PDA

View Full Version : Only one handgun...

Buck
09-27-09, 17:11
Israelis do not enjoy a Constitutional right to keep and bear arms… In high risk areas as many of 50% of citizens are likely carrying concealed, but outside of those areas (i.e. West Bank), it is not very common, unless you work for, or are retired from, one of the security services… Here are the translated requirements for a civilian firearms permit… So with that in mind, if you could only own one handgun, what would it be, and why???

B

The Israel Dept. of the Interior makes notification to the general public the requirements necessary for the obtaining of a permit to possess a firearm:
1. Applicant must be a permanent resident of Israel for 3 consecutive years prior to making application for a firearms permit.

2. Applicant must be 21 years of age.

3. The permit request must be for personal use, not to engage in the business of firearms sales.

4. Applicant must fall into one of the following categories:

a. Part-time reservist (volunteer) for 3 years- may own 1 handgun
b. Such a reservist (volunteer) is a member of a gun club- may own 1 rifle
c. Professional, licensed public transportation driver, transporting a minimum of 5 passengers- may own 1 handgun
d. Licensed animal control officer- may own 2 hunting rifles, *not* full automatic weapons, or semi-automatic weapons with a limited capacity magazine.
e. Full-time dealer of jewelry or large sums of cash or valuables- may own 1 handgun

West Bank and Gaza Strip Settlers:

1. A resident in a militarily strategic buffer zone, essential to the security of the State of Israel- may own 1 handgun

2. A business owner in these geographic areas- may own 1 handgun

Veterans:

1. Veterans of the Regular Army honorably discharged with the rank of noncommissioned officer, and veterans of the Reserve Army with the rank of regimental commander- may own 1 handgun

2. Retired law enforcement officers with the rank of sergeant- may own 1 handgun

3. Retired prison guards with the rank of squadron commander- may own 1 handgun

Individuals:

Upon presenting documentation that one is about to receive a souvenir, a prize, an inheritance, or an award of appreciation from the Israel military.

Ak44
09-27-09, 17:16
I would say Glock 21SF, it's a glock and it shoots .45 auto :D

RogerinTPA
09-27-09, 17:22
M&P9. 9mm is very prevalent in the Middle East. All other effective handgun calibers are not. If the .40 was readily available, I'd go with the M&P40.

John_Wayne777
09-27-09, 17:22
Glock 19 or an M&P 9C.

Don Robison
09-27-09, 17:25
Glock 17 even though I currently carry a G21SF.

TRD
09-27-09, 17:26
I'll take a (slightly aged) SIG P226 9mm or a Glock 17/19.

.357sigger
09-27-09, 17:27
Glock 19

Ak44
09-27-09, 17:27
I currently carry a G21SF.

:D Right on

QuickStrike
09-27-09, 17:29
Probably a glock 19 w/ tritiums. I don't have that much experience with many other types, besides 1911's, M&P's, revolvers, etc...

Robb Jensen
09-27-09, 17:30
Glock 19.

Easy to maintain. Used around the world so parts and mags aren't impossible to find. 9mm is very popular in most parts of the world.

I carry a gen 2 Glock 19 concealed.

Alex F
09-27-09, 18:13
SIG 220, preferably a W. German built non-rail.

2-BPM
09-27-09, 18:29
sidebar question- whats the standard service gun of the IDF? id take that. otherwise a glock 23 with a spare 9mm conversion barrel

Dunderway
09-27-09, 18:48
I don't fully understand the question. Is this in my current life, or if I lived in Israel (as some people seem to be responding)?

Buck
09-27-09, 18:49
sidebar question- whats the standard service gun of the IDF? id take that. otherwise a glock 23 with a spare 9mm conversion barrel

Several handguns are in service with the IDF, but I believe the Jericho is the most common... It is based on the CZ 75...

I don't fully understand the question. Is this in my current life, or if I lived in Israel (as some people seem to be responding)?

You can answer either way... Im curious to hear peoples thoughts on the subject...

B

Ak44
09-27-09, 18:50
I think it could be applied either way...Current life or life in Israel with beautiful Israeli women...MMMM Hummus (I've been watching too much Zohan). :D

drsal
09-27-09, 18:55
A simple glock 17

Don Robison
09-27-09, 19:02

My answer would stand whether here or in Israel.

From talking with a friend who is a former IDF and has son currently in the IDF Hi Powers, Sig 226/228 and Glocks are the most prevalent in the military while the police and security forces see more of the Jericho 941.

Dunderway
09-27-09, 19:16
After a few sales I only own one defensive pistol, which is a conservatively modified 1911. I shoot it well, it's reliable, mags are cheap, and I can work on it myself.

