (30 day supply).

http://breedlove.org/pro_dehydrated_disaster_emergency_preparedness_food.html

PA PATRIOT
01-02-12, 21:15
My brother in law works for this company. The food is pretty cheap lasts for 25 yrs in sealed buckets and all proceeds go to help feed the hungry. You can pick up a bucket with 8 different flavors 345 servings for under $80 (30 day supply).

Never heard of this company before, can you provide links to some customer views of the product?

dvdmacdaddy
01-03-12, 08:03
I don't know of any customer reviews as they are a no profit organization that sells primarly to other non profit organizations and just started marketing to the public. However my brother in-law is getting me packages of each item they have to sample and will post my comments. I will ask if he knows of any customer reviews.

slickdj96
01-03-12, 16:27
I don't know of any customer reviews as they are a no profit organization that sells primarly to other non profit organizations and just started marketing to the public. However my brother in-law is getting me packages of each item they have to sample and will post my comments. I will ask if he knows of any customer reviews.

I'm interested in these as well so I'll be looking forward to your review.

Just a Jarhead
01-06-12, 03:40
Not sure if it has been posted here but Walmart was selling those led solar powered garden lights for $2 each, These can be used as a great shtf item, get about a dozen let them charge up in the day then twist the tops off and set two in each room, no hazards and two will light up a room (I already tried it) plus each one can charge 2 AA batteries.

Just an FYI. Having read this post from you a while ago, I had been wanting to try this so I went to Walmart yesterday here in south FL. and they had about 15 different boxes (mostly decorative style differences). 14 of the boxes said they had 1 led and classified them as Bright $4.37 each. Only 1 box had 2 led and classified them as Brighter $6.87 each.

I got one of each to try. The 2 Led is much brighter and it would take about at least 6-12 of these per room to produce and real useable light IMHO i.e. reading etc. I would say each 2 led light is equivalent to 1 candle with the top removed, sitting on a table and no globe surrounding it. I still see them as having some possible use such as for when you need controlled low lighting etc. so I'm going to pick up a dozen of the 2 led units. But for general/overall lighting, I'll be using mostly Coleman LED 190 luminous camp lanterns with D batteries that I can recharge using a solar charger. That and my Aladdin oil lamp.

Naxet1959
01-06-12, 10:16

I picked up 12 of these at HD and when I got home,I compared the light put out to a SureFire 6P Defender (120 lumens) that I just got in the mail. Shockingly, the Creed was a brighter, more focused light... at 88 lumens.

PA PATRIOT
01-06-12, 17:17
I picked up 12 of these at HD and when I got home,I compared the light put out to a SureFire 6P Defender (120 lumen's) that I just got in the mail. Shockingly, the Creed was a brighter, more focused light... at 88 lumen's.

Comparing these E-Tech Cree LED lamps to several other quality tactical lights from 125 Thur 200 lumen's that I own the E-Tech lights have a better focused blinding pure white beam that beats all the rest.

I'M still testing the durability of these units for hard use but so far they are holding up without issue.

I picked up several more packs just to put in storage for that rainy day.

Grim Fandango
01-10-12, 23:59
Comparing these E-Tech Cree LED lamps to several other quality tactical lights from 125 Thur 200 lumen's that I own the E-Tech lights have a better focused blinding pure white beam that beats all the rest.

I'M still testing the durability of these units for hard use but so far they are holding up without issue.

I picked up several more packs just to put in storage for that rainy day.

After reading about them here, I went out and bought three of these 2-packs on sale for $8 each. Two of the six lights didn't work, so I put those two back in one of the packs (they each came from a different pair) and exchanged them for another set. They all work now, and they are very bright, but they're not uniform in their brightness. Some are noticeably dimmer than the others, and that's using good Duracells, not the cheap batteries they come with. Color temperatures are different as well, ranging from soft yellow to nearly blue.

Overall, I feel like they're an ok product at this price. The two brightest out of my six went in my get home bag. The others are on general house duty until I find a specific use for them. I'd like to find an inexpensive mount and see how they hold up on my AR. There are a lot of other useful things you can buy for the price of an X300, or even a TLR-1. As someone else said, it'd be better than not having a light at all.

