PDA

View Full Version : Glock 34 IWB concealed carry options

Rider79
10-02-09, 12:29
I searched 5 different ways and found little info on this.

I currently ccw a Glock 19 or 2nd Gen 17 in this:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Inside-the-Pants-Leather-Concealment,1151,1418.htm

I would like to start CCWing my 34 IWB, does anyone here do this? The holster I'm currently using won't work, because the end of the slide and sight pokes out the bottom of the holster. The taller Warren sight can get hooked on the bottom of the holster. I looked at the Raven phantom as a possibility, if I use this, can I also run a 17 or 19 in it, or is it too specific to the 34? And does anyone have any other holster suggestions for CCWing a 34?

oldtexan
10-02-09, 16:50
I carry a G34 with attached Surefire X400 and Surefire DG-11 switch in a Raven Phantom kydex holster worn as an IWB at 3:00 on a 1.75" Galco leather belt. I'm using their rigid over-belt clips (they call them IWB over-hooks)to attach the holster to the belt.

I've tried Blade-Tech and Comp-Tac holsters for various gun/light combos and the Raven is my favorite.

The Blade Techs are good, heavy duty, but their attachment points are right over the gun and this makes the rig thicker than the Raven and Comp-Tac and is thus more susceptible to printing. The Blade Tech also moves around more on the belt than the Comp-Tac or especially the Raven.

The Comp-Tac CTAC that I have is very flat, resists printing, but isn't nearly as stable or sturdy as the Raven.

The Raven is very stable, very flat, and very adaptable (various attachment methods, various cants, IWB or OWB, etc). They make them for the gun with any of about 10-12 different lights and for the gun without a light. Turnaround from order to delivery last time I ordered (about 5-6 months ago) was about 4-5 weeks.

This holster works fine when I put an X400/X300/X200 equipped G19 in it instead of a G34 but I don't know how well a non-light Raven for a G34 would work with the G19 or G17. My guess is that it would be a solid fit, but that's just a guess.

JHC
10-02-09, 22:10
I've a FIST model 1K (kydex) straight drop for a G34. It's a decent and economical IWB for $35. Not necessarily up to Todd's retention drills. but otherwise pretty darn functional. I found the 34 too long to routinely carry IWB but the holster was up to it.

87GN
10-03-09, 02:24
When I carry the 34, it's in a Comp-Tac MTAC. I think the Raven Phantom with an X300 would be too bulky. My Raven for the 19/X300 works for my 26, retention isn't great without a light, but it works. My ultimate choice would be a Raven with no light...but I have the Raven Phantom for the 1911 with no light and that is CCW nirvana...will order one for the 34 at some point.

Rider79
10-03-09, 09:41
I'm thinking of the phantom model, with the loops, since that's what I'm used to already. Anyone use this setup?

John_Wayne777
10-03-09, 11:47
I use the RCS Phantom with rubber loops for IWB. It's unquestionably the best IWB holster I have ever tried. I generally carry without a light mounted IWB.

Rider79
10-03-09, 13:05
I use the RCS Phantom with rubber loops for IWB. It's unquestionably the best IWB holster I have ever tried. I generally carry without a light mounted IWB.

Will there be any fit issues if I carry my 17 instead for some reason?

CarlosDJackal
10-03-09, 13:11
This is what I use when I was carrying my G35 IWB: Kydex IWB Holster (http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html)

Rider79
10-03-09, 13:30
This is what I use when I was carrying my G35 IWB: Kydex IWB Holster (http://www.blade-tech.com/In-the-Waistband-IWB-IDPA-APPROVED-pr-820.html)

I'd really like the Raven, but I don't want the extra cost of the loops and I don't want to wait a month and a half either. Well, the extra cost isn't that big of a deal, I just don't want to wait. I think I'm going to grab this one, then put an order in later for the Raven.

John_Wayne777
10-03-09, 13:55
Will there be any fit issues if I carry my 17 instead for some reason?

Nope. I frequently carried a G26 or G19 in my G17 Phantom without issue. A friend of mine who was in desperate need of a carry gun and some good gear carries the G26 I sold him in the RCS Phantom for the G17 daily without issue.

kmrtnsn
10-03-09, 15:09
I don't understand the logic of carrying a full-size plus pistol in a concealed capacity, especially attempting inside the waistband when there are much better alternatives. To get a G34 to fit IWB, especially with a light attached, one would have to go up 2, maybe three waist sizes. Why buy clothes to fit around a carry gun? The goal is supposed to be discretion and concealability; the whole reason behind compact and subcompact pistols in the first place. This sounds like a shining example of the wrong tool for the job.

87GN
10-03-09, 15:16
I don't understand the logic of carrying a full-size plus pistol in a concealed capacity, especially attempting inside the waistband when there are much better alternatives. To get a G34 to fit IWB, especially with a light attached, one would have to go up 2, maybe three waist sizes. Why buy clothes to fit around a carry gun? The goal is supposed to be discretion and concealability; the whole reason behind compact and subcompact pistols in the first place. This sounds like a shining example of the wrong tool for the job.

I use the same pants for the 26 that I use for the 34 which are the same pants I wear when I'm carrying a 1911, which are the same pants that I wear when I go out of the country and am not carrying IWB: size 34, and I have a 32" waist.

JHC
10-03-09, 16:58
kmr - way way way wrong. G34 is no thicker than my G19 (ditto above poster). This in not an exceptionally thick gun. It is the VERY smart gun carrier that carries the most shootable, accurate and fast handling pistol that he can manage.

34 isn't my choice but 19s, 17s, and 1911s are. A G34 is similiar length and height to a 5" 1911.

John_Wayne777
10-03-09, 18:26
. Why buy clothes to fit around a carry gun?

So I can effectively conceal the weapon.

The goal is supposed to be discretion and concealability; the whole reason behind compact and subcompact pistols in the first place. This sounds like a shining example of the wrong tool for the job.

Not so.

I wear the same pants whether I'm carrying IWB or not. I have adapted my mode of dress around carrying the life saving tool. I select all of my clothing with concealment of a firearm and the necessary accessories in mind. Personally it takes no more special effort for me to conceal a full sized M&P or a Glock 17 than it does to carry a Ruger LCP as far as mode of dress for most occasions goes.

Should it actually come time to use the weapon I am carrying to stop a threat, I would sure as hell rather be armed with the M&P or the G17 than the LCP because it is a FAR superior tool for the job. As the old saying goes, when in a gunfight nobody has ever wanted a smaller gun or less ammo.

Compact weapons have their place. Personally I carry the more compact weapons like the M&P 9C or Glock 26 when even the slightest hint of printing is unacceptable. Otherwise I pack the full sized pistols because, ceteris paribus, I shoot them better.

Rider79
10-03-09, 21:10
I agree with JW777. Even though I own a 26, I've never carried anything smaller than a 19. Since I added my 17 to my CCW permit I've started carrying that. The extra half inch or so doesn't make a difference. As for clothing, I'm going to wear larger clothing anyway. I'm not small, I'm a nightclub doorman here, and I played offensive line in college. I have a closet full of 4X Dickies buttondown shirts that will cover anything I need to, and no one would expect me to be carrying. As for pants, I wear loose fit jeans anyway, so that's not an issue either. I figure I should carry the biggest gun that I shoot the best.

Vash1023
10-03-09, 21:14
comp tac infidel

http://www.comp-tac.com/