I really want to try a G19 soon, so after some extensive use I could change my mind.

Right now, 1911.

SeriousStudent
09-27-09, 19:16

Same same, with a 642 as a backup.

tpd223
09-27-09, 19:23
Glock 19.

Almost as small as a snub .38, shoots like a full size pistol, 9mm is way more available anywhere you go, reliable and durable gun, easy to work on yourself if need be.

And an Advantage Arms .22 kit as well, I think this counts as we are still talking only one gun even with the kit.

cfrazier
09-27-09, 19:24
Sig 226, due to 9mm being most common caliber in the area. Sig 220 for a .45

rickb210
09-27-09, 20:21
Glock 19.

cathellsk
09-27-09, 21:23
Glock 19 if in Israel, same pretty much anywhere else too.

JiMfraRED1911
09-27-09, 22:19
GLOCK 19

Joe R.
09-27-09, 22:29
Glock 19. The AK of the handgun world. Parts and ammo can be found just about anywhere.

ROCKET20_GINSU
09-27-09, 22:32
Hard to argue against a G19. Perfect package of shootability, reliability, and concealability. I would switch out the grooved trigger for a smooth trigger, slap on a set of night sights, buy a x300, grab the new crimson trace laser when it finally comes ut and pick up 3 holsters (conventional IWB ala Milt Sparks VMII / OWB w/ pistol light, Raven phantom, and a deep cover holster 5.11 shirt holster or smart carry) add a bunch of mags to include a couple of G17 mags and you're as close to set as is possible with one gun IMO.

I'm definitely in the one gun G19 crowd :D

GU

kaiservontexas
09-27-09, 22:44
Glock 17 if I lived under such rules.

Patrick Aherne
09-27-09, 22:56
My current carry battery is a G21SF on-duty, G19 off-duty, and 642 when I am not carrying a gun. If I had to do it all with just one, it would be the G19. I would not feel slighted in the least, either.

MiggyE
09-28-09, 02:29
i see i'll be going against the grain here, but i very much prefer a jericho 941 in 9mm under those rules.
wait a minute! i do live under somewhat similar rules!!! Philippine law states only 1 long arm and 1 short arm for a civilian, with a long arm restricted to 22lr or 12 gauge. but if you could prove to have a legitimate threat to your life, you could license as much as 3 short arms. but then, people skirt these law often, and license their loose arms during the regular amnesty period (held because the cops rightly know that, if a firearm is licensed, 99% of the time, it is never used in a crime). it is through this loophole where legal ARs and other rifles become legal...

Savior 6
09-28-09, 03:32
Because:
1. I belive Glock is The KISS handgun.
2. 17, I prefer fullsize.
3. You know the Isrealis have plenty of 9mm.
and
4. OD, just to add some Glock Flare (which is simply, none).

SWATcop556
09-28-09, 05:05
I carry Glocks everyday. My constant companion in the glovebox and person is a G19 or a G26 depending on the dress for the day.

I loooooove my 1911's and they will always be my first choice. Can't help it.

For me if I could only have one I would take a 1911. If I was recommending just one pistol to someone else it is they G19. Not much it can't do.

Beat Trash
09-28-09, 05:10
For me, it'd be a Golck 19. Especially if I were in Israel.

Outside of this country, it's a 9mm world for the most part. The Glock is one of those guns that parts are available as parts can get, world wide.

Within this country, on my own time, it's a Glock 19 mostly. The S&W M&P9c is starting to get some carry time also. But It's the Glock 19 I carry the most.

Rider79
09-28-09, 06:21
2nd gen 17

As for the firearms rules, is there any long arm ownership? I see a reference to hunting rifles, but they specify them as non-fullauto. Are there any full autos outside the military? Sorry for the hijack, just curious.

M4arc
09-28-09, 06:25
For me it would be the G19. Mid-size design makes it easy to conceal yet it's big enough to hold 15 rounds. Stone reliable, parts, holsters and accessories are plentiful and 9mm ammo is abundant world wide.

JonInWA
09-28-09, 07:43
Glock 19-due to its reliability, size effeciency, ease of maintenance, accuracy and durability.

Best, Jon

sff70
09-28-09, 08:00
G19

Perfect balance of size and capacity. Can be used for duty, CCW, and anything else
It's highly reliable
If it breaks, it's easy to fix and parts are widely available
9mm is plenty effective, and it's available everywhere

Mark71
09-28-09, 08:51
Another vote for the Glock 19. For the same reasons that other posters have mentioned.

