PDA

View Full Version : Hoo Boy!! Writer for Outdoor Life Steps in it. Insults EBR Owners.

Heavy Metal
02-17-07, 21:32
Insinuates US Troops are 'Terrorists'.

Guys name is Jim Zumbo.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

Nathan_Bell
02-17-07, 21:57
Words fail me at how stupid that guy is. Gotta love that Gunwritr (Fortier) called him out though:D

ETA I am grumpy this evening, so I sent this message to Remington's customer service porthole.

Subject: Continued Advertisement in Outdoor Life

This evening I discovered that Jim Zumbo, a writer for Outdoor Life, penned what I consider one of the most irresponsible columns by a gunwriter that I have ever had the displeasure to read.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html

Is the opinion stated by Mr. Zumbo the one that Remington holds? If it is not a view held by Remington, it would be wise to remove any and all of your advertising that is shown on the site.
A site that just called for the abrogation of our 2 nd Amendment Rights.

I ask Remington to carefully consider if it neds to continue its relationship with a publication that is calling for such an attack upon our Constitution.

Aye, my grammar stinks, but I think they need to hear more.

Jay Cunningham
02-17-07, 22:14
What a ******* dick.

:mad:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Edited by Va_Dinger

Dude, that was funny and I do agree 100% but this is a PG13 forum. :)

tikkafan
02-18-07, 00:57
What can you say? Maybe he feels if hunters can distance themselves from the tactical (i.e. Blackwater "Mercs":rolleyes: ) image maybe the Dems will be lenient on them and let them keep their bolt action rifles.

Dave L.
02-18-07, 03:51
He can take his "sporting guns" and shove them up his ass. Wow, this guy should be ironing his yuppie safari cloths and buffing the moisture spots off his bluing instead of writing comments meant to separate the gun community.

Maybe he has never heard of "divide and conquer"- we don't need to separate hunters tac guys because most of may be one in the same.

Batt 57
02-18-07, 06:47
Everyone needs to post a reply and follow Nathan's lead with a letter to Remington and Outdoor Life's editors

Nathan_Bell
02-18-07, 08:35
From TheKatars post on TOS, more folk to send emails with links to.

www.jimzumbo.com/index.html

Sponsor List

REMINGTON
SWAROVSKI
GERBER KNIVES
MOSSY OAK
CABELA'S
SAFARI CLUB INTERNATIONAL
STONEY POINT PRODUCTS
HI MOUNTAIN SEASONINGS

BravoCompanyUSA
02-18-07, 11:15
Copy and paste this list of emails and politely explain your position.
I will not do business with anyone who supports, employs or accociates with the likes of Zumbo

webmaster@outdoorlife.com, webmaster@remington.com, tommy.millner@remington.com, dawn.lorello@swarovski.com, sales@gerberblades.com, benglish@mossyoak.com, pstrickland@mossyoak.com, domain.admin@CABELAS.COM, corporate@cabelas.com, info@stoneypoint.com, hans@himtnjerky.com, kimberly@himtnjerky.com, connie@himtnjerky.com, olletters@time4.com, elizabeth.burnham@time4.com, ashley.rosenfeld@time4.com, amanda.gastelum@time4.com, kristen.baumgarten@time4.com, amanda.mcnally@time4.com, michael.haugen@remington.com, gregory.baradat@remington.com, eddie.stevenson@remington.com

Razoreye
02-18-07, 11:43
His blog with over 1k replies:
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60842882

His sponsors:

webmaster@outdoorlife.com
webmaster@remington.com
tommy.millner@remington.com
dawn.lorello@swarovski.com
sales@gerberblades.com
benglish@mossyoak.com
pstrickland@mossyoak.com
domain.admin@CABELAS.COM
corporate@cabelas.com
info@stoneypoint.com
hans@himtnjerky.com
kimberly@himtnjerky.com
connie@himtnjerky.com
olletters@time4.com
elizabeth.burnham@time4.com
ashley.rosenfeld@time4.com
amanda.gastelum@time4.com
kristen.baumgarten@time4.com
amanda.mcnally@time4.com
michael.haugen@remington.com
gregory.baradat@remington.com
eddie.stevenson@remington.com

Arfcom thread:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=548211&page=1

GT thread:
http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=658355

And I just compiled a .pdf of his blog at 334 pages @ 1.6 MB :D

Please hit him in his pocket books, leave a (GOOD) message on his blog and email (carbon copy) all those sponsors a (GOOD) message as well. Thanks.

He just effectively alienated a huge portion of his and his sponsors' customer base, including us by calling us Terrorists!

