PDA

View Full Version : BCM Upper Help

palmbeach31
09-30-09, 08:44
I'm trying to build my first AR and I recently received a BCM mid-length upper to put on my Smith & Wesson M&P lower. Unfortunately the BCM upper is quite a bit darker than my M&P lower. The BCM upper is a shiny dark black while my M&P lower looks more grayish when compared to the upper. I don't really like the look of these two together. Is there a way around this? Can I darken the lower? I haven't oiled the lower at all yet so I don't know if that would make a difference. Or do I just need to buy a different lower for it to match better? If so, do you know of any brands that match BCM uppers in color? Thanks for your help in advance!

Alex V
09-30-09, 08:45
BCM does make lowers.

I would assume they are a close color match to their uppers. Or at least I would hope they are.

ra2bach
09-30-09, 08:46
Krylon?

bnanaphone
09-30-09, 08:51
The BCM upper and lower are pretty close in color. That way you can keep the S&W lower for your next build!

Rider79
09-30-09, 08:55
Wipe some of the excess oil off of the BCM upper, this should bring it closer to the S&W lower, this helped with my BCM upper/LMT upper combos. Otherwise, who cares? Just shoot it, the wear will make them match eventually.

C4IGrant
09-30-09, 09:06
I'm trying to build my first AR and I recently received a BCM mid-length upper to put on my Smith & Wesson M&P lower. Unfortunately the BCM upper is quite a bit darker than my M&P lower. The BCM upper is a shiny dark black while my M&P lower looks more grayish when compared to the upper. I don't really like the look of these two together. Is there a way around this? Can I darken the lower? I haven't oiled the lower at all yet so I don't know if that would make a difference. Or do I just need to buy a different lower for it to match better? If so, do you know of any brands that match BCM uppers in color? Thanks for your help in advance!

Buy a different lower or paint both of them.

How bout buying a BCM lower??

C4

cathellsk
09-30-09, 11:01
Back in the mid to late '90s my unit at the time in the Army got brand new FN M16A2s. The uppers/lowers on those did not match. It looked weird at first but it didn't really matter what we thought, they weren't going back because of it.
I agree with the advice thats been given. Try a BCM lower if you can.

Bill Bryant
09-30-09, 11:11
It the lower is bone dry and the upper is covered with oil, try covering the lower with some oil and see if the color matches better.

When I got my Stag lower, it was dry and grayish. When I wiped it down with CorrosionX, the gray went away and stayed away.

09-30-09, 11:25
As long as it functions.....

JackOSU
09-30-09, 11:36
As long as it functions.....

BINGO!

We have a winner!! :D

Iraqgunz
09-30-09, 12:59
Sigh.....

mvician
09-30-09, 13:10
Sigh.....

I know, this is the third forum I've read this question on.

I haven't oiled the lower at all yet

rub it down with CLP and forget about it.

Bill Bryant
09-30-09, 13:13
Sigh.....I don't expect everybody to have the same motivations for owning an AR as I have, and I don't expect everybody to care about the same aspects of ownship that I care about. Some people buy knives to put in collections under glass. Some buy them for an upcoming trek across the Amazon. God bless them all. Same with ARs IMHO. Some buy them to kill Taliban, some as an investment, some as a cool mechanism with testosterone oozing from the pins, some to shoot coyotes, some as an anti-statist 2nd Amendment protest. God bless us all!

palmbeach31
09-30-09, 16:42
Thanks to those who gave suggestions, you were very helpful, I appreciate it. Sorry to those who find this thread redundant or unimportant.

lmmmmm
09-30-09, 16:48
BCM's are excessively shiny because they are well oiled. Wipe it down and post the results.

Safetyhit
09-30-09, 19:09
Wipe it down and post the results.

Either that or just don't fret over it. The functionality is what matters most, and it sounds like you are good with the BCM (maybe just keep an eye on that S&W).

Quentin
09-30-09, 21:03
Boy, the BCM uppers must be deep black if they make S&W look light. My build started on a S&W M&P lower and it's plenty black. After getting the LPK in I heavily oiled the whole thing and it does look even better now though.

ThirdWatcher
10-01-09, 00:29
How bout buying a BCM lower??

C4

My BCM lower matches my BCM upper perfectly. :)

palmbeach31
10-05-09, 10:55
Once I wiped down the upper and oiled up the lower they seem to match pretty well now. Thanks all for the help. I will try and post pics when I finish the build.

Julius Carbinius
10-05-09, 15:53
My BCM lower matches my BCM upper perfectly. :)

Out of curiosity, I looked closely at my BCM upper and lower in bright indoor light and did notice there is a distinct difference in the color between the two. The upper has a very deep black "satin" finish to it, even dry. The lower has a very subtle lighter black with a hint of purple and is more dull or flat than the "satin" look of the upper.

That being said, had I not put my BCM under close scrutiny in bright lighting I would not have noticed nor would I have cared. :D

CGoodwin
10-05-09, 16:21
My S&W is a very matte finish. Somewhat gray as well. I was thinking of using the lower for my SBR project with a BCM 11.5". I can relate to the OP's concern.

Oiling the lower DOES help with the color matching. Hopefully they will both dry and look similar. Nothing like carrying an oily rifle through the corn fields looking for the "elusive and dangerous" South Texas feral hog!

SWATcop556
10-05-09, 20:23
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=38944

Round and round and round we go.......................:cool:

Iraqgunz
10-05-09, 20:59
I think this has been discussed here and other places enough. The point has been made. If anyone has an issue with it then send me a PM.