PDA

View Full Version : 10-8 M&P base pad installed w/ pics

09-28-09, 16:23
I'm in law enforcement so every bit of an advantage helps out when it comes to equipment for survival.
I realize that these M&P base pads are way overpriced compared to the others on the market but it helps me sleep at night and work at night knowing I have something robust and with cutouts to help facilitate mag removal in the event of a failure. I know in the gaming world these have no purpose.
I also realize 99% of owners are fine with the plastic compact base pads.

With that said, I don't mind helping out another LEO on his business venture (Hilton Yam).

I have a can of Aluma-Hyde II coming in from Brownells. These seem very prone to scratching since it's pretty much bare aluminum. They also soak up oil like no other. They fit very snugly onto the mag body.

One thing I would like Yam to do is to invert the "10-8" on the base pads. On a holstered perspective, the 10-8 is upside down. It would be better advertising as well. :p

http://i34.tinypic.com/2pyu62s.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/17e3ut.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/dxeo1j.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/2564abl.jpg
http://i33.tinypic.com/fz66v4.jpg
http://i38.tinypic.com/169i7u1.jpg

The upside down 10-8 :D
http://i33.tinypic.com/szy4ut.jpg

decodeddiesel
09-29-09, 09:58
Hmmm. Haven't seen those installed on anything in the wild yet. Thanks for the pics and the review.

DMR
09-29-09, 21:59
Might be in future for my MP 45. And I would like to see them for my Kahr TP45.

NCPatrolAR
09-30-09, 10:57
I need to pick some of these up.

subzero
09-30-09, 12:29
I'm in law enforcement so every bit of an advantage helps out when it comes to equipment for survival.

SIXTY NINE DOLLARS AND THIRTY CENTS for a four pack.

What exactly do these "do" that makes them an advantage over anything?

Have so many floorplates shattered that this is such a necessary and expensive product? Or is it more akin to a SURPRISE COCK FAG ejection port door on an AR?

I'm thinking the latter.

NCPatrolAR
09-30-09, 12:35

Have so many floorplates shattered that this is such a necessary and expensive product? Or is it more akin to a SURPRISE COCK FAG ejection port door on an AR?

I'm thinking the latter.

the differences should be obvious. The metal withstands abuse better and can aid in mag ejection. Also the floorplate features a smaller profile, cuts to aid in mag extraction, and marking points for mag IDing.

decodeddiesel
09-30-09, 12:37
Also I have had issues with the 9mm compact "popping baseplates" when ejected onto a hard surface during speed reloads. If these plates fixed this issue they would be worth it for me.

09-30-09, 13:07

I'm thinking the latter.

It's a write off for me anyway plus the city pretty much paid for it with my equipment allowance. I think people are too focused on the pricing. I've seen it brought up on more than one forum. Besides the smaller size, it has scallops cut out to facilitate in forceful removal if need be.

If it's not your cup of tea so be it.

Longhorn
09-30-09, 13:19
Also, check out these pads doubled with the Boresight package:

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/postimages/83508-BoresightMP40_MagWellScoop_600.jpg

The duck bill/pringle lip coupled with the reliefs cut into the pad should make removing any stuck mags from the weapon that much easier (not that I've heard of this being a problem with the M&P).

Is ~$20 worth it for one...Some say no, and I can understand that when the compact pads are what $2 shipped? But I'm sure to some it's a sense of security knowing they've got a metal base vs rubber which could/maybe/possibly crack/break...to each their own.

Erik 1
09-30-09, 13:23
You guys should price billet car parts for comparison, and many of those are for appearance only.

Why is it helpful to ID the mags? (Sorry if that's too much of a newb question.)

09-30-09, 13:29
You guys should price billet car parts for comparison, and many of those are for appearance only.

Why is it helpful to ID the mags? (Sorry if that's too much of a newb question.)

What do you mean ID? Like to tell each one apart from another? I've always numbered my mags and keep track of them. If a problem arises, I can keep track of which one... if that makes sense.

09-30-09, 13:31
When I was in the mountain bike scene I was a weight weenie as the term went. My bike was a light as can be. I had my full suspension bike under 19 pounds. If people are complaining about a $20 base pad, I paid $50 for 10 little titanium bolts. No complaints there as well..

Back to the subject at hand.

Erik 1
09-30-09, 13:37
What do you mean ID? Like to tell each one apart from another? I've always numbered my mags and keep track of them. If a problem arises, I can keep track of which one... if that makes sense.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Longhorn
09-30-09, 15:23

As 021411 said, one theory is to "ID" mags that can be problematic.