Dozer
02-18-07, 11:52
Copy and paste this list of emails and politely explain your position.
I will not do business with anyone who supports, employs or accociates with the likes of Zumbo

webmaster@outdoorlife.com, webmaster@remington.com, tommy.millner@remington.com, dawn.lorello@swarovski.com, sales@gerberblades.com, benglish@mossyoak.com, pstrickland@mossyoak.com, domain.admin@CABELAS.COM, corporate@cabelas.com, info@stoneypoint.com, hans@himtnjerky.com, kimberly@himtnjerky.com, connie@himtnjerky.com, olletters@time4.com, elizabeth.burnham@time4.com, ashley.rosenfeld@time4.com, amanda.gastelum@time4.com, kristen.baumgarten@time4.com, amanda.mcnally@time4.com, michael.haugen@remington.com, gregory.baradat@remington.com, eddie.stevenson@remington.com

E-Mail sent:

Because of the irresponsible and damaging position Jim has taken against semi-auto owners I will no longer be doing business with any of you. Your continued support of this clown shows that you are in agreement with his stance and I simply cannot ignore that. You would be better served to drop this clown or stand ready to loose an enormous amount of patronage from the sport shooting community.

S/F
Libardo

tikkafan
02-18-07, 12:08
I can just imagine the mountains of email these poor people are going to have to endure after the Presidents day weekend. :D

Harv
02-18-07, 12:46
Should anyone be surprised..

These are the FUDDS that would throw there fellow gun owners under the bus in a heart beat to save there "hunting" guns.

These guys are the type I have fought with for years at my local clubs when ever we wanted to establish anything they don't agree with, like an IDPA shoot. Hell, they freak when they see the IDPA "Humanoid" type targets cause it's not a NRA approved Bullseye target.

Noop... nothing new here... same old fudds scared by AR's worried about loosing there right to shoot there bolt gun 40 times a year (that's 30 rds to zero and 10 rds to actually hit an animal)...

baffle Stack
Please hit him in his pocket books, leave a (GOOD) message on his blog and email (carbon copy) all those sponsors a (GOOD) message as well. Thanks.

He just effectively alienated a huge portion of his and his sponsors' customer base, including us by calling us Terrorists!

Done. Thanks for all the links

John_Wayne777
There have been folks reporting that the CEO of Remington is responding to complaints saying that they are baffled by Zumbo's statements and that Remington in no way shape or form agrees with what Zumbo said.

One e-mail even says that lots of folks at Remington own ARs and are none too happy about this themselves.

Cold Zero
02-18-07, 12:54
f.y.i.

jim zumbo has his own hunting show/sponsors on the outdoor channel. his irate words to the shows sponsors are in order here.:eek:

Nathan_Bell
02-18-07, 13:09
There have been folks reporting that the CEO of Remington is responding to complaints saying that they are baffled by Zumbo's statements and that Remington in no way shape or form agrees with what Zumbo said.

One e-mail even says that lots of folks at Remington own ARs and are none too happy about this themselves.

Mr Haugen of Remington just responded to me stating that Mr. Zumbo does not speak for remington, and that he will be speaking to the Pres. tomorrow.

Razoreye
02-18-07, 13:22
My email from Mr. Millner of Remington (CEO)

"Totally agree. Cannot explain his comments.

I love ar's also!!

Tommy millner
CEO"

Remington is doing a fine job as of right now.

-H-
02-18-07, 13:41
Just left a comment on his blog and saw the thread on ARFcom. Let me be the first to say:
http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/9287/untitledtw9.png (http://imageshack.us)

Someone had to post that.

Razoreye
02-18-07, 14:05
My lastest post to this guy's blog.

Dude, I just had to post again after I read another blog of yours not more than 6 days older than this one. I will bring it to your attention do to the huge amount of IRONY/CONTRADICTION with this new blog.
=====
"Many say that to argue amongst ourselves is devisive....we're adding ammo to the coffers of the anti's. But I believe that we all have opinions. And rightly so.

I hunt with a scope-sighted centerfire rifle. I'm damned proud of that. Some of you bowhunters and black powder hunters might take issue with that. That's your right.

But bottom line, whatever we hunt with, and however far we elect to shoot, we indeed are in the same fraternity. We need to keep sight of the objective ....being outdoors, challenging the quarry, and bringing home the game when we're successful. As they say, different strokes for different folks. Enjoy it, however you hunt."
=====

Remember saying that? Pot meet kettle, kettle this is pot.

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/...on_long_ra.html

uranus
02-18-07, 15:30
Here is a copy of my email to Outdoor Life.

I am writing in response to Zumbo’s article on assault rifles for hunters.

This is the worst of politics.

Outdoor Life and Remington, through Zumbo’s ranting, are trying to protect their financial interests and the perceived interests of the hunting industry by attempting to distinguish "legitimate" firearms from "combat" weapons. You are also attempting to distinguish "legitimate" gun owners from "combat" weapon owners by catering to your opinion of public perception rather than to educate the public. It is appalling that Remington would proffer the theory that a scoped Remington 700 XCR is less deadly than an AR15.

Outdoor Life and Remington obviously believe in the position that private gun ownership is not a right but a privilege and that citizens should demonstrate a reason for ownership that Outdoor Life and Remington believe is valid, which appears to be limited to hunting.