I should note that these didn't stack up against my little Surefire Backup light in terms of brightness, consistency, or range, but that's to be expected.

dvdmacdaddy
01-11-12, 19:43

Review Number 1

This is one bag of each product that comes in the most popular variety disaster bucket.
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2395

On the menu for dinner tonight is the Red Beans & Rice
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2396

Uncooked right out of the bag
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2397

Cooked
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2398

Preparation was done exactly as directed, no spices (salt, pepper, butter, etc) was added. The 200 gram bag only required 2 cups water, however I would recommend adding a bit more water and cooking a bit longer. The beans were done but not as soft as I like my beans. My family and I loved this one. It was very good. The 200 gram bag was a little shy of having enough for a full meal for 3 people (2 adults, 1 Child). I am going to buy this one again, it would be good for camping trips, hunting trips, SHTF situations, emergencies, or just an easy quick dinner.

PA PATRIOT
01-12-12, 10:28
After reading about them here, I went out and bought three of these 2-packs on sale for $8 each. Two of the six lights didn't work, so I put those two back in one of the packs (they each came from a different pair) and exchanged them for another set. They all work now, and they are very bright, but they're not uniform in their brightness. Some are noticeably dimmer than the others, and that's using good Duracells, not the cheap batteries they come with. Color temperatures are different as well, ranging from soft yellow to nearly blue.

Overall, I feel like they're an ok product at this price. The two brightest out of my six went in my get home bag. The others are on general house duty until I find a specific use for them. I'd like to find an inexpensive mount and see how they hold up on my AR. There are a lot of other useful things you can buy for the price of an X300, or even a TLR-1. As someone else said, it'd be better than not having a light at all.

I should note that these didn't stack up against my little Surefire Backup light in terms of brightness, consistency, or range, but that's to be expected.

After reading your post I opened five packs of the lamps to see if any would fail to work or had different tints to the color of the light beam.

I also used two fresh 20 packs of alkaline battery's in place of the supplied standard battery's. All but one light worked and on inspection it appeared that I must have installed the battery's wrong as a simple removal and re-installation of the battery's corrected the issue.

As to brightness levels and a tint of color in the beam I didn't really see any difference in brightness levels from unit to unit except I did see the very slight blue tint you were speaking of in the aurora around the main light beam. I'm not sure if the tint is caused by the LED or from the the raised crown of the strike face reflecting back on the lens. Either way that very slight blue Aurora tint really does not affect the distance the focused beam produces.

As to durability I did a simple drop test of each unit by dropping them from 20 feet and allowing it to bounce off a carpeted floor three times each. I also allowed the kids to thrown one a round for about an hour outside and while the outer case is banged up pretty good the light still worked.

In a previous post I mentioned that I mounted one of these lights on a Remington 870 12ga and fired 25 rds of reduced recoil buck shot and 25 rds of slug plus roughly 50rds of number #7 1/2 low brass bird shot. Now this is no were near a proper durability test against recoil but so far this single Cree LED light appear to be able to handle light to moderate impact/recoil and continue working.

I report back if the one mounted on the 870 craps out with continued use.

shua713
01-12-12, 11:04
here is a web page with some good info that you could download and put on a usb flash drive to refer to. these are things that will cost you nothing but have a wealth of good knowledge.

http://www.alabamapreppersnetwork.com/2011/01/top-10-survival-downloads-you-should.html

alienb1212
01-12-12, 20:32
here is a web page with some good info that you could download and put on a usb flash drive to refer to. these are things that will cost you nothing but have a wealth of good knowledge.

http://www.alabamapreppersnetwork.com/2011/01/top-10-survival-downloads-you-should.html

Thanks, had quite a few there that I had not seen elsewhere. My random assortment of computer-readable stuff is approaching 5gb of PDFs and like, and about 40gb of training videos...

Grim Fandango
01-13-12, 15:50
Just luck of the draw, I suppose. If I'd bought ten more, those two still might have been the only ones that didn't work.