Could be used to differentiate between training rounds vs SD/duty loads or even "who's mag is this?" in a unit fashion.

p7fl
09-30-09, 21:03
I believe the shorter front of the base pads were designed to save space and problems when reloading.
If you go to reload, the long base pad of the 2nd mag on your belt can got hooked pulling up on the first magazine on your belt.

Beat Trash
10-01-09, 10:27
I am still confused as to what these "new" base pads are supposed to do, other than help finically support Hilton Yam.

Yes I understand that they may be more durable than the factory base pads. I also understand the cutouts are to assist with clearing a stuck magazine.

In my mind, these are answers to problems that are non-issues.

My agency has had approximately 1,200 of the M&P 9mm's in the field for going on four years. I personally have around 9K rounds through my issued M&P in various training and practice sessions. (This does not count several thousand rounds through my personally owned M&P's).

While there have been some minor issues appear, breaking base pads is not one of them. Magazine base plates, on very rare occasions, can come off, if the detent pin is not properly seated, and if the magazine hits at a certain angle.

Solution to this is to ensure the detent pin is fully seated, (look in the hole in the bottom of the base plate). I would also offer if you do a magazine change where you discard you empty magazine, while involved in a gun fight, do you really care about that magazine?

My issued magazines have base pads that have the edges very scratched up due to all the dropping on concrete during magazine changing drills over the past 4 years. They show no sighs of cracking though. I have never seen, nor has the training staff at our range seen a base plate break due to a magazine hitting the ground.

As to removing stuck magazines, once again, I fail to see the need for the 10-8 base plate. The factory magazine drops free quit well. When experiencing a failure to extract, in which an empty case and a live round want to share the same space, sometimes the magazine will not drop free after locking the slide back. a swipe down the front strap of the pistol, catching that large base plate (that apparently is not in vogue) has always caused the magazine to come out.

If an individual wants to spend $69 plus shipping, have at it. If you like the looks, and can afford the price tag, go for it. But if the argument is going to be made that these baseplates are needed to enhance the survivability of an Officer issued an M&P, well I would have to disagree.

After spending the last 4 years getting to know the M&P 9mm, there are a few minor things I would change (more aggressive stippling on the grip inserts being top of the list), the magazine base plates is not one of them.

10-01-09, 11:15
Good information Beat Trash on first hand experience on sterile environments (ie range). But on the streets, you just never know. I don't know of any reports where an M&P of any caliber was used in an actually urban gun fight state side. I would love actual first hand experience.
Yes I agree that the M&P mags drop free 100% of the time and it's pretty good at it too. I'm not denying that.
It's the unknown I'm worried about. Sure the mags can be stripped with a quick swipe at the front but what about that one time it doesn't want to do that? This can go on and on..
I'm not really here to argue on the price point. We all have prices we are willing to pay. I didn't mind paying the $70 for the base pads.
It always boils down to price on pretty much everything nowadays. Remember where we are. M4C. Place where people (myself included) pay way more for stuff than usual.

With that said, my last duty gun was an XD40 Service. Yes I've had a mag get stuck. I had a failure to feed at the range (thank God). Tap, rack..Nothing. I tried to strip the mag.. No dice. I couldn't even get a good grip on the base pad. I eventually got the mag out after taking my time. Had this been an actually fight, it would have been fatal.
We all have experiences to justify certain things. This was one of them...enough for me to use my free money from the city to purchase.

Beat Trash
10-01-09, 13:06
Good information Beat Trash on first hand experience on sterile environments (ie range). But on the streets, you just never know. I don't know of any reports where an M&P of any caliber was used in an actually urban gun fight state side. I would love actual first hand experience.

Cincinnati Ohio PD has used M&P's for every OIS since transitioning to the M&P. No gun related issues in any OIS so far... Latest OIS with an M&P was last Monday. Two outlying smaller agencies also have used their newly issued M&P's in OIS's, no magazine issues so far... There have been other OIS's across the country with the M&P system.

Yes I agree that the M&P mags drop free 100% of the time and it's pretty good at it too. I'm not denying that.
It's the unknown I'm worried about. Sure the mags can be stripped with a quick swipe at the front but what about that one time it doesn't want to do that? This can go on and on.. I can't help to think you are trying to deal with a training issue by changing parts. IF a stuck magazine is a concern, why go to a smaller base plate?

I'm not trying to argue, or be an ass, I just can't comprehend the logic of going to a smaller base plate, other than for looks.