I assume that Outdoor Life and Remington believe that the target shooting events at Camp Perry are terrorist events and that citizens who own AR15 rifles are terrorists.

Additionally, it is shameful that Outdoor Life would categorize our soldiers, law enforcement officers, competitive and recreational shooters, hunters, and ordinary law-abiding citizens that use or own AR15 rifles with terrorists.

I believe, without any doubt, that if Remington produced an AR15 varmint rifle, Outdoor Life would be singing a different tune.

Razoreye
02-18-07, 15:46
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html

His apology. He is currently talking with Tom Gresham on guntalk.

Listen at www.kbnp.com.

kbi
02-18-07, 16:36
To late for an apology from him now .

Zumbo-> :eek: (Insert foot here)

BravoCompanyUSA
02-18-07, 16:47
My response posted to the blog ref his CYA apology.

Dear Mr Zumbo:
Your initial blog was not a verbal botched joke that may or may not reveal your true character and beliefs. It was a premeditated, thought out, drafted, written, edited, and posted column.

While I do appreciate the apology and can forgive an individuals ignorance, it does not negate the fact that you are not qualified to be a spokesman for any of your current sponsors, the firearms industry in general, shooting sports, defensive shooting, or anything that is related to the 2nd Amendment.

Flying the flag does not make someone a patriot. Knowing, embracing and propagating the principles on which this country was founded on is what makes someone a patriot. With all due respect, you have been found wanting in this area.

Cold Zero
02-18-07, 17:15
he is just trying to c.y.a. and save his t.v. show, wildlife cooking books, appearances, mag' articles and sponsors. another politician...:rolleyes:

Nathan_Bell
02-18-07, 17:29
My response posted to the blog ref his CYA apology.

Here is mine:

I am not the first to state this, but Brady has picked up on this. They are stating that your apology was forced and that it is not genuine. That is exactly why this shit-storm hit. When some dip-twit Hollywood type says something like this the country shrugs and figures "Hollywood." Now when someone who has been an outdoor writer for 40+ years says something like this, there is real damage.

I hope that you have enjoyed your 40+ years of being a respected writer, because you will forever be remembered by your remarks. Not your years of hunting advocacy, not for your work to keep public lands hunt-able, but for giving Brady and their ilk power to try and take all of our weapons, be they beautiful blued steel and walnut works of art, or my scratched up AR-15.
I do not accept your apology, not because I believe it is not sincere, but because some things are too big for sorry to cover.

Nathan Bell

Chris_C
02-18-07, 18:39
Dear All,

I am a responsible semi-auto gun owner and a bolt action gun owner. I have money to be spent in the market place.

Due to your continuing financial support of Jim Zumbo I will refuse to do business with your company.

Chris_C

John_Wayne777
02-18-07, 19:10
That apology wasn't really an apology....

It sounded more like a "please stop hitting me!" response than a "Holy fudge, I really messed up. I realize what a dork I have been and I am truly sorry" response.

And to add even MORE fun, the Brady Campaign myspace page has posted Mr. Zumbo's blog entry on their page. Lovely! Lets give ammo to the people who want to ban ALL of our guns!

Brilliant!

Kilroy
02-18-07, 19:32
Believe it or not, I'm your best friend if you're a hunter or shooter, though it might not seem that way. I simply screwed up. And, to show that I'm sincere about this, I just talked to Ted Nugent, who everyone knows, and is a Board member of the NRA.

When I want to apologize to someone, I do it by talking with the Nuge.....for whatever good that does.

recon
02-18-07, 21:02
:mad:

Jay Cunningham
02-18-07, 21:35
my email to the sponsor list:

Dear corporate sponsors of Jim Zumbo,

As I'm sure you're all painfully aware now, Jim Zumbo is about to start costing you money with his irresponsible commentary concerning citizens (or in his words, "terrorists") who use AR-15 pattern rifles. I, along with many thousands of fellow Second Amendment Enthusiasts, WILL NOT purchase any of your products or services again unless and until you officially sever your relationship with the anti-gun liberal and new Brady Bill Poster Boy, Mr. Zumbo.

Best Regards,

Thekatar
Terrorist (according to Jim Zumbo)

Bulldog1967
02-18-07, 21:39
Some of my photoshop pics from the arfcom "photoshop Zumbo" thread:

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/mcgeedigital/Zumbo.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/mcgeedigital/feinstein.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/mcgeedigital/brokeback_mountain.jpg

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w305/mcgeedigital/ZumboRetard.jpg

Jay Cunningham
02-18-07, 22:09
http://premium1.uploadit.org/docZox//AYBZUMBO.gif

chapperjoe
02-18-07, 22:48
I think the community hit this harder than any piece of potential legislation, court nominee or eleciton in the past three or four years. :eek:

I thought the FUDD was a myth of the not too distant past.

I was wrong. :mad:

I'm all for forgiveness and making right, but someone of this guys alleged stature (I'd never heard of him before) doesn't get off so easy.