ToddG
09-28-09, 08:54
DWM Luger in .45 Auto.

I'd sell it and use the money to move somewhere that I could own more than one handgun.

Littlelebowski
09-28-09, 09:05
Glock 19 until I moved. So much for the myth amongst American gun owners about Israeli gun culture.

DocH
09-28-09, 09:25
G19 for all the obvious reasons mentioned by other members. I have three 2nd gen G19's and one is carried everywhere,everyday. Love the 1911,but not my first choice for that scenario.

ST911
09-28-09, 09:42
Glock 19.

Disappointing and surprising that their laws aren't more permissive, given the position they're in.

ToddG
09-28-09, 09:55
Disappointing and surprising that their laws aren't more permissive, given the position they're in.

Indeed. A good friend of mine was over there doing a fed protection detail for 90 days a while back, and I was going to fly out to visit. But much to my surprise, it's essentially impossible to get a temp carry permit as an American. So much for seeing the land of my ancestors ...

Rider79
09-28-09, 13:33
So much for the myth amongst American gun owners about Israeli gun culture.

I knew that it was like this in Israel, but I also knew that gun ownership was linked to military service. Since that's required there, I thought that made guns pretty widespread. What about the stories of citizens with subguns shooting it out with terrorists? Would they just be private security guards that were misreported as private citizens?

Rider79
09-28-09, 13:36
...it's essentially impossible to get a temp carry permit as an American.

Under the same circumstances is this possible in any country?

xtremejc
09-28-09, 14:03
G19 or G17 for me...

Littlelebowski
09-28-09, 14:32
Anyone know how strictly they enforce these laws?

Oscar 319
09-28-09, 14:37
Do I have to be the first smart-ass to say an UZI pistol? :eek:

http://bwfirearms.com/GunPics/uzipistol.JPG

Seriously though, the obvious "1 pistol" answer anywhere in the world would be a Glock 9mm.

Ed L.
09-28-09, 15:04
It is actually easier for an average citizen to own a handgun (not carry) in Washington DC or New York City than it is in Israel. In Israel, to own a handgun, you must live in danger zones like the West Bank or a settlement, work as a public transportation driver, work in the diamond industry, or be a reserve NCO or higher. In other words if you happen to be a lawer, accontant, or computer programmer who lives in Tel Aviv, you cannot get a license to carry or own a handgun. You can get a target shooting permit, but I believe you have to keep the gun locked up at the gun club. If you live in a settlement in a dangerous area you can get the military to issue you one longarm or SMG like an M-16.

Littlelebowski
09-28-09, 15:06
Ed L, do you know this from personal experience? Not doubting you, just want to verify before I quote you.

ST911
09-28-09, 17:09
Do I have to be the first smart-ass to say an UZI pistol? :eek:

http://bwfirearms.com/GunPics/uzipistol.JPG

Ever shoot one of those? They're a hoot, but that's about all they're truly good for. :D

RD62
09-28-09, 17:19
Glock 17 for me

-RD62

Ed L.
09-28-09, 17:45
Ed L, do you know this from personal experience? Not doubting you, just want to verify before I quote you.

I know it from various sources, including people who are involved in defense training in Israel who I met about a month ago. I asked them quite a bit about the subject. One of them was quite surprised when I brought a real AK (albeit a semiauto one) for a photo shoot.

I get annoyed when some people try to portray Israel as some type of paradise for gun owners. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Yes, if you live in some places in Israel or work in certain professions you can get a carry permit and be able to own a single handgun and no more. So if something goes wrong with your single gun you are left without a firearm until it gets repaired or replaced.

Also, if you live in some places like a Settlment on the West Bank or a Kibutz near a border you can get issued a military weapon like an M-16, as well as having a carry permit and one handgun.

However, if you don't fulfil those requirements and happen to be a regular guy who lives in Tel Aviv of Haifa, you cannot even get a gun that you can keep legally loaded in your home. While if you were a US citizen living someplace like New York City or Washington DC, you could do so.

The US is a hodgepodge of laws. While there are still some places like Chicago where you can not legally buy a handgun or an AR, there are many more places where you can own an AR type gun or get a carry permit without needing a reason as long as you have a clean record.

Overall, I think gunowners are much better off in the US than in Israel.

Here is one source of info on Israelli gun laws:

http://www.jpfo.org/filegen-a-m/israel-firearms.htm

Littlelebowski
09-28-09, 17:48
Thanks, Ed. I too, tire of the myth Israel being a gunowner's paradise. I'll probably be banned from Warriortalk.com for daring air that truth.

