PDA

View Full Version : Terminal Ballistic bibliography

Augusto
10-01-09, 07:16
I´m looking for books on this subject.
I did a search at amazon bookstore and found a few, but I would like to know which are reference in this field.
Sugestions welcome

Thanks

Burt Gummer
10-01-09, 08:02
Not sure if this is exactly what you have in mind, but here is some literature recommended in the past:

Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness (pdf) (http://www.firearmstactical.com/hwfe.htm)

Bullet Penetration: Modeling the Dynamics and the Incapacitation Resulting from Wound Trauma by Duncan MacPherson (http://www.firearmstactical.com/bulletpenetration.htm)

Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques by Vincent J.M. DiMaio M.D. (http://www.amazon.com/Gunshot-Wounds-Ballistics-Techniques-Investigations/dp/0849381630/ref=sr_oe_3_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1254400984&sr=1-3)

Augusto
10-01-09, 08:40
Thank you, this is exactly what I want.
I read these two books, they are excellent.
I´m looking now for more references.

Augusto.

Wayne Dobbs
10-01-09, 10:32
If the stars and planets would ever line up, we would have a complete reprint of all volumes of the Wound Ballistic Review of the IWBA. I have the full set and the contents are pure gold from both the academic integrity standpoint and the information contained.

Augusto
10-01-09, 14:01
Great news!
How can I pre order it?????:D

Wayne Dobbs
10-01-09, 18:29
It's not great news because it's unlikely to happen. Dr. Fackler has made no moves to allow a reprint.

Odd Job
10-02-09, 16:48
"Terminal Ballistics" by Malcolm Dodd is well worth a read:

http://books.google.com/books?id=JpwNhdcT6xAC&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&dq=terminal+ballistics+malcolm+dodd&source=bl&ots=tnBM-lpahy&sig=6NV3Wn138jCrSjpq54Ity13h-I8&hl=en&ei=5XHGSv-TA86y4Qbi_7jHAQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

The DiMaio book is good also, as previously mentioned.

Augusto
10-18-09, 10:35
What about this DVD?

http://www.trueballistics.com/

Someone knows it?

Augusto
10-20-09, 09:08
Thanks, I´ll order one.
This is other DVD that looks very interesting but is also expensive:
http://www.projectile.com/fp.html

Augusto
10-28-09, 06:29
Where I find the Wound Ballistic Reviews of the IWBA?

Glock17JHP
10-29-09, 15:25
Basically, you won't...

Those of us that have them (WBR journals) do not want to wear them out trying to print or scan them. Besides, Fackler needs to allow it if it is to be duplicated and passed around.

As the founder of the IWBA, he owns the rights to the WBR...

MK108
10-30-09, 10:56
Sirs,

a book I received only 2 days ago....I just started to read it but it looks really promising....for people interested about the factors that influenced the effectiveness of pistol bullets against humans....and a critical analysis of previous methods utilized to rank such effectiveness by various authors...

its title is:

"Handgun bullet stopping power: beyond the hyperbole of cartridge advocacy"

written by Mr. George B. Bredsten

...who, if I am right, is the author of some articles published on WBR...

All the best
Andrea

Augusto
11-03-09, 05:03
I received this book a few months ago. At first sight it didn´t look so promising...the autor despises MacPherson´s work for example.
But I will look again.

I just ordered LA LESIONI D ARMA DA FUOCO NELLA PRATICA MEDICO LEGALE E BALISTICA , FRANCO ALBERTON and GIUSEPPE MONTALBANO.

Do you know it?

opksrj
11-03-09, 15:54
haven't checked that one out yet

MK108
11-04-09, 01:45
I received this book a few months ago. At first sight it didn´t look so promising...the autor despises MacPherson´s work for example.
But I will look again.

Augusto,

...Mr. Bredsten tells to the readers simply that the McPherson method can be difficult to understand for people not well versed in mathematics...if my memory is right he uses the term "esoteric" for the Mr. McPherson's method....if the author despises Mr. McPherson book it can be difficult for me to understand why he suggests this book (..and other books..) for people really interested in the matter....in fact as you can see in the references at the end of the book some titles are written in bold characters...one of these is the book of Mr. McPherson, imho...

I just ordered LA LESIONI D ARMA DA FUOCO NELLA PRATICA MEDICO LEGALE E BALISTICA , FRANCO ALBERTON and GIUSEPPE MONTALBANO.