-H-
02-18-07, 23:08
http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/7526/zumbokz5.gif (http://imageshack.us)

Who would have thought Zumbo was an Anti?

recon
02-18-07, 23:12
From Remington Arms!

http://www.glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=658706

baffle Stack
02-19-07, 00:35
That ARF gif is hilarious.

ETA: Did you guys see the bradycanpaign Myspace page? Check out the blog, it looks like another fire mission from TOS :D

<http://www.myspace.com/bradycampaign>

I left it cold because I am wearing my tinfoil hat tonight.

Dave L.
02-19-07, 02:11
Dear Sponsor of Jim Zumbo,

I have read the blog on Outdoor Life regarding Jim’s view on AR-15’s and AK-47’s.
I happen to own both of these types of rifles and still consider myself a “traditional hunter”.
I also happen to be a Marine Corps Combat Veteran who spends more money on hunting, shooting, and outdoor gear than one probably should. I don’t care it Jim takes 30 soldiers hunting per year on lifetime trips, it is not an acceptable excuse.

I am writing this letter because I will no longer do any type of business with your company until you cut all ties with Jim Zumbo. I don’t like hearing that I am a “terrorist” because I like to pull the trigger 30 times in 4 seconds; it’s my Second Amendment Right!

Apologizing for Jim Zumbo is unacceptable at this point. As gun owners are 99.9% Republicans we are able to spot “damage control” a mile away; please refrain from patronizing us with “Jim wasn’t thinking” type replies. Jim Zumbo was in the Apex of the gun/hunting community, in which he has great power and great responsibility. Someone in his position does not deserve a second chance(I am sorry to say).

This may be a sign from God telling Jim it’s time to retire.

Thank you for understanding,

John_Wayne777
02-19-07, 07:25
In all the Zumbo controversy I ran into this little gem on the Brady campaign for idiocy's Myspace site:

would like to take a moment to comment on the proliferation of Sniper Rifles.
Sniper Rifles are typically equipped with a high-powered scope, and every single one of them can blow through the body armor cops wear. They can even penetrate multiple police cars. Does the Second Amendment protect cop-killer Sniper Rifles? The NRA certainly thinks so, along with the powerful gun lobby that wants your children and your law enforcement officers to be at risk from these weapons of mass destruction. Some of these Sniper Rifles can even penetrate ballistic or armored glass, lightly armored vehicles, and armored limousines. Senator Ted Kennedy attempted to solve this with an important bill that would have banned armor piercing ammunition and protected lawful firearm commerce:

"Another rifle caliber, the 30.30 caliber, was responsible for penetrating three officers' armor and killing them in 1993, 1996, and 2002. This ammunition is also capable of puncturing light-armored vehicles, ballistic or armored glass, armored limousines, even a 600-pound safe with 600 pounds of safe armor plating.....

..It is outrageous and unconscionable that such ammunition continues to be sold in the United States of America.."

Should our elected officials live under the threat of reprisal on their lives from disgruntled constituents? The Gun Lobby seems to think so. We disagree.

Sniper Rifles can be equipped with precision optics above even what the Military uses, allowing a sniper to deliver rounds within millimeters of accuracy - enabling them to engage targets at distances of well over one hundred meters. Is there a pressing need to be able to kill with accuracy at that distance? It is too far to justify as self defense. It is too far for hunting. It is only useful for those who wish to murder from afar.

Large caliber Sniper Rifles such as the .50 Browning Machine Gun can derail freight cars, shoot down aircraft and helicopters, damage vital ground equipment such as power substations, fuel tanks, and air traffic control, and cause complete chaos. For more information on why large caliber machine-gun rounds must be banned, visit http://www.50caliberterror.com. A shipment of large caliber machine-gun round sniper rifles made by Steyr turned up in Iran, and are being used on our own soldiers, as the .50 bullets easily defeat their body armor, their up-armored humvees, and even APCs.

Many forward thinking, progressive politicians such as Ted Kennedy, Chuck Schumer, Barbara Boxer, Nancy Pelosi, Hillary Clinton, and Barack Obama have voted against Center-Fire Rifle Ammunition of types for Sniper Rifles, but due to the pressure and massive financial resources of the gun industry, the necessary steps to protect our homes and lives have not been attained.

Sniper Rifles have been used by murderers and spree killers for years, with notable incidents such as the Beltway Snipers, the Clocktower Sniper, and more.

ANY rifle configured and equipped as a sniper rifle has no sporting purpose especially as a hunting rifle. They are too big and heavy to take to the field. Designed for distance shooting, they are useless for the ranges at which game animals are normally shot, and when used on sporting sized game at range they often just wound the animal, inhumanely forcing it to die slowly while the would-be hunter tracks it to finish it off. Most Sniper Rifles fire atypically large cartridges and ultra high velocity ammunition that can travel much greater distances that standard ammunition. The danger imposed from missed shots and ricochetes from these specialty rounds is unreasonable.

