PDA

View Full Version : 511/V-TAC single point sling observations.

BLACK LION
09-30-09, 16:36
I swear I kept getting an error message when I tried to look this up in the search feature so I apologize in advance if this has been hashed out before.

I recently swapped over to a single point sling for a few reasons that I dont need to go into. V-TACs' came highly recomended and I had a few opportunitys to fiddle with one before buying it.
I purchased the sling and immediately grew fond of how smoothly it let me manipulate and transition my rig.
It also came with extra attachments for added versatility, which I was able to fashion an amidextrious sling attachment point to my ace arfx stock.
I am apprehensive about the "bungee" becuase I feel there is too much stretch in it that allows the rig to hang a bit more than I would like...Of course with all my gear on it doesnt hang quite as much but I do see a need for some sort of "wepons catch" since it will be my one and only sling for this rig and I need a way to secure the rig in case I need both hands or if I have a long hike ahead.
The bungee does have its merits as it allows me to work around my gear without a rigid sling interfering.

I love the quck detach feature and used it several times for certain drills and what not... It is IMHO the best qd I have come across... BUT... It has a weak point which is minute but it can make or break the whole piece of gear.
Infact, this is the very reason I started this thread. I want to share my observations of the sling and likewise share a weak point that can cause the sling to fail.

Here goes...

On the "QD" feature there is a weak point which is the key ring attached to the disconnect cord and the detent that locks and unlocks the "QD" feature. I had been out training with it a couple times and I had been practicing with it in my home for a couple weeks so the QD had been used a number of times.
One night I had to disconnect my rig to do something in my kitchen(funny right)...I pulled the disconnect cord and PIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!! Parts ricochet all over my kitchen and the detent ends up next to a burner under the top sover on the stove?? I looked down and quickly found the disconnect cord attached to a fubar key ring... It was immediately apparent that the fubar "key ring" still barely attached to the cord was the problem... It had been pulled enough to stretch it out, which allowed it to twist itself out of the small hole on the detent and send the detent flying since it was under the tension of a spring.
That cheapo key ring holds the whole QD feature in its hands.It threads through the detent and secures it in its hole under the tension of a spring... This allows you to pull the cord to disconnect and also connect the sling by snapping into place in the tiny "swing arm"... I am sure most of you are aware of this QD feature and how it operates since the MS2 has pretty much the same thing...I apologize if I am not exlplaining this right.

I contacted 511 and they displayed the epitome of customer service. They also allowed me to keep my broken sling and replaced it completely with a new one since there is no way to detach the QD unit from the nylon on the sling without cutting it off.
They also took note of the issue and assured they would forward it to the appropriate parties for review.
I now have my new sling and I am adimately looking for a sturdier metal ring to use in place of the key ring.

Take care guys...

GLOCKMASTER
09-30-09, 19:36
I swear I kept getting an error message when I tried to look this up in the search feature so I apologize in advance if this has been hashed out before.

I recently swapped over to a single point sling for a few reasons that I dont need to go into. V-TACs' came highly recomended and I had a few opportunitys to fiddle with one before buying it.
I purchased the sling and immediately grew fond of how smoothly it let me manipulate and transition my rig.
It also came with extra attachments for added versatility, which I was able to fashion an amidextrious sling attachment point to my ace arfx stock.
I am apprehensive about the "bungee" becuase I feel there is too much stretch in it that allows the rig to hang a bit more than I would like...Of course with all my gear on it doesnt hang quite as much but I do see a need for some sort of "wepons catch" since it will be my one and only sling for this rig and I need a way to secure the rig in case I need both hands or if I have a long hike ahead.
The bungee does have its merits as it allows me to work around my gear without a rigid sling interfering.

I love the quck detach feature and used it several times for certain drills and what not... It is IMHO the best qd I have come across... BUT... It has a weak point which is minute but it can make or break the whole piece of gear.
Infact, this is the very reason I started this thread. I want to share my observations of the sling and likewise share a weak point that can cause the sling to fail.

Here goes...

On the "QD" feature there is a weak point which is the key ring attached to the disconnect cord and the detent that locks and unlocks the "QD" feature. I had been out training with it a couple times and I had been practicing with it in my home for a couple weeks so the QD had been used a number of times.
One night I had to disconnect my rig to do something in my kitchen(funny right)...I pulled the disconnect cord and PIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!! Parts ricochet all over my kitchen and the detent ends up next to a burner under the top sover on the stove?? I looked down and quickly found the disconnect cord attached to a fubar key ring... It was immediately apparent that the fubar "key ring" still barely attached to the cord was the problem... It had been pulled enough to stretch it out, which allowed it to twist itself out of the small hole on the detent and send the detent flying since it was under the tension of a spring.
That cheapo key ring holds the whole QD feature in its hands.It threads through the detent and secures it in its hole under the tension of a spring... This allows you to pull the cord to disconnect and also connect the sling by snapping into place in the tiny "swing arm"... I am sure most of you are aware of this QD feature and how it operates since the MS2 has pretty much the same thing...I apologize if I am not exlplaining this right.

I contacted 511 and they displayed the epitome of customer service. They also allowed me to keep my broken sling and replaced it completely with a new one since there is no way to detach the QD unit from the nylon on the sling without cutting it off.
They also took note of the issue and assured they would forward it to the appropriate parties for review.
I now have my new sling and I am adimately looking for a sturdier metal ring to use in place of the key ring.

Take care guys...

The 511 version is not a good representative of the qualities of the VTAC Sling. The USA manufactured VTAC is a much better sling because they use better materials and quality control.

BLACK LION
10-01-09, 12:36
You are right...and I had no idea.
V-TAC doesnt even make a single point sling since "Kyle himself doesnt care for them"...

BUT, when approached by 511 about a single point sling he designed it how he would want it IF he were to use one... hence the sling being endorsed by V-TAC and offered by 511...
It is made overseas whereas actual VTAC sling are made right here and are full berry compliant.

Dont get me wrong... 511 stuff is great and I will by SOME things from them still but I am selling one of these slings for an actual VTAC 2point sling...

I appreciate you bringing that to my attention JF...since this was my first 511 purchase, I had no idea...