What mount did you use to put the light on your shotgun? I went looking for a mount at the gun show last weekend, but I forgot to take one of the lights with me. I don't have calipers, so I haven't been able to determine with precision what the diameter of the tube is. It seems to be just about an inch, but all the one inch mounts I found (DD and VTAC) looked too small. Thoughts? I'm going shopping for a pistol light tomorrow so I'd like to knock this out at the same time.

After reading your post I opened five packs of the lamps to see if any would fail to work or had different tints to the color of the light beam.

I also used two fresh 20 packs of alkaline battery's in place of the supplied standard battery's. All but one light worked and on inspection it appeared that I must have installed the battery's wrong as a simple removal and re-installation of the battery's corrected the issue.

As to brightness levels and a tint of color in the beam I didn't really see any difference in brightness levels from unit to unit except I did see the very slight blue tint you were speaking of in the aurora around the main light beam. I'm not sure if the tint is caused by the LED or from the the raised crown of the strike face reflecting back on the lens. Either way that very slight blue Aurora tint really does not affect the distance the focused beam produces.

As to durability I did a simple drop test of each unit by dropping them from 20 feet and allowing it to bounce off a carpeted floor three times each. I also allowed the kids to thrown one a round for about an hour outside and while the outer case is banged up pretty good the light still worked.

In a previous post I mentioned that I mounted one of these lights on a Remington 870 12ga and fired 25 rds of reduced recoil buck shot and 25 rds of slug plus roughly 50rds of number #7 1/2 low brass bird shot. Now this is no were near a proper durability test against recoil but so far this single Cree LED light appear to be able to handle light to moderate impact/recoil and continue working.

I report back if the one mounted on the 870 craps out with continued use.

dvdmacdaddy
01-13-12, 16:44

Review Number 2

Package
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2404

Uncooked out of the package
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2405

Cooked in the pot
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2406

Cooked in the bowl
http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2407

Once again was prepared as directed. It does required 12 cups per the directions for a 250 gram bag. It was okay kind of bland tasting, could have used about ˝ the water and some additional spices. Without any additional spices my family would eat it but I went back added some spices and they liked it much better (added beef bouillon cube, garlic powder, chili powder, and pepper) all spices that can be stored.

dvdmacdaddy
01-18-12, 11:40

Review Number 3

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2417

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2418

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2419

This one again was cooked as directed. My family and I like this one.

MudPuppy
01-23-12, 18:25
This is some awesome info guys

ffhounddog
01-23-12, 19:04
Cannot forget the trash/Recycle pyle at the office.

I got two Maglite flashlights in the package because we were told to go to LED flashlights.

Fridge died on me and found more issues after the repair guy came.

He showed me how to replace my motherboard on the Fridge and I also found two pipes that were substandard and he just charged me parts for the pipes and helped me learn more about plumbing.

Granted it took my Training class money to do all the repairs. Hopefully I can forgo this carbine class and get a pistol class that I need more.

mallowpufft
02-04-12, 20:11

Thanks for the link. I recently got SWMBO to agree to let me start stocking up further than the 14-21 day supply of canned stuff that we usually keep around. I think the prices from Breedlove sealed the deal for getting her on board. Adding in shipping it came to $103 which is still a screaming deal. I did notice that all of the servings come in under 200 calories which is kind of "meh", but as a supplement and for the price it's hard to beat.
I just got the bucket in last night and it was squished, so to speak. Is that normal for something that's been purged and has an O2 absorber in it?

broylz
02-06-12, 22:17
now just get something like a bucket of rice or pasta to extend the meals. cheaper and lasts just as long.

PA PATRIOT
02-08-12, 11:03
Dunham's Sporting Goods has a decent sale on the Savage 350 security pump 12ga shotgun with ghost ring sights. A few of my buddies own these as home defense shotguns and they work nicely in that role.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/ZkjHGLo70_BYkHMdwQt.png

http://www.dunhamssports.com/weekly-circular/

Savage 350 security pump gun with ghost ring sights, synthetic stock, 12 ga 18.5" barrel with 2-3/4" or 3" chamber.

$199.99 and then take off another $25.00 for a in store special and the finial price is $174.99 + your local state tax and Instant check fee.

dvdmacdaddy
02-11-12, 12:48

Review 4

Chicken Fried Rice with Chicken Strips sorry its a little worn.