Most of these rifles carry multiple rounds, with either an automatic mechanism, or a quick toggle action to rapidly move another bullet into the breech, ready to fire into another victim. In most states, they are nearly unrestricted. Anyone over the age of 18 can buy one. If they can't pass a background check, they skirt the NCIS system by going to a gunshow, or finding a private sale in the newspaper. A murderer camped at a distance from a public gathering could quickly turn it into a massacre dwarfing anything we have seen before in the United States, if they had a Sniper Rifle. If they adopted hit and run tactics, entire portions of our country could be shut down.

Sniper Rifles shoot a high powered bullet that is almost always fatal. They are designed for one thing- delivering powerful overkill with deadly precision. You don't need the kind of power and accuracy that can kill a man at five hundred yards for hunting rabbits or defending your house.

We should also give commendations to France because many years ago they designated any firearm capable of shooting military ammunition as a military arm, illegal to posess without a special permit and unlawful to use for hunting. The 223, 308, 7mm mauser, 30-06, and 6.5x55 have no place in the hunting fields of France. Firearms shooting these calibers are military weapons only designed for killing PEOPLE and should be kept out of the hands of the general population. Because they have no hunting purpose, there is no reason for civilians to own them.

Every state in the USA has hunting equipment rules that limit the caliber of firearm used to take game. They also limit the types of rifles, length, magazine capacity, etc. States should amend these hunting regulations to restrict the use of "sniper" rifles, specialty "sniper" cartridges, and "sniper" ammunition. Limits on weight, barrel length, bipods and tripods, thumbhole stocks and pistol grips, night vision type scopes, scopes of excessive magnification, super magnum and high velocity ammunition, and military slings should be imposed. They have no place in the hunting fields of America and hunting usage should not be used as an argument for civilians to own such firearms and weapons. There are more than ample hunting rifles, cartridges, and rounds of ammunition to choose from without them.

Let us hope that in a safer, saner America, we will succeed in our efforts to restrict the deadly spread of long distance murder rifles.

Perhaps those who think the 2nd amendment is about duck and deer guns need to read that the Brady campaign calls the .30-30 and other common HUNTING calibers "long distance murder rifles".

...And some wonder why the entire gun community is so ticked off at Zumbo for his comments.....:mad:

Nathan_Bell
02-19-07, 07:48
In all the Zumbo controversy I ran into this little gem on the Brady campaign for idiocy's Myspace site:

Perhaps those who think the 2nd amendment is about duck and deer guns need to read that the Brady campaign calls the .30-30 and other common HUNTING calibers "long distance murder rifles".

...And some wonder why the entire gun community is so ticked off at Zumbo for his comments.....:mad:

Which is, as I posted on TOS, important to react the same way to this https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=3816 and let our Reps know that this is not right.

John_Wayne777
02-19-07, 08:40
Remington is now officially severing all ties with Zumbo. A brief blurb about this can be seen in the upper right hand corner of Remington's homepage.

...now if only we could get people this organized to fight actual legislation....

BravoCompanyUSA
02-19-07, 09:06
Currently on the front page of http://www.remington.com website. Upper right corner.

NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today.

combatvet
02-19-07, 09:32
A few idiots at ARFCOM are claiming they are responsible for the uproar. I think it was a combination of all of the firearm/hunting communities banding together to out this senile fool.

While I hate to think "we" ruined his career, I hope he truly realizes he did it to himself. Dropping Nuge's name won't help him a bit.

I think Brady will be happy to recruit him for their cause and I think he will happily walk hand in hand with them now.

I just hope we will all band together like this before the next AWB gathers enough steam to pass.

Nathan_Bell
02-19-07, 09:32
Currently on the front page of http://www.remington.com website. Upper right corner.

NOTICE: Remington is in the process of severing our sponsorships with Mr. Zumbo. Remington in no way shares or advocates any of the comments made by Mr. Zumbo on his blog site. A formal announcement will be released by noon today.

Good for them, now we have to keep the pressure up. I am not being vindictive about this, but with Brady using his words against us we have to show that the gun owning public completely disagrees with him.

Off to my local gun store this afternoon to try and rile them up -)

Obiwan
02-19-07, 10:36
from Remington

Dave L.
02-19-07, 11:05
Wow, I also got a short response back from Remington CEO, "we have already cut him loose!"

Good on Remington for spotting a bad(old?) egg.

Chris_C
02-19-07, 11:08
A few idiots at ARFCOM are claiming they are responsible for the uproar. I think it was a combination of all of the firearm/hunting communities banding together to out this senile fool.

While I hate to think "we" ruined his career, I hope he truly realizes he did it to himself. Dropping Nuge's name won't help him a bit.

I think Brady will be happy to recruit him for their cause and I think he will happily walk hand in hand with them now.

I just hope we will all band together like this before the next AWB gathers enough steam to pass.

Several good points, I too saw how it was only the ARFCOM crowd who did this all by themselves...Anyway...