I'm not really here to argue on the price point. We all have prices we are willing to pay. I didn't mind paying the $70 for the base pads.
It always boils down to price on pretty much everything nowadays. Remember where we are. M4C. Place where people (myself included) pay way more for stuff than usual.

With that said, my last duty gun was an XD40 Service. Yes I've had a mag get stuck. I had a failure to feed at the range (thank God). Tap, rack..Nothing. I tried to strip the mag.. No dice. I couldn't even get a good grip on the base pad. I eventually got the mag out after taking my time. Had this been an actually fight, it would have been fatal.The M&P and the XD40 are two totally different animals.
We all have experiences to justify certain things. This was one of them...enough for me to use my free money from the city to purchase.

After my first post on this topic, I called the Range Master at our Firearms Training Unit to see if there exists an issue with the magazine base plate that I was totally unaware of. I was told nope, other than what I have mentioned.

As I stated in earlier, I am not trying to be an ass, or argue for the sake of arguing. I also realize that 1,200 guns over a four year period is not the same track record as say the Glock 9mm system has developed. I do feel that my experience with the 9mm M&P's is enough that I feel comfortable stating that the factory baseplate, properly installed (make sure the pin goes into the hole), is dependable enough to carry into harms way.

If others feel uncomfortable with the factory baseplate, and feel the need to change it, so be it. I will not attempt to dissuade anyone. I merely post this information for the individual contemplating the purchase of an M&P to protect them-self, be they an LEO, or a private citizen. I don't what them to think they must spend the additional money for Hilton Yam's baseplate in order for their pistol to be serviceable enough to carry into harms way. It just isn't true.

Biggy
10-01-09, 13:07
Here are some PICS of the S&W M&P 9MM/.40 Compact factory basepads for comparison . I got 16 of them from Speed Shooter Specialties for $1.75 ea , they also have black anodized aluminum ones for $10.00 ea.

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0445.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0441.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0443.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0444.jpg
http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss72/Biggy8/IMG_0446.jpg

10-01-09, 13:34
I understand the XD and M&P are two different systems. I was going back to the experience where I couldn't get a good grip on the base pad even in a static environment. There just isn't a good place to grab onto as with the M&P. That's just a plain fact. That's great that there haven't been any reports of stuck mags on the M&P. That's reassuring for everyone who relies on the gun daily.

I have never indicated that you MUST change out the base pad in order for the M&P to be serviceable. This was for ME. This is what I wanted. I already agreed that isn't any better than the cheaper OEM pads. The advantage in my eyes is the material used and the cutouts.
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. I'm not here to argue anything. If you don't like it or find it offensive, oh well. Not everyone sees things the same way.
Be it the OEM compact pads or the 10-8 pads, it helps. If anything, it makes it easier to remove a single mag without catching your hand on the other mag. I ran into that problem during qualifications.

Why go to a smaller base pad in the first place you ask... I was sold on the cutouts on the pad. It gives my fingers something to wedge into. The added bonus was the ease of extracting another mag from the pouch without snagging the other one. Cutouts first, ease of removal from pouch second. Not the other way around.
I have stated before, this can go on and on and on..

As with anything on the internet forums these days, YMMV.

NCPatrolAR
10-01-09, 14:10
After my first post on this topic, I called the Range Master at our Firearms Training Unit to see if there exists an issue with the magazine base plate that I was totally unaware of. I was told nope, other than what I have mentioned.

As I stated in earlier, I am not trying to be an ass, or argue for the sake of arguing. I also realize that 1,200 guns over a four year period is not the same track record as say the Glock 9mm system has developed. I do feel that my experience with the 9mm M&P's is enough that I feel comfortable stating that the factory baseplate, properly installed (make sure the pin goes into the hole), is dependable enough to carry into harms way.

If others feel uncomfortable with the factory baseplate, and feel the need to change it, so be it. I will not attempt to dissuade anyone. I merely post this information for the individual contemplating the purchase of an M&P to protect them-self, be they an LEO, or a private citizen. I don't what them to think they must spend the additional money for Hilton Yam's baseplate in order for their pistol to be serviceable enough to carry into harms way. It just isn't true.

I dont think anyone in this thread is saying that you HAVE to go buy these or your M&P will rip a gap in the time-space continuum. Its merely an option for people that are looking for something more than what the factory base-plate offers. Some are attracted to the scallops to aid in stuck mag removal. While stuck mags arent common in the M&P (I havent seen it with the 1500 + we field here) there is a chance that it could occur (as an example environmental conditions) and some people want to be prepared for it. The smaller profile limits the chance of the mag catching on something as it is being drawn. I've ran drills before where I would inadvertently pull two mags from my pouches because the toe of the 2nd mag was resting over the base of the first mag and was pulled out of the pouch when I conducted a reload. The smaller base plate grealty limits the chances of this occuring. The marking divets are simply there to aid in IDing mags.