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2491

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2492

http://m4carbine.net/picture.php?albumid=468&pictureid=2493

This one my family loved and didn't required a lot of water. As with the others this one was cooked excatly as directed.

Sorry for the delay in reviews been busy.

dvdmacdaddy
02-11-12, 12:51
Thanks for the link. I recently got SWMBO to agree to let me start stocking up further than the 14-21 day supply of canned stuff that we usually keep around. I think the prices from Breedlove sealed the deal for getting her on board. Adding in shipping it came to $103 which is still a screaming deal. I did notice that all of the servings come in under 200 calories which is kind of "meh", but as a supplement and for the price it's hard to beat.
I just got the bucket in last night and it was squished, so to speak. Is that normal for something that's been purged and has an O2 absorber in it?

I don't know I can ask, mine isnt squished but I buy on location. Can you post or pm me a picture?

mallowpufft
02-12-12, 09:17
Here's the bucket: http://img.tapatalk.com/4c681723-d7af-ef55.jpg

I don't mind starting to use it as I want to get the family accustomed to it but it will be another month till I can buy another so I'm really hoping the seal hasn't been compromised yet.

dvdmacdaddy
02-20-12, 13:50
After sending my brother inlaw the pics, he said they didn't flush it with enough nitrogen and that's the oxygen absorber pulling all the oxygen in and causing the bucket to collapse. He said he hasn't seen one that bad before.

mallowpufft
02-20-12, 14:35
I kind of figured it was the absorbed but as I've never used anything with them before I wasn't sure. As long as I still get a good shelf life out of it I'm happy.

Just a Jarhead
02-21-12, 02:39
I kind of figured it was the absorbed but as I've never used anything with them before I wasn't sure. As long as I still get a good shelf life out of it I'm happy.

If it were me, for peace of mind, I'd have to open that bucket and reseal with O2 absorber myself. Looks like they didn't use a mylar bag first and just tossed the O2 absorber into the bucket and sealed the lid. To me that's a very questionable practice and should be changed. It takes a little more time and $ for a mylar bag to do it right. Looks like they're trying to cut corners but that's just my opinion. I know I wouldn't be a happy consumer receiving a bucket looking like that! It just looks wrong! And obviously it looks wrong to you too because you're questioning it. I think any consumer would question it.

Here's a good tutorial. I prefer & use this method http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZkiU1fUtsE

Here's where I get my O2 Absorbers. https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/information_center/packing_your_own_food_storage/packing_with_oxygen_absorbers.htm

ramsker
02-21-12, 20:35

Will have to check out this link!

I just found this part of the site . . . joined the site last year when I was researching my first AR--which I may or may not have bought :D. Are there other recommended online sources for pre-packaged food items like this that you guys use? I'll be reading up on the info in this section as I know it's a pain when noobs ask. But if anyone wants to throw out a bone or 2 it would be welcomed.

Looking forward to learning a lot more here! Apologies in advance for what will probably be some naive questions.

PA PATRIOT
03-09-12, 16:15
Below 6000-watt generators are back at Aldi's are a reduced price of $349.99 http://aldi.us/index_ENU_HTML.htm

Stat's

KingCraft 6,000-Watt
Electric Generator

PA PATRIOT
03-09-12, 16:27
It appears my local area WalMarts are clearancing Aqua Tainer (7)Gallon water containers for $9.00 each which is a really decent price considering the cost of bottled water. I do not know if this clearance is chain wide or a local event so if you need a low cost reusable water storage option it maybe worth the trip to a near by WalMart to check price.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/thumb/get?bid=WACscLlGXXReRg&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC

NWPilgrim
03-11-12, 03:22
Dunham's Sporting Goods has a decent sale on the Savage 350 security pump 12ga shotgun with ghost ring sights. A few of my buddies own these as home defense shotguns and they work nicely in that role.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/ZkjHGLo70_BYkHMdwQt.png

http://www.dunhamssports.com/weekly-circular/

Savage 350 security pump gun with ghost ring sights, synthetic stock, 12 ga 18.5" barrel with 2-3/4" or 3" chamber.