Oscar 319
09-28-09, 18:01
Ever shoot one of those? They're a hoot, but that's about all they're truly good for. :D

I shot a semi-auto version when I was about 12 years old. Though I had no skills, it was hard to shoot it like Chuck Norris in Invasion USA :p.

Ed L.
09-28-09, 18:28
Thanks, Ed. I too, tire of the myth Israel being a gunowner's paradise. I'll probably be banned from Warriortalk.com for daring air that truth.

You like to live dangerously, don't you? :)

I think the whole gun ownership gun possession thing is relative to where you live in the US vs where you live in Israel. But in most places in the US your gun rights are much better than in most places in Israel. Even in the worst place in the US--Chicago--you can stillown a varity of longarms that are suitable for home defense while you cannot do so in Israel unless you live in dangerous areas or fall into the category of people who can get granted carry permits. And in the US there are many more places where you can get granted a carry permit and own pretty much any non-NFA forearm without ATF paperwork.

PRGGodfather
09-28-09, 18:30
Glock 19.

Easy to maintain. Used around the world so parts and mags aren't impossible to find. 9mm is very popular in most parts of the world.

Yup. Even if a G21SF is my entry/HD gun.

My wife can handle a G19 pretty well, too -- and 9mm is available just about the world wide...

John_Wayne777
09-28-09, 20:30
I'll probably be banned from Warriortalk.com for daring air that truth.

They'd be doing you a favor. ;)

Business_Casual
09-28-09, 20:35
Only one pistol? A 9mm Glock, either a Glock 17 or 19.

Because, in the idiom of Warriortalk, it "is caveman simple."

M_P

Ed L.
09-28-09, 21:10
Obviously I am missing something about Israel and Warriortalk. I think in this case ignorance is bliss.

cathellsk
09-28-09, 21:33
Ed L.,

The myth your referring to about gun ownership in Israel is what I thought too till a couple years ago when I heard the truth. Was it different at one time in the past? I'd assume so and then some stricter laws were inacted at one time.

m4fun
09-29-09, 08:14
Geeze - Glock 19 wins, but I do like the idea of an Uzi pistol!

decodeddiesel
09-29-09, 10:02
Another vote for the Glock 19 for the simple availability of spare parts and ammunition.

Oscar 319
09-29-09, 10:34
Geeze - Glock 19 wins, but I do like the idea of an Uzi pistol!

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/37/78769785_197ea3694d.jpg

This is not approved for a night out on the West Bank.

the_fallguy
09-29-09, 10:45
Another Glock 19 vote.

Concealable but controllable
Decent capacity
World wide parts availability
Very dependable w/ minimal maintenance
etc., etc., etc....

LSK
09-29-09, 15:37
As far as obtaining a permit in Israel in the 1980's it was not very difficult. It is a matter of who you are and who you know. If you had a military obligation either regular or reserves it was hard to get a permit for a 9mm weapon. They were worried about the amount of 9mm ammo that would be taken. The S&W 66 was a very popular pistol among IDF members back then because they were easier to get approved. If your going for a permit now I would say Glock 19 for all the reasons already listed

faithmyeyes
09-29-09, 16:38
The myth your referring to about gun ownership in Israel is what I thought too till a couple years ago when I heard the truth. Was it different at one time in the past? I'd assume so and then some stricter laws were inacted at one time.

I don't know the history of the law, but I know that when I toured Israel in the summer of 1995 I saw two men who appeared to be civilians carrying openly. One was in a park somewhere just outside of Tel Aviv with a handgun in his waistband. He was shirtless and appeared to be with family/kids. The second guy I saw along a seaside "strip" in Tiberias had on a Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and had a slung rifle that was similar in appearance to an M1 Carbine.

fme

LSK
09-29-09, 21:30
The guy you saw in Tiberias with the M1 carbine was probably from Degania Alef or Degania Bet, two kibbutzim that are close by. They both had arsenals that contained a lot of M1 carbines that were surplus from the national police and civil guard.

DacoRoman
09-29-09, 21:41
I'll tell you what, if I wasn't planning on making the G19 my choice if only one handgun was allowed before reading this thread, then it is now, that way I could maybe bum a mag or two from the plethora of G19 choosers in this forum ;)

I'd have a hard time choosing between the G17 or the G19, but with the G19 one could use G17 mags and it is more concealable, so I guess I'll vote for the G19 also :)

Bobert0989
09-29-09, 22:10
Tough choice for me, because my favorite 9mm pistol is a Sig. But as far as the conditions we are discussing here, I'd say the Glock would be the more logical choice, and usually cheaper. More money for mag's and crates of ammo... :)

Still though, with the right sources to supply ammunition, parts,etc., I would say my Kimber 1911 would be my pick if only one could be kept. I think it is by far the most accurate AND deadly that I have available to me. I mean, you could drop a 9mm round through the barrel of the .45... lol.

