PDA

View Full Version : Just Inherited Some Guns

johnson601
09-30-09, 00:47
I just inherited several guns from my grandfather and I was wondering if anyone knew about a Winchester Model 64 lever action? I don't know anything about lever action rifles and any info would be helpful ie; Is it a good gun? Worth anything? Also there is a Harrington & Richardson 10ga that appears to be very old. I know this is probably not the place but I don't like any other forums so thanks in advance.

bkb0000
09-30-09, 02:12
call winchester with the serial number to find out when yours was manufactured, then google for cowboy gun forums to get an idea of it's worth.

Oscar 319
09-30-09, 06:04
The Winchester Model 64 is a gem. Winchester manufactured them from the 30's-50's and made short run of them in the 70's.

Most had the full length 24" rifle barrel marked .30 WCF (Winchester Centerfire), which is 30/30 Win. Some 20" models were also made.

My very first Christmas gift from my Grandfather was a restored 24" Model 64 with my intials engraved in the reciever. To this day, it is still my deer rifle, open sights and all. I love it.

Since it is from your Gramps, I would recommend cleaning up the gun and NOT selling it. Keep it in the family. Go out and shoot it. They are fun guns and great shooters.

Artos
09-30-09, 07:28
You can check out your mod 64 birthdate and for other Winchester's s/n here:

http://armscollectors.com/sn/windates.htm

It's pretty tough to beat any of the pre-64 Winnie's. Some of the best long guns ever made for the shooter.

johnson601
10-01-09, 00:56
The 64 is really cool, I only collect military style weapons so the lever actions are new to me. I have no intentions of selling it, the gun has my great grandfathers initials inlaid in ivory on the stock and the gun is in almost perfect condition. I plan on giving it to my children one day.

Mac5.56
10-01-09, 08:58
Glad you are not thinking about selling it, it would be a shame to watch a gun like that leave the family.

As for only collecting military rifles, I think you will find that the lever action 30-30 has a rich history regarding it's military involvement...;)

This reminds me, I just learned the the Warsaw Ghetto revolt, as well as the Warsaw undeground later in the war, both employed the 30-30.

Georgie Boy
10-02-09, 00:08
Winchester 64s are deffinately great rifles, and like old Browning Autos, some are great collectibles and some are great shooters. It all comes down to condition. You said it was already in great condition, so just take care of it, keep it clean, and please please do NOT have it refinished. You have it reblued, refinish the stock, replace the butt-plate, etc... and it becomes a great shooter with MAYBE half the monetary value of a collectable. I've been working in a gun shop for the last bunch of years and have taken in a number of these and have, more than once, seen dissapointment and confusion on people's faces after telling them this. All in all... congrats on the new (for you) gun.

As for the 10ga H&R... it's a shooter that'll give you snot bubbles. As for age, I've seen many of em 3-4 years old that appeared 30-40 by pure sight, so you can't really tell. Also, they are not really collectible so finding out for sure is gonna be tough. I believe they are still making them as a waterfowl gun.

thedog
10-02-09, 01:07
Guns? Two? Anything else? My heart feels for the loss of your Grandpa. But, any other guns?

God bless and comfort you and yours.

dog:(