$199.99 and then take off another $25.00 for a in store special and the finial price is $174.99 + your local state tax and Instant check fee.

I just test fired my 350 this weekend. It was very accurate and good spread with Remington 00 buckshot and accurate with Remington Sluggers. Although I do not like the looks of the sharp drop in the stock, it really softened the recoil and didn't beat up my cheekbones like straighter stocks do (with slugs at least). I really like the ghost ring rear and fiber optic front sight. I do NOT like the trigger. It is so stiff that I sometimes think the safety is on.

I have heard that parts may be hard to find (not necessarily compatible with an Ithaca 37) and the buttstock may not hold up to many rounds of battering. I'll have to see over time how it holds up. But for now it's comfort and accuracy is very promising.

If I only could afford one shotgun I would stick witha Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 for their proven reliability, easy to get parts and vast array of accessories. All for only $50 more. Since I already have a couple of those, the Stevens 350 is a nice alternative to try out. It will be a lot more fun to shoot slugs with the Stevens!

PA PATRIOT
03-11-12, 12:28
I just test fired my 350 this weekend. It was very accurate and good spread with Remington 00 buckshot and accurate with Remington Sluggers. Although I do not like the looks of the sharp drop in the stock, it really softened the recoil and didn't beat up my cheekbones like straighter stocks do (with slugs at least). I really like the ghost ring rear and fiber optic front sight. I do NOT like the trigger. It is so stiff that I sometimes think the safety is on.

I have heard that parts may be hard to find (not necessarily compatible with an Ithaca 37) and the buttstock may not hold up to many rounds of battering. I'll have to see over time how it holds up. But for now it's comfort and accuracy is very promising.

If I only could afford one shotgun I would stick witha Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 for their proven reliability, easy to get parts and vast array of accessories. All for only $50 more. Since I already have a couple of those, the Stevens 350 is a nice alternative to try out. It will be a lot more fun to shoot slugs with the Stevens!

The actions and triggers are a bit stiff out of the box but a couple of hundred dry fires (Please ensure safe gun handling with a double checked empty gun) mixed in with your range use smooths out the action and trigger nicely.

These Stevens shotguns offer good bang for the buck and when found on sale OTD for $200.00 its makes for a affordable home defender either a right or left hander can deploy with good sights and a stock which allows your teeth to remain intact with heavy loads.

I plan on adding a few to the collection shortly.

PA PATRIOT
03-12-12, 18:24
Those who have to store water because of no abundant means of resupply will find that water rationing does not allow for proper personal hygiene as one would like.

Taking this into account I found that Aldi's food chain had just reduced the cost of their store brand ""Luddabies" all purpose personal wipes from $1.39 to $0.99

My family has used these wipes for the past three years and I can personally recommend them for personal Hygiene.

Stats,
72 wipes per package
Very Thick not prone to tearing
6.7x7.5 inches
Hypoallergenic
Fragrance Free
Contains Aloe and Vitamin E (I cant feel any residue after use)
Alcohol Free
Heavy packaging will survive rough storage.
Shelf Life is three years minimum

Your woman/kids will love you as you know how they will bitch once they go without a shower for a week or so.

RiggerGod
03-14-12, 01:49
My Walmart (Western Washington) didn't have them for $9.00. They were $12.97, which is still better then I could find online. I bought two and am looking for a third. That is about all I can reasonably store at the moment. (Might keep three more in the tub in our guest bath... we'll see. Have to get that past my missus first.)

Also of note: keep your eye's pealed at Walmart for Augston Farms brand storage food. My wallyworld has it for cheaper than AF and Sam's. Trying to add a couple of cans of dairy, veggies, and fruit every week.

It appears my local area WalMarts are clearancing Aqua Tainer (7)Gallon water containers for $9.00 each which is a really decent price considering the cost of bottled water. I do not know if this clearance is chain wide or a local event so if you need a low cost reusable water storage option it maybe worth the trip to a near by WalMart to check price.