It is easy to get on drag and bash band wagon. It is different to write letters, got to townhall meetings, fund pro gun politicians, etc...I think 100 Jim Zumbos could go by before we all unite like that to stop a ban.

Sad, But I think it is true.

Chris_C
02-19-07, 11:23
As I read Remingtons response...I am a little turned off..Let me explain:

Far too often consumers fall victum to emails sent to large corporations that do not get a reply back to. As consumers we only have power in with our wallats. Emails to not force a corporation to listen, but a call for a boycott does.

Remingtons response, to me, was like "We spend millions of dollars on defending the 2nd Amendment, how dare you call for a boycott". It is not in my best interest alone that they defend the 2nd Amendment, it is in Remingtons bottom line interest that they spend that money.

Remingtons dollars were going to an emeny of AR owners. Thats as simple as it can get. If I send an email saying "I am upset at Jim Zumbo" they have the option to respond, if I call for a boycott of Remington until they do something about him, they are forced to respond.

f.2
02-19-07, 11:34

Good on them.

Submariner
02-19-07, 11:49
Remington to Sever Sponsorship Ties with Jim Zumbo

Madison, North Carolina – As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those options, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington.

“Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars defending our Second Amendment rights to privately own and possess firearms and we will continue to vigorously fight to protect these rights,” commented Tommy Millner, Remington’s CEO and President. “As hunters and shooters of all interest levels, we should strive to utilize this unfortunate occurrence to unite as a whole in support of our Second Amendment rights.”

We regret having to terminate our long-standing relationship with Mr. Zumbo, who is a well-respected writer and life-long hunter.

http://www.remington.com/library/press/2007/2007-1.asp

"When I feel the heat, I see the light." Sen. Everitt Dirksen (R., IL), deceased

RENEA
02-21-07, 18:56
He's got the Fudd mentality like alot of hunters do that vote exclusively for Dems and have the John Kerry 04 stickers on their stationwagons (I see tham at ranges sometimes).

What can you say? Maybe he feels if hunters can distance themselves from the tactical (i.e. Blackwater "Mercs":rolleyes: ) image maybe the Dems will be lenient on them and let them keep their bolt action rifles.

rhino
02-21-07, 20:04
I'm impressed by the volume and the intensity of the response to Zumbo's arrogant display of ignorance.

At the same time, I wish we could routinely see the same volume of participation among shooters and gun owners when it comes to legislative issues.

graffex
02-21-07, 21:46
I'm impressed by the volume and the intensity of the response to Zumbo's arrogant display of ignorance.

At the same time, I wish we could routinely see the same volume of participation among shooters and gun owners when it comes to legislative issues.

My thoughts exactly.

RobG
02-22-07, 00:43

I actually believe we could... Someone.... perhaps some of our more eloquent members could draft an email template for lazy asses like myself to cut and paste ... I think this would actually help (me anyway):confused: :confused:

John_Wayne777
02-22-07, 08:03
I actually believe we could... Someone.... perhaps some of our more eloquent members could draft an email template for lazy asses like myself to cut and paste ... I think this would actually help (me anyway):confused: :confused:

I would post mine except it is geared toward my representative who has always been a staunch 2nd amendment (yes, even for evil baby-slaughtering terrorist weapons) supporter for many years.

He is even on the committee that will take action on HR 1024.

My e-mail thanked him for his past support and encouraged him to continue his pattern of support by voting down things like HR 1024.

Jay Cunningham
02-22-07, 12:00
Gerber and the NRA just dumped him.

Stupid should hurt.

Jay Cunningham
02-22-07, 12:10
The last few days have been an educational experience, to say the least. My ill-conceived inflammatory blog, as all of you now know, set off a firestorm that, I’m told, has never before been equaled. I’m not proud of that.
Let me say this at the outset. My words here are from the heart, and all mine. No one can censor me, and I answer to no one but myself. And I have no one to blame but myself. Outdoor Life, a magazine that I worked for full-time as Hunting Editor for almost 30 years, fired me yesterday. My TV show was cancelled yesterday. Many of my sponsors have issued statements on their website to sever all relationships. This may cause many of you to do backflips and dance in the streets, but, of course, I’m not laughing, nor am I looking for sympathy. I don’t want a pity party.

They say hindsight is golden. Looking back, I can’t believe I said the words “ban” and “terrorist” in the context that I did. I don’t know what I was thinking when I wrote that. I can explain this as sheer ignorance and an irresponsible use of words. What I’ve learned over the last few days has enlightened and amazed me. As a guy who hunts 200 days a year, does seminars on hunting, wrote for six hunting magazines, had a hunting TV show, and wrote 20 books on hunting, how could I have been so ignorant and out of touch with reality in the world of hunting and shooting?

