PDA

View Full Version : TacSol .22 LR AR 15 Upper

rman43
10-01-09, 14:47
About the middle of August, I bought an M4 upper through Midway USA. I put it on an RRA lower and made a couple of trips to the range. The gun would only function as a single shot. It would feed a round from the magazine, fire, eject and feed another round, but would not fire the second round. For some reason, the action was not recocking. Also when I pulled the bolt back with no magazine in the gun, the bolt would not return to battery without pressing the forward assist a couple of times. I sent TacSol an email and they suggested that I box up the whole gun and send it to them. They offered to pay shipping both ways. I sent it off on 9/9 and UPS tried to deliver it on 9/25. I wasn't home, but they made another delivery attempt on 9/28. There was no note in the gun case regarding the work that was done. The first thing I noticed was that the bolt no longer stayed open when no mag was in place. I pulled the bolt out and it appeared that they had done some polishing on the under side of the bolt and added a metal spacer/washer at the rear end of the recoil spring.

I made it to the range last night to try it out. I can only shoot from 25 yards at the indoor range, so I didn't really try very hard for accuracy. The shooting benches are narrow and too high and the 30 round magazine gets in the way. That makes it pretty hard for me to bench rest a rifle. I shot some Wally World Federal bulk 36 gr, and some Federal Auto Match 40 gr stuff through it. The Auto Match was definitely more accurate and both functioned flawlessly. I shot 100 rounds of the bulk ammo and 50 rounds of the auto match. This thing is a whole bunch of fun!

My hat is off Tactical Solutions. They changed this thing from a single shot to a shooting machine! Customer service like this is hard to come by - I'd say theirs is second to none!

Beck 27
10-08-09, 09:39
About the middle of August, I bought an M4 upper through Midway USA. I put it on an RRA lower and made a couple of trips to the range. The gun would only function as a single shot. It would feed a round from the magazine, fire, eject and feed another round, but would not fire the second round. For some reason, the action was not recocking. Also when I pulled the bolt back with no magazine in the gun, the bolt would not return to battery without pressing the forward assist a couple of times. I sent TacSol an email and they suggested that I box up the whole gun and send it to them. They offered to pay shipping both ways. I sent it off on 9/9 and UPS tried to deliver it on 9/25. I wasn't home, but they made another delivery attempt on 9/28. There was no note in the gun case regarding the work that was done. The first thing I noticed was that the bolt no longer stayed open when no mag was in place. I pulled the bolt out and it appeared that they had done some polishing on the under side of the bolt and added a metal spacer/washer at the rear end of the recoil spring.

I made it to the range last night to try it out. I can only shoot from 25 yards at the indoor range, so I didn't really try very hard for accuracy. The shooting benches are narrow and too high and the 30 round magazine gets in the way. That makes it pretty hard for me to bench rest a rifle. I shot some Wally World Federal bulk 36 gr, and some Federal Auto Match 40 gr stuff through it. The Auto Match was definitely more accurate and both functioned flawlessly. I shot 100 rounds of the bulk ammo and 50 rounds of the auto match. This thing is a whole bunch of fun!

My hat is off Tactical Solutions. They changed this thing from a single shot to a shooting machine! Customer service like this is hard to come by - I'd say theirs is second to none!

Can you take a pic of the metal spacer/washer at the end of the recoil spring? Please, please.

rman43
10-08-09, 11:41
Can you take a pic of the metal spacer/washer at the end of the recoil spring? Please, please.

Ask and ye shall receive!

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0386_Mod.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0386.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0387.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0377.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0379.jpg

Beck 27
10-08-09, 11:50
Sweet. Nice looking setup.

Thanks X 2 for pics.

rman43
10-09-09, 15:57
Sweet. Nice looking setup.

Thanks X 2 for pics.
Thanks! I ordered a CMMG 25 round magazine, a 15 round Black Dog and a TacSol maintenance kit (spare bolt parts) and they all arrived yesterday. Now I just have to get out and get some rounds down range!

Beck 27
10-09-09, 16:39
Thanks! I ordered a CMMG 25 round magazine, a 15 round Black Dog and a TacSol maintenance kit (spare bolt parts) and they all arrived yesterday. Now I just have to get out and get some rounds down range!

When you have some time, maybe a pic of the 15 round BD in the gun would be nice. I think I need to order on or two of those 15 rounders so I can better test my gun for different ammo flavors.

rman43
10-12-09, 08:23
When you have some time, maybe a pic of the 15 round BD in the gun would be nice. I think I need to order on or two of those 15 rounders so I can better test my gun for different ammo flavors.
I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow. I took it to the range Saturday and shot 100 rounds of Federal Auto Match and 150 rounds of Federal Bulk through it. Again, it functioned perfectly! It worked as well with the CMMG magazine as well as it did the Black Dogs and CMMG is somewhat cheaper. It's now up to 400 rounds without a single malfunction. Guess it's time to clean it and start over.

Beck 27
10-12-09, 09:41
I'll try to do that tonight or tomorrow. I took it to the range Saturday and shot 100 rounds of Federal Auto Match and 150 rounds of Federal Bulk through it. Again, it functioned perfectly! It worked as well with the CMMG magazine as well as it did the Black Dogs and CMMG is somewhat cheaper. It's now up to 400 rounds without a single malfunction. Guess it's time to clean it and start over.