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/thumb/get?bid=WACscLlGXXReRg&bn=CC&fbid=7wIR63%2bClmj%2b0A&fbn=CC

Blstr88
03-14-12, 09:34
Walmart near me sells 6-gallon water totes, similar to those but a different color for $9.xx

I've been grabbing one everytime I go lately, Im up to 6 so far.

PA PATRIOT
03-14-12, 14:23
Walmart near me sells 6-gallon water totes, similar to those but a different color for $9.xx

I've been grabbing one everytime I go lately, Im up to 6 so far.

Are you talking about the light green Jerry can style with the white pin vent plug?

Blstr88
03-14-12, 17:25
Are you talking about the light green Jerry can style with the white pin vent plug?

Yep, exactly!

PA PATRIOT
03-14-12, 17:55
Yep, exactly!

You have to ensure they don't fall over as the water pressure from the impact will force the little white plug out leaking your water.

I stopped using this type of container for just that reason.

PA PATRIOT
03-23-12, 17:25
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_19673.jpg

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/370x370/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_13558.jpg

13 Watt Briefcase Solar Charger

http://www.harborfreight.com/18-volt-to-24-volt-solar-charger-95000.html

Item # 95000 Manufacturer: Chicago Electric Power Systems

Portable power in an easy to transport protective case. Stores easily in your vehicle.

■Amorphous silicon solar cells for maximum output in both bright and clouded conditions
■Patented design with built-in adjustment support for optimum sun exposure
■Charging indicator LED
■Easy to transport with built-in handle
■Comes with male and female cigarette lighter adapters, battery terminal clamps and 12 volt accessory adapter, adapter for cordless tools
Cordless drill sold separately.

Peak output power: 13 watts
Voltage (max): 12/24
Output current (max): 400 mA
Overall dimensions: 6-1/8"L x 18-1/8"H x 23-1/4"W
Shipping Weight: 10.85 lbs.

Picked one up on sale for $59.99 with the 20% coupon found in most NRA and gun rag magazines.

vmaxx
03-24-12, 10:35
Hi everyone, new guy here.. Great thread ton's of good info, it has me thinking twice about what I've done so far!

Sorry about the edit I found what I was looking for in the library..

PA PATRIOT
03-26-12, 21:01
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/370x/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_14718.jpg
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-led-hand-crank-lantern-96200.html

Picked up a inexpensive 12 LED hand crank dynamo lantern manufactured by Gordon item number #96200 which is currently on sale at Harbor Freight for $11.99 and with a common to find 20% off coupon finial cost is $9.59

The three position push button switch changes the light output from 4 LEDS, 8 LEDS and on high 12 LEDS and run time on 60 seconds of cranking allows the high setting to run for a solid hour.

One can also charge the battery using solar, car plug or a 6 volt charging unit which is sold separately.

While not a rough and tumble lantern it is built well enough to last many years with proper use.

So far not a bad lighting source for the price which will pay for its self in savings of not having to buy battery's for it.

alienb1212
03-31-12, 10:44
PhilaPD lives in Harbor Freight.

I go in there once in a while, but most of their products seem like really cheap chi-com stuff that I wouldnt trust for anything.

PA PATRIOT
03-31-12, 15:42
PhilaPD lives in Harbor Freight.

I go in there once in a while, but most of their products seem like really cheap chi-com stuff that I wouldn't trust for anything.

I will check out any store which seems to offer good product for the money and buy a single sample of a needed item and beat the crap out of it. The more I save on certain items needed for my Prep's the more I have to spend on the "Must Buy" list.

I will not post anything here that I have not evaluated and found to be of good quality.

The trick is with Harbor Freight is to watch their sales flier and slap another 20% off coupon on top of the sale price.

So far from Harbor Freight I can recommend,
Tarps
Solar Generator
Machetes (Older Blue and Black colored handle with non saw tooth back version) The new model sucks ass.
Gas Power Generators
Small Hand Tools

As for items being of Chi-Com manufacture I have not been let down quality wise on any product purchased from Harbor Freight so far but they do have a liberal return policy if needed.

mallowpufft
04-17-12, 21:19
If you're looking for bright flashlights for kits and have an Ollie's nearby you might be in luck.
I was poking around mine today and found some aluminum bodied Rayovac 2 AA LED flashlights with an advertised 80 lumens and a burn time of 2 hours.
Currently being sold for $9.00

Ollie's is an odd little place and inventory does vary but these seem to be a good piece for keeping around as spares or for handing out during emergencies to unprepared neighbors.