Dunderway
09-29-09, 23:26
DWM Luger in .45 Auto.

I'd sell it and use the money to move somewhere that I could own more than one handgun.

Awesome.

Terry
10-05-09, 12:53
Glock 17

PLCedeno
10-05-09, 13:31
Glock 17.

Biggy
10-05-09, 18:44
For me at this point in time i also choose the G19 or G17 . These pistols have stood the test of time and have proven to be reliable , durable , and for most people are easy to shoot well , are high capacity, have combat accuracy, are lightweight , easy to get parts for and work on if you ever need to ( probably won't), mag and holster availability and they are affordable. For me the only place GLOCK PERFECTION comes up somewhat short is the angle and ergonomics of the grip and this may change some at SHOT 2010 . If the G19 and G17 would just have the grip frame of the S&W M&P pistol. This is why i have two of the PT limited run S&W M&P pistols on order but my patience is just about run out and i am thinking about canceling out on them . I trust my life using the G19 or G17 with quality JHP ammo because they have earned my trust.

Latimer Jones
10-07-09, 07:56
The one gun thing kind of sucks, but if I had to do it the Glock 19 gets the nod. It would be my choice for many of the reasons already written.

Henny
10-07-09, 14:49
Either a Smith and Wesson 327 R8 or a Glock 21SF. Two good guns, two very good cartridges.

Lumpy196
10-10-09, 12:30
Glock 17 or 19.

More likely the 17 only because I'm far more accustomed to the 17/22 size frame.

cpekz
10-10-09, 15:28
I'd go with the 19, just because I feel it is easier to conceal if necessary (for me). If concealed carry wasn't an issue, then the 17 hands down.

BSHNT2015
10-10-09, 15:46
Glock 17/19 or the FN Browning HP 9mm.

cobb
10-10-09, 17:10
I like my j-frames, but with the one gun rule my same G-19 would get carried more then it does now. Plus with only one pistol I could quit looking for others to buy that I don't need. It might be a plus.:(

Eliakim
10-10-09, 18:32
I doubt if I'd ever be allowed to carry a gun in Israel, However, as a natural born American in the USA, I think a G23 would be the better choice if I was limited to one handgun.

If the laws became so draconian that the authorities only allowed one gun, They would probably have restrictions on good premium JHP ammo as well. I think a .40S&W would fair a little better for self-defense with second-rate hollow points or FMJ then a 9mm would. It's also possible to use a 9mm in a G23 with just a barrel & magazine change. Otherwise a G19 would be the way to go.

Thankfully, the government busts my balls but they still allow me to own several guns. Just one gun would be boring. ;)

jtb0311
10-11-09, 03:47
A simple glock 17

Me too.

12XLR8
10-11-09, 04:19
Glock 21sf
or a glock 17
1911:)

ra2bach
10-11-09, 10:26
if I read this as a recommendation for a FIRST handgun, it would be a 4" .357 Magnum revolver.

if I read this as my one and only do-everything handgun, it would probably be some kind of revolver in .45Colt, most likely a Ruger.

if I read it as a combat/defense type pistol, it would probably be a Glock 17.

RNorris
04-02-10, 20:37
If you could only have one handgun....for self defense, targets, hunting, everything, what would it be? I would have to go with something like this S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. With different loads it would serve well on everything from small game to scarier stuff. What would you guys choose (I hope I never have to MAKE such a choice)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/rnorris/MountainGun001.jpg

04-02-10, 22:29
Personally, not a revolver. Too few rounds, 6 vs. 12(HK USP .45) or 17(G17) just two examples of extremely reliable semi's. Multiple attacker scenario-give me a semi. Tactical reloads-semi. How accurately do most shoot under stress? Give me more rounds to hit and miss with. Silencer-not on a revolver. Just my .02.

orionz06
04-02-10, 22:31
I am really liking my M&P Pro right now, but if concealment is not an issue, I would take an AR pistol in a heartbeat.

Kuro Ookami
04-02-10, 22:39
I would probably go with Glock 17. So many rounds :)

opmike
04-02-10, 22:41
Well, I don't hunt, but my guns do serve self-defense roles and for competition.

For me it would have to by my M&P9.

oef24
04-02-10, 22:56
I would go with any full size Glock. If hunting was an option to consider with such firearm, then it would be the Glock 20 SF.