A little off origional topic here. The Federal Bulk I have all seem to shoot with a consistant charge. I found some Federal Auto Match and thought I would give them a try. Seems like one or two out of each magazine I shoot, the charge sounds weaker than the others. I even went so far as to break my rifle open to make sure the bullet cleared the barrel.

rman43
10-12-09, 09:48
A little off origional topic here. The Federal Bulk I have all seem to shoot with a consistant charge. I found some Federal Auto Match and thought I would give them a try. Seems like one or two out of each magazine I shoot, the charge sounds weaker than the others. I even went so far as to break my rifle open to make sure the bullet cleared the barrel.
I've noticed the same thing. The first time I shot this rifle, I thought the Auto Match grouped better. The last time I tried, I shot 2 50 round groups from the bench with each. I couldn't see any significant difference in the 2 groups. Both function 100%. I need to try some other ammo and see if I can find something that groups really well.

rman43
10-12-09, 15:32
By the way, Black Dog has these on sale right now on their website for $20.

Beck 27
10-12-09, 21:19
By the way, Black Dog has these on sale right now on their website for $20.

I know. Just curious what they look like in the gun.

rman43
10-13-09, 08:39
I know. Just curious what they look like in the gun.
Sorry - didn't get a chance to take the pics last night. I will do it tonight and get them posted tomorrow.

rman43
10-14-09, 06:55
Here it is with the 15 round Black Dogs. (Actually this is my 5.56 gun, but they look identical)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0393.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0394.jpg

Beck 27
10-14-09, 08:32
Here it is with the 15 round Black Dogs. (Actually this is my 5.56 gun, but they look identical)

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0393.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0394.jpg

Thanks for the pics. Exactly what I was looking for to see how long they were in the gun.

rman43
10-20-09, 10:42
Took my 11 year old grandson to the range Sunday and let him shoot it. He had a ball! We put another 150 rounds of Federal Bulk through it without a problem. It's fired 550 trouble-free rounds now. It needs a good cleaning before I take it out again. I didn't get to shoot it much, but that's OK. My grandson sure had a lot of fun with it and shot it very well at 25 yards. Several guys at the range came over and bragged on his shooting. I think his head was a little bigger when we left!

the G Man !
12-24-09, 15:48
I just added my 2 Cents to the pot for an Lt from all the reads I was convinced to go with spikes drop in but I got to looking harder the work on the tacsol bolt appears to be second to none i have seen pics of and read about so I figure if I'm going to drop $220 shipped only to gunk up my other 223 barrels might as well get a dedicated Tacsol seems hard to beat for the $479 shipped w Black Dog Mag?.

So I did, my question here is that I have a Beretta 21 a that i bought a couple thou rounds of CCI Velocitors for and my berreta hates it but it loves the Stingers. I was curious do you guys think the Velocitor would be a waiste in the Lt?

Iceberg
12-25-09, 06:15
I picked up my new TacSol M4 for $400 at the last PDX gunshow w/ two Black Dog mags. While there I also looked at Spikes ($500) and Velocity ($375) uppers and picked the TacSol since it looked & felt the best quality. I have it mounted to a DPMS lower & it is a great setup.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll42/ekbergie/Remington%203200/AR%2015/Hunting008.jpg

orionz06
12-26-09, 19:53
I just added my 2 Cents to the pot for an Lt from all the reads I was convinced to go with spikes drop in but I got to looking harder the work on the tacsol bolt appears to be second to none i have seen pics of and read about so I figure if I'm going to drop $220 shipped only to gunk up my other 223 barrels might as well get a dedicated Tacsol seems hard to beat for the $479 shipped w Black Dog Mag?.

So I did, my question here is that I have a Beretta 21 a that i bought a couple thou rounds of CCI Velocitors for and my berreta hates it but it loves the Stingers. I was curious do you guys think the Velocitor would be a waiste in the Lt?

The recoil of the velocitors might be an issue, but I would just run a mag through it and see what it does... I believe TacSol will sell you a beefier spring to use with high velocity ammo.

rman43
01-13-10, 13:54
My grandson likes shooting my TacSol M4 so much that I don't get much trigger time with it when we go to the range. A while back Spikes Tactical had complete lowers on sale for $249, and like a woman shopper I guess, I bought one just because it was a bargain. Gunkings had TacSol LT uppers on sale until 1/10/10 for $479 with free shipping. I ordered one to solve my problem of not getting to shoot the M4 much. For a total of $728 I'll have another complete .22 LR AR. The light weight version should be just what the doctor ordered for my grandson to shoot. I'm anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I can't answer your question on the Velociters - I've never tried them, but I would sure give them a whirl and see if they work for you. I've only shot Wally World Federal 550 Bulk, Federal 375 Target Auto and Winchester 333s. The 333s are the most accurate, but so far they don't function very well in my M4 - stove pipes and light primer strikes. The others are 100% reliable. I also have some CCI Standard Velocity and Mini Mags, but haven't tried them yet.

gman622
01-14-10, 20:55
Thanks for the pics. Exactly what I was looking for to see how long they were in the gun.

Btw , what grip is that?

rman43
01-15-10, 08:15
Btw , what grip is that?
It's an Ergo right-handed grip.

rman43
02-17-10, 11:01
I finally got my TacSol LT upper in - can't decide which one I like the best, LT or my M4. I put a 4x16 scope on it to see what kind of groups I could get on the indoor range. It looks a little out of place, but once I find what groups the best, I'll take it off the LT and put it on the M4 and do the same. My grandson definitely likes the LT the best. I haven't got to shoot it much yet. The first time out I shot 70 rounds using Federal 550 Bulk, Federal 375 Auto Match, CCI Mini Mag HPs, CCI Standard Velocity and Winchester 333 Bulk. So far CCI Mini Mags look like the winner. My 11 year old grandson got some pretty nice groups with it Sunday using Federal Bulk from Wally World. He seemed to be able to match the lousy trigger in the Spikes lower better than me. I bought a Timney 3 lb solid trigger and put it in last night. Hopefully that will improve my groups.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0417.jpg

This group is with CCI Mini Mag HPs. Nothing to brag on, but not too bad.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/rman43/100_0425.jpg