PDA

View Full Version : handgun swap

newyork
10-02-09, 11:54
Ihad a similar thread a few months ago but am back in the same position. I have 2 nighthawks as my only handguns. The 1911 fits perfect in my hand. I feel like they are beautiful accurate paperweights. There's 5 grand tied up there and not much ammo as well as a financial situation.
I'm thinking of selling both which breaks my heart but I really want anultra reliable gun that I get to shoot often.
I'm in NY and anything over 10 rds must be preban. Sucks.I have small hands. Here is my thought:
Sell both and buy one of these: MP45,G21sf,sig p220,hk45 or Beretta M9. Get 15 mags and 2000 rds of ammo and a holster and light. Put the rest in the bank and go practice or attend a class.
What say you M4C members? Like I said, selling 1911s will crush me but I want to shoot what I have, don't want to worry about scratches and need cash anyway. In the future I'd buy a duplicate or carry version of whatever pistol I choose.

Business_Casual
10-02-09, 12:47
For a couple of hundred bucks you could buy a .22 LR conversion kit and keep shooting the guns you have.

With the money saved, take some training from a tier one instructor (found here: https://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=88 ).

Don't worry about scratches. As someone's signature says: Beware the man with the well worn guns.

M_P

newyork
10-02-09, 13:29
that means spending more on the .22lr slide. i was thinking i'd sell 1 or both and be able to buy a cheaper polymer workhorse, mags , a ton of ammo and training. it would be sad not having those beauties anymore but i'd rather become proficient with something and count on it and my skill to save my life as well as having fun at matches, classes, the range etc.

Business_Casual
10-02-09, 13:31
It is a false economy. You've already invested in the guns, you'll never get more for them than by using them and shooting them.

If you just wanted someone to agree with your plan, you should say so.

M_P

newyork
10-02-09, 13:41
i guess just looking for a push in the right direction. i just thought my plan would give me some extra cash in the bank while still leaving me with a handgun , mags and a fair amount of ammo. keeping the 1911s and having ammo and money would be perfect. dont know if its possible though. thanks MP.

John_Wayne777
10-02-09, 13:59
You probably won't get sticker for one of your Nighthawk guns...or even both. I would advise taking a look at various EE's on websites and the auction sites to see what guns similar to yours are going for (and if they are moving at all) in a similar condition to yours.

That would be a good first step in determining what is feasible for you to do.

MarshallDodge
10-02-09, 13:59
You have two very well made 1911's that you enjoy shooting and that work for you. Like MP said, if you sell them then you are going to take a huge hit, enough to cover the cost of a couple polymer pistols. If you were able to afford these pistols then I see no reason why you wouldn't be able to feed them unless your financial situation has changed.

The 1911 platform is easy to shoot and learn on. I would save up a little money, invest in some reloading equipment, and find some reasonably priced classes in your area. Around here I have taken some good basic classes for less than $100 a day and the 300 rounds of ammo only cost me $35 because I reload.

newyork
10-02-09, 14:06
my financial situation has changed. i paid them both off via layaway and got amazing prices. i was working 2 jobs at the time. i now attend school full time and have 1 job that isnt paying well until the spring and summer seasons (restaurant). i live in a small cottage with no room for reloading eqpt. the 1911 is my favorite. just a tough situation here.

Hunter Rose
10-02-09, 14:09
The above is good advice. If money is an issue though, I vote for selling one. Use the money to buy a .22 conversion slide (like $250 or so) and then use the rest on ammo/training/putting in the bank.

I've found the .22 conversion as a priceless investment and can really stretch your training. Instead of doing 150 rds of .45 ACP in a session, you can shoot as much .22 as you want, shoot 50 rds of ACP to get some practice with actual recoil, and then you have still honed your skills and saved $40 or so.

If the Nighthawks are pretty much a standard configuration you shouldn't take too huge a bath on them, but it is currently a buyers market, so I wouldn't expect to get full value for them.

Also, since you live in a ban state, it's not like you will be getting a 15rd 9mm pistol, so the 8+1 capacity of a 1911 is plenty.

newyork
10-02-09, 14:18
thanks hunter rose. i have a talon and a 10-8. the 10-8 has a dawson rail and x300 and is no longer made. im thinking that i should keep the 10-8 because of this although the talon feels a little better and isnt as tight.

ThirdWatcher
10-02-09, 16:51
Consider reloading your ammo. When I was in college, I bought a single stage press and some .38 Special dies and if I wasn't studying, I was either shooting or reloading ammo. I know you have the cost of the press and dies but they pay for themselves in a very short time (especially at today's ammo prices).

I'd eat Top Ramen three times a day before I sold my NHC's.:)

ralph
10-02-09, 17:36
Consider reloading your ammo. When I was in college, I bought a single stage press and some .38 Special dies and if I wasn't studying, I was either shooting or reloading ammo. I know you have the cost of the press and dies but they pay for themselves in a very short time (especially at today's ammo prices).