O

BB01
04-02-10, 22:59
G17....Without a doubt

CaptainDooley
04-02-10, 23:12
I only have one handgun - and I don't hunt with it. It's a S&W M&P FS 9mm with warren tactical 2-dot night sights and a full APEX workup...

http://kevindooley.net/images/M&PL.jpg

556A2
04-02-10, 23:12
Glock 19

Warhawk
04-02-10, 23:22
My 629-2 Mountain Revolver is the one they will pry out of my cold dead hand.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/34421SW629MG2.JPG

I like it so much that I bought a spare.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/P10109821.JPG

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-02-10, 23:33
Probably an HK45 compact. The best of the Glock and the 1911 in a nice, easy to shoot package.

tpd223
04-02-10, 23:52
Depends on where I was living.

Here, I'd seriously think about the kit a bud has put together; a G20 with barrels for .40S&W, .357Sig, 9mm, 9X23, an extra G21 upper, and an AA .22 conversion kit.

One gun, 7 calibers of ammo available.

In my current situation, likely a Glock 19.

skyugo
04-03-10, 00:04
glock 26. assuming we're talking daily carry/civilized home defense, not a SHTF zombie apocalypse.

kaltblitz
04-03-10, 00:58
What the heck am I having to hunt with a handgun?

Take the whole hunting thing out of it and my answer would be either a Glock 19 or Sig 229.

warpigM-4
04-03-10, 01:16
My HK 45 compact...

BMcDonald7
04-03-10, 02:00
If i could only choose 1 it would be my HK 45c. 230gr +P would work better against bigger 4-legged creatures. If i never left the city then it would be my new M&P 9c.

citizensoldier16
04-03-10, 02:16
10mm Glock 20. Power and capacity in one unit.

Lee Indy
04-03-10, 02:55
tough call. it would probably be my 1911 but my glock 19 is right there too. the 1911 is a sports car and the glock is a corolla.

yeah my STI is the one. i love it to much to part with it.

jwperry
04-03-10, 04:38
Full size HK45. Not much bigger than the compact and IMO a better grip. I don't care for the HK45c grip.

PLCedeno
04-03-10, 06:05
My Gen3 G17 or Gen4 G22. Ammo availability would have to be taken into account. Right now i can get any 40 s&w i want. 9mm is tough. My Advantage Arms kit would have to come along.

Pathfinder Ops
04-03-10, 06:24
If you could only have one handgun....for self defense, targets, hunting, everything, what would it be? I would have to go with something like this S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Magnum. With different loads it would serve well on everything from small game to scarier stuff. WHat woul you guys choose (I hope I never have to MAKE such a choice)

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/rnorris/MountainGun001.jpg

+1

A gun for all occasions, to include a SHTF event it needs to be deadly, reliable in all weather/ conditions, easily cleaned and have as few maintainence/ potential part replacement issues as possible.

Revolvers typically fit this bill and there can't be much of an argument about the .44mag being a reliable/ deadly round.

I have one of these and it's all business all the time.

RNorris
04-03-10, 06:32
Wow...the Glock is making a better showing than I imagined.

I included hunting as a scenario because I was thinking about how I carry a handgun....I always have one handy (I'm in the woods a lot), but I change them up based on what I'm doing. Except for the 10 inch MKII and the Superblackhawk, all of these have served as cocealed carry weapons at one time or another.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h227/rnorris/hangunarticle002.jpg

I have a lot of respect for you "one gun" guys, I just don't know how you make it work (or at least I couldn't) with a 9mm, .40, or .45.

Amicus
04-03-10, 07:17
+ 1 on the big revolver theory.

I believe that it was once said that people who lived in towns owned Schofields and people who lived in the country owned Colts (1873 SSAs). I think this is a reference to a need for strength and simplicity among those who lived far from a repair facility or source of replacement.

If you could only have one gun, you are definitely living "in the country," even if your address is in Springfield, Mass, or Smyrna, GA, or Exeter, NH. I'd go for the old tried and true stainless SA/DA revolver with 4" bbl: maybe a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 or even a Security Six. I'd also choose .357 Magnum over .44 due to ammo availability.

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-10, 07:57
GLOCK Gen 3 G17...

RNorris
04-03-10, 07:58
+ 1 on the big revolver theory.

I believe that it was once said that people who lived in towns owned Schofields and people who lived in the country owned Colts (1873 SSAs). I think this is a reference to a need for strength and simplicity among those who lived far from a repair facility or source of replacement.

If you could only have one gun, you are definitely living "in the country," even if your address is in Springfield, Mass, or Smyrna, GA, or Exeter, NH. I'd go for the old tried and true stainless SA/DA revolver with 4" bbl: maybe a S&W 686 or Ruger GP100 or even a Security Six. I'd also choose .357 Magnum over .44 due to ammo availability.

