PDA

View Full Version : Black Stainless Springfield Loaded

rjacobs
10-01-09, 21:24
My 1911 finally came in, I ordered it in July and they said it could take 6-12 months. I was pleasantly surprised when they called. Got it all cleaned up, haven't shot it yet. Stainless is hard to photograph(plus I suck at taking pictures in general so that doesnt help).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0915.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0911.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0917.jpg

This pic, although dark, shows the difference between the stainless and the black.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/rjacobs1/IMG_0912.jpg

The slide to frame fit is nice and tight and everything runs smooth. The trigger pull is a bit heavy, but I think it should break in nicely, if not, ill deal with that then. Its a crisp break, but heavier than some other 1911's I have shot. The only issue is that one of the grips is not tight at all, I have torque'd the screws as tight as I dare and its still wobbly(best term to describe it). Its almost as if the threaded piece(not sure the technical term) is to tall. I tried to screw them in a bit, but they wouldnt budge. Do they make those in different heights? Maybe its the grips, they feel cheap to me, even though they are Pearce grips, they are just black rubber. The two mags feel cheap compared to the couple of McCormick mags my dad has, ill have to order a couple of those and a couple Wilson's and try them out.

Pappabear
10-01-09, 22:18
The Springer mags are horrible to load. Very tight and one might expect them to malfunction. I hate them, but my TRP never malfunctioned when using them. Yes, I would try some other mags, take it into the gun shop and try them before you buy them. Whatever it is, let Springer know, they will take good care of it.

You should not have a problem.

JonInWA
10-02-09, 08:02
Regarding your grip screw issues, you might want to check both the screws and the bushings. It sounds like you might have an issue with the bushings.

Best, Jon

rjacobs
10-02-09, 08:52
Regarding your grip screw issues, you might want to check both the screws and the bushings. It sounds like you might have an issue with the bushings.

Best, Jon

The screws tighten down just fine onto the bushings when no grip is present. As far as I can tell they also tighten down completely when a grip is present. It seems as though the bushings are to tall. Do they make different lengths? It is weird that one side is nice and tight and the other is very loose.

CaptainDooley
10-02-09, 09:14
They do make different height bushings - standard and slim. Those grips look to be standard thickness, so they shouldn't be too tall... unless maybe the bushing isn't screwed into the frame far enough...

rjacobs
10-02-09, 09:18
unless maybe the bushing isn't screwed into the frame far enough...

I tried screwing them in a little bit and they were both tight on the frame, I didnt want to strip anything on a new gun that hasn't even been shot yet. Maybe its just the nature of these cheep rubber/plastic grips to not be to secure? Although its odd that one side is GTG and the other is loose. I guess I will email Springfield and see what they have to offer.

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 01:54
One of my first Kimbers had the same issue with the screws and bushings. I checked the screws against one of my other pistols and the screws for the Kimber were a small amount longer, thus preventing them from holding the grip as tight as it is suppose to when threaded all the way down in the bushing.

Hit the end of the screw with a belt sander and they work great. Something you might want to check. I also red locktite my bushings and blue locktite the grip screws. Some say you need to and some say you don't. I'm the king of shit shooting loose so I locktite pretty much everything.

rjacobs
10-03-09, 11:23
One of my first Kimbers had the same issue with the screws and bushings. I checked the screws against one of my other pistols and the screws for the Kimber were a small amount longer, thus preventing them from holding the grip as tight as it is suppose to when threaded all the way down in the bushing.

Hit the end of the screw with a belt sander and they work great. Something you might want to check. I also red locktite my bushings and blue locktite the grip screws. Some say you need to and some say you don't. I'm the king of shit shooting loose so I locktite pretty much everything.

Well what is weird with the screws is that they tighten down to where the head of the screw is tight against the bushing when there is no grip on it. I also tried some other screws and had the same result. Springfield is going to send me some new bushings to try out and see if that solves it, I just gotta call them next week since I got the message to late last night to call them back and give them my info.

obucina
10-03-09, 11:25
The Springer mags are horrible to load. Very tight and one might expect them to malfunction. I hate them, but my TRP never malfunctioned when using them. Yes, I would try some other mags, take it into the gun shop and try them before you buy them. Whatever it is, let Springer know, they will take good care of it.

You should not have a problem.

i had mag issues with my springfield mags:mad: but replaced them with Chip McCormack mags and everything runs pefectly.

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 13:12
Well what is weird with the screws is that they tighten down to where the head of the screw is tight against the bushing when there is no grip on it. I also tried some other screws and had the same result. Springfield is going to send me some new bushings to try out and see if that solves it, I just gotta call them next week since I got the message to late last night to call them back and give them my info.