Same light from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-HighBeam-Flashlight-Luxeon-Batteries/dp/B000OSJKJ0/ref=pd_sim_hi_4)

Store locator (http://www.olliesbargainoutlet.com/storeLocator/stores.aspx)

*I'm not affiliated with Ollie's and my wife wishes I didn't enjoy hunting for random good finds there.

PA PATRIOT
04-22-12, 19:00
Something I saw that K-Mart and a few other Internet retails sell for under $12.00 was a Primo Bottled Water Pump with Handle which can be used for 3 or 5 gallon water bottles. Since bulk bottle water prices have drop due to reduced demand this maybe a cost efficient way to store water in the home and have easy access to it.

http://store.primowater.com/getattachment/d9a480b7-1fc8-4922-a28a-1b7f32429d8f/900179.aspx?maxSideSize=400

3 AE
04-28-12, 17:28
Came across this on DSG Arms website in their Clearance Section.
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/SP100280111.aspx
Have used this "3-Day", "BOB", "Get Home" pack for over 6 years and is one tough cookie. Very simple design but extremely well built. At 2500 cubic inches in volume it's a bit too big for EDC but it does compress down if needed. DSG also has this in ACU. I paid $150 for mine 6 years ago. At this price it's a bargain. Spec-Ops also sells a reinforced framesheet that fits to help carry a heavier load, 25-35 pounds.

3 AE
04-28-12, 18:15
For people who prefer a traditional top loading pack that can be used as a stand alone pack or mated to the Medium ALICE packframe or the Downeast Industries MOLLE packframes. http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/retro-tactical-gear/recon-ruck-ultra.html

mallowpufft
05-01-12, 15:29
This one is a short term deal but if anyone uses Huckberry (online boutique that features assorted items for short times at a decent price) they currently have a Sawyer squeeze pouch set up for $39 plus $7shipping.
I know these aren't as heavy duty as some of the other options but for ultra light weight and use in a G.H.B. or emergency bag in your car/boat they're hard to beat.

PA PATRIOT
05-01-12, 17:22
This one is a short term deal but if anyone uses Huckberry (online boutique that features assorted items for short times at a decent price) they currently have a Sawyer squeeze pouch set up for $39 plus $7shipping.
I know these aren't as heavy duty as some of the other options but for ultra light weight and use in a G.H.B. or emergency bag in your car/boat they're hard to beat.

http://huckberry.com/brands/296

PA PATRIOT
05-08-12, 18:26
Its that time again that Aldi's has camping gear a very reasonable prices.

http://aldi.us/us/html/offers/17337_ENU_HTML.htm

http://aldi.us/us/media/offers/05_09_12/050912_2361_tentcamping_D.jpg
Adventuridge 9' x 7' Dome Tent

$24.99

Sleeps four
Includes rain fly and mud mat
Blue or Orange
10yr Warranty

My son has been using this tent for two years now (Re-Occurring sale item) and it is a decent cool to warm weather tent that will sleep four. I resealed the seams on first set up just because I do this with any tent we own right out of the box and it has been water tight so far.

http://aldi.us/us/media/offers/05_09_12/050912_41701_sleepingbag_D.jpg
Adventuridge Sleeping Bag

$12.99 each

Comfortable up to 40 degrees
Includes carrying bag

This is what my kids use for scouting and these sleeping bags work as intended.

http://aldi.us/us/media/offers/05_09_12/050912_4558_PropaneCampingGrill_D.jpg
Range Master Propane Camping Grill

$24.99

12,000 BTU
12-burger capacity
234 total sq. in. of cooking space

We also use this BBQ for camping trips and tail gating parties and it is nicely made and easy to clean.

This gear is not the best on the market but it is not junk either so if you need some warm weather camping gear for that possible SHTF event and don't have a lot of cash to spend this maybe a good option for you.

