PDA

View Full Version : Castle nut wrench recomendation with ASAP?

yellowthunder
09-29-09, 16:43
hey everyone,
I've got my lower receiver assembled with the Magpul ASAP but, the castle nut wrench I'm using is a pain because the rail section of the ASAP is in the way and my wrench keeps slipping off.

Anyone out there could recommend a good castle nut wrench that will work around the ASAP rail without slipping off (Maybe because I was using a cheap all purpose AR wrench)?

I've done a search but haven't found anything

Thanks guys

Apollo11
11-04-09, 18:29
The DPMS wrench that runs about $30 is great. That little stud that interfaces with the nut is plenty. It only needs one recess to turn the nut, money well spent.

RPrats
11-04-09, 23:56
I bought the mil-spec NSN stock wrench block from Brownells after the little stub on my dpms wrench eventually broke off. Its a hardened steel block that you use in conjunction with a socket wrench.

kwelz
11-05-09, 11:19
I also use the DPMS wrench and it does work pretty well even with the ASAP. Somehow I have lost mine though and my new plate gets here tomorrow! Guess I need to go digging through the garage!

Skter505
11-05-09, 19:34
The DPMS wrench that runs about $30 is great. That little stud that interfaces with the nut is plenty. It only needs one recess to turn the nut, money well spent.

+1 might as well get a wrench that will do barrels and muzzle devices while your at it.

Belmont31R
11-05-09, 22:09
I have that DPMS wrench, and Id suggest something else.

I also have a RRA castle nut wrench seen here: http://stickman.rainierarms.com/galleries/WeaponEvolution.com/IMG_4731%201028%20WEVO%20Stick.jpg

Works better IMO. Also that DPMS unit I have likes to scratch crush washers because its too wide, and gets caught on the flash hider and washer. If that doesnt matter to you then it will work. Maybe I just got a bad one. I prefer a 3/4" open ended wrench for muzzle devices, and a thin piece of tape to prevent damage.

Oh yes the little nubs on the DPMS wrench broke off (the ones for a FF barrel nut). Looks like pot metal...

Apollo11
11-05-09, 22:44
Here is the DPMS wrench I was talking about:

http://usarmorment.com/dpms-ar15m16-multi-tool-newest-powder-coated-finish-p-449.html

The RRA wrench you show slipped off the ASAP rail, and caused the nut to marr. The DPMS is 4140 steel, and should be able to tighten/loosen a bunch of nuts.

RPrats
11-06-09, 10:17
The DPMS wrench will eventually fail. Get the Brownells NSN wrench block. There are two NSN armorer blocks. One is for receiver extensions and the other is multipurpose for barrels.

seb5
11-06-09, 17:08
[QUOTE=Belmont31R;489910]I have that DPMS wrench, and Id suggest something else.

Works better IMO. Also that DPMS unit I have likes to scratch crush washers because its too wide, and gets caught on the flash hider and washer. If that doesnt matter to you then it will work. Maybe I just got a bad one. I prefer a 3/4" open ended wrench for muzzle devices, and a thin piece of tape to prevent damage.

QUOTE]

Exactly my experience as well.

halo2304
11-08-09, 20:28
I'm actually having the same problem. My wrench is a mulit-use similar to the DPMS. I've been looking around town for a hook style spanner wrench but nobody has one. I might have to make one...*groan* :rolleyes:

Belmont31R
11-08-09, 20:36
I'm actually having the same problem. My wrench is a mulit-use similar to the DPMS. I've been looking around town for a hook style spanner wrench but nobody has one. I might have to make one...*groan* :rolleyes:

Again I would suggest the RRA castle nut wrench. It locks into 3 slots on the castle nut, and I have never had an issue with it slipping off. Ive installed a few ASAP's using this wrench and not an issue at all. Due to the design of the ASAP you cannot make a full rotation with it but its enough to get the job done correctly. Then a simple stake job, and nothing is going anywhere.

Iraqgunz
11-08-09, 20:44
I recently purchased a Brownells wrench and I like it. The teeth fit in the notches of the castle nut really good, and it is a solid piece.

mkmckinley
11-08-09, 21:18
I just used the $7 wrench that rainier arms sells for that exact thing. It worked fine. I can't imagine spending more for such a wrench, it's not something that needs to be high end or complicated.

seb5
11-08-09, 21:49
I just used the $7 wrench that rainier arms sells for that exact thing. It worked fine. I can't imagine spending more for such a wrench, it's not something that needs to be high end or complicated.

You're probably right when referring to installation but not when we start talking about removal when the original installer staked it for life or put enough loc tite on to secure 10 castle nuts.

mkmckinley
11-08-09, 22:50
Ah good point, I stand corrected

halo2304
11-09-09, 12:20
I was talking to a guy I work with about this issue. He suggested the idea of cutting the third tooth off the wrench. Not a bad idea, but I'd rather not destroy a tool if I don't have to. Best case senario, it works like a charm, worst case, it doesn't work at all and I have a broken tool and a still loose castle nut.

I've found a couple of hook or pin style spanner wrenches on Mcmaster Carr that would work. They range from $16-$20. Not too bad concidering. I'd still try making my own first though. Sometimes I can be pretty smuckin' fahht (said with a Maine accent!) A hole saw that will leave a 1 3/8" diameter hole, 1/8" drill, 1/8" aluminum plate... It could work!

Or I could just say "...to hell with it!" and buy a spanner wrench, use it and then pass it around like a joint at a Phish concert! :D

Bushmaster-M4A3
11-09-09, 12:33
I have both the DPMS "multipurpose" wrench and RRA stock wrench, the RRA works better because of the 3 teeth on it lock onto castle nut better. Other than that though, I like DPMS because it gives better leverage. I wish DPMS had built 3 teeth into the wrench.

Also a problem is not necessarily the wrench. Castle nuts are not all the same, some have slight more or less width or have different spacing. So sometimes the wrench just doesn't work well.

Apollo11
11-09-09, 17:37
I have both the DPMS "multipurpose" wrench and RRA stock wrench, the RRA works better because of the 3 teeth on it lock onto castle nut better. Other than that though, I like DPMS because it gives better leverage. I wish DPMS had built 3 teeth into the wrench.

Also a problem is not necessarily the wrench. Castle nuts are not all the same, some have slight more or less width or have different spacing. So sometimes the wrench just doesn't work well.

You are correct, the RRA does lock in better; however, the ASAP plate stops the RRA from locking into the nut with all three teeth.

Fireglock
11-09-09, 22:51
You are correct, the RRA does lock in better; however, the ASAP plate stops the RRA from locking into the nut with all three teeth.

Really? I've used the RRA wrench to install two ASAPs, all three teeth engaged for me.

CoryCop25
11-10-09, 01:28
I have the Spike's Tactical wrench. HANDS DOWN the best wrench ever!