But I was. I really can’t explain it, maybe because I just summarily dismissed the firearms in question in my mind when I saw them in magazines and catalogs. I saw one “black” firearm in a hunting camp in all my 50 years of hunting, and I shot one last year off a boat when fishing in Alaska. To tell the truth, it was fun and I enjoyed it immensely, but I never considered one for use in hunting. I have to tell you that I have had a revelation. I’m learning that many of my pals own AR-15’s and similar firearms and indeed use them for hunting. I was totally unaware that they were being used for legitimate hunting purposes. That is the absolute truth.

My biggest regret is not the financial impact of all this. I’m almost 67 and retirement is an option. The dreadful impact here is that I inadvertently struck a spear into the hearts of the people I love most…America’s gun owners. And, even though this huge cadre of dedicated people have succeeded in stripping me of my career, I hold no grudges. I will continue to stand as firm on pro hunting as I’ve ever done. But what’s different now is that I’ll do all I can to educate others who are, or were, as ignorant as I was about “black” rifles and the controversy that surrounds them. My promise to you is that I’ll learn all I can about these firearms, and by the time this week is out, I’ll order one. The NUGE has invited me to hunt with him using AR-15’s, and I’m eager to go, and learn. I’ll do all I can to spread the word.

I understand that many of you will not accept this apology, believing that the damage has been done and there’s no way to repair it. You have that right. But let me say this. I mentioned this above, and I’ll repeat it. I’m willing to seize this opportunity to educate hunters and shooters who shared my ignorance. If you’re willing to allow me to do that, we can indeed, in my mind, form a stronger bond within our ranks. Maybe in a roundabout way we can bring something good out of this.

Jim Zumbo

You've got to be kidding, HE STILL DOESN'T QUITE GET IT??? "[U]sed for legitimate hunting purposes"???

:confused:

rhino
02-22-07, 12:28
You've got to be kidding, HE STILL DOESN'T QUITE GET IT??? "sed for legitimate hunting purposes"???

You're right on that. He still can't wrap his arrogant little brain around the fact that our right to own guns, the Second Amendment, and everything else related to this issue have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with hunting or any other sporting activity.

Maybe the Nuge can straighten him out.

TOrrock
02-22-07, 12:58
In a way, I am sympathetic to the man loosing everything. I don't rejoice at that. He's lost his career.

He should NEVER have said what he did in an open forum, especially given the weight his word carried, and the position he held.

I've said it before, that I could care less if he thought my rifles were "terrorist" rifles, fine, as long as he says stuff like that in private.

What I can not forgive is the ultimate lack of judgement on his part, giving our enemies some of the best ammunition they've had yet. One of "our own" says that these are terrorist rifles and should be banned from "sporting" use.

I'm sure he's remorseful, I'm sure that if he could he would take everything back, but he can't. He let the genie out of the bottle.

Hell, I'd be willing to take him shooting and educate him about the rifles that we all enjoy, but I don't think he can do any good to anyone any more.

Outdoor Life And Jim Zumbo Part Ways
By Todd. W. Smith
Editor-in-Chief

Outdoor Life magazine Editor-in-Chief Todd Smith released the following statement today regarding writer Jim Zumbo:

February 2007

In light of comments made by Jim Zumbo in his February 16, 2007 blog posting on the magazine’s website, Mr. Zumbo has offered to terminate his association with Outdoor Life, and the magazine has accepted his offer. Accordingly, he will no longer be contributing to the magazine in print or online. His final column with Outdoor Life will appear in the April 2007 issue, which has already gone to press.

We respect Mr. Zumbo's First Amendment right to free speech, and we acknowledge his subsequent apology and admission of error. However, Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of all aspects of the shooting sports and our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the appearance of the firearms we choose to own, shoot or hunt with.

We regret this turn of events, as Mr. Zumbo has been a good friend to this magazine and lifelong advocate for hunters and hunting rights.

We appreciate the comments we've received from our loyal readers about this matter and encourage them to continue to correspond with us. Please direct any additional comments to OLletters@time4.com

RyanS
02-22-07, 13:11
What's he whining about....losing his job. He can still work for the Brady Campaign.

He says no one can censor him....I will agree, but we can still make him pay and we did. He's shouldn't have been suprised that there was such a reaction.

He doesn't get, and I don't think he ever will. His comment about continuing to stand as firm on pro hunting as he's ever done despite his fall from glory is telling. In his mind, if in his opinion it can't be used for hunting is serves absolutely no purpose. Since he's been "enlightened" it okay then. The problem is that despite his feigned "enligthenment" he already told us in his initial blog that he was aware that ARs were being used for hunting purposes. He's a dimwitted Fudd, and that's all he'll ever be.

Well, anyway, it's time for the SOB to shut up and fade away.

RobG
02-22-07, 13:48
In a way, I am sympathetic to the man loosing everything. I don't rejoice at that. He's lost his career.

He should NEVER have said what he did in an open forum, especially given the weight his word carried, and the position he held.

I've said it before, that I could care less if he thought my rifles were "terrorist" rifles, fine, as long as he says stuff like that in private.