PA PATRIOT
05-11-12, 10:14
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs034/1103622714441/img/187.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

Also with Free Shipping this weekend only makes for a good deal.

NWPilgrim
05-11-12, 11:13
http://ih.constantcontact.com/fs034/1103622714441/img/187.jpg

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/

Also with Free Shipping this weekend only makes for a good deal.

Out of stock already.

PA PATRIOT
05-11-12, 16:22
Out of stock already.

I grabbed two as soon as the e-mail hit and didnt think they would last long.

Upcountry
05-14-12, 23:52
Starts the 18th and runs through the 28th. 20% off.

PA PATRIOT
05-15-12, 12:30
Have to look into it.

Thanks

docsherm
05-15-12, 13:33
Starts the 18th and runs through the 28th. 20% off.

Is there a coupon code or something?

MrTips
05-15-12, 13:58
Is there a coupon code or something?

No, it's just the usual anniversary sale. Lots of marked-down gear/supplies. There is the usual 20% off coupon for members, as well.

PA PATRIOT
05-15-12, 14:39
I would call ahead before placing a order and find out what the expiration dates are on the MH meals you are interested in and buy only if the use by date is 5+years as I have seen older product being pushed on sale thats only good for another year or two.

mallowpufft
05-15-12, 14:49
Wondering if anyone's tried DIY Silnylon tarps...
http://youtu.be/kDVllsGEUgw

I've been looking at making some for the BOB and to keep in the car. I can make 3-4 for the price of purchasing one.
I wouldn't ditch the roof sized regular tarp but for emergency shelter or quick set up for some protection while out hunting without weighing down the pack or breaking the bank it looks like a viable option.

dustdevil13
05-15-12, 15:47
My Walmart (Western Washington) didn't have them for $9.00. They were $12.97, which is still better then I could find online. I bought two and am looking for a third. That is about all I can reasonably store at the moment. (Might keep three more in the tub in our guest bath... we'll see. Have to get that past my missus first.)

Also of note: keep your eye's pealed at Walmart for Augston Farms brand storage food. My wallyworld has it for cheaper than AF and Sam's. Trying to add a couple of cans of dairy, veggies, and fruit every week.

Picked a couple of these up this weekend but when I got them home, filled them up, stored them and the spigot on both that I bought leak so they have to be stored spigot up which doesn’t allow them to be stacked. :(

PA PATRIOT
05-15-12, 21:17
Picked a couple of these up this weekend but when I got them home, filled them up, stored them and the spigot on both that I bought leak so they have to be stored spigot up which doesn’t allow them to be stacked. :(

Were is the leak?

I found that some of the screw necks that the spigots attach to are a bit rough on the top flat of the neck were a little plastic from the molding process was not properly cleaned off and this does not allow a good seal between the flat on the top of the neck and the silicone gasket on the inside of the spigot.

The easy cure is to just clean up any excess plastic with a razor to allow a good seal.

Just be careful not to remove to much plastic all you want to do is make the flat even with no hills or valleys.

dustdevil13
05-16-12, 16:12
Were is the leak?

I found that some of the screw necks that the spigots attach to are a bit rough on the top flat of the neck were a little plastic from the molding process was not properly cleaned off and this does not allow a good seal between the flat on the top of the neck and the silicone gasket on the inside of the spigot.

The easy cure is to just clean up any excess plastic with a razor to allow a good seal.

Just be careful not to remove to much plastic all you want to do is make the flat even with no hills or valleys.

They are actually leaking out of the spigots themselves, the little on off lever and peace doesn’t fit tight enough to keep water from flowing out.

I'm thinking of just grabbing some extra corks and putting those in there to seal it up for now.

Thanks for the tip though. :)

PA PATRIOT
05-16-12, 20:21
They are actually leaking out of the spigots themselves, the little on off lever and peace doesn’t fit tight enough to keep water from flowing out.

I'm thinking of just grabbing some extra corks and putting those in there to seal it up for now.

Thanks for the tip though. :)

Simple fix just call or e-mail the company and they will send you new spigots.

I have had one replaced no questions asked a few months ago.