I'd eat Top Ramen three times a day before I sold my NHC's.:)

Sound advice there, In 1981 I was a pipefitter apprentice...like you not making the greatest wages, and liking to shoot was causing some problems with my budget...One of my journeyman (former LEO) had some reloading equiptment that I bought from him, a single stage press, dies, scale, loading manual, for $75. I bought a powder measure for the press the following week for another $40.. I used that setup for 19years, before I finally bought a progressive press. You can start with a simple setup like I did, it dosen't take up alot of room, and roll your own..The money I spent to get started paid for itself over and over, The skill and knowledge I picked up along the way is priceless, and as a result I've been shooting my .45's 9mm's 5.56's about anytime I want..No ammo shortage here... Check around in gun shops, pawn shops for used reloading equpitment alot of times you can get it cheap. A good single stage press will never wear out in your or your grandkids lifetime, and needs minimal care.. .45acp is very easy to reload, and get excellant results with..

Alpha Sierra
10-02-09, 20:11
It is a false economy. You've already invested in the guns, you'll never get more for them than by using them and shooting them.

This is the first thing you have said that I agree with.

Irish
10-02-09, 20:46
Another thought is to put them on the for sale section of M4C and see what happens... ya never know! ;)

Business_Casual
10-02-09, 22:40
This is the first thing you have said that I agree with.

I'll alert someone. Perhaps in the media. ;)

M_P

newyork
10-03-09, 00:20
Another thought is to put them on the for sale section of M4C and see what happens... ya never know! ;)

i just did. if i get the right price, maybe i'll sell 'em. if not, i'll look into reloading.

SWATcop556
10-03-09, 01:31
I have a G19 NIB or a G26 LNIB that I will trade for the 10-8 straight across..........I'll even throw in 1000 rounds of training ammo and 7 NIW mags for the 19 or two for the 26 with the Pearce grip ext..................just sayin' :cool:

I agree that it is a false economy but if I really wanted to I would sell one and use the $$$$ to purchase a G19. Best all around workin mans gun. Thats why I have several. ;)

Even though I rarely carry my 1911's anymore I still dont think a collection is complete without one. Beside they work for you, right?

P.S.-No price on the 10-8 in the EE add.

Oscar 319
10-03-09, 06:18
I agree with the others. The Nighthawks are sweet.

If you are considering changing platforms and saving money, read what Hilton Yam had to say about the M&P 45 series of pistols.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&an=0&page=0#72516

Cincinnatus
10-03-09, 08:11
I agree with the others. The Nighthawks are sweet.

If you are considering changing platforms and saving money, read what Hilton Yam had to say about the M&P 45 series of pistols.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=72516&an=0&page=0#72516

If you get rid of those Nighthawks, you'll be kicking yourself for the rest of your life.:( I agree with the other poster who said that it would be better to eat ramen noodels three times a day.;)
I f I absolutely HAD to sell one, I would keep one and get an M&P or a Springfield XD in .45.

newyork
10-03-09, 08:20
I have a G19 NIB or a G26 LNIB that I will trade for the 10-8 straight across..........I'll even throw in 1000 rounds of training ammo and 7 NIW mags for the 19 or two for the 26 with the Pearce grip ext..................just sayin' :cool:

I agree that it is a false economy but if I really wanted to I would sell one and use the $$$$ to purchase a G19. Best all around workin mans gun. Thats why I have several. ;)

Even though I rarely carry my 1911's anymore I still dont think a collection is complete without one. Beside they work for you, right?

P.S.-No price on the 10-8 in the EE add.

the g19, ammo and a lot of cash is more like it. i have to have preban mags anyway. i posted a price for the 10-8. thanks

RyanS
10-03-09, 11:26
Don't do it. I talked myself into the same thing with my Wilson and Baer only to realize that things weren't that bad and that I couldn't afford to replace the guns.

Ed L.
10-04-09, 02:10
There is no way in hell that I would sell BOTH of those guns--especially the 10-8 model which is no longer made.

One of the biggest problems that I see people having in the gun world is having to have something right now and as a result making a poor decision rather than waiting even a year to enact a better one.

Example: people buying a low dollar AR that fails in major categories of the chart because that is all they have the money for rather than waiting a month, six months, or a year to buy a better one *providing they already have some half decent home defense type gun,*

Okay, you don't have sufficient money for training and practice right this moment. This doesn't mean it will be so for the rest of your life.

I would say that if you must, sell your least favorite of the two 1911s and buy a .22 conversion kit for the 1911 and a Glock 19.

newyork
10-04-09, 12:37
selling either sucks. i dont want to. id buy another in the future if i sold both. if i do sell both, it affords me to pay off a credit card bill and taxes i owe and buy an m&p45 or g19 and alot of ammo.

newyork
10-06-09, 12:46
thanks for the advice guys. i've thought about it and changed my mind . I'm keeping them both and paying my card off month by month like a normal person. i can always wait for the time when i can afford the ammo and training next spring. I couldn't do it.

RyanS
10-06-09, 15:47
thanks for the advice guys. i've thought about it and changed my mind . I'm keeping them both and paying my card off month by month like a normal person. i can always wait for the time when i can afford the ammo and training next spring. I couldn't do it.

Smart move. You would have regretted it.