PDA

View Full Version : Question for Colt guys:

Fringe
09-29-09, 14:54
Back before the prices were crazy and when Colt had the big pins, I bought two 6920's for my sons for when the time was right.
Fast forward to today with the new, "regular" size pins and I am concerned about my forethought with these pins not being obtainable anymore. Is this warrant for concern? Should I sell them and start over?
Thanks.

vaglocker
09-29-09, 15:07
Stripped lowers are cheap enough that you could just buy a couple with the small pins and keep them in the safe just in case.

Buck
09-29-09, 15:15
Fear not... The larger pins are very strong, and I have never heard of one wearing out... Consider them the "heavy duty" pins that are far stronger than their wimpy competitors...

If one was needed, they will be available for a very long time for Colt, They still sell part for first generation SAAs that they stopped producing in 1941... That being said, barring unforeseen catastrophes, I can see no real need to replace them in your or your grandchildren’s lifetimes...

B

Beat Trash
09-29-09, 16:07
Back before the prices were crazy and when Colt had the big pins, I bought two 6920's for my sons for when the time was right.
Fast forward to today with the new, "regular" size pins and I am concerned about my forethought with these pins not being obtainable anymore. Is this warrant for concern? Should I sell them and start over?
Thanks.

Among other things in my safe are two NIB 6920's. Each one has the name of one of my kids hanging from a small tag tied to the trigger guard. Both are of the large pin type. I have no concern about switching them out.

There is also a consecutive serial numbered pair of Glock 19 pistols set aside for the kids. These are 3rd generation frames, but the one pin vs. the two pin frames. Once again, I'm not overly concerned about "upgrading" them.

Keep what you already have. Set aside some magazines and ammunition to go with the rifles. Hopefully your kids will appreciate what you have done for them, in the future.

noops
09-29-09, 16:28
Beat trash,

You wanna adopt me?

warpigM-4
09-29-09, 19:15
I believe you should keep what you got as Buck stated you can get replacement parts and just look at them as Heavy duty pins:D..I got a Match target M4 carbine colt defense marked Lower just about a week ago and i don't have a tool to measure them Up next to a double star lower the pins on the Colt are larger so I guess that would be .170 instead of the .155 .but I see no reason to freak

theJanitor
09-29-09, 19:24
maybe buy a couple of the DD big pin stripped uppers. then they could build a custom upper and utilize their colt lower receivers

Fringe
09-29-09, 20:18
Thanks all for chiming in. I feel better now about keeping what I have. I hate to sound paranoid, but I just want my kids to have one of the "best." Maybe they won't be when the time is right to bestow the carbines upon them, but I think the right mixture will be there. I like to think of them as the stronger pins too, but I am well familiar with Murphy and like to have all my ducks in a row as much as I can.
My Dad never did anything like this for me as he was not a gun guy, so there might be a chance they are not even interested, but I will be sure to enjoy them if this is the tragic case.
It is pretty cool, however, to hear Colt is still making parts for weapons long ago made. Cool indeed.

09-29-09, 21:24
Colt is a great company, despite what the few unknowledgeable naysayers say. If I had to rely long term on a single company, it would be Colt. And yes, I put my $$$ where my mouth is. Just picked up a 6920 today.

Veracity
09-29-09, 23:03
If you want to buy a few spare parts, visit the Specialized Armament Warehouse website.

The deal exclusively with Colt rifles and Colt parts.

It just so happens that I bought two sets of spare pins too....both sizes. And a few extra components that are "pin size dependent" Hammer, trigger, disconnector....

I've got both pin sizes in my little arsenal.

sgtlmj
10-24-09, 16:03
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=10828/pid=4850/sku/Hammer___Trigger_Pin___170_

Captains1911
10-24-09, 18:32
I see no need to replace the large pin lowers. As already suggested, if you're worried, purchase a few pins and associated spare parts for each rifle.

warpigM-4
10-25-09, 11:18
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=10828/pid=4850/sku/Hammer___Trigger_Pin___170_

they seem to be back in stock with a lot of items,its been a while that I looked there everything was out