All in all, the 10-8 baseplates offer a lot to the people that want to use them. No one is forcing anyone to go out and buy them nor is anyone MF'ing someone because they dont see the need in them. Its all about user preference. :)

10-01-09, 14:11
I got my matte black Alumahyde 2 yesterday and got to spraying. On one of the pads (the installed one) I did a spray and bake which isn't advised on the can instructions. These are supposed to be pretty much air dried. I threw one in the oven for about 40 mins at 200 deg. It came out textured..

The textured one half ass done.
http://i37.tinypic.com/wkiogw.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/178xoh.jpg

One of the three that I took time with. Nice and smooth finish. It's air curing right now until next week.
http://i37.tinypic.com/a47re0.jpg

Mate
10-01-09, 14:13
Magwell cutouts? I can buy a dremel and do both of my guns for the price of just one of these.

(which I did)

R Moran
10-01-09, 16:17
I suggest, anyone questioning the why of these pads, go to 10-8 forums, and read about them, or contact Hilton directly, I'm sure he would be glad to fill you in.

Hilton has reported seeing issues with the factory plastic pad breaking after extensive use. That's his experience, it would not be the first time two different people had two different experiences with the same product. Consider also, people having varying definitions of hard use, long term, etc etc.

The smaller footprint of the base plate serves 2 purposes..

As noted, often, depending on how you grip your spare mag, and the mag carrier, the toe of the rear mag, can interfere with the front mag. IIRC, Eagle delayed a M&P specific mag pouch for this very reason.

Second, again on how you grasp your spare mag, the toe of the standard base plate, tends to kick the mag away from your hand, giving you less control of the mag, or at least the feeling of less control. 1911 and Glocks mags, for instance, will lay flatter in your hand.

The side scallops were done to assist in both rip drills and tactical mag changes. The front scallop pretty much just for a rip drill.
This is not for a mag that fails to fall free during a speed load, but rather, for certain malfunctions, that require removal of the magazine. The magazine can often become stuck in the magwell, due to the a round 1/2 fed into an already full chamber. You will need a good grip on the mag to rip it out, and continue to fix the problem.

This is all spelled out, with pictures on a thread over at 10-8forums, very informative.

I do think, its a bit unfair to insinuate that Hilton has developed these in some sort of shameful money making scheme. He does earn a profit, as does everyone, but if he were out solely to make money off the gun buying public, he could offer alot more, lower quality and less useful stuff.

BTW, I don't own any of these base plates.

Bob

Boris
10-01-09, 21:30
I got my matte black Alumahyde 2 yesterday and got to spraying. On one of the pads (the installed one) I did a spray and bake which isn't advised on the can instructions. These are supposed to be pretty much air dried. I threw one in the oven for about 40 mins at 200 deg. It came out textured..

The textured one half ass done.
http://i37.tinypic.com/wkiogw.jpg
http://i37.tinypic.com/178xoh.jpg

One of the three that I took time with. Nice and smooth finish. It's air curing right now until next week.
http://i37.tinypic.com/a47re0.jpg

I agree that the 10-8 should be inverted for holstered presentation and/or advertisement. Not only does it say something about YOU at the time you're wearing it, but it endorses a product, designer/engineer, and mindset.

I do like the appearance of how the black matches the rest of the gun and can only assume the silver one shown is in the pre-black stage of completion during the air cure process????

I have some other manufactured aluminum base pads (for the 9/40 fs) which I have yet to use but they are intended for use with the M&P magwell of same manufacture. I will admit, in the 5+ thousand rds I've put through my 9mm M&P, I have yet to have a stuck mag or lose a factory, plastic base pad resulting from impact on a hard surface. Let's hope my carry M&P45 gun/mags combo are as durable.

Now let's discuss the need for that lanyard loop and the probability of losing that expensive base plate when doing mag changes on your horse. (sorry, couldn't resist)

-B

Gomez
10-01-09, 23:36
It seems, to me, that the smaller footprint would be a negative when it comes to addressing one hand FTE/Double Feed clearances.

10-02-09, 02:57
Lol about the lanyard loop. I added it to my order from Brownells to justify the shipping costs. It was cheap. I also heard S&W was giving them out free here and there.