Do you know it?

Yes,

...it's an old book(..mid 80's..)....I have a copy from a long time....it's a quite interesting book from a forensics point of view...a bit less interesting from the point of view of the wound ballistic mechanics...

All the best
Andrea

P.S.: do you read italian?

Augusto
11-04-09, 05:32
Thanks for your response.

I think I didn´t see the references in the end. Read only the first pages...I´ll have to look again.

I don´t read italian but I hope some words are similar to portuguese :D

In fact I´m trying to get everything I can about wound ballistic. There are a few titles in spanish also. I´m thinking even about buying Kneubuehl most recent book, in german. It will be harder to read...but maybe Dave have some more input about this book that could help me.

MK108
11-05-09, 02:54
I don´t read italian but I hope some words are similar to portuguese :D

Augusto,

if you need I can help you with the italian...the only real problem is my very bad english!

All the best
Andrea

Augusto
11-05-09, 08:59
Thanks!

iceman0085
11-11-09, 07:58
That's an very informativ tread. I am also intersted in this field and I will check out the books you have mentioned. Thanks for sharing the information.:)

Augusto
02-02-10, 07:45
Anyone knows this video?

Inside a Gunshot Victim
http://ffh.films.com/id/15595/Inside_a_Gunshot_Victim.html

Glock17JHP
02-02-10, 10:42
Based just on comments like these in the advertisement, I wonder if the video is biased toward an anti-gun mindset:

"The program also uses ballistics data, high-speed photography, and wound photos to graphically illustrate the effects of a variety of firearms—and to underscore the senselessness of carrying a gun just to be “cool.” An excellent emergency medicine case study, Inside a Gunshot Victim also has definite value as an aid in deterring youth violence."

:confused:

Augusto
02-02-10, 13:22
Yes, it´s strange. But maybe it´s only the seller´s view...

Odd Job
02-02-10, 13:29
I have seen it, it has been aired twice here in England. It is not worth buying, and is likely not to be of any interest to the type of people who frequent this forum.

Augusto
03-30-10, 12:18
What about this book? Anyone already read it?
Forensic Pathology Reviews Volume 5

http://www.springerlink.com/content/p03lmhr528v72005/

Augusto
03-03-11, 09:06
This book will be released on March 17:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0801898560/ref=pe_5050_19000850_snp_dp

Product description says: " Denny's lesson ends with a Thud! -- an explanation of terminal ballistics."

I´m just curious about.

Glock17JHP
03-03-11, 13:25
Augusto,

I looked at the Table of Contents for the 1st book you listed, and there is only one chapter (9) that appears to deal with wound ballistics.

I was unable to delve further without either a membership or buying the books.

I would want to see a review on them from a trusted source, there is too much 'bad' information out there.

Jake'sDad
03-05-11, 15:13
If the stars and planets would ever line up, we would have a complete reprint of all volumes of the Wound Ballistic Review of the IWBA. I have the full set and the contents are pure gold from both the academic integrity standpoint and the information contained.

Basically, you won't...

Those of us that have them (WBR journals) do not want to wear them out trying to print or scan them. Besides, Fackler needs to allow it if it is to be duplicated and passed around.

As the founder of the IWBA, he owns the rights to the WBR...

It's really a shame that it's not out for sale to at least qualified personnel. There's a ton of really good work in there, that is still very relevant, (some by folks that aren't even with us any more), that a whole new generation of cops in decision making positions haven't even seen. I know at my old agency, the guys in charge don't have them, the guy that did, is long gone now.

Glock17JHP
03-05-11, 19:09
Agree... I have all of the WBR issues, but I don't want to wear them out opening and closing them over and over. I wish I had a .PDF version, or whatever... that way I could use the data without putting wear-and-tear on the originals.

I would be even more irritated if I didn't even have the hardcopies.

Glock17JHP
03-08-11, 20:08
Augusto,

In reference to the book at this web address: http://www.springerlink.com/content/p03lmhr528v72005/

Thank you for sending me the .PDF of Chapter 9, Forensic Ballistics, by Bernd Karger. The 9th chapter is about 30 pages long, if you include the nearly 3 pages of references.

I began reading it today, and only got through the Abstract, which was just over 1 page long. Several things gave me a 'red light', including the sentence at the bottom of page 139 that said (in RED): "The special wound ballistics of the head including indirect ("remote") injuries in the brain and skull are discussed." There were several other subjects mentioned that were problematic, even for someone like me who is not a professional. Subjects mentioned in the Abstract that seemed problematic in some way include: incapacitation, physiological vs. psychological effects, targets of rapid incapacitation, and intermediate target materials.