Sounds good. Springfield has some of the best CS in the business IMO (right up there with Larue). You can call and talk to the custom shop guys and they will always take a few minutes to talk shop and get you squared away.

If it were me I would ditch the cheap grips as well and get a nice set of VZ grips. I love mine.

rjacobs
10-03-09, 13:16
Sounds good. Springfield has some of the best CS in the business IMO (right up there with Larue). You can call and talk to the custom shop guys and they will always take a few minutes to talk shop and get you squared away.

If it were me I would ditch the cheap grips as well and get a nice set of VZ grips. I love mine.

I am going to get new grips, but I think I should get these sorted first. If these grips fit like shit, I am sure any grip is going to fit like shit. I tried the two sets of grips off of my dad's Kimber and they both(an identical plastic grip and a Cocobola grip) and they were both loose. If the new bushings from Springfield dont fix the issue, the gun will go back to them to get taken care of. I read something on one of the 1911 forums about having to stake the bushings to the frame? Is there any truth to this or just make sure everything fits and then throw a little red locktite on them and re-install?

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 21:59
I am going to get new grips, but I think I should get these sorted first. If these grips fit like shit, I am sure any grip is going to fit like shit. I tried the two sets of grips off of my dad's Kimber and they both(an identical plastic grip and a Cocobola grip) and they were both loose. If the new bushings from Springfield dont fix the issue, the gun will go back to them to get taken care of. I read something on one of the 1911 forums about having to stake the bushings to the frame? Is there any truth to this or just make sure everything fits and then throw a little red locktite on them and re-install?

I haven't staked any of mine and I can't see how this would be superior to locktite. I've never had a bushing come loose on me after some red locktite in many thousands of rounds. I think staking them would just be a way to f-up your frame. YMMV.

Hopefully the new bushings from Springfield will get it fixed up and you won't have to send it back. Again............VZ Grips. I'm not a huge fan of wood but I love the linen micarta for all applications.

rjacobs
10-03-09, 22:07
I haven't staked any of mine and I can't see how this would be superior to locktite. I've never had a bushing come loose on me after some red locktite in many thousands of rounds. I think staking them would just be a way to f-up your frame. YMMV.

Hopefully the new bushings from Springfield will get it fixed up and you won't have to send it back. Again............VZ Grips. I'm not a huge fan of wood but I love the linen micarta for all applications.

Copy that on the staking, I had never heard of it till researching this issue.

I have seen a few I liked, I think some were made by Davidson, horned lizard maybe was the name of them.

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 22:11
Davidson makes very good grips. All of my grips are very "gunner grip" in style. I really can't remeber the last time I carried a 1911 concealed so the grip catching on clothing is not a concern.

ChicagoTex
10-05-09, 13:56
I don't understand, is this black-hued stainless like the Kimber Eclipse line?

If so, I might have to get one, that finish always called to me, but I much prefer Springfield to Kimber.

glockeyed
10-05-09, 16:04

If so, I might have to get one, that finish always called to me, but I much prefer Springfield to Kimber.

yup its "like" the eclipse. polished stainless flats, black edges. i believe the black on the springer is more durable than the park on the kimber. i know my eclipse shows every scuff. i haven't tried to do a "grease and bake" yet.

rjacobs
10-05-09, 23:28

I have not seen a Kimber Eclipse so I cant compare. As I understand what Springfields "Black Stainless" is is a blue'd stainless steel slide and frame and then various parts of the gun have a black(not sure if its melonite or parkerizing or what exact process it is) finish to them(cocking serations, top of the slide, bottom of the slide, front/trigger guard/bottom of the frame, etc...).

Everybody I have shown the gun to is blown away by the appearance. What is the saying "if it looks good it will shoot good"(I know that applies to airplanes so why not guns). I am gonna go to the range this week and shoot it and I will reply back with the results(although I dont expect they will be much different than any other 1911 range report).

glockeyed
10-06-09, 07:54
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/IMG_0547.sized.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/KimberEclipse02.sized.jpg

here is a good shot of the "scuffs" its not damage
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/IMG_0497.sized.jpg

CaptainDooley
10-06-09, 07:57
Looks like a similar concept.

Springfield Black Stainless:

http://gunsetc.com/shop/images/PX9152LP.gif

tex45acp
10-06-09, 08:22
It sounds like something is out of spec.

First...does the grip panel lay flat against the frame before installing the grip screw??? If not, two things could be out of spec.