What I can not forgive is the ultimate lack of judgement on his part, giving our enemies some of the best ammunition they've had yet. One of "our own" says that these are terrorist rifles and should be banned from "sporting" use.

I'm sure he's remorseful, I'm sure that if he could he would take everything back, but he can't. He let the genie out of the bottle.

Hell, I'd be willing to take him shooting and educate him about the rifles that we all enjoy, but I don't think he can do any good to anyone any more.

Hey - actually I think he could be a great benefit. Converts are often the strongest supporters. I dont think that means we should automatically forgive and forget, but the guy could be a strong voice. I dont like what he said... but we would be better off just putting this energy in to fighting HR1022.

baffle Stack
02-22-07, 14:37
Does anyone else feel bittersweet about this whole situation? I feel like I just put my grandpa in an old folks’ home.:( Someone should tell this guy that the 2nd amendment isn’t about hunting. Maybe some people just can’t grasp that…?:confused:

I have never hunted in my life and don’t have intensions to, but I would never call hunters’ names like Zumbo did to us EBR owners. That’s cannibalism. I have and use firearms for the sole purpose of self defense. And this is a very legitimate purpose Mr. Zumbo… I refuse to become another statistic (Like my dear mother was many years ago). This is what the 2nd amendment means to me. Yes the 2nd amendment is great for hunters, but it encompasses all legal firearm owners, regardless of their intended purpose. I do not terrorize anyone with my carbine.

Using this experience to educate others like you is an excellent idea and I wish you luck, but realize that not everyone uses firearms for hunting/sporting purposes. Some have a much more “primal” reason for gun ownership. That does not make us criminals or terrorists. We simply put great values on our lives and the lives and wellbeing of out loved ones.

RobG
02-22-07, 17:54
Does anyone else feel bittersweet about this whole situation? I feel like I just put my grandpa in an old folks’ home.:(

Yeah, I have been having a bit of that feeling as well. While I am upset that he still seems not to 'get it' we sure as hell tore the world out from under him (yeah I know he did it to himself) but I still feel a little, well read above quote(couldnt have said it better). I truly believe that with a time Zumbo could actually come out as a strong voice and perhaps even bring a few of the other
hunters who arent into the EBR's over... which in the end is a good thing, right?

I dunno? :confused:

M4arc
02-22-07, 17:56
I think this situation proves that we, as gun owners, can accomplish BIG things through the internet. We did not have this medium in '94 but look at the power it has today.

We've proven through this Zumbo incident that we are very powerful when we're united and if we can take this fight to anti-gun legislation then I'm confident we'll win! Look at the response we received now that we have the WWW at our disposal and imagine what the congress critters must be thinking if they are watching.

Does anyone else feel bittersweet about this whole situation? I feel like I just put my grandpa in an old folks’ home.

I'm not. Maybe he needed to be yanked out of his comfort zone. Maybe he is learning a little something that there is more to gun ownership than just hunting. Maybe he'll become a huge proponent in the fight to keep and bear arms?

baffle Stack
02-22-07, 20:25
Good point Marc. This situation opened my eyes big time to the power of the internet. I will shun writing my congressmen no more!:eek:

M4arc
02-22-07, 20:49
On one hand I think it's sad he lost his job but if I you or I sent the wrong email we could lose our jobs as well. It happens all time. The internet gives everyone a platform to say what they want but it can also be a very dangerous place.

-H-
02-23-07, 12:06
I think that the whole sweeping effectiveness of this ordeal was in part to the fact that all involved parties cater to us as gun owners and consumers.

With floods of people vowing to stop doing buisness with Zumbo's sponsers and employers they had to drop him as fast as possible to cut their losses.

If there was a way to threaten the wallets of politicians who propose and support anti-gun legislation via the Internet, then we could see the same effectiveness in a political application.

Until we have the complete list of corporate supporters and funders of the Anti's, we have no direction to place fire. We all know that writing letters to politicians doesn't have the same effect as threatening the wallets of their corporate sponsership.

TOrrock
02-23-07, 18:16
Denny Hansen invited Zumbo to take some classes with him.

Razoreye
02-23-07, 23:22
I want to give props to Dport for trying to get Gresham to turn the heat up Sunday.

I also want to give props to Eric over at GT and everyone else that tried to beat the message into Zumbo in which he totally missed the point - the 2nd amendment is about our protected and natural right to bear arms for everything from self defense to hunting to sporting to throwing or whatever you do with it.

Both his apologies were hollow, full of excuses, and something that read like a resume. Not only that but he misses the point of our anger both times. Tom Gresham is okay by me with his last statement he released, however I do not care for Ted Nugent or his merry band of leghumping apologists.

paradoc
02-23-07, 23:32
hopefully this incident and the statements of Dave Petzal have awakened the sleeping giant and we as a group can soundly defeat any chance of an AWB in any form through both our elected representatives currently in power and at the ballot box as well.

It is high time that we get pissed as a group and show that there will be no quarter given for those that would restrict our liberty.