PDA

View Full Version : How to store sugar?

Sudden
09-30-09, 21:37
Can anyone tell me how to store sugar. I have a couple of 25lb bags. Should I transfer it to mylar bags?

TIA

K.L. Davis
09-30-09, 22:43
From elsewhere in this forum...

IMHO, all dry food should get the same process for long term storage... infestation can destroy your food stores, you should protect your food from all critters, weevils, rodents and democrats.

You will want to repackage a lot of stuff, especially things that come in boxes or thin plastic bags...

*cut the preparation instructions and nutrition label from the boxed foods, vacuum seal the contents and tape the instructions to the bag.

*Divide up large bulk packages into smaller packages; think "per meal sizes" and vacuum pack that way - you can even mix stuff now, rather than later... some rice, beans and dried veggies, a little spice all vacuum sealed in one bag and measured out to feed a certain number of people.

*Vacuum sealed bags of rice, grains, flour and pasta should be frozen for 72 hours to kill eggs that are in the grain... anything that you freeze needs to be in an airtight container to keep moisture from getting to it when it is thawed.

*Plastic buckets are great for storing bags of food... pre-pack them to feed a number of people for a certain amount of time; example: one five gallon bucket has meals, snacks and supplements to support two people for one week. Make sure you are using food grade buckets, or know for sure what was in the bucket before you got it! Square buckets make better use of storage space than round ones.

*Buckets can be purged before sealing by putting a small piece of dry ice wrapped in paper in the bottom of the bucket and then packing the food bags on top of the dry ice... set the lid on loosely and wait an hour or so before sealing it - do not lift the lid, just press it in place, the CO2 from the thawing dry ice will purge a lot of air from the bucket... you can also add some Bay Leaves to the bucket or food bags, and some folks like to "powder" the contents of storage buckets with diatomaceous earth, if you do this, make sure you are not using the stuff you buy for swimming pool filters - get food grade DE.

Sugar will store for a VERY long time, the key thing is to keep it dry!

PA PATRIOT
10-01-09, 10:55
Don't forget about honey, properly prepared honey will last for years and can replace sugar in most cooking recipes. My grandfather had several Hives back on the farm and those busy bee's kept the family well supplied for years.

Sudden
10-01-09, 11:06
Thanks for the info.

blade_68
10-09-09, 02:55
I've had sugar stored in glass for over 10 years just have to brake loose with a spoon and use... glass storage for counter. honey has been stored for "1000s" of years and still useable just heat up to melt. got some thats been stored for over 10 years too... to many deployments;) store in cool dry location and out of sun light for best IE: old times root celler

CDDM416
10-10-09, 11:00
what i did was get a 5gl bucket from lowes, i have mylar bags that are for 5gl buckets, i put the bag in the bucket and opened it up to fit.

i poured about half a bag 25# in, then i kinda pulled up and dropped it back down, that way the sugar will flatten the bag out, after it was full, i zipped the bag most of the way.
i left it open enough so i could put the end of a vacuum hose in it, i held the top away from the sugar as to not suck it up, when i thought i got most off the air out, i pulled the hose out quickly and sealed it all the way, popped the lid on, and labled and dated it..

HES
10-10-09, 23:32
*Buckets can be purged before sealing by putting a small piece of dry ice wrapped...
Any idea dimension / weight wise as to what a small piece is?

oregonshooter
10-11-09, 00:58
Don't use O2 absorbers / dry ice / etc. on sugar, it will harden it and make it clump. (that is according to my Mormon friend who has been at this a lot longer than most.)

Just store it in a mylar bag in a paint can or unit of your choice.

K.L. Davis
10-12-09, 16:24
To clarify... the sugar should be in vacuum sealed bags, stored inside of plastic buckets; these can be purged with dry ice without issue.

A piece about the size a regular ice cube sounds like way more than enough; but that could be wrong.