One could be the wooden grip panel itself. Look to see if there is a shelf cut on the backside to clear the flange on the grip bushing. If it is cut out then either it is too small or the flange on the grip bushing it too large in diameter or too high.

tex45acp

rjacobs
10-06-09, 08:37
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/IMG_0547.sized.jpg

http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/KimberEclipse02.sized.jpg

here is a good shot of the "scuffs" its not damage
http://s-seriesforum.com/albums/firearms/IMG_0497.sized.jpg

That is exactly what the Springfield Black Stainless looks like in person, my photography skills basically just suck major ass.

It sounds like something is out of spec.

First...does the grip panel lay flat against the frame before installing the grip screw??? If not, two things could be out of spec.

One could be the wooden grip panel itself. Look to see if there is a shelf cut on the backside to clear the flange on the grip bushing. If it is cut out then either it is too small or the flange on the grip bushing it too large in diameter or too high.

tex45acp

Have you read any of this thread where SWATcop1911 and I discussed the issue?

Several different grip panels were tried with no change. Different screws were tried with no change. Tried to tighten the bushings into the frame a bit more(they wouldnt budge) with no change. Screws tighten down to the bushing all the way with no panel on(thus eliminating the screws as being out of spec). The only thing left is the bushings themselves and Springfield is sending me new ones to try before sending the gun back to them.

tex45acp
10-06-09, 09:17
That is exactly what the Springfield Black Stainless looks like in person, my photography skills basically just suck major ass.

Have you read any of this thread where SWATcop1911 and I discussed the issue?

Several different grip panels were tried with no change. Different screws were tried with no change. Tried to tighten the bushings into the frame a bit more(they wouldnt budge) with no change. Screws tighten down to the bushing all the way with no panel on(thus eliminating the screws as being out of spec). The only thing left is the bushings themselves and Springfield is sending me new ones to try before sending the gun back to them.

Oh I read it several times....and if you will re-read my post, I never made reference to the "grip screws" being out of spec. My whole post was directed to either out of spec grip panels or bushings. Had I known I would be chastized so, I would have never responded. I have had many customers bring me their guns with similar problems and believe it or not, the grips were at fault. I was just trying to help. Good luck on your solution!!!

tex45acp

rjacobs
10-06-09, 09:21
Oh I read it several times....and if you will re-read my post, I never made reference to the "grip screws" being out of spec. My whole post was directed to either out of spec grip panels or bushings. Had I known I would be chastized so, I would have never responded. I have had many customers bring me their guns with similar problems and believe it or not, the grips were at fault. I was just trying to help. Good luck on your solution!!!

tex45acp

You said you thought the panel's themselves might be out of spec, however in previous posts in this thread(which you said you have read), I stated that I tried 2 other sets of grips with no change, thus eliminating the grip as the culprit(or at least I would think it would eliminate the grip as the culprit). So unless those other two sets of grips are also out of spec(they aren't since they fit tight on another 1911), the grip I have is most likely not out of spec.

maximus83
10-06-09, 09:32
Nice looking black stainless, congrats on your purchase. I would echo the suggestion of getting a nice set of VZ or other grips on there, it'll really transform the grip AND the look.

I own one of these myself, and have actually turned mine into a custom 1911. It has a match barrel and a number of other enhancements, plus right now it's in the Springfield custom shop to be hardchromed. One enhancement I'd highly recommend, after you've broken in your trigger a bit and if you still want improvments: get a Cylinder and Slide drop-in hammer kit, which includes a high quality hammer, sear, and disconnector. These run around $140, you can drop them in yourself, and they will vastly improve your trigger pull. For a general-purpose 1911, I'd suggest their "Tactical II kit" (http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=458004).

rjacobs
10-07-09, 17:07
Finally had the time to go out and shoot the gun today. Put 200 flawless rounds through it. The first 4 or 5 magazines it didn't seem to want to load the first round from the mag, but after that it was GTG. Got down to my last 2 mag's of ammo and realized that the rear sight had come loose and slid out of the dovetail. Ill have to re-zero it from a bench rest and torque it down with some loctite I guess. I also realized I need more than 2 mags.

civilian
10-08-09, 10:54
I bought one at a gun show several years ago for c/a $500 and within 2 rounds ran into massive ejection problems. Cases were hanging up in such a way that I was banging the gun all over the place to get them out. Sat on it for a while and eventually sent it off to Dave Erickson to have him work his magic while I was overseas. Shoots just fine now.

Before
http://www.pbase.com/ashinoyu/image/111164193/large.jpg

After
http://www.pbase.com/ashinoyu/image/111155848/large.jpg