I could not argue the .357 choice. Although I don't own one right now, I consider the S&W 686 with a 4 inch barrel (although I dearly love 3 inch revolvers) to be a damned near perfect handgun.

chilic82
04-03-10, 08:29
HK P30 or Glock 19

The HK doesn't require parts for at least 25,000 rounds and the Glock 19 is easily repaired if needed. Couldn't go wrong with either

M4arc
04-03-10, 08:36
For me it's the Glock 19. It's a great balance between shootability and concealability and fits all the roles I need it to.

Magic_Salad0892
04-03-10, 08:36
Glock 17

bubba04
04-03-10, 08:43
G17 RTF for me.

jmp45
04-03-10, 09:09
M&P 9 here too with Apex sear and striker block.

newyork
04-03-10, 09:33
I'm about to only have one. An HK45. I will buy a 2nd HK45 in the future though

theduke
04-03-10, 09:55
GLOCK Gen 3 G17...

You nailed it, except you forgot to say OD Green.

RogerinTPA
04-03-10, 10:13
M&P9 or 40, for ammo availability.

Ricardus
04-03-10, 10:21
M4 carbine. Always bring a carbine to a pistol fight!

Seriously though, an FNP .45.

SWATcop556
04-03-10, 10:42
GLOCK 19. 'Nuff said.

Dragon Slayer
04-03-10, 11:12
If hunting was an important factor then a 10mm Glock 20 with 40 and 9mm conversion barrels. If hunting was not an important factor and concealed carry and self defense were the important factors then a Glock 26 with Glock 19 mags as back up would be my choice.

But putting all factors aside for an all purpose weapon my Glock 36/30 SF Hybrid with Glock 21 spare mags would be my first choice.:D
Sorry guys I do not know how to post the picture open just click on it and you will see it.

DocGKR
04-03-10, 12:00
Likely a G17/19 or an M&P; I could also live the rest of my life with just a Chuck Rogers or Vickers 1911 and be quite happy...

JonInWA
04-03-10, 12:08
Glock G17, G19, or G34-in that order.

If restricted to a revolver, a Ruger Security Six 4" or GP100 4" in .357 Magnum

Best, Jon

Dog Tags
04-03-10, 12:22
HK45 ftw

Oscar 319
04-03-10, 12:26
If any hunting/outdoorsman stuff was concerned, it would be a S&W Model 66 or 686.

Otherwise, a Glock 17 or 19.

skipper49
04-03-10, 12:29
If the OP had not added hunting to his list of needs for the "only" handgun, my choice would be very clear, Glock 19. Having said that, I have long said that my "end of the world" handgun would be a .44 Redhawk in 5 1/2'. I'd probably change that to the 4" now that they are available. Now that I've past 60 years old I might consider making that choice a .357, in a GP100 or Smith 686.
Either of those would be versatile in the extreme, and would be very likly to never need repairing / rebuilding.

Skip

Moose-Knuckle
04-03-10, 12:44
If restricted to a revolver, a Ruger Security Six 4" or GP100 4" in .357 Magnum

Best, Jon

The Ruger GP100 4" is the only Revolver I still own, I use to carry a SP101 as a CCW. Ruger makes a damn fine wheel gun that's a fact.

W.E.G.
04-03-10, 13:18
http://i227.photobucket.com/albums/dd7/rkba2da/pistol%20pics/Glock/kool_aidGlock.jpg

tracker722
04-03-10, 14:04

hatt
04-03-10, 16:49
If only one gun I'd take a 627.
https://www.lipseys.com/eImages/SW170210-(A).jpg

CCK
04-03-10, 17:40
Only because you threw the hunting thing in there; Glock 20

Without that requirement; Glock 19.

Chris

BillBond
04-03-10, 17:42
S&W 686 plus

:cool:

corbon
04-03-10, 18:55
I'm gonna have to go w/ a HK USP in 45ACP. It does everything the Glock does but w/ style.

Roklok
04-03-10, 19:17
Smith and Wesson model 586 with a 6 inch barrel.

Street Dog
04-03-10, 19:25
Glock 17, w/ Heinie sights, and CorBon ammo.

kjdoski
04-03-10, 20:15
Since you included hunting in your question, I'd go with the G20.

Take hunting out of the equation (and I haven't shot at ANY game with a handgun in longer than I care to think about), and it would be the G19, hands down.