I stopped reading after the Abstract because I felt it was a waste of my time to go any further.

Following is the Abstract 'copied and pasted'...

Abstract Forensic ballistics is the application of ballistics for forensic purposes. The basis is formed by wound ballistics. Two main mechanisms of injury are differentiated: the crush-mechanism resulting in the permanent cavity and the stretch-mechanism resulting in the temporary cavity. The missile-tissue interactions such as yawing, deformation, fragmentation, and bone contact are explained here and it is shown why the energy deposit or the missile velocity are not the sole or primary factors in determining the severity of a wound. The special wound ballistics of the head including indirect (‘‘remote’’) injuries in the brain and skull are discussed. Incapacitation is a necessarily occuring inability to perform complex movements and is therefore based on physiological effects independent of psychological mechanisms such as pain or surprise. Immediate incapacitation can only be caused by direct disruption of brain tissue and thus by penetrating gunshots to the head. Ballistic parameters and intracranial trajectories where sustained capability to act is possible are discussed. Rapid incapacitation is produced by massive blood loss via acute cerebral hypoxemia and subsequent unconsciousness. Targets of rapid incapacitation are the heart, aorta, and the truncus of the pulmonary artery. In cases of considerable ballistic injury to the lungs, liver, kidneys, spleen, large arteries or central veins, the latent period until incapacitation will be in the range of one or several minutes (delayed incapacitation). This potential for physical activity is not always exhausted due to psychological factors. Backspatter is biological material propelled retrogradely out of the entrance wound towards the firearm/the hand of the person shooting. Blood and tissue particles are accelerated by the subcutaneous gas effect, temporary cavitation, and tail splashing. Backspatter therefore is common in closerange gunshots to the head where blood and tissue can travel for several meters. The number of bloodstains can vary greatly and the stains are located in a semicircle of almost 1808 in front of the entrance wound. Characteristic for backspatter are small or tiny droplet or splashing stains with the elongated shapes roughly aiming at the entrance wound. Magnification and appropriate lightning are necessary for investigating backspatter. DNA-analysis of stains can establish a clear link between a person or object and a clearly defined gunshot. Contact of a bullet with an intermediate target can alter the trajectory and stability of the bullet. Contact with fragile materials such as concrete, glass, asphalt, or gypsum-board regularly results in abundant deposits on the bullet, which can be visualized by SEM (scanning electron microscopy) and determined by X-ray microanalysis. Ductile materials such as wood and car body parts only transfer scarce deposits to the bullet which can be indicative of the intermediate target. This important trace evidence is not eliminated by subsequent perforation of tissue. Individualisation of deposits on FMJ bullets after perforation of a human body can be successfully carried out by PCR-typing of STRs and mitochondrial DNA. In cases of gunfights, this makes it possible to determine who was killed or injured by which bullet. The person shooting can be identified by additional comparison of rifling marks. Cellular material is recovered by swabbing the bullet, which should be protected against contamination and loss of material.

Augusto
03-10-11, 11:57
I had exactly the same first impression when I read the abstract. But these "remote injuries" have no relationship with what you're thinking, don't worry.

This part about wound ballistics of the head sometimes appears in google books on page 150:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_qO9S3EO7FMC&pg=PA139&dq=Bernd+karger&hl=pt-BR&ei=woLxTLrbGcL-8AaZhuHlDA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=book-thumbnail&resnum=2&ved=0CDIQ6wEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Bernd%20karger&f=false

Basically he says that the rigid skull acts as a non-yielding wall. Because brain tissue is almost incompressible, intracranial temporary cavitation and surrounding overpressure meet counter-pressure from the skull. And analogous to blunt trauma, enhanced compression can result in contusion of brain tissue discernible as (cortical) contusion zones in superficial layers of the brain remote from the trajectory of the projectile.

Augusto
03-10-11, 12:01
BTW, google books would be a nice place to WBR issues.

Glock17JHP
03-10-11, 13:17
When I saw "remote" injuries... I immediately thought about Michael "BPW" Courtney.

MK108
05-13-11, 08:03
This book will be released on March 17:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0801898560/ref=pe_5050_19000850_snp_dp

Product description says: " Denny's lesson ends with a Thud! -- an explanation of terminal ballistics."

