PDA

View Full Version : shortening buffer tube

gunner76
10-02-09, 10:05
I was playing around and shortened up the buffer tube 1 turn so the bolt doesn't go back quite as far, thought it would save some wear & tear on the bolt stop since the bolt doesn't have as far to go forward before it hits the stop. I was thinking of doing my other rifle, but was wondering if I'm just wasting my time or if it might actually help in the long run. Right now the bolt on the modified gun sticks out 1/8" in front of the back of the ejection port when the buffer hits the back of the tube and is 1/4" in front of it when the bolt hits the stop. On the unmodified gun the bolt is behind the ejection port when buffer hits the back of tube and is 1/4" in front of port when bolt hits stop.

markm
10-02-09, 14:16
Waste of time. The wear is negligible.

The bolt catch needs dwell time to move into place so it can reliably lock back. Shortening the stroke might cause the bolt to miss the catch if it bounces forward too quickly.

Iraqgunz
10-02-09, 16:16
Does "recipe for disaster" mean anything? I think it would be unwise and serve no purpose.

I was playing around and shortened up the buffer tube 1 turn so the bolt doesn't go back quite as far, thought it would save some wear & tear on the bolt stop since the bolt doesn't have as far to go forward before it hits the stop. I was thinking of doing my other rifle, but was wondering if I'm just wasting my time or if it might actually help in the long run. Right now the bolt on the modified gun sticks out 1/8" in front of the back of the ejection port when the buffer hits the back of the tube and is 1/4" in front of it when the bolt hits the stop. On the unmodified gun the bolt is behind the ejection port when buffer hits the back of tube and is 1/4" in front of port when bolt hits stop.