PDA

View Full Version : LaRue Tactical B.U.I.S. QD LT-103?

Sid Post
02-18-07, 12:52
I have an Alexander Arms Tactical-16 upper without a carry handle. I want to mount an optic on it but, right now I am looking for a good back up sight.

I really like LaRue Tactical stuff and I was pleasantly surprised to see the LaRue Tactical B.U.I.S. QD LT-103 (http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=29) on their website. I don't understand the "Same-Plane Aperture" option and I am assuming the A-2 is what I would want since it would work with the factory front sight.

I am leaning towards an LT Cantilever mount with an AimPoint so, I need something compatible with the setup. I also think I would elminate the factory front sight and install a folding front sight. Does this effect the choice of the aperture? I have a LaRue 12.0 rail which isn't installed so, maybe I'm better off sending the whole thing off to someone to get it properly installed but, the rail installation seems pretty straight forward so I may just wait for a good weekend to do that installation.

So with all this rambling I guess my options are:
1) Install the LT rail, a low profile gas block, a new front and rear sight, and then the AimPoint setup at some point in the future.
2) Cheap out and just get a folding sight compatible with the factory front sight and worry about the AimPoint and front sight interferring with each other later.
3) Send it off to someone who knows what they are doing and enjoy it all when it returns to me!

As a side note: Is replacing the front sight gas block that hard? Do I need to worry about the gas tube (it isn't pinned in or something is it)? Do I need to worry about mating the barrel gas port to the new gas block or, do they self align some how (the low profile blocks seem to use set screws)?

Thanks!
Sid

Robb Jensen
02-18-07, 13:02
Same plane means that the centers of the large and small aperature are the same and won't shift your POI from one to the other. On a standard A2 aperature the two aperatures aren't on the same plane.

Either will work with a factory front sight.

nyeti
02-18-07, 13:39
My normal patrol rifle is set up with an Aimpoint in a LaRue ring, the LaRUe QD BUIS with same plane aperature and a fixed front sight. For a hard use, everyday set up it works very well. The iron sights remain in the lower third of the Aimpoint when looking through it. If your optic fails, the battery goes dead, or more likely-you forget to turn it on, you still have your irons available to you without touching a thing. THis is a nice option when Mr. Murphy wants to get involved.

Sid Post
02-18-07, 14:05
Thanks, it sounds like it's time to order the LaRue BUIS! That will get me shooting in no time and, it will do me good to build some skills first using the Back-Up sights first.