Regards,

Kevin

GermanSynergy
04-04-10, 11:11
3rd Gen Glock 17. Universally available ammo, reliable and the end user can repair/service the weapon if need be pretty easily.

xtremejc
04-04-10, 11:16
Glock 17...

Beat Trash
04-04-10, 11:50
Glock 19 for me as I realistically can not see a need for me to use a handgun for hunting.

The only four legged animals I need to be concerned with is dogs. My Glock 19 will work for that, so long as I do my part as it relates to shot placement. Same goes for the two legged animals.

cfulback32
04-04-10, 12:20
Glock 19 for me as well. Easy to shoot, easy to find ammo and parts, boringly reliable.

INMIline
04-04-10, 12:36
G19 for sure. You can always carry higher cap mags.

ranburr
04-04-10, 12:43
9mm, .40, and .45 really don't meet the hunting requirement. Revolvers do a better job on the hunting requirement, but lose something in the defensive role IMO. I would have to go with a 1911 in 10mm. It is not the perfect answer for everything, but it is a pretty good jack of all trades.

DTHN2LGS
04-04-10, 14:16
A .45 ACP is not as effective as a .44 Magnum against big bears, but it still would be my go to caliber for two-legged and four-legged varmints. I think the two-legged variety are more likely to be trouble than the four-legged types. At least I'll be able to put big holes in any bears that may attack.

I haven't had a chance to shoot an S&W M&P 45 yet, but I would choose either that or a Glock 21SF.

f.2
04-04-10, 14:32
226-9

Biggy
04-04-10, 14:34
The full size S&W M&P 9MM with the Apex Tactical FC parts first or a 3rd Gen. Glock 19 or 17 second.

deuce9166
04-04-10, 16:27
Glock 35, 135 gr. Corbons for deer sized game, 180 gr. Rangers for people.

gtmtnbiker98
04-04-10, 16:49
Easy choice, my HK45.

Ian111
04-04-10, 21:22
Glock 17

dussandr
04-04-10, 22:50
J-frame .38. If I need anymore I have my Saiga.

Combat_Diver
04-05-10, 00:02
I've actually had to make that call for 3 yrs as I left the states and only took one handgun to Germany. Didn't figure in hunting with it but took my 1911 in .45 ACP with my Colt .22LR conversion. Other contenders were considered such as my 4" M66 .357mag or 4" M58 .41mag Smiths.

CD

Buck
04-05-10, 00:23
There was a previous discussion on this topic and I merged the two threads...

B

jasonhgross
04-05-10, 10:17
Umm, its Israel, good luck finding other calibers other than 9mm. I'll take the same thing I shoot here. Glock 19.

Dragon Slayer
04-05-10, 11:35
Umm, its Israel, good luck finding other calibers other than 9mm. I'll take the same thing I shoot here. Glock 19.

Hi brother a big shalom from one American/Israeli to another Israeli, good choice of gun:D

BigT
04-05-10, 11:55
G17 RTF. The 19 is an awesome pistola but a bit small for my hands.

I dont know about in Israel but here in South Africa a spare barrel or .22 conversion would be considered a whole new gun.

VooDoo6Actual
04-05-10, 12:17
G19

Go bang every time I pull the trigger....

LandCruiser
04-05-10, 12:27
M&P9. 9mm is very prevalent in the Middle East. All other effective handgun calibers are not. If the .40 was readily available, I'd go with the M&P40.

Couldn't have said it better myself

ROCKET20_GINSU
04-05-10, 12:48
Definitely a G19 if I needed 1 gun to do EVERYTHING, though if I was carrying as a normal law abiding citizen and there was zero chance of clearing buildings or open carry, was not playing gun games and normally dressed in more formal or summer attire I would consider going down to a G26 as I can pocket carry it very comfortably.

Its hard to argue against the Glock 9mm platform in this instance. Accurate, efficient, reliable, practical.

GU

Tucson
04-06-10, 19:56
Gotta' go with the Glock 19...

decodeddiesel
04-06-10, 20:01
G19 or M&P9 Fullsize or Compact.

mark5pt56
04-06-10, 20:42
With the intent of the question, G19. I say this as the "audience" will most likely be human.

If it was including anyplace where animals were in question, and all the other factors, I would say either a 3"65 or 4" 686.

xray 99
04-06-10, 21:31
S&W M58 .41 Magnum....just kidding....Glock 17.

Kool Aid
04-06-10, 21:46
Although its not my favorite pistol, and isn't even the favorite of my 9mms, my M&P 9c is my jack of all trades. I do get to keep my two factory mags and the 17-round X-mag too, right?

SO758
04-07-10, 05:05
My HK USP .45