I´m just curious about.

Augusto,

the book arrived in my home two days ago and I 've read the first two chapters....while it's really interesting and I enjoy to read it there are some errors and/or odd statements in these first chapters, imho...

some examples...

...the author wrote that the brisance of an explosive is the rate at which it generates gas...it's an odd statement while not an error...usually the definition of brisance refers to the shattering effects of an explosive...it depends on its detonation pressure...the detonation pressure depends on the detonation velocity...and the detonation velocity is the velocity of the shock front...so the larger the brisance...the larger the rate of gas generation...

...he wrote that the french Chassepot and the prussian Dreyse rifles were repeating rifles...unfortunately both rifles used paper cartridges and they were bolt actions but they did not have any magazine...after every shot the shooters need to rotate and retract the bolts and put a live paper cartridge in the chamber by hand...

http://youtu.be/xScjkrcaAcc
http://youtu.be/Gl_inWJB4oE

...the recoil energy is not the energy left in the propellent gases after the bullet had left the barrel...

...the semiautomatic pistol was not invented by Hugo Schmeisser in 1916...the first successfull semiauto was invented by Hugo Borchardt in 1893 (...and I guess that someone else invented or designed unsuccessful semiauto pistols before him...)...

...the assault rifle was never chambered for pistol cartridges...it follows simply by the assault rifle definition...

...the recoilless rifle wasn't developed in 1963...in mid 43 americans had the first recoilless rifle for lab tests...and in march 45 the US Army received their first recoilless rifles batch to use against germans in Europe...

http://www.ww2incolor.com/us-army/weapon_m18_3.html

All the best
Andrea

Odd Job
05-13-11, 12:44
You don't mess with Andrea!

Glock17JHP
05-13-11, 13:30
True... so true!!!

Augusto
05-13-11, 15:13
Yes Andrea, I received it too.
Not to mention the errors in the terminal ballistics section.....I was ashamed to tell here...:bad:

MK108
05-19-11, 10:16
Sirs,

it's a really good book, imho...apart some errors (..but you can find errors almost in every book!..) the author explained in a very simple way lot of things usually quite hard to understand (..at least for me!)...and about a quarter of a century after the explanation of the Magnus effect by my teachers now I know they were wrong!

All the best
Andrea

Augusto
07-05-11, 06:42
Kneubuehl´s book is now in english:

http://www.springer.com/medicine/forensic/book/978-3-642-20355-8?cm_mmc=NBA-_-Jun-11_EAST_8243307-_-product-_-978-3-642-20355-8

Not very cheap....

MK108
07-21-11, 09:39
Kneubuehl´s book is now in english:

http://www.springer.com/medicine/forensic/book/978-3-642-20355-8?cm_mmc=NBA-_-Jun-11_EAST_8243307-_-product-_-978-3-642-20355-8

Not very cheap....

The book is very interesting....about the effectiveness of bullets...it seems to be a bit "energy oriented"...

All the best
Andrea

Augusto
02-23-13, 18:48
I'm looking for the book Evaluation and Measurement of Trauma, Normam E. McSwain, Jr. e Morris D. Kernstein, editors. It was quoted in McPherson's book Bullet Penetration as good source for information about trauma relating to ballistic impact.

Didnt't find it at amazon or google. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Odd Job
02-24-13, 05:16
Email Dr McSwain directly and ask him where you can get it:

norman.mcswain@tulane.edu

Augusto
02-24-13, 08:57
Thanks

Safetyhit
02-24-13, 09:08
Thanks

May I ask what it is you are accumulating this information for? Preparing to be a surgeon perhaps?

Augusto
02-24-13, 18:22
In fact I'm writing a graduate law school thesis. It's hard to find this kind of information in portuguese (even in english). I'm trying to relate good wound ballistics literature with brazilian law, focusing on self defense. Let's see what happens...:smile:

Odd Job
02-25-13, 03:48
I wish you good success with that, Augusto!

MK108
02-26-13, 10:27
I'm looking for the book Evaluation and Measurement of Trauma, Normam E. McSwain, Jr. e Morris D. Kernstein, editors.

Didnt't find it at amazon or google. Does anyone know where I can find it?

Augusto,

please, take a look at:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0838524729/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

All the best
Andrea

Augusto
02-26-13, 13:14
Thanks, Odd Job!

Andrea, when I tried none showed up! Already ordered, thanks!